[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain yourselves.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: common core.png (371 KB, 479x725) Image search: [Google]
common core.png
371 KB, 479x725
Explain yourselves.
>>
SHORT
>>
>>56571643
Difficult =/= challenging. Common core math is too hard for the wrong reasons; it makes math seem more complicated than it is, with the end result that children will have less understanding and less interest. Hope that cleared it up for you, since I'm fully confident this was an earnest inquiry and not a shitpost since your flag is Canadian and not Australian.
>>
>>56571643

Common core math is not difficult, its just ass backwards to regular thought process and thus fucks up the kids in other scenarios and subjects

>can you make 10 using 9+3?
>No, 9+3 = 12
>Im sorry normal human being, but I wanted you to split the 3 into 2+1, then add 9 to one, forming the intermediate 10. There, now that that is done add the rest. So you did in fact form 10 at one point using 9+3
>>
>>56571643
Who even says it's hard? It's not, but the point of math is to simplify math problems as much as possible until you get the answer. The point of common core is to do the exact opposite of that. It makes the problem less simplified to get the same answer. Anyone that has done math knows there are several ways to do some of the same problems but there is always going to be a simpler way out of those several ones.

It's just retarded to try and make math less simplified to try and make it seem more simple when the way we did it for ages was the simply way and still is.
>>
File: 1446607710566.png (406 KB, 590x701) Image search: [Google]
1446607710566.png
406 KB, 590x701
>>56571643
>>
>>56571643
>Too hard
It's not difficult or challenging, it uses inefficient and backwards methods to overcomplicate a simple process and demands that you show your work.
It's building a sixty-process Rube Goldberg machine every time you wipe your ass, and no you can't just reuse the one you made last time.
>>
File: common core.jpg (102 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
common core.jpg
102 KB, 600x800
>>56571643
It's not that it's hard. It's that it's needlessly complicated. Why the fuck would you teach people an inefficient way of doing arithmetic?
>>
>>56571878

I do actually have a math degree. When I found out how they're teaching math to kids nowadays, I was ecstatic. Everyone in my generation (and yours, don't fucking lie) hates math, and I think that's a result of the boring monotonous computerized arithmetic algorithms they taught us. "carry the 1" is the stupidest shit i've ever fucking heard of, and i'm pretty sure that kids will benefit from it being gone.

There are a lot of teachers though who ruin it because they themselves don't know what the fuck they're doing and why they're doing it, and so some very stupid lessons get written, up, i'll give you that. But in the long run, I think new math is the way to go.

Not speaking with regards to the entire common core ideology/politics though, just saying that the mathematical theory they do is fine/improved.
>>
File: commoncore.jpg (71 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
commoncore.jpg
71 KB, 500x500
>>56571643
>>
>>56572102
>that image
I don't get it.
>>
>>56572208

This is exactly what I was talking about here
>>56571841
>>
>>56572102

Fuck arithmetic, we do actually have computers and calculators for that shit. I think the new way develops a deeper and more general analysis process, that will come in incredibly handy once they start doing real math.

Yeah, 100% 100% 100% this new math is probably hell on the kids learning it for the first time. But the benefits will be seen much later, come algebra (WHAT THIS NEW MATH IS IS BASICALLY ALGEBRA IN DISGUISE) and beyond.
>>
>>56572184
Why is it that Canadians always shit post so eloquently?

>Everyone in my generation (and yours, don't fucking lie) hates math, and I think that's a result of the boring monotonous computerized arithmetic algorithms they taught us. "carry the 1" is the stupidest shit i've ever fucking heard of, and i'm pretty sure that kids will benefit from it being gone.

I seriously doubt you even have a math degree but anyways I love math and use it all the time in my day to day life. I think mainly in numbers, statistics, and financing. How is carry the one the stupidest thing you've ever heard of? It's literally the most simple way to do basic math. I doubt kids will benefit from it at all, I'm certainly not suffering from not having learned it in school and it took me like 2 minutes to learn it and see how much more stupid it was than the "old" way.

