[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /pol/ like to claim that liberals and college students
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: pondering-comic-book-guy-1.png (48 KB, 299x381) Image search: [Google]
pondering-comic-book-guy-1.png
48 KB, 299x381
Why does /pol/ like to claim that liberals and college students are a threat to freedom of speech? When all said libs/students are doing is actually just exercising their own free speech?

Sure, they can be a bit extreme at times -- but no more than when you and other right wingers are extreme. And when they are up against you, they're just calling you out on your unscrupulous behaviour, your archaic attitudes and beliefs, or just simply because you're a bad person who's deluded himself into thinking otherwise.

And despite what you constantly think, they all do this within the confines of freedom and speech and the first amendment. They're just exercising their own civil liberties, and sticking up for themselves, and those whom they feel need defending.

Face it, /pol/. They're not a threat to freedom of speech. You're just against those who oppose you and your beliefs, and want to silence them. Whatever suspicions you have that they'll try to take away your free anything is simply just projection.
>>
>>56734924
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-new-intolerance-of-student-activism-at-yale/414810/
>Students ask staff to ban "offensive costumes"
>Teacher sends email saying "they have the right to dress however they want"
>students chimp out, protest, ask for her and her husband to step down
You tell me
>>
>>56735627
>Students ask staff to ban "offensive costumes"
Ask, not demand. Hence free speech.
>Teacher sends email saying "they have the right to dress however they want"
Reiterating position. Free speech.
>students chimp out, protest, ask for her and her husband to step down
Protest, ask, but not demand or force people. Still making this free speech.
>>
>>56735932
In politics, everything is "asking" or "demanding", not forcing. Nothing is certain in STEM terms, and Trump being a racist should technically be irrelevant to his projected policies.
Don't pretend you don't understand social pressure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAuVQlLxD0
Next you'll say "oh but these white jolly people aren't being hurt! They're just being screamed at, as the old saying says, sticks and stones!"
>>
>>56734924
>Why does /pol/ like to claim that liberals and college students are a threat to freedom of speech?

Because they are.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-millennials-freespeech-poll-20151123-story.html

They use their freedom of speech to campaign for less freedom of speech.
>>
>>56736199
>In politics, everything is "asking" or "demanding", not forcing.
Still free speech at work.

>Nothing is certain in STEM terms
Unrelated and irrelevant.

>Trump being a racist should technically be irrelevant
Technically, but not culturally or politically.

>should technically be irrelevant to his projected policies
Which have and still included dubious projected treatments of certain ethnic groups.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAuVQlLxD0
Average college protest from a traditionally oppressed minority group.

>Next you'll say "oh but these white jolly people aren't being hurt! They're just being screamed at
No one's being screamed at. They're just chanting their protest and message.
>>
>>56736623
>bait
everyone please sage and ignore this shit
>traditionally opressed minority group
>gives you the right to scream louder than every other group
>gives you the right to break the rules
>gives you the right to scream inside of a library where other people are studying
>gives you the right to enforce your beliefs and views on others, not ask, not show, not merely tell, no enforce

>No one's being screamed at. They're just chanting their protest and message.
are you retarded? they're doing it, inside a fucking library, that's socially and culturally and educationally unacceptable beastly behaviour.
>>
>>56736998
>gives you the right to scream louder than every other group
Protesting usually gives you the right to scream as loud as you want.
>gives you the right to break the rules
No rules broken. Nor is this against any rules in a public space or university environment.
>gives you the right to scream inside of a library where other people are studying
As long as it isn't during someone's class, this is actually acceptable on campuses.
>gives you the right to enforce your beliefs and views on others, not ask, not show, not merely tell, no enforce
No one's having anything enforced on them.

>they're doing it, inside a fucking library
On a college campus where doing something like that is allowed. Don't like it? Go somewhere else. They have as much a right to be there, and protest, as you do.

>that's socially and culturally and educationally unacceptable beastly behaviour.
It's neither beastly nor 'unacceptable' behaviour.
>>
>>56734924

>They're not a threat to freedom of speech

>American Millennials are far more likely than older generations to say the government should be able to prevent people from saying offensive statements about minority groups, according to a new analysis of Pew Research Center survey data on free speech and media across the globe.

>Overall, our global survey found that a majority of Americans say that people should be able to say offensive things about minority groups publicly. Two-thirds of Americans say this, compared with a median of 35% among the 38 nations we polled.

>Source: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/20/40-of-millennials-ok-with-limiting-speech-offensive-to-minorities/
>>
File: 1447928621230.jpg (78 KB, 338x750) Image search: [Google]
1447928621230.jpg
78 KB, 338x750
Because they want to silence you if you offend anyone
(Protip: this is absurd)
>>
>>56737342
Nidhogg.
>>
>>56737342

>Protesting usually gives you the right to scream as loud as you want.

That's fine.

But when you start having liberal professors trying to bully people for having cameras on public property.

WE NEED SOME MUSCLE OVER HERE

That's when we have a problem. Liberals get so buttmad and scream and kick and tantrum whenever something hurts their feelings.

