[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
US Predicts Zero Job Growth For Electrical Engineers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 14
File: sempai4.jpg (33 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
sempai4.jpg
33 KB, 400x266
How cucked are STEM grads?
electrical and electronics engineering, has stopped growing, according to the U.S. government. The Bureau of Labor Statistics, in an update of its occupational outlook released Friday, said that the number of people employed as electrical and electronics engineers is now at 316,000, and will remain mostly unchanged for the next decade. The government put the 10-year job outlook for electronic and electrical engineers at "0% — little or no change." The IEEE-USA said the BLS estimates "are probably correct."
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3017196/it-careers/u-s-predicts-zero-job-growth-for-electronics-engineers.html
>>
They should go to Norway and make 10x more as an average engineer
>>
>>58986199
Fuck. I am so glad I waited. I almost went back to school for electrical engineering.
>>
File: mexicocityslums.jpg (403 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
mexicocityslums.jpg
403 KB, 1080x1080
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2014/09/15/stem-graduates-cant-find-jobs
>thousands of applicants for any advertised job.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/education/the-stem-crisis-is-a-myth
>g Boeing, IBM, and Symantec, continue to lay off thousands of STEM worker
>>
File: 1394554350487.jpg (29 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1394554350487.jpg
29 KB, 600x600
>>58986199
>sempai
>>
>>58986199
That won't stop them from bringing in more H1Bs.
>>
>>58986455
Those houses look cosy as fuck.
>>
>>58986506
lol that alligator is so gay
>>
File: china_engining standards.jpg (70 KB, 553x720) Image search: [Google]
china_engining standards.jpg
70 KB, 553x720
>>58986696
are you kidding? It's literally rolling hills of mass slums, of people who refuse to stop having kids, then come to America for benefits and jobs, but still keep having kids so East Los Angeles now looks like Mexico city
>>
>>58986199
>electrical and electronics engineering
>How cucked are STEM grads?

STEM covers more than electronic engineering. I'm more than comfy with my CS major.
>>
>>58987143
>H1Bs
>Dont do CS related professions
wut
>>
>>58987143
Don't fool yourself that CS is somehow better than EE in that regard. My last job in USA was in a small company of approximately 30 people, and there were several h1b's even there.
Everything about the globalist jew game is to drive down wages across the board and have a huge surplus of slaves.
>>
>>58988368
Who are you quoting?

Anyways, doesn't matter. Alright signed on for a 6 figure salary. If you're good, they'll come.
>>
File: 1445144301920.jpg (52 KB, 399x464) Image search: [Google]
1445144301920.jpg
52 KB, 399x464
>>58986199
I don't know why I even try.
>>
Thank fuck I specialized in control system design and process automation technology.
Sorry too hear ameribros.
>>
Nobody is spared in global economic equalization. Your precious wage is getting fucked by automation, immigration, and outsourcing.

If you're under 40 now, you'll live to see some real chaos in the west probably. It'll either be basic income or gradually increasing violence, one of the two.
>>
>m
>>
>>58990334
Controls and DSP here
>>
the real question is rather to go into mechanical engineering or just do an electrician apprentice. Anyone has personal insight from both these fields?
>>
>sempai
>>
"Clear evidence that we need more H-1B visas." - employers
>>
>>58990651
We're gradually implementing basic income in the name of psychiatry. Why do you think the DSM V is full of so many retarded conditions? It's to give the government a "scientific", "medical", and "compassionate" reason to give someone a basic income for the rest of their life, because they're too "ill" to work with a "disease" that "science" says can't be treated.
>>
Engineering is a meme degree

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.ospe.on.ca/resource/resmgr/DOC_advocacy/2015_REPORT_Underemployment_.pdf
>>
I think all of /pol/ should become nurses. It's great job security and salary. It's resistant to outsourcing and automation, and even immigrants can't just waltz into healthcare here like they do tech.

