[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't all countries invest on those? You save the planet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: solar-panels.jpg?t=1416860323.jpg (485 KB, 810x486) Image search: [Google]
solar-panels.jpg?t=1416860323.jpg
485 KB, 810x486
Why don't all countries invest on those?
You save the planet and in the long run tons of money too
>>
>>65815101

because I like to have my energy when I want it as opposed to when nature decides. They're expensive to buy, to maintain and the output isn't as great as alternatives. Even wave power is better than this.

Wish they'd solve the corrosive contraints with geo-thermal soon. Get this stupid rock working for us if it wants saved so badly.
>>
>>65815101
>Why don't all countries invest on those?

Because those aren't reliable around all year in most locations. Solar panels are only good for summer cottages on summer.
>>
>>65815101
>renewables
>save anything besides your ego
They are considerably worse than FF or Nuclear when it comes to radioactive leakage into the environment and solar panel production has caused significant clusters of childhood cancers to develop in areas surrounding manufacturing plants and the mines that supply them.
>>
Costs for PV are only going to go down.

If it gets cheap enough storage stops being a problem. Just heat up a bunch of rocks to >600 degrees C and use it to run a steam turbine or in the near future high temperature thermo-electric generator, that can be done at 50% efficiency.

The whole water use for cleaning is also just silly, PV panels are covered with glass and don't need super high optical quality, you can just have a robot brush them clean most of the time.

If the global economy manages to chug along long enough to progress technology and trade countries with high sun day deserts will have huge economic advantages.
>>
>>65815212
I never said complete transition you can have hybrid
They not as expensive as you think and they getting cheaper every year also they don't any more maintenance than cleaning them up everyone now and then (rain can do the job to)
And wave powers sucks

I don't know what are your sources but you've got to do better than the conservative propaganda
>>
File: Planetary_Orbits.jpg (2 MB, 2678x3047) Image search: [Google]
Planetary_Orbits.jpg
2 MB, 2678x3047
>>65815923
>They not as expensive as you think and they getting cheaper every year also they don't any more maintenance than cleaning them up everyone now and then (rain can do the job to)

Let me introduce to radical concept of winter. It has something to do with orbits and axial tilt of this planet. Solar power kinda sucks in winter because days aren't exactly long and rain kinda covers those panels rendering 'em useless.
>>
>>65816137
>doesn't know what hybrid means
>rain covers solar panels

lmao
Alright buddy, I am done taking your baits
>>
File: LKS 20141119 Buffalo 27321376.jpg (66 KB, 580x385) Image search: [Google]
LKS 20141119 Buffalo 27321376.jpg
66 KB, 580x385
>>65816339
>>
>>65816137

A Cypriot doesn't quite have the same kind of winter you do.
>>
>>65815212
fossil fuels appear cheap because the costs are externalised and subsidised
>>
>>65816339
he's right.

solar panels won't be as effective in some latitudes since they get very different amounts of sunlight throughout the year

in places on the equator would be your best bet except every country on the equator is a third world shit hole
>>
While I think investing in renewable energy is a good idea, the energy needed to purify the silicon to make a solar panel is greater than the energy generated by them.
>>
>>65815101
Considerably more expensive than fossil fuels and it's money spent now for Un uncertain return in the future.

What they are good for is decreasing your demand for oil and gas which limits the ability of Russians to charge you top dollar.

Of course thats not an issue now. You won't see anyone investing in solar for the next few years until oil and gas prices go back up.
>>
>>65815101

Don't work at night when we need most of the power for heating and light.

Storing the power in batteries is inefficient and costly.

The raw materials needed to build them and the lithium batteries leave a massive carbon footprint.

Nuclear energy is the only solution
>>
>>65816339
It rains every day in ireland. The robot workforce your talking about is unfeasible. Also it has to actually get dry for dirt to be brushed off the panels. What we would have is moss growing on the panels.

>Okay so hot sunny countries only.
They are full of poor fags.
>>
File: 1353946692643.gif (1017 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1353946692643.gif
1017 KB, 500x281
>>65815101
Lmao a friend of mine's job is maintaining a few such installations across the country.
They are shit and the only reason people invested in them is because the state was obliged to buy electricity from them at a very high price.
Solar can't compete without subsidies, and we're the ones paying higher bills for it.
>>
My uncle works in a prototype carbon neutral fire station. They had to switch everything off because none of it works.

The windmills are deafening so they got switched off, the solar heats the water to steam and can't be controlled, the rainwater storage tanks have no pressure so they take too long fill a fire engine so that doesn't get used either.

