[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /pol/, in December I graduated from college with an IT degree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: man-laughing.jpg (592 KB, 2255x3138) Image search: [Google]
man-laughing.jpg
592 KB, 2255x3138
So /pol/, in December I graduated from college with an IT degree and a 2.7 gpa. Tomorrow I will be starting a $73,000 job.

What happened? I went with an autistic stem major and hardly tried in school, I thought I was supposed to be screwed.
>>
>>65652391
congrats on your success. hopefully you wont fuck shit up in your new career
>>
>>65653526

Well, thank you.

That was unexpected.
>>
>>65652391
>it degree

you majored in something useful that people need
that's why
>>
File: jdimsa.png (626 KB, 788x720) Image search: [Google]
jdimsa.png
626 KB, 788x720
>>65652391
Good job, what's the job's description, anon?

>tfw I dropped out of an IT degree during first year because "I didn't like it"
>>
>>65652391
Enjoy getting outsourced or replaced after a couple years. Also, enjoy spending a ton of extra time keeping up with current technology.
>>
>>65653857

Head over to /g/ and talk about IT. They'll just laugh at you saying that IT is for CS dropouts, but most of the people there just parrot what they have seem others say and know nothing about either industry.

>>65654934

Maintenance of existing systems, agile development and integration with existing systems.

That may have been in your best interest. You really have to have a passion to do this stuff or else you'll hate your life.
>>
>>65655387
It is for CS drop outs.
>>
>>65655301

In between shitposting here pretty much all my free time is spent reading about industry stuff and certs because... I actually enjoy this stuff.

Imagine that, doing for a living what you love.

Usually don't see Americans perpetrating the outsourcing meme. You must not work in the industry.
>>
>>65655301
sour grapes
>>
>>65652391
>thinking 70k is a lot

I got 130k, moved from yurop to SF, and lived like a poor person, because fucking SF. I thought for a long time that $130k was regular wage, because of my quality of life.

Now, three years later, I'm in Austin with 90k job, and am far happier.
>>
>>65652391
>buying propaganda about majors

Anyone can make any degree work anywhere if they're motivated enough.

If someone gets that lesbian dance theory degree and does whatever horrific satanic sacrifice is required to create even a tiny bit of demand for it, they can make a living.
>>
>>65655747
>flag
>>
Stem is the easy-faggy way to moderate wealth. Enjoy your mid tier mantoys and fat wife
>>
>>65652391
You're going to be thoroughly mediocre in one useful thing. That's better than being an unparalleled genius in half of the university-recognized fields simultaneously.
>>
>>65655855
>what is visiting family for vacation
>>
>>65655613
>>65655648
Nah. I'm a CS/EE double major. Sorry you guys cant even do basic algebra.
>>
>>65652391
hey OP

HS drop outs make twice that doing construction work, which is 90% a bunch of hanging around cracking jokes or hiding and taking naps
>>
>>65656002

Ha...

Leave it to a kid still in school to talk mad shit about something he knows nothing about. Fuck off back to /g/, pls.
>>
>mfw it jobs require you to sit in front a computer all day and then you do the same when you get home. therefore, 16+ hours a day in front of a computer

>enjoy your broken hips by 40
>>
>>65655877

Heh...yeah

Look at the time!

I gotta go! Bye!
>>
>>65656104
https://www.reddit.com/r/jobs/comments/42lsiz/how_to_get_into_a_career_in_it_without_going_to/

Lol.
>>
>>65652391

>IT

Nobody respects you. Nobody trusts you.

Sage. Fix my sharedrive, nerd.
>>
>>65655747

If you don't think that 73k usd is a respectable amount of money then I would just have to accuse you of being a teenager with no concept of the value of money.

If you're not full of shit then I suppose you were just born with a silver spoon, in that case I just feel sorry for you.
>>
>>65652391
Graduated in december as well with an IT degree. 3.28 was my GPA, didn't try at all.
Somehow got selected into Navy Nuclear Propulsion Program and am gonna make $180,000.
IT wizards like us are just lucky I guess.
>>
>>65656565
>>
>>65656039
IT jobs are more stable than construction. Housing crashed where I lived and all the mexicans had to relocate to other states to find jobs
>>
>>65656300

So spend eight years or so working help desk while getting certs to some day hopefully become an analyst, or university for three years and straight into development... hm

