[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Oregon coast will mostly be destroyed during the next mega-quake
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8
File: OC.jpg (275 KB, 1161x1098) Image search: [Google]
OC.jpg
275 KB, 1161x1098
The Oregon coast will mostly be destroyed during the next mega-quake and tsunami, killing up to 100,000 if it hits during the height of the summer tourist season. Should the area be gradually evacuated, or should we try to engineer it into safety?
>>
File: 1455306761384.jpg (384 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1455306761384.jpg
384 KB, 2048x1365
>>65685975
The solution is simple:

we build a wall
>>
>>65685975
>THIS
story is finally catching traction.
Might not happen for another hundred years or it'll happen tonight,
but it's going tonight or no longer than hundred years.

NorCal to Vancouver BC
>>
Both.

Situation's fucked. Even when people are made aware of the problem, nothing can be done about it. Funds can't be allocated to move people, zoning and shit can't be changed. It's all tied up in red tape.
There are people who aren't aware of it, but there are also plenty of people who are powerless to do anything about it even if they knew, because they're too poor.

I really wish humanity would have some kind of high risk certainty clauses built into their systems so we could just push all of the obstacles aside when shit needs to get done.
>>
Why would I want to save them? They're the reason Oregon and Washington state have been lost to rampant liberalism.
>>
>>65685975
Just leave things alone and let people assess the risk for themselves, you nanny-statist.
>>
File: everythingwillbefire.jpg (221 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
everythingwillbefire.jpg
221 KB, 1280x960
>>65685975
A M9.0 and massive tsunami are survivable, provided you're prepa--

and your country isn't filled with people who'll loo--

Good luck guys.
>>
Sometimes you just can't 'engineer things to safety'

100,000 dieā€¦ You bury them and carry on.

Natural disaters have been happening forever and they will continue to happen from time to time.

That's why I won't leave my basement in southern Ontario.
>>
>>65687869
You're thinking of Portland and Eugene. Those are inland cities. The coast was traditionally based on fishing and logging.
>>
>>6568779

Lets live life based on probabilistic theories

Lets all live underground !

Lets become mole people.

Lets kill ourselves

> faggot leaf
>>
>>65688313
One of my engineering professors here is Japanese and keeps going on about how Fukashima disaster could have been prevented if Tokyo Electric CEO was an engineer rather than businessman and actually took care of his plant. Apparently some plant in a nearby town got hit the same but was actually well maintained and so it didn't break and is still working fine today whereas Fukashima is a disaster.
>>
File: IMG_0824[1].jpg (155 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0824[1].jpg
155 KB, 900x675
>>65687795
There is construction that can survive a tsunami, though.

Pic related is a coastal cement plant that was struck by a 25-meter-high blast of water in Aceh, northern Sumatra, Indonesia.

Notice how the rounded concrete of the silo structure survived everything the ocean threw at it, due to physics.

Tsunami survival shelters can be built in this manner, but it is expensive to build enough of them to house all the expected evacuees.
>>
100,000 is pretty tame tbqh mi familia. That's like one battle in ww2 on a slow day.
>>
>>65690067
Onagawa, in Miyagi. He's not wrong, but the bigger mistake was putting the emergency generators in the basement, and not building the walls high enough. Onagawa in naturally higher, has higher walls, and generators were at the roof. No flooding, no loss of power, no meltdown, no problem. Hell, people in the town evacuated to the plant.
>>
>>65685975
Let's not tell anyone and let them die. Nothing of value will be lost.
>>
>>65690207
Aside from Fukushima, isn't the 2011 earthquake mostly a success story?

Sendai was only 130km from a gigantic 9.0 quake, but it had very minimal damage. Port-au-Prince lost 100,000 people to a 7.0 quake due to poor construction.

The main problems were tsunami walls that were too short. But that's just a construction problem.
>>
>>65690402
Yep, a lot of buildings were write-offs, but the quake was larger and longer than everything was built for, and there were still very few death related to collapses/debris falling, etc.

I was on the 16th floor of a building in Sendai when it hit and I figured I was a dead man.
>>
>>65690601
It's very impressive from an engineering perspective.

But it turns out that tsunamis can be bigger than people expected. 30m walls should be the new standard instead of 10 or 15.
>>
>>65685975
I have generations of family here that go back to pioneers so I'll be staying.

Not like there is much to be destroyed. The Democrats have run every company excluding a few tech companies out of the state with excessive taxes and regulation.

Be warned, once the tech bubble pops, you're all gonna start seeing a lot of Portland refugees
>>
>>65690207
Thats awesome, good to know. Thanks!
>>
>>65690601
Jesus that's horrifying

I'm a geologist, and we have a saying about earthquakes: "Buildings kill people, not earthquakes." It refers to the fact that the main cause of death in an earthquake isn't the quake itself, but the resulting collapse of infrastructure. You could be right at the epicenter of a 9.0 earthquake, but you would be fine if you were out in the open.
>>
>>65690932
So fucking true, the only jobs now are in the tech field because companies are being ran out or just can't afford to hire anyone to get out production for manufacturers.
>>
File: 110952819.jpg (635 KB, 1024x743) Image search: [Google]
110952819.jpg
635 KB, 1024x743
>>65690892
It's a matter of contention; people in cities where the ocean view was a popular tourist attraction want a different solution (rezoning and relocation, etc), not some Attack on Titan wall that will kill the tourism they rely on.

