[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should there be only one langauge?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 6
File: MGSV_quote.jpg (49 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
MGSV_quote.jpg
49 KB, 1600x900
http://www.debate.org/opinions/should-there-be-only-one-language-in-the-world-which-everyone-speaks

From the first comment in the NO section:

"But NOT English

It's my first language but it's not the best language, objectively and scientifically. Linguists categorize English as a "strong future" language and have found that these languages by requiring the future to be marked lead to people thinking too little about the future leading to more impulsive decisions particularly with finance. German and Chinese are "weak future" languages.

Any universal language constructed should be a "weak future" language. One thing English does have going for it is the lack of grammatical gender which goes along with a decrease in sexism, so a universal constructed language should also have no grammatical gender.

This does NOT mean people have to give up their own languages, just that there should be a common language for people to communicate in.

As language is studied further maybe we'll find that different languages fit different contexts better than others, so maybe we could construct a "language suited for science" or a "language suited for art" or a "language suited for..." you get the idea."

your thoughts /pol/? should there be a universal language that eliminates the language barrier?
>>
>character based languages
>tonal languages
>gendered languages
>good

lol nah. English is almost flawless, it just needs spelling reform.
>>
wtf are you fucking kidding me? how can people think that german or other languages with binary genders are more inclusive? fuck them, i'm a trigender otherkin and this literally triggers me. they think they're so progressive because they're feminists like that was decades ago you otherkinist fucks. in 50 years, this will be studied in history books and a little wolfkin boy will raise his hand in class and asked why they thought they were being nice when they tried to literally erase his identity
>>
>>65675540
nah chinese is better because it allows for more abstractions to be expressed easily and less barriers than english has built into its general structure
>>
>>65675867
>less barriers
>takes way longer to learn than every european language
>>
So you're saying that Australia has already made a language for shitposting
>>
>>65675431
the last time everyone shared a language, they tried to build a retarded tower to heaven so god bitchslapped them so hard they learned different languages
the tower was the tower of babel
>>
>>65675867
It might be better if it didn't have a thousand character alphabet
>>
>>65675867
>Chinese
>uses heiroglyphs for writing serving as a huge obstacle for literacy
>tonal language
>>
>>65675925
>muh slang is so hard to learn this makes english the hardest language
fuck off you moron that's the shittiest meme argument you could make
>>
>>65676039
>muh bible
>>
>>65675431
Anyone remember Esperanto? I didn't think so.
>>
>>65676180
>other languages don't have slang
>>
>>65676308
was referring to the common misconception that english is the hardest (so americans are just accidentally even more smart now woah convenient) when they try to argue english being a difficult language
>>
>>65675431
Kojima is a hack fuck off
>>
i think spanish is a good language that makes sense all around. just take out the genders and you're good. english has way too many exceptions and inconsistencies to be our future language. it's also rougher and a pain to speak. spanish has rythm and is fluid.
>>
>>65676180
I was referring to Chinese taking longer to learn, not English.
>>
>>65676519
Spanish is the lengua franca of poverty. Fuck that noise.
>>
>>65675867

Your executor will enjoy putting you up against the wall, you globalist kike heathen.

Tower of babel fell for a reason.
>>
>>65676611
That's what I thought you meant. I don't know how>>65676180 fucked it up so hard.
>>
>>65676519

No thanks. Spanish is the language of corruption and retardation. I don't want to give Southern and Central America anymore power than it already has.
>>
Fuckin' binary, dawg.
>>
>>65675431

The perfect language should:

Not be tonal
Have "one letter-one sound" spelling. (Spanish, german and japanese when written in latin alphabet come close to this.)
Be very flexible when making new words (English is good for this)
Use "subject first- adjective second" grammar. (Like spanish)
Be able to give several nuances to a verb through conjugation.

The perfect language is a spanish - english - german hybrid.
>>
>>65675431
English is indeed best, most technical and precise language that has incredible vocabulary depth and ability to adapt and consume loanwords.