Everything gets switched on when schools or politicians turn up to review.
>>
>>65815101
It requires tons of maintenance, it saves you $0 unless you live near the equator. And even then you might have sandstorms that destroy them
>>
They get dirty and need to be cleaned.

They start to lose efficiency the moment they are made.

Transmission lines cause a loss of efficiency.

Over the useful life of the cells. They end up costing more resources than they are worth.

Negative returns.
>>
File: British-Summer.jpg (62 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
British-Summer.jpg
62 KB, 600x399
>>65815101
Because we don't get any fucking sun over here
>>
>>65817908
My dad fell for the green energy meme and got involved in household solar panels/windmills.
Made some money off of it but it didn't last long.
>>
>>65815101
It's dark half the year and cloudy the rest half
>>
>>65815101
The government ruined solar by washing out private investment and providing subsidies. As it currently stands solar is a poor investment but given time it will become a viable source in the power mix but it will never replace baseload power. Nuclear energy, fusion in particular, is the future of energy.
>>
RARE

C
Y
P
R
I
O
T
>>
File: tfwtfw.png (11 KB, 200x240) Image search: [Google]
tfwtfw.png
11 KB, 200x240
>>65818802

>tfw you'll never live in england with a qt pom girl and snuggle every morning when its raining and foggy outside

>tfw youll never be a depressed alcoholic brit
>>
>>65819348
>qt
>England

Sorry m8, they don't exist here, they all look horrible. And after a while you'll be complaining about the weather everyday like everyone else.
>>
>>65815101

Most countries in the western world do.
The problem is dumb greenies think that solar and wind - the two most temperamental sources of green energy - are the best power sources to run an entire country's national grid from when they aren't.
Something like hydroelectric dams, tidal reservoirs or geothermal are much better options because they have a much more reliable source of energy.
>>
>>65815101

Why worry about it until we have to? Global Warming is a real thing, but it's half-bullshit. There isn't ever going to be any "point of no return." Use oil until it's gone then move on to the next thing, obviously the environment can only get better from there since the black death is all gone.
>>
>>65815212
>because I like to have my energy when I want it as opposed to when nature decides.
Are people really this stupid? No wonder solar power isn't a big thing, you have these retards literally believing that bad weather or a cloudy day will leave them without power.

Holy shit it doesn't get more stupid than that.
>>
>>65819692
>bad weather or a cloudy day will leave them without power

It leaves them without satellite to watch tv, that's the only terms people understand.
>>
File: asolarirrad.gif (19 KB, 670x396) Image search: [Google]
asolarirrad.gif
19 KB, 670x396
>>65819692
>you have these retards literally believing that bad weather or a cloudy day will leave them without power.

It will affect amount of solar radiation that will reach the panels. Are you claiming that it doesn't effect energy output of solar power at all?

What about the occasional spell of bad weather called winter. You know sun barely raises above horizon and snow... usually last from late October to late April or early May.
>>
>>65815923

I've done plenty of research of my own, chief. Good luck shilling your garbage on /pol/ of all places.

Cheaper for theconsumer (here, at least) for gas and more reliable.
>>
>>65815101
The tech still isn't durable, efficient, or inexpensive enough. We still need a couple of decades.
But we'll get there. Believe it, saving money is something everyone wants to be able to do.
>>
>>65819692

All over Northern Ireland's north coast people were subsidised to put solar panels up and every single one of them had to have back up power for evenings and weekends because it doesn't store enough.

Source? I fucking live there.
>>
>>65820071
Yay! i live in the read zone, with the 1 for 1 deal we get in the NT my 4.5kw system means my bill is always a credit. And the system came with the house!
>>
>>65819182
Why would fusion be less expensive than fission? Fusion is a toy that military nations want to play with because it ensures absolute energy security and gives their scientists something to do.

Laser and magnetic research under the guise of saving the planet. Really the technology will be used for point defense on ships.
>>
https://youtu.be/ObvdSmPbdLg
watch this video, goyim
>>
>>65821672
>pragerU
Christian and jew shills. No thanks.
>>
Warren Buffet spent millions to make sure Grid Tie Fees are super high so his energy company can keep making huge profits.

Solar customers spend with a specific plan and now costs have sky rocketed.

So Nevada lost its solar due to billionaires paying off legislatures.
>>
>>65815101
>You save the planet
Yeah! You can "save the planet" by mining out more of its resources!

HA!
>>
>>65815101
Not much sun around at winter.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.