Could you imagine if the alt right males, pol types, r9k types, all decided to become nurses?
>>
File: reaction nice one.gif (930 KB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
reaction nice one.gif
930 KB, 200x133
>>58986199
>working in mechanical engineering
>in the field of combustion engines
>speciality is engine emissions and human health/environmental effects
>mfw my job is secure so long as the constant battle between fossil fuel/oil magnates and international liberal treehugging organizations continues
kekkerino heartilino
>>
>>58991329
neato flag guy
>>
>>58990773
Good. The more you know about DSP the better you will fair with the future of automation: Direct digital control.
>>
File: welder.jpg (40 KB, 728x448) Image search: [Google]
welder.jpg
40 KB, 728x448
Hi /pol/

I'm thinking of signing up for welding classes at my local community college

Is it worth it? Can I finally get out of the rut I'm stuck in and find something better than fast food and retail?
>>
>>58986199
>The IEEE-USA has been a strong critic of efforts in Congress to raise the H-1B cap.
They want to triple it.
>>
>>58991970
Don't train to be a welder. You're health will be destroyed.
>>
>>58991329
I'm thinking of doing that. My GPA is shit anyways because I set myself up for failure in college.
>>
>>58986683
>>58990950
this

>>58987143
computer science is possibly the most fucked out of all STEM, with the cyclical exception of petroleum engineering and the branches of chemical engineering similarly related to commodity extraction and processing.
>>
>>58992361
Something "muh welding, $100k to start!" fags conveniently sweep under the rug.
>>
>>58992361
What about phlebotomy? It's only a few months at the community college, pays $13-$15/hr, and work is in a comfy setting indoors with little dangers other than coming into contact with sick patients.

I know the pay seems low, but I live with my parents and don't pay any bills so I'd be pocketing all of my salary.
>>
should have gone into medical field. There will always be more sick and old people.
>>
>>58991329
Don't move, buddy. It'll hurt less that way.
Finally I get to try out this new semi-automatic hypo-injection 9000.
>>
Graduated with a Biology degree and just now found a job after 6 months of looking. It's a highly physical job with tons of travelling, only place that would hire me and it was more because I could move heavy things than by bio knowledge.
>>
>>58992856
>found a job after 6 months of looking
>6 months

Da fuk. It's just, like, it's our economy that's shrinking, not yours. Where does this problem come from?
>>
>>58990651
Rare flag
Even though it's extremely gay
>>
>>58993108
Our economy is also shit our politicians are just better at cooking the books.
>>
>>58993108
Everyone and their moms has a degree now. College degree, even if it is STEM is basically worthless. I have a friend who works for the DNR (who I originally wanted to work with) and he said that they just weren't employing ANYONE with anything less than a master's these days.
>>
>>58992741
>>58992612
Also considering automotive mechanic. I'm a huge /o/tist and know a lot about cars, and have done all of my own maintenance and repair on my car.
>>
File: 1449496310010.jpg (143 KB, 888x1120) Image search: [Google]
1449496310010.jpg
143 KB, 888x1120
Who here /theology/

I can find work pretty much anywhere talking to hospital patients about Jesus and football
>>
>>58991329
>Anon, would you mind checking on Mr. Sheckelbergstein while I do my rounds?
>Mumbles to himself about du joos
>>
>>58993236
>Everyone and their moms has a degree now
We have a similar situation, but what matters is what university did you finish. Everyone can tell crap and decent academias apart.
>>
Christ I graduated 2 years ago with a STEM degree and had a job lined up. Feel like I dodged a bullet.

My advice is to never stop learning. Don't just learn in the classroom. Learn independently, become a research assistant, join organizations and clubs, etc.

And get internship experience before you graduate. It's pretty important.
>>
>>58993542
I went to St. Olaf and was an honor's student (though I didn't graduate with honors, 3.2 gpa). I know it was a liberal arts degree but still it's one of the top colleges in the nation and with scholarships it ended up being cheaper than any other school I could go to.

I just don't know any more. At least I finally got a job, lotta people I graduated with are just sitting on their asses still.
>>
>>58991329
Great idea - the average guy on /pol/ has a lot of compassion for his fellow man.
>>
>>58992856
>Graduated with a Biology degree
>>58993819
>a liberal arts degree

What
>>
>>58993837
Fellow white man*
>>
>>58988620
>>58988368
>>58992585

I don't even have a degree and I make 6 figures in CS. I get recruiter emails every week. Outsourcing tech jobs is only an option if the tech is repetitive and mostly automated. Shit, I got a call from a recruiter from ESPN saying how they gave up trying to outsource because all of their applications were so buggy.
>>
>>58988620
>h1b'
CS is great if you actually get great grades, and try to get an internship or paid co-op

My uni offers paid co-ops with IBM and Microsoft to graduate students
>>
>>58993356
Hm catholic priest is a rather secure job
>>
Solid state EE is a hard field to get into now unless you're willing to work for $40,000 starting, or actively seek out smaller firms. The influx of low paid Indians saturating the market is causing a lot of guys to pull their hair out.
>>
>Study history
>Get job as lobbyist
>Lots of easy money, great rewards, free laptop, phone, ipad, car etc
>Company pays for me to eat dinner with people
>Occasional work in the form of writing memos, reports and arranging meetings

I'm junior level, too

Fuck this STEM is all you need to get a job meme
>>
File: CD3Kfw8WgAAUBBm.jpg large.jpg (139 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
CD3Kfw8WgAAUBBm.jpg large.jpg
139 KB, 1024x1024
If Trump wins:
STEM grads will be swimming in money and bitches.

