[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't we raise the minnimum wage for all workers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
The price of food and fuel has gone up, so why can't wages? Surely someone who works 40 hours a week deserves it.
>>
fuel has gone down. less than 1% of workers work for minimum wage.
>>
Does that mean everyone else gets a relative increase? Everyone else would have to get a 100% increase for this to make any sense
>>
File: 1456351324320.jpg (16 KB, 255x200) Image search: [Google]
1456351324320.jpg
16 KB, 255x200
>fuel has gone up
>>
>>65528171
Raising the wages for all workers is an artificial solution to a centrally-created problem. The problem is that wages have not increased as a result of legislation and regulation. The same goes for employment advancement opportunities. So the governmental and regulatory bodies limit opportunities for people to make more money, and their stop-gap solution to the problem they have created is to mandate that wages be higher.

You are NOT supposed to work at McDonald's for forty years. It's designed to be an entry-level job, not a career. People who don't understand that need to get real.
>>
>>65528430
which would be completely pointless
>>
Why don't they just give everyone a million dollars so they aren't poor anymore.
>>
>>65528629
>It's designed to be an entry-level job, not a career

It's not 'designed' for anything. It's McDonalds paying people shit because they can.
>>
>>65528821
They're paying people what the job is worth.
>>
I work 40 hrs a week shitposting on 4chan, where is my $15 an hour?
>>
>>65528935
They're paying what they can get away with. There's a difference.
>>
>>65530150
They can get away with it because there are plenty of people willing and able to take that job because it's not worth a lot of skill.

Your point being?
>>
>>65528171
>Walmart: Wage hikes are killing our profits

https://archive.is/uU6yK

They increased wages to $9/hour in April 2015 and outlook is down until 2017. Their stock went down 10% after this was announced and was down 30% YTD at one point.

They increased wages for 1 million workers to $10/hour on the 20th of February. I'm sure by Q1 reports They'll be fucked again.
>>
>>65530406
The worth of the job is how much surplus value it generates, which is not the same as how much the person doing it gets paid.

Saying people are getting paid whatever their work is worth is fallacious.
>>
File: minimum wage myth.png (372 KB, 1118x1420) Image search: [Google]
minimum wage myth.png
372 KB, 1118x1420
>>65530150
Less than 3% of the American workforce makes minimum wage. If employers only pay what they can get away with, then why don't all employees make minimum wage?
>>
>>65528821
>>65528935
>>65530150
>>65530406
If you had a company, would you pay employees more than the mandated minimum?

Why pay more when you can save hundreds to thousands
>>
>why are people being payed so little in the most corrupt country in the world?
>why cant we be like the other less corrupt countries?

gee boss I dunno
>>
>>65528629
not everyone wants to do career. You either make mcdonalds work to be suitable for normal standards of living or provide people with social welfare system, there are only these 2 options of normal civilized society. Without any regulation on minimal wage companies like mcdonalds can get away with exploiting people by giving them less than they can actually give
>>
File: 1454886844647.jpg (63 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1454886844647.jpg
63 KB, 500x333
>>65528171
>fuel has gone up
>>
>>65530566
>Less than 3% of the American workforce makes minimum wage.
>oy vey it's 7.26 an hour so its not minimum wage

Shlomo pls

>why don't all employees make minimum wage?
Because they can't get away with paying engineers minimum wage? Is this a concept you are having trouble with or do you need it written in crayon?

>>65530150
>>65530548
It's no coincidence that the country who keeps the EU afloat consistently has the posters with the strongest grasp of reality and economics.
>>
Why not just raise the minamum wage to 100 trillion dollars.

If stuff becomes too expensive just put price ceiling of 99 cents on everything.
>>
File: 1455480104025.jpg (25 KB, 460x258) Image search: [Google]
1455480104025.jpg
25 KB, 460x258
>>65528171

>Deserves

There's that word again. You deserve whatever the market is willing to pay you. Maybe you shouldn't have gotten a bachelors in sociology.
>>
>>65528171
the value of their labor has gone down.
>>
>>65530872
>suitable for normal standards of living

How do you define this? What's the base minimum standard of living we should guarantee? Illegal immigrants work for less than minimum wage. Not only are they surviving, they're multiplying.
>>
File: Thomas_Sowell_Minimum_Wage.jpg (130 KB, 864x405) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_Sowell_Minimum_Wage.jpg
130 KB, 864x405
>>65531029
>Because they can't get away with paying engineers minimum wage?

