[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wikipedia Definition of "mental disorder": >A mental
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: poster4-02-580x681.png (299 KB, 580x681) Image search: [Google]
poster4-02-580x681.png
299 KB, 580x681
Wikipedia Definition of "mental disorder":
>A mental disorder, also called a mental illness, psychological disorder or psychiatric disorder, is mental or behavioral pattern that causes either suffering or a poor ability to function in ordinary life.
So, is homosexuality a mental disorder or not?
Serious question, no memes please.
>>
Since homosexuals can operate just fine in daily life, it doesn't limit their functionality. Technically it isn't, even if it's fucked up.
>>
Psychiatric disorders: In a Dutch study, gay men reported significantly higher rates of mood and anxiety disorders than straight men, and lesbians were significantly more likely to experience depression (but not other mood or anxiety disorders) than straight women.[25]

Physical appearance and eating disorders: Gay men tend to be more concerned about their physical appearance than straight men.[26]

Ego-dystonic sexual orientation: Conflict between religious identity and sexual orientation identity can cause severe stress, causing some people to want to change their sexual orientation. Sexual orientation identity exploration can help individuals evaluate the reasons behind the desire to change and help them resolve the conflict between their religious and sexual identity, either through sexual orientation identity reconstruction or affirmation therapies. Therapists are to offer acceptance, support, and understanding of clients and the facilitation of clients’ active coping, social support, and identity exploration and development, without imposing a specific sexual orientation identity outcome.[30] Ego-dystonic sexual orientation is a disorder where a person wishes their sexual orientation were different because of associated psychological and behavioral disorders.
Sexual relationship disorder: People with a homosexual orientation in mixed-orientation marriages may struggle with the fear of the loss of their marriage. Therapists should focus exploring the underlying personal and contextual problems, motivations, realities, and hopes for being in, leaving, or restructuring the relationship and should not focus solely on one outcome such as divorce or marriage.[30] Sexual relationship disorder is a disorder where the gender identity or sexual orientation interferes with maintaining or forming of a relationship.
>>
>>56637503
The likelihood of suicide attempts is higher in both gay males and lesbians, as well as bisexual individuals of both sexes, when compared to their heterosexual counterparts.[31][32][33]
>>
>>56637503
This. I know a couple of faggots and I wouldn't know they're fags if I didn't hear it from everyone.

Not every faggot is ultra liberal faggot, some contribute to society.
>>
>>56637387
>So, is homosexuality a mental disorder or not?

It's no mental disorder. Now transgenderism, that's a whole different story.
>>
>>56637503
>operate just fine
>massive drug problems in gay community
>massive STD problems in gay community
>massive suicide problem in gay community (not even counting Trans)

yea totally fine
>>
>>56637387
I'd have to say no. Many things which people thought were disorders turned out to be not really disorders.

Left handedness used to be consider a sickness.

In early societies blond hair was considered sickness due to burning easily.

Flat-foot was considered a valid reason to not be accepted in the war until it was proven there was no correlation between flat foot and injuries.

So overall it seems many things we thought were disorders turned out not to be so.
>>
>>56637387
the problem you're running into is that anything can be argued to be anything. it's completely arbitrary to label a type of behavior as normal or a disorder, so there isn't a right answer, but yeah i'd say it's more consistent to think being gay is a mental disorder if you think being a pedophile is one as well
>>
>>56638125
yep. transgenderism is remarkably similar to other mental disorders like anorexia

http://www.wsj.com/articles/paul-mchugh-transgender-surgery-isnt-the-solution-1402615120
>>
these days it takes a mental disorder to function in "ordinary life", not the other way around.

Being ok with living how it is is the real mental disorder. if you know any bit of the truth depression is the natural response until you do something about it
>>
>>56637387
yes lol why are we still having this discussion
>>
there's no such thing as "mental illness"

it's either a) a natural response to a sick society
or b) a PHYSICAL illness resulting from water and food toxicity, lack of proper diet and so on.

there's a lot of the latter, and the establishment will try to pass it off as either a mental disorder that can be fixed by meds, or a natural difference that people should be proud of (see: autism. Getting millions of parents to be proud of their kids' brain injuries from vaccines and processed food)
>>
>>56637387
Not really. It doesn't manifest in MRI as differing brain patterns. I can confidently state that it's a matter of taste (acquired or not). Transsexuality on the other hand... oh boy their brains are a fucking mess. No amount of shock therapy or talking cures those poor bastards. Imagine waking up every day feeling confused and scared. And do-gooders think that pumping them full of hormones, cutting off their balls or crushing ovaries is a cure. If you have scitzhophrenia, you don't fucking cure it by amputating your arms!
>>
>>56637387
Psychologist here. Let's talk about homosexuality this way. Liking men is a paraphernalia or a fetish. Now under the current DSM a paraphernalia isn't a mental disorder unless it either causes extreme distress to the client or involves illegal activities (Such as pedophilia). Homosexuality in most cases is neither of these things unless you're the type that gets off on non-consensual sex.

In this way I reason that Homosexuality is not a mental disorder.
>>
>>56637726
>>56638201

That has more to do with hormonal imbalance than anything within the head. Of course one comes from the other but because of the indirect link it can't technically be labeled a mental illness.

>>56637982
I have the same experience with gays as this lad.

>>56638125
Oh yeah, no kidding.
>>
File: handle.jpg (68 KB, 620x533) Image search: [Google]
handle.jpg
68 KB, 620x533
DSM-V pls go
>>
http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2009.178319

"Conclusion: LGBT youths had higher prevalences of mental disorder diagnoses than youths in national samples, but were similar to representative samples of urban, racial/ethnic minority youths. Suicide behaviors were similar to those among representative youth samples in the same geographic area. Questionnaires measuring psychological distress may overestimate depression prevalence among this population"
>>
>>56638775
> b) a PHYSICAL illness resulting from water and food toxicity, lack of proper diet and so on.
While I agree that every mental disorder is physical in nature by steming from the brain, that does not mean every mental disorder is caused by outside causes. It's entirely possible for a body to 'come apart' without outside influence. Just look at all those birth defects or cancer cases in otherwise healthy people. Sometimes it's just bad luck.
>>
I'm not trying to say gays and pedophiles aren't disgusting, but determining socially unacceptable things are mental disorders is disgraceful for anything that claims to be scientific.

Extremes like only wanting to fuck toddlers or not having any urges at all for the opposite sex might be another case, though.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.