If Clinton wins:
STEM grads will be rounded up into concentration camps and forced to check their privilege for the rest of their lives for being a male-dominated field.
>>
Ok guys.

CE (Computer Engineering) or CS?

I'm into computers and programming, but I keep hearing how cucked CS is.

Is it just a meme or what?

What do you guys think?
>>
>>58994494
Also if Clinton wins get ready for more and more H1B shitskins.

>>58994523
Either one is fine as long as you're determined enough to learn as much as you can and get internships. CE will be harder though as the coursework is more difficult.
>>
>>58993990
Sorry, typo. I went to a liberal arts college and got a biology degree.

Meant to say "I know it was a liberal arts college"
>>
>>58994308

But you can't get married. Better to be Orthodox.
>>
>>58994523
Lol CS of course, you went get a job making hardware components in the US because all manufacturing is moved to China

>mfw when graduated last year with a comp sci degree (2.2)
>no internships
>got a graduate job at a bank in switzerland
>150k euros a year with stock options

sometimes It feels like cheating
>>
>>58986199
>electrical engineering
>representing all of STEM
Nice try there my retarded liberal arts major friend.
>>
File: nigga bear.jpg (19 KB, 346x346) Image search: [Google]
nigga bear.jpg
19 KB, 346x346
STEM grad here. I've already started looking for jobs overseas.

If I can't do science in Canada, I'll teach it in China, while getting paid more.
>>
>>58994523
CE if you want to work on shit with your hands; CS if you want to type shit at a computer.

Don't expect either one to get you the job it says it'll get you, until you're 40 years old. Unless, of course, your career game is absolutely flawless and you have zero need whatsoever for advice.
>>
i expect next year for another recession. everyone is predicting it though, but how it usually happens is alot of shit conditions and one ends up triggering it
>>
>"get a trade" they said
>"they can't outsource electricians" they said
>meanwhile, rat-faced jew weasel politicians in Washington fight to continually expand on those work visa programs to bring in 3rd world indians to do those STEM jobs
>>
>>58995163
If you stay in the right areas you can get treated really well working in China. Some people I know travel there for work, metals trading, and they're basically considered part of the upper echelon.
>>
>>58991350
dont take my ICE away!
>>
>>58994523
everyone responding to you is either full of shit or is terrible at their job. getting a job in software or anything CS is laughably easy. You just have to be competent at a popular programming language and exemplify that competency. CS is by far the easiest field to get a job in.
>>
>>58986199
Graduating with bachelor's in mechanical this spring, am I fucked?
>>
>>58986405
After taxes you'd earn more as an engineer in the US
>>
>>58990773
>>58990334
Mein neger

doing fourier/laplace all days errday
>>
>2012
>graduate with biomedical engineering degree
>no jobs
>options are med school, grad school, or neet
>can't afford any more loans
>neet for several years
>wind up joining military
>good goyim

Yeah university is a bad idea right now. Much better to take a trade and not have any debt.
>>
>sempai
>>
>>58995421
>If you stay in the right areas you can get treated really well working in China.

Which areas? I'm most likely going to be around Shanghai or in the Guangzhou/Shenzhen area, although I'd prefer working a smaller city (unfortunately they pay much less).
>>
>>58986199
Maybe it's because we have a patent system that punishes innovation instead of encouraging it. If not that, then it's clearly the huge amount of regulations that are one side towards aristocrats and big corporations. Of course, I could just be in a bitchy mood since flying cars should have been a thing by now.
>>
>>58994198
Gotta be willing to move to what's paying or live in a city. Generic skills like common programming lanuages are common enough that there will be someone in the area willing to take the job for not too much.

The real bux is in learning some expensive gui tool meant to make it so they don't need to hire expensive programmers. Only a few big dumb companies use the tool so there is never local talent that knows the tool.

This leaves managers with the problem of finding someone that knows the tool. Managers always spend their budgets to solve their problems. So if you are willing to uproot your life and move across the country to meet theie need, you get paid.

But if you have a CS degree or formal training in programming you will find everything you learmed to be an impediment to doing well at your job.

The tools you will have to use are designed so thay managers can hire more 'programmers' and get linear increase in output for additional labor.

