[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me what Greek Orthodox is about? I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3
File: JCLIFEGV.jpg (58 KB, 300x406) Image search: [Google]
JCLIFEGV.jpg
58 KB, 300x406
Can someone explain to me what Greek Orthodox is about?
I have a Greek room-mate and his local priest came over to the house

>blessed every room in the house while singing prayer in what I assume was Greek
>chucked water at me and said some blessing
>guy even went into the backyard and blessed the dogs and their kennels

This has me interested, what's the difference between Greek Orthodox and every other western religions? Also I thought religious people hate dogs, why did he bless the dogs?

Pic related, room-mate has a pic that looks exactly the same.
>>
>>65719927
>what's the difference between Greek Orthodox and every other western religions?
Short version: It's Christianity, much closer to Roman Catholicism than to protestantism.
> I thought religious people hate dogs
You're retarded.
>>
File: there you go.png (36 KB, 268x237) Image search: [Google]
there you go.png
36 KB, 268x237
>>65719927
it's Greeks being all about Jesus.
>>
>>65720036
>You're retarded.

I come from a christian background and specifically remember people saying how dogs/cats/animals in general don't goto heaven and are impure, and I think everyone knows what muslims think of dogs.

Not sure how that would be retarded to think Greek Orthodox had similiar feelings? I was surprised, I would assume they would waste the holy water or whatever it is on dogs, if they don't think they goto heaven.
>>
>>65720447
>I would assume they would waste the holy water or whatever it is on dogs, if they don't think they goto heaven.

wouldn't*
>>
>>65719927

The short version is that they're Catholics who said "we don't need a fucking Pope" a thousand years ago.
>>
>>65720447
>remember people saying how dogs/cats/animals in general don't goto heaven and are impure
Hate to break it to you, you were actually raised in a cult. Whatever people believe about whether animals have souls, their "impurity" doesn't come into the picture in any normal version of Christianity.
>I would assume they would waste the holy water or whatever it is on dogs, if they don't think they goto heaven.
They blessed the house but you weren't confused about whether he thought the house was going to heaven.
>>
>>65720447
Dogs are good, they're in the Bible as allies for humans, or pets on occasion. Even Jesus referred to them as pets in a parable once. Although they're still not regarded on the same level as humans quite.

No they're not impure or unclean, that would be pigs.

People have their own opinions on everything regarding Church. No one knows if animals are in heaven, but since its thought that they don't have souls like humans, they probably don't. What you heard growing up was one guy's take on it, not everyone's or even the majority perhaps. Every sect has their own ideals pretty heavily.

Its not that they're "Impure so they don't go to heaven", that has nothing to do with it. People just think so because the souls thing. Man is supposed to be the only thing with a soul probably.
>>
>>65719927
Can't you read wikipedia?
>every other western religions
There is only one western religion, retard. Called Christianty.
>>
File: you tell them girl.gif (461 KB, 200x154) Image search: [Google]
you tell them girl.gif
461 KB, 200x154
>>65721045
>>
>>65720447
>specifically remember people saying how dogs/cats/animals in general don't goto heaven

They don't go to heaven because they're souless, not because they're impure.
>>
>>65719927
Bible was initially written in Greek so Orthodoxy is much closer to the true faith than Latin using apostates.
>>
>>65719927
Nah, nigga there's a saint has a dog head. Apparently some guys misread Canaanite as Caninite and said "fuck, let's, guess this guy should have a dog head".
>>
>>65721193
>They don't go to heaven because they're souless, not because they're impure.

People have had NDE's with their pets in them. God knows how much our pets mean to us and i think that they can go to heaven.
>>
>>65721421
Latin is also liturgical language of Orthodox Church
>>
>>65719927
Similar to other orthodox churches.

>Also I thought religious people hate dogs, why did he bless the dogs?
Only muslims and maybe some ultra orthodox jews
>>
>>65721045
>Catholicism
>Thousands and thousands of protestant churches
>>
Greek American here

Basically, Orthodox and Catholicism were under the same book until small subtle differences took place. The Orthodox decided to split off and become it's own thing. They are Christians and the main plot of God/Jesus is the same sans for some minor differences in the Bible
>>
>>65719927
http://orthodoxwayoflife.blogspot.ro/2010/01/blessing-of-homes.html
>>
>>65721045
Oh god where to start
>>
>>65721919
>The Orthodox decided to split off and become it's own thing.
Actually the opposite.
>>
>>65720537

Wrong, the pope (former bishop of Rome) declared himself infallible and formed the Roman Catholic Church.
>>
>>65722203
holy fuck you're stupid
>>
>>65722154
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_East–West_Schism
>>
>>65722203
>>65722304
Oh boy. You long crossed the point where it's getting pathetic
>>
>>65722314

No, you are. Fucking hell what kind of education do you get in America?
>>
>>65722383

Educate yourself.
>>
>>65719927
idk man im baptized greek orthodox. greeks aren't religious at all we just go to church and stuff because of community. only old people are more religious. 40-60 year old greeks start to pretend they're religious. early families in their 30s do religious shit just so their kids can go to greek community stuff. below that, religious greeks are in the far minority but still attend church occasionally

our priests just like blessin shit yo
>>
>>65722314
Don't tell me what your parents told you every day, ok? I'm not your therapist.
>>
>>65722314
.... lol what
Catholics broke off from orthodox..
>>
>>65719927
Your room mate is a nutjob. Orthodox Christianity is about keeping the religion as authentic as possible. Catholics tried to interpret it the way it fits them, so were told to go fuck themselves. Catholic church is basically reddit, the pope has twitter and tries to act cool. Also no pedos, since most orthodox priests are married.
>>
>>65719927
If you have a Greek roomate then why dont you ask him?

