[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Charlemagne was a very good FRENCH king.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 220px-Charlemagne_tapestry.jpg (32 KB, 220x341) Image search: [Google]
220px-Charlemagne_tapestry.jpg
32 KB, 220x341
Charlemagne was a very good FRENCH king.
>>
wasn't he german tho
>>
File: Carolus Magnus.jpg (140 KB, 900x1389) Image search: [Google]
Carolus Magnus.jpg
140 KB, 900x1389
>tfw made of gold
>>
fucking basques I swear
>>
>>65617343
He was.
>>
Where exactly do we draw the line between German and French?
>>
>>65619434
French are latin speaking. It's easy as that. Franks didn't speak French only the ones that settled france did.
>>
>>65617343
Frank, which was a Germanic tribe but Frank=France as much as the Saxon=English

Both are Germanic tribes so are we to say that all the Saxon achievements are German ones and not English ones? Its a blurry line.
>>
>>65619765
You're wrong with both. Saxons live in Germany just as much as Franks also do. Saxons are German what the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>65617253
Charlemagne was black, you whiteys be stealin our culture
>>
>>65619918
I'm talking about the Anglo-Saxons. Yes some stayed in Germany but a lot migrated here so if we are saying that Charlemagne's accomplishments shouldn't credit the French since he was Germanic then we should also be saying Alfred the Great was German.
>>
>>65619918
Well what exactly do you mean by German? These are all Germanic groups but it's not like any kind of unified German identity existed
>>
>>65617343
>He wuz American fighting for our freedomz on the back of a mighty eagle
>His warcry wuz "gib me burgerz or gib me more burgerz"
>>
>Implying he wasnt a Frank
>Implying the low countries is not a continuition of the Frankish kingdoms

He was Dutch
>>
>>65617253
>>65617343
He was Frank, so neither German or French but the common ancestor of both. How is that so hard ton get?
>>
HOWDY GERMANIC SERVANTS
>>
>>65620123
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxony_(disambiguation)
Saxons are by all means Germans
>>65620086
"Some" what do you mean by "some"? Do you think Germany is empty land now? Because that's not how it happened, most stayed here.
>>65620409
You're Salic Franks, Ripurian franks are Germans. Also stop with that "low countries" meme. It's just the Netherlands and some neighbour territories.
>>65620446
Franks are a group of German people that live in the lower rhine area once known as Austrasia.
>>
>>65620636
Saxons were not occupied in all of Germany you idiot. Only in the north west and how do you think our Saxons got here? Obviously some left and some stayed. Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>65617253

He was a good king OF the French. He himself was a Frank, which you know very well.

>>65620086

Angles and Saxons (etc.) had far more impact (genetic, linguistic) on Britain than Franks did upon France.

Obviously, Charles was a French king in that he was a king of Francia. Alfred was a British king as he ruled in Britain. Both were largely Germanic.

>>65620446

Few French are descended from Franks compared to Germans, though obviously, not all Germans are Franks.
>>
>>65621185
Francia was a German kingdom. Karl was crowned Holy Roman Emperor which was the actual successor to the Frankish Empire since Lotharingia was its heir and East Frankia and Lotharingia were eventually united. West Francia was just a gavelkind succesor which managed to withstand the conquest attempt of his relative and eventually evolved into France.
>>
>>65621185
Yes, but that still doesn't make him German, he was French which means Frank. He occupied Northern France/Frisia at the start of his reign and expanded south and east. Yes he was still French.

Now if you said he was a Gaul I would obviously disagree but in modern terms a French man is Frankish/Gaulic (besides Brittany - just a quick question here to French, are Britons uglier than French? Might be a connection with ugly British).

Also Alfred was English not British, Britain wouldn't exist for another 1000 years
>>
>>65617253

ITT : Autism speaking
>>
>>65621463
French are Gallo-Romans. Franks are a group of Germans in Western Germany.
You also forget that he owned all of modern Frankia at his succesion (Hesse + Rhineland)
Franks are a German people.
>>
>>65620446

Franks are a Germanic tribe. French are Kelts that have been latinized and a lot of Germaic tribe blood bleed in over the centuries, like the Franks. The Merowinger (Kings before the Karolingians like Charles) were still rooted in Germanic religion.
Because of this foreign King, French are now called 'French' even though the french are only very partially Frankian.
>>
>>65619563

The Franks settled in France, Our/their kings are buried in St-Denis(FRANCE) and they speaked french at least since 842(Oath of Strasbourg)

As for Charlemagne he was imperator augustus(emperor) rex lombardorum (king of the lombards) and rex francorum (king of the french/franks)
>>
>>65621737
How many generations were there between Charlemagne and the Franks invasion of Gaul? If its only a few then okay. Like even though Alfred was 100% Germanic, after 500 years of Saxons in England I guess you have to say I'm not longer a continental Saxon but Anglo-Saxon.

But as the other anon said, the line is so blurry between these things - especially for the Franks.
>>
>>65621463
>doesn't make him German

Was he a Celt? Where do you think the French came from?
>>
>>65621421

Francia was ruled by Germanic people, but that doesn't mean all the people in what's now France were Germanic. As you've noted, they were Gallo-Romans.

>>65621463

>being Germanic doesn't make someone Germanic

Ok.

>Britain wouldn't exist for another 1000 years

The Greeks (and then, Romans) knew it as Bretannike/Britannia over 2,000 years ago. I think calling a king who ruled in Britain a British king is entirely fair unless contrast needs to be drawn between Brythonic kings and someone else.
>>
>>65617253
Our name Magnus come from him, he was concidered a great man, even though he was our enemy. Story was that while our king was afk, one of his men named his new born son Magnus, after yours.

This ofc infuriated our king as this name was not a name of ours. Later he found it ok though. Magnus the first was Magnus Barefeet who fell in Ireland, many kings have since be named such. Our current crown prince is really named HÃ¥kon Magnus, but he only uses the first.
>>
>>65617253
>French

Everybody knows he was an ancient Illyrian, aka Albanian.
>>
File: Germanic_Europe.gif (74 KB, 800x545) Image search: [Google]
Germanic_Europe.gif
74 KB, 800x545
>>65622277
Fair enough I didnt realise you were using Britain as a geographical phrase rather than the political it has become.

But as I said, where do we draw the line then? Because people right now say the English aren't Germanic when there are areas of Britain (East Anglia most famously) that is just of Saxon stock. The celts were kicked out of there and Hereward, a Saxon gurilla fighter prevented any Norman settlement there and DNA test show that they are still pretty much Anglo-Saxon. Is everyone living there German?
>>
>>65622931

Germanic. Not German.

Obviously not everyone, and obviously not 100%, but still.
>>
>>65621463
There was no such thing as "French" at the time.

France is named after the Franks, not the other way around.

It's like Egyptians calling themselves Greek because Alexander the Great conquered them.
>>
>>65617253
you mean karl was a good FRANKISH king
>>
>>65624498
Oh, and Northern "France" spoke Dutch at the time.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.