And you get laid off if you have 15 years of exp but no bs these days, so good luck trying out the reddit cheat codes to IT.
>>
>>65656414
73k usd a year means you're pretty much on track to be a wage slave for most of your life. I got a 170k a year job right after college, save up around 80k a year after paying taxes and living expenses, and will retire in 10 years.
>>
>>65652391
I know how you feel. just graduated from art school and got a full time job in my major making $78,000 a year with health insurance and a 401k. It doesn't even feel real yet. All I ever heard was Ill never get a job. even the teachers would say that shit but if you actually learn marketable skills and practice your ass off you'll usually be fine. Its just the spoiled talentless retards who only do feminist performance art that bitch about not getting work.
>>
>>65656903
what do you do?
>>
Glad I fell for the STEM meme. I make 200k a year.
>>
>>65657065
Software Engineer at a big Facebook/Google/MS type company.
>>
>tfw 2.1 GPA in applied maths and 2 years until graduation

not gonna make it lads, I need to max out that GPA for these last two years and hope someone takes me in for grad school
>>
>>65656772
>building houses

industrial construction, numb nuts

refineries have to be rebuilt every 6 months, powerhouses every year, new shit is always going up, factories get retooled, etc.

extremely stable. US manufacturing / industry has been on a gradual decline, true, but if you are even a marginally intelligent person you have 100% job security (more work than people to do it)
>>
>>65656772

Housing crashed everywhere in the US. Spergs are still touting that specific trade meme as though it was 1985.
>>
>>65657274
good shit. although I relay like my work I do wish I had focused in school earlier in my life so that i could have learned some higher level math or programming later on.
>>
>>65655387
/g/ is mostly full of NEETs who spend their days in their lairs installing gentoo

fellow IT here, last year, can't wait to go to work and actually solve practical problems, shit's killing me

>inb4 wageslave
i need to save up to try and start my own business first
>tfw no 1mil loan
>>
>>65656903

Cool. Congrats on being one of the 0.00001%.
>>
>>65657274
No way you made 170k out of school . I know people who work at all three of those companies and it's not 170k
>>
>>65658114
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-salary-for-new-grads-starting-at-Facebook-in-2015?share=1
So they were janitors?
>>
>>65656994

Pretty much everyone I know got a job, even the kiddies who were begging others for code and files every semester.

I had a prof who was talking about which certs you're going to need all the time but he is a computer scientist and has been out of the industry so long that he doesn't know that a shitload of companies are accepting IT degrees in lieu of comptia crap since it is redundant.

>>65657737

I have gone to /g/ a couple times and that was my assessment. 99% of the people there know nothing about cs or it and most of the board topics are just shitpostings about which cell phone, gpu, os and torrent client is the best.

I know how you feel. After all the simulations it'll be nice to work on something real that won't just get wiped at the end of a semester.
>>
>>65658286
Of course, you have to factor in the fact that there is "Extreme" price inflation in silicon valley, so much so that $150,000 a year gets you a quality life comparable to $50,000 in almost everywhere else in the country.

So i'm really not that mad.
>>
>>65658114

Yeah, I know someone who got a position as an analyst at google and got $75k... I just don't feel like arguing with someone about something that they can't possibly prove. It is kind of pointless.
>>
>>65658286
That's still nowhere near 170k
>>
>>65658779
So you pay an extra 10% of your income in state tax (if you are comparing it to a state without state tax) and maybe an extra $1000 a month in rent. Where are you getting all the other $70,000 in income from? Your ass?
>>
>>65656300

I just realized that list doesn't have security on it. Security is a mandatory cert pretty much everywhere if you don't have an it degree.

What a fucking joke.
>>
File: 1152132321.jpg (6 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1152132321.jpg
6 KB, 150x150
>>65659132
Do you live under a rock or something? The cost of living in the San Fran valley is outrageous.
>>
>>65658779
I wouldn't go that far. More like 140k in Silicon Valley = 80k - 90k in a cheaper state like Texas. That's just personal approximation though since I live in Texas and work for IBM as a software engineer and my friend is a software engineer at Facebook
>>
>>65655301
Everyone is going to get replaced by robots and software automation within the next decade or two.
It doesn't matter if you are a truckdriver, a teacher, a lawyer or if you code software for a living. It can all be automated and be done much faster, cheaper and safer than you can do it.
>>
>>65659395
These companies aren't in San Francisco idiot.
>>
>>65659528

Self-replicating artificial intelligence within the "next decade or two." You heard it here, folks. Right from the mouth of Denmark.
>>
>>65659488

One of the reasons I am so excited is the cost of living in my area. $73k here is probably like $160k in your area.

There are 3000 sqft houses here for $270k.
>>
File: Frog.jpg (52 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
Frog.jpg
52 KB, 499x499
>>65659528
>He thinks this is the future

The future (20-30) years from now has massive, fuck-huge energy crunch on the horizon. The fairy of environmental misuse and resource constraints will finally give us a visit. Or did you think the post-modern lifestyle would exist indefinitely?
>>
>>65659953
>your area
I live in Texas where everything's bigger, except the taxes
>>
yar
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.