Also, none of this metaphorical/simile bullshit like in other languages where objects/concepts in the language are given with similes to others, or requires bullshit cultural knowledge to understand

Looking at you, Frenchies. Pomme d'Terres, aka apples of the earth is NOT a good translation of the word POTATOES.
>>
>>65676927
>"One letter one sound"
Fuck off, syllabic languages are complete shit
>>
>>65676519
>just take out the genders and you're good
So you can have your fuckery of xir, xe and zir again?
Fuck that, chairs are females and cars males and that's the way it should be.
>>
>>65675431
>tfw I found this thread while on my break from MGSV
>>
>>65677016

fite me m8
>>
HOLD YOUR PRESS RIGHT HERE OP

JUST LISTEN TO ME

LISTEN...

LEONARDO DI CAPRIO JUST WON OSCAR FOR BEST ACTOR!!!

HE DID IT!!!!
>>
>>65675431
No.
>>
>>65675431
it should be symbols and everyone carry a dry erase board. pretty hard to fuck up figuring out a box with a triangle on top is a house or a crude drawing of a pistol.
>>
>>65677391
what movie?
>>
>>65675431
Communists tried this long ago with Esperanto. Nobody speaks Esperanto. Because it's communist.
>>
SUCH LUST
>>
>>65675431

Great, so just like esperanto, a bunch of bored geeks will invent a language which will have fewer fluent speakers than Klingon.

Free market picked English. Maybe later it will pick Chinese, but not today.
>>
File: 07985487580.png (264 KB, 538x512) Image search: [Google]
07985487580.png
264 KB, 538x512
>>65677579
Honestly how can this one language thing could work?
What do you do with all the people who don't speak this new language?
How do you stop the new generations from learning the old language when everyone around them are still speaking the old one?
>>
>>65675794
>German
>binary gender
Well you're wrong
>>
>>65677391
and the other Leonardo is an alien from the planet vinci.
>>
you realize, since most international communication amongst common people occurs over the internet via text, that then no common language is required by simply a program that instantly translates to everyone else in their own language.

Fucking communists wanting their open borders and travel rights * hurrr we need to be able to talk eachother guys!!! *
>>
File: c1kkDxr.jpg (62 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
c1kkDxr.jpg
62 KB, 960x540
>>65675431
There's only one language I care bout, naw im sayin dawg?
>>
>>65677763
you do what china did and kill them
>>
We all used to speak the same language before the Tower of Babel. Then God confused everyone, and now we've got Ebonics and Japanese and stuff.

We should be grateful - the last time we pissed him off he deaded everyone except Noah.

Anyway, best leave well enough alone. Savvy?
>>
>>65677016
why? it makes the most logical sense and is the simplest. would you prefer to have hundreds of combinations of drawings like chinese?

>>65677027
fuck you paco, the world needs to be less sexualized. not every object needs to have a dick or pussy just so you can know if you can fuck it. go get beheaded.
>>
>>65677194
Okay m8, here's where syllabic languages fall down, and we'll take Japanese as the example.

Each single syllabic phoneme is a letter, which in latin alphabet is romanised as shit like "zan", "gyou", "bu","tu" etc whatever.
These are all short, open phonemes which are never lengthened as in the words boon or straight, and are open in the sense that the phonemes are never self-ending.

Additionally, when translating in japanese, these words do not fit into the syllabic language because the phonemes just don't exist because of the short/open nature; worlds like run, ran, rung, rang, wrong, for example, all require a new syllable letter for EACH AND EVERY ONE of them.

So to get around that, you get single syllable words are transformed into two or three, or sometimes 4 syllable words.
>>
>>65677763
The Irish language is going extinct despite concerted efforts from traditionalists to get young people to learn it.