So the tools enforce that you do not find efficiency in reuse or abstraction. They mandate spaghetti coding so as to ensure there will never be a learning curve to the codebase. Thus programmers are interchangable.

If you ever put down roots in an area, the company you work for will own you because nobody for hundreds of miles will pay what you are getting for 'programing' that silly tool you know.

If you've had the discipline to keep your skillset generic, you make far less than much less skilled peers.

If you are very lucky, you will get to mostly eat your own dogfood. Skill, and intellectual advantage are negated working on spaghetti code. Skill and intellect are for not creating spaghetti code.

But really, creating goos code just makes you easier to replace.

You have to mamage the size of your responsibilities so that they never realize how critical you are, which limits what you get paid severely
>>
>>58992762
Not really, they will be taken cared of in due time.
>>
>>58994993
Did you have to learn German/French?
>>
>>58996099
>>58994374

EE MS student here, started to get into solid state / microelectronics but did DSP specialization in undergrad. I'm now thinking it might be a better idea to go back into signals given the curry flood that's affecting the chip companies more. then again when I interned at IBM last summer
>>
EE here. Became VP of a 20 man lead product manufacturer last year and make 6 figures. It's not considered a STEM job but I wouldn't have gotten it without the engineering background.
>>
File: image.jpg (136 KB, 600x775) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136 KB, 600x775
>stopped growing

If you're one of the fastest growing sectors in the economy that's not a negative. Road construction "stopped growing" when everyone had enough roads to drive on. Are you incapable of analysing an article?
>>
Clearly the best way to solve the problem is give everyone free college degrees

That will surely show the market how to accept more people
>>
>>58991329
I'd honestly rather work in mcdonalds until I'm 80 than work as a doctor, nurse, or dentist.

But yes, there are so many fucking jobs in the field around here.
>>
>>58996917
Can you give me a job please?
>>
So what trades are decent now? Been out of the loop for a while
>>
>>58986729
That's a crocodile you fuck
>>
>>58995541
this tbqh

at least in america

i can barely program, 2.8 gpa in college, and got a job as a developer making 60k in rural area

it's basically a job for white guys who studied something a few months and kinda know computers
>>
>>58995541
>>58997928
I thought the same thing when I got my first job. You'll think you're competent when you first work. But after a year or so you'll realize you're falling behind if you keep coasting by on a minimal amount of experience.

You need to keep your skills up to date no matter what.
>>
>>58996830
Oh you specialized at bachelor level too? We only do it at master. I just entered control and dsp without even knew about the job prospect just found it interesting, its good to hear its still good. But it doesnt matter much in sweden anyway the projection is still good for the next 5-10 years for most engineers.
>>
>>58997837
Lobbying.

Unironically not enough people in it, you don't have to work for anything evil and it pays great money/ you can leave after you're done and get a job in media relations/speech writing/ government
>>
Im in env engi, am I safe /pol/? Hoping to learn another language(s) so I can go around the world
>>
>>58998228
Basically if you keep coasting by, you'll just be average. It'll be tough to get to a higher position.
>>
>>58986199
Better bring in more H1Bs.

Being against free trade is being against conservative and libertarian values donchaknown.
>>
>>58988620
They want us all whipped like their slaves in Bangladesh, India, and Vietnam.

It is the duty of a free people to resist the lie that is free trade and open borders.
>>
>>58991329
Nursing is absolutely flooded with single mothers and sheboons. Any immigrant that speaks even broken english can take over. The pay has dropped dramatically over the last decade. They're the waitresses of medicine.
>>
>>58992612
There is a reason it pays so well.
>>
>>58998839
>sheboons
It's pretty scary to consider that that's who's going to be taking care of you more and more if you are hospitalized. Better not browse /pol/ if your sick, or who knows what Shanequa might do to you...
>>
>>58986199
That doesn't sound right, how is that even possible.
>>
>>58998591
>have to pay SS for citizens
>waived for hb1s
yea, really "free" trade there
>>
>>58998709
They already have. Working in tech is basically slave labour.

Just work 50k-60k annual in HR or another liberal arts dominated field of work, while living a relaxing life.
>>
>>59001852
Best part is when the HB1's visa expire and they return to their home country with their newly acquired skills. It took generations to build the engineering culture in hardware design and we're just exporting it for free.