>As long as it isn't during someone's class, this is actually acceptable on campuses.

Nigger it's not acceptable to scream in a library.

>No one's having anything enforced on them.

IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME YOU'RE A BIGOT I'M GONNA TWEET YOUR BOSS AND GET YOU FIRED FOR HAVING OPINIONS
>>
>>56736359
>>56737384
>still no response from OP
OP BTFO
>>
>>56734924
>all said libs/students are doing is actually just exercising their own free speech?
>Hate speech legislation
>Hate speech school policies
>Going to the UN lobbying for international restrictions against hate speech
>Liberal nations without unlimited free speech protection from the UK to Sweden to France routinely jail, time and silence hate speech
>>
>>56737342
>screaming in a public library
>not against the rules
>not against socially accepted norms and values
>not against educationally accepted norms and values

>this is actually acceptable on campuses.
this is absolute bullshit, provide evidence, libraries are supposed to be houses of silence where one can turn to for his studies, not a protesting place where one can scream for shits and giggles

>No one's having anything enforced on them.
>Student goes to educational public space in order to learn quietly, protestors come by all screaming and chanting whatever
>oh no nothing's being enforced on you anon
There's literally no reason to do it inside of a library unless you're attentionwhoring, and you're just being a nuisance to others trying to study

>On a college campus where doing something like that is allowed. Don't like it? Go somewhere else. They have as much a right to be there, and protest, as you do.
they have every right to protest, but not every place is a place where you should be allowed to protest
a library is not supposed to be a place of protest, it's a place to study, you should go outside if you want to protest
>On a college campus where doing something like that is allowed.
you're bullshitting
Don't like it? Go somewhere else
>it's not our fault that you want to study :^)

>It's neither beastly nor 'unacceptable' behaviour.
I'm pretty sure that most people would agree with me, which means society agrees with me
Society would also agree with me that libraries and educational institutions aren't the right place for mere protests, they are the right place however for discussions, but as their screaming indicates, they aren't open for that, thus they're silencing real discussions and are nothing but cancer to an educational instituion
their behaviour is unacceptable
>>
>>56737765
>But when you start having liberal professors trying to bully people for having cameras on public property. WE NEED SOME MUSCLE OVER HERE.
Blaming an entire group based on one person who is enacting out of a common misconception about photography laws. And if it was a private university, they're within their right to withhold pictures taken.

>That's when we have a problem.
Only for disagreeing with your views.

>Liberals get so buttmad and scream and kick and tantrum whenever something hurts their feelings.
Ad odium argument.

>Nigger it's not acceptable to scream in a library.
By your standards, perhaps. But on public campus that allows such activities in the event of a protest, it's acceptable.

>IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME YOU'RE A BIGOT I'M GONNA TWEET YOUR BOSS AND GET YOU FIRED FOR HAVING OPINIONS
If you're doing something that's going to cost you your job, that's your own fault.
>>
>>56738303
>And if it was a private university, they're within their right to withhold pictures taken.
which it wasn't so there's no need to state that

>Ad odium argument.
>not even actually making an argument but just banter against libs
no need to do actively search for fallacies if it never was an argument to begin with

>>Nigger it's not acceptable to scream in a library.
>By your standards, perhaps. But on public campus that allows such activities in the event of a protest, it's acceptable.
fuck this guy, you're a literal fucking idiot, my fucking god, it has been never, ever, acceptable to scream inside of a fucking library

>>IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME YOU'RE A BIGOT I'M GONNA TWEET YOUR BOSS AND GET YOU FIRED FOR HAVING OPINIONS
>If you're doing something that's going to cost you your job, that's your own fault.
kek now you're just actively baiting

what defines that "something" which is going to cost me my job? Joining the KKK? ignoring someones feelings? disagreeing with someone? wearing the colour blue on thursday?
>>
>>56738215
>libraries are supposed to be houses of silence where one can turn to for his studies
Depends on the library. Clearly this wasn't one of them. Not to mention the disruption of the ability for those to study in it is a minor, irrelevant issue.

>There's literally no reason to do it inside of a library unless you're attentionwhoring, and you're just being a nuisance to others trying to study
See above.

>they have every right to protest
>but not every place is a place where you should be allowed to protest
Contradictory statements. Limited where one can protest is limiting their right to protest and exert free speech.

>a library is not supposed to be a place of protest, it's a place to study
Depends on the library.

>you should go outside if you want to protest
Or inside if need be. Limiting one's options to where they can protest is acting against free speech.

>>it's not our fault that you want to study :^)
It isn't.

>I'm pretty sure that most people would agree with me, which means society agrees with me. Society would also agree with me that libraries and educational institutions aren't the right place for mere protests
False consensus bias.

>they are the right place however for discussions
>but as their screaming indicates, they aren't open for that
Contradictory statements.

>they aren't open for that, thus they're silencing real discussions
Limiting where one can protest is silencing real discussions.