Languages are human. And like everything that's human, they have human traits including a lifespan. They're born, they live, and then they die.
>>
>>65675431
>should there be only one langauge?
no
a diverse language set provides a diverse manipulation of ideas for problem solving
>>
>>65675431
it is impossible and stupid

globalist shills all should fuck off, even if you made everyone learn a language it'd deviate into dialects and get wrecked by accent within no time at all

tell me as en english speaking person if you understand a very scottish accent, go on faggots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4hflV0fY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5XyecKONu8

that wasn't even approaching the worst example

BUT YEAH GLOBAL LANGUAGE POSSIBLE AMIRITE

cunts you insult me with your shit
>>
>>65677477
So basically replace language with emojis. Seems like we're well on our way.
>>
>>65678203
tfw responded too late but see my post >>65678417
You go for a syllabic language and you end up with having to have hundreds, thousands of letter-characters for them, which is the prime reason that Japan, and China, have hundreds of combinations, the same thing you deride, and why several alphabets exist between them
>>
>>65678417

>syllabic
>phonemes
>romanised

Protip: You can't teach anyone a goddamn thing using words that no one knows WTF they mean.
>>
>>65675867
Chinese script is a fucking disaster though
>>
>>65675431
How can people even say yes on this one?
>>
File: 1456024793301.jpg (30 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1456024793301.jpg
30 KB, 600x400
>>65678678
hope you're not fucking serious
>>
>>65675431
Create a new language, have everyone agree on it and learn it, if you cant learn it... too bad
>>
>>65676927
Latin. let's just go back to Latin.
>>
>>65678678
>I'm too retarded to do a quick google or remember highschool English
Romanised japanese is japanese in roman aka latin alphabet, you baka gaijin
>>
>>65676159
What about Chinese with Latin phonetic alphabet (modified as needed)? I heard Chinese grammar is pretty simple
>>
>>65677016
syllabic languages are beautiful to listen to mate, it's almost addictive.
>>
Let's go back to latin
>>
>>65678842
2bh japanese has a lot of completely frivolous words and it is easy to miss some things when you're listening to something
>>
>>65678778

Uh, yeah, sure thing pal. Take a poll of 50 people on the street and find out how many of them know what a fucking phoneme is.
>>
>>65678811
latin sounds super evil imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiLT29hDhag
>>
>>65677662
WHOOOOOOO?
>>
Anyone who can think knows that it should be a "medium future"
>>
>>65679026
Struth
>>
>>65675431
>your thoughts /pol/? should there be a universal language that eliminates the language barrier?

This is the worst idea that could even be spoken. Trust a stupid fucking leaf to come up with it.

A language barrier is a cultural protection.
>>
>>65677391
And he used his speech for fucking climate change.
>>
>>65675431
Also, English is still best and most spoken language when combining first and second language speakers, trouncing Chinese and Spanish as the 2nd and 3rd places
>>
>>65675431
This has been tried before in 1887 with Esperanto.
>>
>>65679232
>aussie flag
nice one, you almost got me
>>
>>65679136
if i ever use 森羅万象 in context i'll be amazed 2bh

when you've got words purely for arty poetic use it gets to be a pain for people to learn it

another is あらいざらい instead of zenbu or whatever else you'd likely say. i sometimes wonder if even your given nip citizen can read high level stuff but that's probably just hubris
>>
>>65678598
it's still mostly the same written, which is the goal. except for slang.

to be able for governments, scientists, and traders to communicate is the goal.
>>
>>65676936
>English is indeed best, most technical and precise language that has incredible vocabulary depth and ability to adapt and consume loanwords.

Yes, it is. I say this often. There's a reason why analytic philosophy took off in the Anglosphere and not France.
>>
>>65678767
because if everyone speaks English, we don't need to speak other languages when we travel and we can understand each other better.
>>
>>65679411

>Best

That's debatable. The spelling is a catastrophe.
>>
op here

I hope people realized that comment about "weak language or strong language" was quoted from one of the comments, from the link I provided.
>>
>>65680222
your article also said
>grammatical gender which goes along with a decrease in sexism, so a universal constructed language should also have no grammatical gender.
which is fucking stupid. fuck off globalist jew shill
>>
>>65679629
>I sometimes wonder if even your given nip citizen can read high level stuff but that's probably just hubris
Nah, you'd be right in that. Nip literacy for kanji is atrocious, and given that there are over 2000 that they're expected to learn, I'm not exactly surprised that they don't do that well, and it's not used all that much in regular life.