Other place are combining tactics, but it's difficult to get people to agree on a plan and get the government to fund it too.

>>65690970
Onagawa was also the fastest built nuclear plant in the world.

>>65691026
I'm not, but I've heard that one. I was fine outside of my desk smacking me in the head when I took cover (everything was sliding), but a friend of a friend almost lost an eye when some glass came falling down.

I'm also kind of scare of soil liquefaction.
>>
>>65690932
I used to live in Newport, so I have a lot of affection for the coast. But in a tsunami, all the low-lying areas are simply going to be gone. The harbor, perhaps the liquid natural gas plant, the beaches, and a few of the hotels - destroyed.
>>
>>65685975
>tfw just moved to Warrenton

I guess this will put me out of my misery.
>>
>>65691459
RIP
>>
>>65691607
Please just hold off another 3 or so years until I am able to leave again. I'm only here for the Coast Guard.
>>
>>65685975
OP there are a ton of natural disasters with potential 50,000 - 100,000+ death tolls waiting to happen all over the country. The New Madrid Fault could give way and decimate Memphis and St. Louis. Little Rock, Nashville, and Louisville would sustain serious damage as well. The aftermath would make Katrina look like a cakewalk. Yellowstone would be a global disaster. Mt. Rainier could blow and take out the suburbs of Seattle.

The coming century will be full of happenings out of our control.
>>
>>65691660
Well, guard the coast properly when it happens Anon. It's your job.
>>
>>65691692
I don't like this anymore ;_;
>>
File: screammonkey.jpg (102 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
screammonkey.jpg
102 KB, 500x371
>>65691730
You're better off at sea than on land if a tsunami is coming for you. There's some pretty rad footage of the JCG surfing the 3/11 tsunami, want me to look?
>>
how can you expect us to care about a 100,000 Americans when there are Muslim Refugees to take care of?
>>
>>65691783
Sure, nip-friend. What I really worry about is my wife who lives here with me. I wouldn't have anything to live for if she died.
>>
File: Caribbean2Fig1_1000[1].jpg (73 KB, 1000x652) Image search: [Google]
Caribbean2Fig1_1000[1].jpg
73 KB, 1000x652
>>65691668
Just in terms of quakes, I think the (realistic) biggest potential disasters in the US are actually in NYC and Puerto Rico.

Long Island (which includes Queens and Brooklyn at the western tip) has a history of 6.0+ quakes. If one of those hits NYC itself, it would bring down thousands of unreinforced brick buildings, potentially destroying underground subway lines as well, and killing tens of thousands at the least.

Puerto Rico's northern coast is directly south of the boundary between the Caribbean plate and the North American plate. A megaquake on that fault would send a giant tsunami directly into San Juan, a metro area of over 2.5 million people.
>>
>>65691668
I can't hardly wait.
>>
>>65691866
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-mkzcxnJS8

Not as bad as I remember.

People in Iwate prefecture have a saying "tsunami ten den ko", it means you just flee for high ground in a tsunami. Take a car as far as you can, but abandon it when you're stuck and keep running. Don't wait. Don't stop, Don't turn back. Just go for high ground. Pass that along if it helps your peace of mind

Here's based Japanese Coast Guard saving a . dog stranded on wreckage offshore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d2PR_Qm-ZI
>>
>>65691192
They're out of control. They raise taxes for businesses then give intel enormous tax breaks. It just isn't profitable for a lot of companies.
>>65691392
They expect the entire wilamette valley to be destroyed. No power, crumbled bridges, everything.

It doesn't mean much until the ground starts moving though.
>>
>>65685975
make mexico pay for sea wall
>>
>>65685975
>have hippy drug festival there
>win
>>
>>65689254
Fuck off there are some decent people in portland, you just have to look into the white neighborhoods on the sw side. Shit man i collect milsurp and shit, i cant die!
>>
>>65693110
Yeah, sure, there might be some decent bros in Tualatin. But what does that do to amend the enormous chunk of leftist idiots in the city proper?

And I'm not some hick philistine who looks down on "book-learnin'" or professionalism. I think Powell's is a great place. But the general worldview of these people is incompatible with reality.
>>
>>65692036
>>65692036

OH MY GOD JAPANESE SHIPS SOUND JUST LIKE ANIME SCI-FI ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE FEMALE COMPUTER I'M DYING THANK YOU.
>>
>>65693289
There are a lot of us around here but we have a very vocal population giving most of us a bad name. They don't have any real problems and worrying about every little thing is what keeps them going.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.