Why not? It's perfectly legal
>>
>>65531770
>magic negro, the disciple of a kike

Are you retarded? Skilled labor is a scarce commodity.
>>
>>65528171
Price of fuel has done nothing but decline.
>>
>>65528171
How much you deserve and how many hours you work are unrelated numbers.
>>
>>65530548
Wrong, there would be no point in running a business then because you would not turn a profit and still take risks.

Your work is worth what the market pays for it.

Spoiler alert: it's gonna get worse for wageslaves.
>>
SEATTLEFAG here

15 minimum wage is a disaster, job growth is waaaaay the fuck down.
>>
>>65532902
As long as job growth does not fall too far behind population growth that's not a problem.
>>
>>65530617
Yes and i do. Greed is the only reason not to. I only pay teens min wage.
>>
>>65530796
Piss off Estonian with that shitty gif
>>
>>65531169
This is the type of fag who thinks society would function if everyone was an engineer or doctor. Dont be retarded.
>>
>>65528171
If a company can only exist by paying unlivable wages, then that company needs to go bankrupt. The market will find another way.
>>
>>65532643
>Skilled labor is a scarce commodity

I agree. And unskilled labor is a surplus commodity. Supply and demand determines what a person's labor is worth. Where do we disagree?
>>
>>65534027
You disputed the fact that employers only pay what they can get away with.
>>
>>65530548
No, the worth of the job is based on the supply and demand for people willing and able to work that job
>>
>>65534266
>You disputed the fact that employers only pay what they can get away with.

My misunderstanding, I thought we were only speaking in legal terms
>>
>>65528171
>the price of a product that makes part of the cost of mostly all products has gone up, why can't people be paid more now that their jobs generate less money to their employers?
I wonder why...
>>
>>65528171
If you are business owner, you are free to pay your workers whatever you want. Who is the "we" you are talking about? The government? Fuck you. If you want people's wages higher, open a business and pay them well. If you want more money for the poor, work hard, earn a lot of money, and give it to whomever you feel deserves it. Otherwise, get that fucking gun out of our faces.
>>
>>65528629
>You are NOT supposed to work at McDonald's for forty years. It's designed to be an entry-level job, not a career. People who don't understand that need to get real.

No-one fucking thinks this at all. People are working in McJobs as a replacement for the career they can't actually get because of the casualisation of the workforce.

Getting really fucking sick of you corporate shills constantly trying to use this sort of abject bullshit as justification for the billions in PROFITS your masters make each year.
>>
>>65531169
>Maybe you shouldn't have gotten a bachelors in sociology.

>le liberal arts maymay

Do you ever just stop and think just how utterly fucking stupid you are when you persist in using strawman fallacies every time you expect to be taken seriously, you cretinous little cunt?
>>
>>65535182
>People are working in McJobs as a replacement for the career they can't actually get because of the casualisation of the workforce.

But doesn't that only happen in fields with a saturation of labor?
>>
>>65531346
>How do you define this?
Don't know about America, but Germany literally has a defined value of "Existenzminimum" - The minimum of money that you require for existence.
It's somewhere around 800€ a month and based around having enough money for food, shelter (so, i9t changes depending on where you live) and access to the basic right to information (i.e. being able to watch the public TV channels and see the news on them - And yes, those channels are corrupt as fuck. Might also include a basic internet connection nowadays) as well as a very small amount of recreation.
>>
File: chess_piece_queen.png (24 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
chess_piece_queen.png
24 KB, 512x512
>>65535182
>casualisation of the workforce
Who is at fault for this? Why is it happening? Why hasn't it happened sooner?
Also
>failing to get a permanent job just because there are less of them
>implying employee is so mediocre that he fails at distinguishing himself
Just because work has been more casual, it doesn't mean one cannot try to get a career, and try to take on other jobs even if they are non-permanent. Why would workforce casualisation result in not being able to build up a career merely because it's periods of work are no longer permanent? A career is built up from the amount of work done, and the quality of it, not the time spent working a certain job.

Ignore the picture, 4chan does not allow me to post without one
>>
File: 1385256987760.jpg (31 KB, 300x440) Image search: [Google]
1385256987760.jpg
31 KB, 300x440
>>65535182
Wow, Australia is the only one not shitposting

>implying anyone will hire someone with job experience at McDonalds except Burger King or Wendys

>implying it isn't a trap, while they have you working extra hours for shit pay you have less time to devote to education or training for non-McDonalds jobs

>implying it isn't an objectively better financial decision to sign up for welfare and sell crack

