[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the study of liberal arts so stigmatized these days?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: 124914981414.jpg (480 KB, 1582x1142) Image search: [Google]
124914981414.jpg
480 KB, 1582x1142
Why is the study of liberal arts so stigmatized these days?

Surely all knowledge has value?
>>
>>66049312
no
>>
>>66049312
Wish that were true, but it's just pointless idealism.
>>
>>66049312
There are a few non-stem degrees that are fine. A general business degree is great, despite what the memes tell you. Graphic design and web design are also highly employable.
>>
>>66049312
whats your problem with history faggot
>>
File: plato.jpg (106 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
plato.jpg
106 KB, 800x600
>>66049888
>I didn't read the comic right

also, Philosophy Master Race
>>
government's shouldn't be subsidising a fucking interest/lifestyle which is what liberal arts degrees are, they provide nothing of worth. as for the pic, stem degrees don't all get you money granted but numerate degrees are so much more useful than non-numerate generally, and if your stem degree is engineering or medicine it's definitely going to get you money
>>
>>66049312

It does have value, just not monetarily.
>>
>>66049312

> why are the liberal arts so stigmatized these days

1. Because large portions of academia are cucked, although it's not quite as simple as "Liberal arts = bad, STEM = good", that's just a meme.

2. Because now that everyone is required to go to college, rather than just the intellectual elite, the point of college has degenerated from higher intellectual pursuits to "Get trained to make money", and liberal arts, while valuable (particularly philosophy) don't necessarily translate well into money-making.

3. Because the price of college has shot up so dramatically, it is seen as more foolish than ever to pursue a degree that doesn't deliver a significant return on investment.

It is terrible what has happened to higher education. Do not believe the bullshit. You shouldn't be demonizing either aspect of education. Everyone should at least get a taste of doing something on the liberal arts like philosophy, doing something on the technical side like STEM, and doing something where both meet, like political theory.
>>
>Why is the study of liberal arts so stigmatized these days?

Modern critical theory, which is core to the leading work done in the liberal arts now ignores truth, knowledge and science in favor of political advocacy and posturing.

In addition, this work is completely worthless in the marketplace.
>>
File: 1456962842906.png (295 KB, 584x558) Image search: [Google]
1456962842906.png
295 KB, 584x558
>>66049312
ONLY IF YOU GO TO WORK FOR A HEDGE FUND AFTERWARDS
>>
I think higher levels of education should be subsidized. Masters and PhD level, because that it when liberal arts actually start to matter. Undergrad education is just absolutely pathetic, anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together could pass without actually having learned anything.
>>
>>66049312
Because liberal arts were ruined by people who think free thinking is either sexest or racist.

You can only think one way or else.
>>
It's just too difficult to do anything with a liberal arts degree in today's economy. If this was 20 or 30 years ago, people with liberal arts degrees would be a lot more respected.
>>
>>66049312
I don't blame the discipline, I blame universities/colleges for teaching shit.
>>
Most people with liberal arts degree have no idea what their endgoal is. If you're like me and know you're destined for being an attorney or a teacher, then you can plan. Not being a dumbfuck Marxist is key.
>>
In all honesty, most employers jut want to know that you have a college degree. Thats why networking and building a portfolio, no matter what career you're hoping to get into, is more important than what label is on your degree.

The more higher education you get in the fields of arts, the more prestigious you become, more highly respected, more knowledgeable, more well-read, etc. If you really want to pursue arts I recommend continuing into a graduates degree and PH. d, but that can just be done as you go along with your career, doesn't have to be all at once.

Better to spend time and money getting a degree learning something you really want to instead of keeping money as your only motivator, that'll just leave you jaded and depressed.

Be enlightened, not a sheep.
>>
>>66050640
I took numerous political science and ethics courses in my bachelors degree.

The only thing it did is remind me that people who have no idea how science works still are somehow arrogant enough they can decide everything about it.
>>
Because all the non-degrees get lumped in with it.
>>
File: 1451775203700.jpg (1013 KB, 971x3604) Image search: [Google]
1451775203700.jpg
1013 KB, 971x3604
>for thousands of years liberal arts would be studied along side science
>only in the 21th century they've been split
>People studying stem fields are morally degraded
>Humanitarians are retarded
>>
>>66049312
>Why is the study of liberal arts so stigmatized these days?
How it is stigmatized when there's more peopley studying liberal arts than there are studying STEM subjects?

It is stigmatized by reddit and 4chins because there's a lot of bullshit in lilberal arts like biased research and pushing agendas.
>>
Always wonder, if "a.wyatt mann" is still around, could he copyright le happy merchant?
The guy deserves to be a millionaire. That single jewface captures a million different aspects of jewry in one face.
>>
File: SWQIiTh.gif (2 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
SWQIiTh.gif
2 MB, 300x168
>>66049312
>>
>>66049312
Western society is a cesspool. You can't be presented with a septic tank filled with shit and then be expected to make something edible from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL5S0DIXk2M
>>
File: 1455857004183.jpg (108 KB, 540x562) Image search: [Google]
1455857004183.jpg
108 KB, 540x562
The immoral masses must be brought back to reality.
>>
>>66052184
No, the split dates back well in to the early 20th century. It was effectively the same system we had now when my grandfather graduated in 1938. The difference is that the sciences grew larger and more complex, to the point where even a brilliant master of one field can barely fit all the necessary knowledge into his brain while still retaining the common sense to dress himself, let alone be grounded in the arts or philosophy.
>>
>>66049312
The problem isn't liberal arts, it's the fact that college has become high school 2.0. Just having a degree meant a lot more back in the day. Personally I studied history and philosophy but it was at a liberal arts school that really harped on critical thinking and didn't even officially offer a CS degree as far as I know. I'm baffled how most people find jobs other than just settling for whatever.
>>
>>66052739
That school now teaches the immense importance of having a vagina, and why women must not shave their armpits, but are obliged to dye it pink. You cis-het trigger-inducing normative binary-gender! C'mon, like. wow. just wow. It's 2016.
>>
>>66049312
Independent studying liberal arts is a good thing. Lots of material for free online these days to learn. However many youngsters think it'll get them jobs for some reason. Liberal arts is not a career path, just a fun path to do on your own time.
>>
>>66052924
I agree, but you should distinguish between liberal arts as a major and liberal arts schools. Unfortunately most liberal arts schools tend to force a shit ton of gen ed liberal arts classes on everyone regardless of major. It's infuriating to be analyzing Euthyphro with a bunch of morons who couldn't care less.
>>
Who philosophy major here? Or even just humanities majors in general, I feel like we don't get to hear that side of /pol/ as often.
>>
I would rather hate the possibility to work in something I like.
I'm studying Design in hope to work in Graphic Design or Numeric Design.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.