>their behaviour is unacceptable
By your standards.
>>
>>56738888
>which it wasn't so there's no need to state that
Then it was an enaction of a common misconception.

>it has been never, ever, acceptable to scream inside of a fucking library
1). By your standards.
2). It clearly was in this case.
3). It's acceptable in a modern university culture. And in that case, any adverses to that idea would be an example of simple ethnocentrism.

>what defines that "something" which is going to cost me my job? Joining the KKK?
Joining a hate group or exhibiting hate behaviours towards others would make you a problem to an employment environment and those you work with, yes.
>>
>>56738915
>Contradictory statements.
>i have the right to protest
>i therefore must have the right to protest everywhere

>Depends on the library. Clearly this wasn't one of them. Not to mention the disruption of the ability for those to study in it is a minor, irrelevant issue.
>imblyin dis h4rd
I am 99% sure that it used to be a study place until those idiots showed up
>a minor, irrelevant issue.
>minor
>irrelevant
topkek

>It isn't.
>I don't know basic human decency or civilization

>
>I'm pretty sure that most people would agree with me, which means society agrees with me. Society would also agree with me that libraries and educational institutions aren't the right place for mere protests
>False consensus bias.
start a poll then, and see how many would agree with you that screaming loudly inside of a library is socially, educationally, and culturally accepted behaviour

>>they aren't open for that, thus they're silencing real discussions
>Limiting where one can protest is silencing real discussions.
lel
>>
>>56734924

Because they are opposed to free speech and will gradually enforce laws to limit speech.

Just like "obscene" or "dangerous" material was deemed to not be free speech, you guys will begin to follow the rest of us and start limiting "hate speech".

It all spirals out of control at that point.
>>
>>56734924

Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn are in the U.N. demanding criminal punishment for utilizing the first amendment.

These things spread.
>>
>>56739486
>i have the right to protest
Yes, you should the right to protest and free speech. And dictating when and where you can do our limitations to that right.

>I am 99% sure that it used to be a study place until those idiots showed up
Too bad. It's a campus where a lot of people are allowed to go there. Which mean some are just as free to host demonstrations as others are free to study. Whether it's "rude" or crass towards one or the other is meaningless.

>basic human decency or civilization
Which shouldn't be a factor in freedom of expression.

>start a poll then, and see how many would agree with you that screaming loudly inside of a library is socially, educationally, and culturally accepted behaviour
Another false consensus bias and ethnocentric application.
>>
Kek at this pseudo intellectual fuck
>>
>>56739919

>Yes, you should the right to protest and free speech. And dictating when and where you can do our limitations to that right.

It's private property. It's entirely up to the owner if they wish to allow a protest there or not. They can bar or remove you from the premise completely separately from the first amendment issue.

If they so wish.
>>
>>56740501
>It's private property. It's entirely up to the owner if they wish to allow a protest there or not.
Meaning when, where, and how they can protest is up to whoever runs the place. Judging the examples given, protesting in a library was allowed.

>They can bar or remove you from the premise completely separately from the first amendment issue.
Which hasn't yet happened based on the information given.

>If they so wish.
Still waiting on 'em.
>>
>Face it, /pol/. They're not a threat to freedom of speech. You're just against those who oppose you and your beliefs, and want to silence them. Whatever suspicions you have that they'll try to take away your free anything is simply just projection.

I agree that they have the right to say whatever stupid bullshit they like. I think the discussion of "censorship" comes into play when examining why the world feels the need to blindly kowtow to the demands of whiny college liberals. As in there's a broader societal issue when the world deems that your opinion is irrelevant if you're hurting a poor minorities fee fees. People kissing Ahmed's ass and offering him tons of scholarships, money and swag when his technical know-how amounted to him cracking open a clock and throwing its innards into a pencil case is a great example of this. The fact that he was a Muslim came before literally everything else. The general populace is eagerly waiting to drop to its knees to suck minority cock at any given moment. You can cut the average person's white guilt with a steak knife these days. That being said I agree with you that censorship isn't a good name for this phenomena.
>>
I NEED SOME MUSCLE
>>
You can have free speech but when you use free speech to try to limit free speech it means you are actually against free speech even if you are exerting your right to free speech
>>
>>56740703

Thank you for reiterating my points?
>>
File: thumbs-up-512-000000.png (18 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
thumbs-up-512-000000.png
18 KB, 512x512
>>56742013
>>
>>56734924
>free speech

http://thehayride.com/2015/05/disagree-with-your-political-opponents-just-call-in-a-bomb-threat-at-their-meetup/
>>
How do you change the mindset of a person like OPs? The answer is probably: impossible. I realise it's basically a bait but there are people out there who think like that.

It's like with this people who thinks the earth is flat. It doesn't matter how much evidence you will provide them or just show them where their theory literally falls apart, that doesn't bother them. They will find other stupid arguments or repeat everything until the other party looses their mind and just BTFO.

Of course the flat earthener / liberal tard will see that more as a victory and not that they themselves are the problem.

Not going to proof read it because I'm on mobile.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.