Or ask the fucking priest since you met him?

Telling you about it its literally his job.
>>
>>65722401
non religious education
>>
>>65722304

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
>>
>>65720447

nobody knows what theyre talking about, sorry bud
>>
>>65721665
>Latin is also liturgical language of Orthodox Church

my sides!
>>
>>65722810

That's no excuse for not knowing basic history. Especially an event that divided Europe for centuries even up until today.
>>
>>65721665
Greek Orthodox church uses Koine Greek.
>>
>>65722346
There are different parts of Christianity, catholic, greek and Russian orthodox, and shit ton of Protestant
>>
>>65722478
>greeks arent religious.
Maybe not in the states :^) even my barely religious cousin got all his kids baptised and my younger cousin who is a father to be will also get them baptised.

>its just a baptism
I dont think people take baptisms serious anymore when they are
>>
>>65722715
He was in and out very quickly. I sperged out after he flashed me with the holy water, didn't expect it. Don't wanna sound like an autist by asking housemate what just happened lel.
>>
>>65719927

Worse than catholocism, better than Mormonism.

In Romania retarded old people are thronging to kiss dead people and to get tap water which is considered "holly" because some guy said a prayer.
>>
>>65723077
So?
>>
No no no actually Jesus got it wrong when he said some people aren't made for marriage. Unlike him put your wife before God and be as little as Jesus as posible.
t. Orthodox
I sometimes pray when I'm not busy
>>
>>65723077
>greek and Russian orthodox
It's just one Orthodox Church, organised in multiple autocephalous bodies.
>>
>>65723176
well, greeks are strong baptism just because of tradition. not so much religious sense. I want my kids to be baptized even though i'm basically secular in every sense of my life
>>
>>65723176
>even my barely religious cousin got all his kids baptised and my younger cousin who is a father to be will also get them baptised.

This doesn't say much. I know atheists and a pantheist girl who got married in an orthodox church because "that's the romanian tradition".
>>
>>65723295

Orthodox monks don't marry for example. A priest should be married. Marriage is in fact one of the 7 holy mysteries. A priest that isn't married can't really give advice to a married couple, can he?

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Holy_Mysteries
>>
Nobody knows what theyre talking about in here it seems.
>>
>>65723182
Asking doesnt make you sound like an autist.

In fact your roomate should have said something along the lines of

>hey m8, dont freak out, he's gonna spray a few drops of water around and on us. We do this every year or so. Its tradition. I could arrange it when you're out if you're uncomfortable. We cool?

I'm guessing he was an idiot
>>
>>65723658
This is genuinely the first time an orthodox gave me a rational argument for this. Are you serb?
>>
>>65723804

I am, not that it matters much. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
>>
>>65723967
Why don't you believe in purgatorium? What happens to good souls who haven't been baptized, or christians who sinned before death?

Serbs seem to be the most educated and engaged in religion, at least here in Germany.
>>
>>65724385

The way we put it a man that is too bound to earth through sin (Which is earthly desires etc) will not feel the heavenly pleasures, because his desire for earthly pleasures is too strong.
It's like a junkie who suddenly misses his drug.

Atheists on the other hand have not "known" Jesus Christ and have turned their back on him. So Christ will reciprocate this in the godly realm, walking past them, as he doesn't know them either.
>>
>>65724725
>>65724385

Of course all of this is speculation. There's things we simply don't know. In the end only God knows how he will judge who, even though Catholicism wants you to believe otherwise. But there are visible signs and the soul of each person. In Serbian we have a term for a "Sixth Sense" of the soul, a sense for the godly and good that doesn't find its way in this meaning in Latin or German translations. We divide between "Um" which is this sense I described and "Duh" which means Soul. In German both of these terms are translated with "Geist".
This is I think one of the most underestimated differences between catholicism and Orthodoxy. Orthodoxy is a lot more mystical with a much greater focus on the soul and the holy mysteries.
>>
>>65724725
What about those without sin shall throw the first stone?

>>65725340
>Orthodoxy is a lot more mystical with a much greater focus on the soul and the holy mysteries
Yeah already know about that

Can you rec an orthodox cathechism or something? Book preferrably since 99% of orthodox infos online are cosplaying and circlejerking
>>
>>65725754

To be honest a good start is http://orthodoxinfo.com/

This website is dogmatically flawless and gives you a nice overview over various topics and also gives you access to a lot of great articles from many people that know more than me.

I'm glad to see you're interested. I recommend the articles about Western Christianity to you. Also it answers most of your questions about Sin, Afterlife etc.
>>
>>65726220
thanks
>>
Who /usedtobegreekorthodoxbutdon'tgiveafuckaboutreligionanymore/ here?

Haven't been to church since my pre-teens.
>>
>>65726742

That is sad, to put it simply.
>>
>>65726742
Every other redditor
>>
>>65727113
>>65727957
*tips*
>>
>>65719927
greek Orthodox and ukrainian orthodox famous for their kind of relationship to god and christianity
>>
>>65727957

If you want a Book I recommend "The Soul after Death" by Seraphim Rose.
It will give you better insight on the questions you asked.
>>
>>65721919
Catholics broke off of the Catholic aposolistic orthodox church
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.