[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The College meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: reeee.jpg (74 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
reeee.jpg
74 KB, 1200x1200
I just came back from a family reunion, and the following happened :
>my 17 yo cousin wants to go study in a shit school with painting as a major.
>proceed to tell her that she should paint as a hobby and get a real job.
>Her mom lectures me that her kids should do what they like.
>mfw

How can people be so dumb, /pol/ ?
>>
With the Swiss... you miss!
>>
>>65487090
Your aunt will hopefully change her mind once your cousin has been leeching off her for long enough.
>>
File: Df3li3i.jpg (44 KB, 600x403) Image search: [Google]
Df3li3i.jpg
44 KB, 600x403
>>65487090

Remind her that Hitler's failure from Art school is what inspired the rationalizations people currently use to move millions of non-indigenous radicals into Europe.
>>
>>65487090
But switzerland has great design schools and jobs in the creative sector are less threatened by automation than, lets say, the medical sector.
>>
File: 1429283174684.png (1 MB, 1371x685) Image search: [Google]
1429283174684.png
1 MB, 1371x685
>>65487090
She's female. She doesn't need any qualifications. She doesn't need a job. She'll get everything for free solely due to the fact that she has a vagina. There are literally beta males who'd beg her to take their money without expecting anything in return. Welcome to the 21st century gynocentric slut culture.
>>
My sister was a decent artist, but no Michelangelo. She went to a good school, but found she didn't have the talent to feed herself. Yep, she became an art teacher. She's lucky to have a job. He husband is a highly skilled professional cabinetmaker, thank goodness.

Even Hitler got a real job.
>>
>>65488950
Why didn't she learn 3d modeling, 3d scuplting, texturing or 3d animation,?
>>
File: 1442942983862.png (191 KB, 1248x1284) Image search: [Google]
1442942983862.png
191 KB, 1248x1284
>>65487090
jobs are leaving Europe anyway, most other decrees also suffer from over-saturation of the job market...
so it doesn't matter, she knows that she ends unemployed with high probability, we others hope we get unemployed with lower probability.

the future looks shit, regardless of what you end up studying.

each new college degree has a lower marginal utility than the previous one.
at some point you accept that college is not about making people "professionals" in their fields, but rather extension of high school to keep the people away from unemployment and playing on the streets.
>>
We're old fuckers. She retires in 10 years.

She does the computer art / animation / rendering thing in her classes now though.
>>
you only get one life to live just do what the fuck you want and enjoy it
>>
>>65489386
>do what the fuck you want
you're part of the problem
this is why the world is so degenerate
>>
>>65488812
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>65489069
This. the "Art degrees are useless" meme is convenient but only half true. Things like art and music art actually very smart to take, as minors. The problem is retards think they can actually just paint all day and make a living. What they need to do is apply art to a modern field like computing or science. Someones making big bucks illustrating and animating things like cell biology, just not these retards.
>>
File: image.jpg (608 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
608 KB, 2048x1536
>>65487090
>he thinks europe has a future
>he thinks white mans credentials will have any meaning in the new caliphate of europa
lmao
>>
File: 1435656564552.gif (391 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1435656564552.gif
391 KB, 400x400
>>65489469
>>
>>65487090

These people have ulterior motives and you are dumb for not realizing that.

Translation: Shit wants to fuck niggers and has rape fantasies.
>>
>>65489386
noone knows that . maybe you have infinite lifes to live
>>
>>65487090

Tell her that painting is a skill that can be developed independently of formal education, if she has the talent for it, she will be a great painter regardless of a painting major or not. If she needs a painting major to learn how to paint properly, she is mediocre and will never be able to make a living off of painting. If she isn't talented, she is set out to be unhappy for the rest of her life.
>>
>>65487090
M.A.A. here,
The problem isn't that your relative wants to paint to a living, but that they don't yet know how important having a diverse skill-set of related arts is, along with the fact that in their youthful inexperience that they likely don't know anything about networking and collaborating yet.

You can do fine arts for a living, but being too niche and not knowing how to find clients will kill you. You need to build a diverse portfolio and know how to look for work.
>>
>>65487090
Oh fuck off, get her some Loomis books and tell her to study on her own a lot and just look at the school as a small motivation giver. This is hardly /pol/ related.
>>
>>65487090
Tell her that Art can't be taught but felt through the emotional impression of paint on canvas, tell her Art is personal and the only thing shed Learn in school is the template of an artist not the expression of an artist
>>
>>65489761
>>65489069

This i have an art degree from a community college, absolutely fucking worthless in all essence but it was a stepping stone, a prerequisite to studying 3d modelling in university, i got a job offer from a studio that works in advertising during the final presentation, i didn't even need to go job seeking or send my portfolio out.