>>65679810
Spelling and word construction might be horrendous and absolutely non-sensical (i before e for example), but that's largely because of the propensity to absorb loanwords from other languages, and to create new words, including from the old languages of Greek and Latin than because of the language itself. Regardless, the ability to say the same thing in a multitude of ways without losing meaning is incredibly useful.

Also, spelling confusion is just a matter of learning how the word is written, and is a tertiary problem compared to the size and issues caused by syllabic languages like the discussed Japanese.

>>65679694
Don't forget that French is a state language too, whereas English is one that was allowed to develop on its own.

It's all the free market of ideas.
>>
>>65675867
Chink writing is objectively inferior.
>>
>>65675431
We must revive the ancient sumerian language and bring backk the old anunnaki gods
>>
>>65675431
I elect Dwarven as the universal language.
>>
>>65677765
You guys have 6.25x10^52 different articles.
>>
>>65678846
Intonations in the Chinese language is incredibly annoying. Korean and Chinese are two languages that I find absolutely abhorrent to subject my ears to. The only thing Chinese has going for it is the sheer number of people who speak it. However, breeding like rabbits doesn't give your language any merits.
>>
>>65676927
I'd agree with that.
>>
>>65676159
>uses hieroglyphs
>enabling far more ease of speed reading
>>
File: 1411703454182s.jpg (8 KB, 174x231) Image search: [Google]
1411703454182s.jpg
8 KB, 174x231
>>65680620
Fuck it, lets all go back to latin.
>>
>>65678652
>I either don't know what a syllabary is or don't know Korean
>>
>>65680327
like I said, that comment was posted by other users online. I did not wrote that so stop shitposting aussie.
>>
>>65676244
Mi amas Esperanton!
>>
>>65675431
English is the most spoken language. If we pick English, then we already have a head start.
>>
File: 1170910414379.png (8 KB, 256x223) Image search: [Google]
1170910414379.png
8 KB, 256x223
>>65676039
a melting pot make a tower to heaven
"multicuturalism" left it abandoned
>>
Artificial language is an abomination pushed by people who wish to police language.
>>
>>65679056
Take poll of 50 people on an american street, find how many of them know who their president is.
>>
>>65675431
it would be nice to have a comon, required language. the problem is, even that gets jacked up over a few decades. i've gone to several "english-speaking" countries, and they end up picking words "they think" translate to the ideas of their mother tongue, but it just sounds funny. plus annunciations go all over the place. it's possible but we'd probably have to limit it to 2,000 words and basic grammar to keep it standard. complicated ideas would be hard to transfer
>>
>>65678089
>everyone except Noah
>except Noah
>except ONE person who is in capable of reproduction without a mate.
>>
>>65678431
Precisely. That's why languages need to eat, sleep, shit, piss and pay taxes
>>
>>65681761
Weird. They all responded Obama.
I'm supposing you were expecting a different result?
>>
>>65682079
cute.

show me a language that isn't human.
>>
>>65682278
I think Latin might be a dragon. It's an ancient tongue that is mystical in nature.
>>
>>65682170
ask about the vice president.

or just watch jay walking, watter's world, louder with crowder, or any of the other derivative clones.
>>
>>65682338
oh fuck, you better not look up arabic then. the shahada might blow your mind.
>>
>we want a language with less sexism
>gendered language speaking countries like Mexico, spain, china all are pretty damn sexist

Do liberals really know how dumb they are?
>>
>>65675431
I have no idea what the fuck the "But NOT English," argument was trying to say, or how they proved that English is not a viable language.

While it is my first language, it's still versatile.
>>
>>65675431
Maybe, but first we should focus on getting only one race.
White race.
Git gud color scum
>>
>>65681839
Sounds like newspeak.

When you start destroying words, that's a worrying trend. But you are correct about the inherent problems, although I would think that the internet would stem most of the problems, at least in the countries where the majority of the population has internet access.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.