In 20 years times we'll see the West lose its technological advantage simply to earn some exec his annual bonus.
>>
>>59001510
Heard about 'IT-bubblan' in sweden not so many years ago? There's a reason its so easy to enter Electrical/computer engineering programs in sweden the last 10 years.
>>
shoulda joined the navy and got into gas turbines. 5 years enlisted and guaranteed +$75k/year in the civilian sector afterwards. and thats just in the south working for corporate bastards like tva.
>>
Thank fucking god I work for the government.
>>
>>58992612
yeah I looked at becoming a welder until I found out how it fucks your lungs, especially if you work in enclosed spaces (90% of pipeline welding)

The "stem crisis" was so obviously manufactured I'm embarassed for people that fell for it.

ANY time an industry/trade group starts yelling about "worker shortages" it means "Help we're having to pay the plebs actual wages, come and help us drive wages down, you stupid fucks."

"I can hire half the working class to kill the other half."-some slick operator
>>
>>58996150
>Yeah university is a bad idea right now
>went to university to get a biomedical engineering degree
Opinion discarded.
>>
Just got a bachelor's in CS at a 3.87 GPA, planning on getting a Master's in IT.
How fucked am I?
>>
I got my masters in quantitative finance. Job market for finance analysts are very good. I got my first job with su trust Makimg 70k a year in atlanta. Very good more for the standard of living here.

My degree trained me for high finance though and I'm currently employed in the credit card line of business at su trust. So I can jump ship to an investment bank or hedge fund soon after a few years experience and get a serious raise in salaries and bonuses.
>>
>>59004518
>ANY time an industry/trade group starts yelling about "worker shortages" it means "Help we're having to pay the plebs actual wages, come and help us drive wages down, you stupid fucks."

Yep. This right here. I have worked in two different trades over the past 20 years, been unemployed for the past 4 months. Went to CDL school(for free). Now I have my pick of one of these "thousands of great trucking jobs". Great being 5 or 6 hundred bucks a week, gross, for living in a truck and coming home once every 6 weeks, and paying 140+ for benefits. It doesn't pay as much as sucking dick. But, this is where we are now. It's fucking hopeless.
>>
>>59001869

they only give the easy relaxing HR/secretarial jobs to women
>>
>>58990651
Lazerbeam flag best flag
>>
>>58986199
Lol I just graduated in may with an EE degree and got hired right out of school. Get fucked dumbass
>>
>>58995854
[ ] Not Rekt
[ x ] Rekt
>>
>>58986729
That's the mighty megalosaurus you chucklefuck.
>>
>>58986199
Librarians
Google virtually replaced them
Still 2% growth

Electrical Engineers 0% growth.

Jesus Christ, Obama.
>>
File: image.jpg (806 KB, 2725x2795) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
806 KB, 2725x2795
Ready to be depressed?

100% of net job growth in the U.S. since 2000 has gone to immigrants (legal and illegal).
>>
>>58986199
>not having a trust fund set up for them by filthy rich grandparents

Fucking degenerates.

I haven't worked in 6 years, nor do I plan on doing so until the day I die.
>>
>>58998512
cs has a really low barrier of entry, which is nice for lazy people like me. if i got fired tomorrow, with my year of experience and general easy-going nature i could find another company to work for in a few weeks. i dont think im that competent at all, but i get really good reviews and just got a $200 award for fixing something a few weeks ago

getting to a higher position really means middle-management. which is the worst if you have any shred of individualism. all top level positions are gotten by either being in the larvae stage of a business, or being sociopathic enough to claw your way up. everyone i see who is executive level is either an innovator, or a type A personality that lacks empathy. any easy to climb the socioeconomic ladder will quickly become saturated, so it makes sense that there is no 'honest' way to advance your socioeconomic class.

also being 'really good' at programming just gets you a 350k+ job at a tech company in silicon valley. nothing huge. i dont have a desire to be a ceo, i would rather work with my hands and develop my own skills for independent employment. not organize people's labor
>>
>>59011745
My brother.
>>
File: 1359142648095.gif (2 MB, 300x213) Image search: [Google]
1359142648095.gif
2 MB, 300x213
>>58990651
LITERALLY RARE
>>
>>58991970
also
if you dont have a good pulse (i couldn't find a better word for that your hands dont shake a lot) to begin with its gonna be hard i know this because it happened to me but i didn't go to community college what i know, i know because my grandpa teached me
>>
>>58990334
my nigga,

my last job i specialized in creating custom HMI automation systems so the retard line monkeys could do their job
>>
File: 1450154296574.png (333 KB, 729x1416) Image search: [Google]
1450154296574.png
333 KB, 729x1416
>>58986199
on the one hand, this is bad news

on the other, someone I hate is going to school for exactly this
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.