It is not improved at all, I fucking hate Canadians so much.
>>
>>56571807
This basically. Why over complicate things when it's fine the way it is?
>>
It's bullshit that caters to children literally not able to handle numbers greater than their number of fingers.
Great for teaching niggers, frustratingly cumbersome for kids with functional minds.
>>
>>56572208

5-2 = 3
8+3 = 11
5+8 = 13
(8+2)+3=13

What the fuck, you can't get 10 with 8+5
They are sabotaging education system or wut
>>
>>56572208
what's next?

2+2= 5?
6-3= 6?
>>
>>56573021
NO

70+30 = 100
6 + 3 = 9

why struggle
>>
>>56572955

See here
>>56571841

What they want you to do is split the 5 into 2+3.
Then add the 8 with the 2 so 8+2 = 10
Then you add the 3 after so 10+3 = 13

So, for a step in the process, you did make 10 using 8+5. It was an intermediate in the grand scheme of things. Its supposedly to enforce critical thinking but at that young an age im pretty sure it just fucks them up.
>>
>>56573084

Yeah sure whatever, I actually suck at arithmetic. Blaming the methods I was taught tho hehe
>>
>>56573021
You actually fucking do it that way? I would not do it that way at all. I would add 3 and 6 and then 3 and 7 in order like the "carry the one" way. I just explained my process way faster than yours. If you think that way i feel sorry for you.

Also

>Bachelor of Arts. Economy and Math

Lol how was community college? Tough huh?
>>
>>56573021
no. in my head i ut 7 and 3 together for 10 = 100 and 6 and 3 for 9, 109.

your degree is useless.
>>
>>56573124
I didn't go to high school and I suck hard at math in general, but come on, I can do my groceries right
>>
>>56571643
Common core over-complicates the mental math process that everyone that isn't a fucking retarded nigger/spic can do. The test is designed to make it easier for niggers and spics to understand basic computation while also making it more confusing for the average students.
>>
>>56572102
I might be grasping at straws here but it looks like they trying to teach nogs simultaneous equations earlier because that might be where test results between the races start to exponentially develop.
>>
>>56571643
Let's say I roll into town and I start a driving school, to teach people how to drive. Except I do things a little bit different. I use this method where you lay down in the back seat, real comfy, and you drive the car using a system of mirrors, hockey sticks and string. When you get the hang of it you can drive the car just fine, but it's a little bit fucked up.
>>
>>56573169

I could have gotten same degree with a BSc if I would have transferred faculties earlier, unfortunately at my uni they have "residency requirements" making you have to do a certain amount of credits (1 or 2 full years worth?) in that faculty to be given their degree.

And tbqh senpai the BA math was harder than the BSc, hear me out: In the faculty of science at my community college, you don't actually need any fourth year classes to major in something... Fucking weird but it's basically because the 4th year courses are essentially grad school prep courses. But anyways in the faculty of arts, you DID have to take fourth year courses to get the major, so I had to take some advanced real analysis and algebraic topology and shiiiit. So anyways BA math > BSc math.
>>
>>56571807
Dated a math teacher, who successfully was part of a rally to remove common core in Oklahoma. The methods are way to convoluted, I had to help my nephew with decimals, and it made sense to me, because i lnow about them already. But a 9 year old isn't going to understand it at all, especially when they are using concepts that they don't understand. Most of them had no understanding of the part of a whole system with decimals, and just attributed it to be a really big number. I.e. 1.0012 is really tenthousand and twelve, and decimal goes as a guess. Pretty pathetic system.
>>
>>56571643

S A G E
A
G
E
>>
>>56573509

countersage
>>
>>56573305
No they're teaching subtraction by doing easy additions.

Equation:
32-12

Start with 12, bring it to the nearest 5

12+3=15

Now to the nearest 10

15+5=20

Now to the 10 closest to the first number

20+10=30

Now add how many you need to get the correct ones digit

30+2=32

To find the result of the subtraction, sum up the numbers you added:

3+5+10+2=20

It's really stupid and convoluted. They changed:

32-12=X

To

32=12+a+b+c+d
X=a+b+c+d
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.