I think $15 is too huge of a jump, but the minimum wage should just be updated based on change in cost of living every couple years rather than stagnating for a decade until there's no incentive to work for it.
>>
>>65528171
Why is supply and demand such a hard concept? Prices and wages are both determined this way.
>>
What happens to all the people who work their asses off at a job for years to make it to $14.50 an hour and then magically the MW is put at $15 and some retarded nigger off the street gets hire for the same wage as you. Feel that bern assholes
>>
>>65530796
kill yourself

go spam that shit gif on cuckchan
>>
>>65536562
Supply and demand is easy to say, but shit is much more complicated.
Most people do not enjoy randomly moving cross-country and there is no total awareness of all job opportunities.
The end result is only based around suppy and demand on a very high level.
Down on the ground, it's much messier. Neither business owners nor workers are automatons. A business owner may very well hire people that he randomly met and give them an unusually high pay or reel in an inexperienced guy and pay far under market value for him while using manipulative tactics to crush their self-esteem and prevent them from being emotionally capable of leaving the company.

The simplification of reality into a completely absurd and inhuman model is what disgusts me about economics.
>>
>>65536623

They get a 50 cent raise.
>>
>>65528171

>> tfw was moving to Seattle
>> tfw now that the minimum wage is going up, I'll be making only $2/hr more than minimum wage as a skilled laborer.

I hate everything.
>>
>>65536904
>A business owner may very well hire people that he randomly met and give them an unusually high pay or reel in an inexperienced guy and pay far under market value for him while using manipulative tactics to crush their self-esteem and prevent them from being emotionally capable of leaving the company.
Then don't work for that guy. Why does it makes sense to force EVERY employer to pay a minimum wage because of that one asshole?
>>
>>65528171
retard detected
learn to economics
key word: absolute inflation
>>
>>65536943
And living costs rise because business owners across the entire country need to pay their cheapest workers more.
So the end result might be an effective downgrade of wage, actually.

>>65537095
I'm personally only a fan of minimum wage as a way to incentivize the development of full automation.
Just saying that economic models are fucking obnoxious and simplify things way too fucking much.
>>
>>65537215
>Just saying that economic models are fucking obnoxious and simplify things way too fucking much.
Apparently not simple enough, since so many people fail to grasp the concept.
>>
>>65528171
>minimum wage $15
>suddenly becomes economical to employ one person on a high wage to maintain 10 robots, than to hire 10 people on minimum wage.
>now 10 people have no wage
>but 1 person has a high wage
>wealth gap enlarges
>lefties complain the wealth gap is too big
>>
>>65536904
>Most people do not enjoy randomly moving cross-country

Nobody who makes minimum wage can. Around Chicago, black people from the hood spend $15+ and hours of time on trains and busses to work shit-teir McJobs in the suburbs. There's no alternative prospects or opportunity if you don't go to college, besides crime. Microeconomics 101 doesn't mean shit when millions of people have better incentive to break in your house than work within the system.
>>
>>65528652
They'd spend it within three years, and then they'd have nothing, and we'd be back to square one.
And because we are not allowed to say "fuck off" in answer to the question "gibs me dat" we'd still end up paying for everything... only now 1 million worse off.
>>
>>65537766
>>65537766
>Around Chicago, black people from the hood spend $15+ and hours of time on trains and busses to work shit-teir McJobs in the suburbs. There's no alternative prospects or opportunity if you don't go to college, besides crime. Microeconomics 101 doesn't mean shit when millions of people have better incentive to break in your house than work within the system.

Then why was unemployment and crime so much lower during Jim Crow?
>>
>>65538525
Nigs actually had self respect back then and didnt demand gibs
>>
>>65528171
There is definitely a need to raise the wages. Anybody who thinks otherwise is being controlled by their jewish overlords.

But we can't raise the minimum wage and then say "okay that's it good job everyone!" there is a crippling problem that people in lower brackets can't afford.

Hell, I live in Boulder Colorado. Housing here is fucking insanely expensive. I don't know how anybody can afford it. I go to college here and dread when my money runs out because even if I had a 15-20 hour job, that would barely cover the rent I pay AND food. (Certainly not the rent I need to move out of this place. I'd need to work probably 30-40 a week depending on pay to eat comfortably and pay my rent, but then my grades would probably just fucking tank.

I don't expect to not struggle, but I have to think that there are people who aren't as blessed as me to live in a room where my rent is only 580 a month. A place where I live goes for 850 a month, and it's usually college students occupying it. People who aren't lucky enough to get government bucks that cover tuition entirely.

fug save me Trump
>>
>>65538525
>that's why unemployment and crime were so much lower when the Midwest had manufacturing industries that caused blacks to live here in the first place
>>
Just let the markets be free.
The countries that do this are more prosperous and have less problems with people receiving too litle.
You can also stop printing money and causing inflation, that's a good idea, before government did this the cost of living went down with time, not up.

>Inb4 le steppy snekky maymay
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.