A friend i keep in touch with from college also went from art into illustration and does website graphic design. It can be pratical, unfortunately most people don't use it to get to practical setups and think they will be sculpting penises and painting jackson pollock type shit for a living.
>>
>>65487090
I agree, you should do what you like.
But it's no use doing something you like for 5 years of your life and spending the rest of your life miserable.
So study something to be able to do something you like, as you will be doing it for 40 or so years.
>>
College is an investment. If you can't reasonably expect to make a return after spending all the time, effort, and money you shouldn't go. That's why I chose Engineering. Got my degree and I'm making bank. Why doesn't everyone get that?
>>
painting is a legit job though
>>
>>65487090
Make valid points about the current global financial situation and tell that if your cousin takes up painting she's fucked, as a whore, because that's what she'll end up doing
>>
>>65491772
I recently got a 10k scholarship to go to an art and design college based off my portfolio, I know I have a shit ton to learn about animation and modeling and whatnot but it's worth it to get my dream job at ILM :)
>>
We're living in the automation age. Everything will be done by robots and people will receive a standard living wage. Painting is useful in many aspects as it deals with art and creativity which is what will be desired most by people in the future.
>>
>>65487090
She will go through classes and decide she is not the marraige type and will not want to have children. Higher learning.
>>
>>65487090
>not supporting art and culture
why is it that /pol/ is so plebby these days ?
>>
I'm a certified pharmacy technician, it's a pretty cozy job. I just count pills, compound a few different things, and prep IV bags for the ER and ICU here in the hospital.

All I did was pay a little over a hundred bucks, take a test over medications, adverse effects, chemical names, and mathematics and started working in an in-patient pharmacy. It pays reasonably well, about average salary in the USA (a little over $40k a year), but I can't help but feel like I could've achieved more by falling for the college meme and getting a degree.

I would be fun to go back and try for a degree in finance or software engineering, but I'm already coming up on 25 years old and don't want to be an adult surrounded by children studying minority basketweaving getting it all paid for by mommy and daddy.
>>
>>65493952
>Art and Culture

Kek, nowadays it's more like "Niggers and Faggots"
>>
>>65493511
true, but you don't need a college degree. you need vocational training and work experience to actually make money. if you want to paint on the side go for it.
>>
>>65488812

And what gender is responsible for totally enabling this behavior? The answer is men.

So shut the fuck up, dumbass.
>>
>>65487090
Yay more welfare leaches
>>
>>65487090
Depends how GOOD of a painter she is
>>
>>65493952
It's not that we don't support art & culture, it's just not a pragmatic choice of careers.

It's hard to make a living as an artist unless you become famous or find a supportive niche audience.

Art shouldn't be stamped out forever, but the youth should be urged to pursue careers with more available jobs since they're the next generation in line after us to take control of things. Allowing them to choose unemployment because muh passion is just irresponsible IMHO.
>>
Yeah OP how dare a young person dare to dream.
We should all study stem or learn a trade and become nice cogs for society.
>>
>>65494371
You can be an artist while simultaneously working a good-paying career.

It's good to have a back-up plan.
>>
She should study stem so she can be a cog for society, and do art on the side.

My office is in the middle of an art district, and every Friday we display art and about 500 people will walk through our office, have a drink, and come see the art on display. However, during the week we do STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING.
>>
>>65494528
It's also good to have a job you love.
>>
>>65487090

If she waint to paint so badly, she can do a fucking apprenticeship as a painter.
Paint walls, rooms and buildings and get paid for it.
>>
>>65494746
Its good to have a chocolate dick that ejaculates money. Most people don't.
>>
>>65487090
How do you judge other people's lives when you shitpost on this site?
>>
>>65487487
Honestly rather confusing considering the main criticism of his work is 'poor lines, subjects not interesting, etc.'

That seems like the sort of thing that you could perhaps go somewhere to improve upon, such as a school.

Lol.
>>
>>65487090
Painting is fine, theres plenty of work if you're committed and not a lazy piece of shit.
>>
File: mike_rowe.jpg (39 KB, 300x547) Image search: [Google]
mike_rowe.jpg
39 KB, 300x547
>>65494746
It's good, but it isn't necessary.

A job is just for sustainability and societal development. Very few people actually love what they do. They just do it because it's available and pays well.
>>
>>65487090

That all depends, man.

If painting has been a hobby of hers for a very long time now and she shows real promise, she should invest her time in that, as it is obviously her calling. If she shows no promise and has only been painting for a little white, she should explore other options.
>>
>>65494889
At least he likes his job
AND he does it for free
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.