[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Frozen in time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 11
Why has Christmas become frozen in time? A knee jerk reaction might be to say it's because Christmas is all about tradition but that doesn't explain why the 1950s through the mid 1960s is where Christmas is frozen. Almost all Christmas music and tv specials are from that period. How many Christmas "classics" from from other time periods? It's not as if Christmas suddenly came into existence in the 1950s. The "newest" common Christmas song is Feliz Navidad, which is from 1970.

Are we as a culture simply unable to make positive celebratory music anymore? I've noticed most new Christmas songs, tv shows, and music are very cynical and designed to make people feel bad about Christmas rather than happy. Is this accidental or simply a reflection of modern culture?

Are slavs beating up Santa really what our culture is about now? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t2TzJOyops
>>
>>56526544
>What is Elf
>What is National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
>What is a bunch of movies

Anyway, Christmas will "progress"(probably with black santa exclusively) once the generations that remember the 50's and 60's die out.

Aka, once the boomers are gone things will be better.
>>
>>56526544
Things will change once A Christmas Story stops being the greatest Christmas movie of all time.
>>
File: 1423195562383s.jpg (3 KB, 125x121) Image search: [Google]
1423195562383s.jpg
3 KB, 125x121
>>56526792
I never imagined that some Will Ferrell movie I went to go watch in some shitty moldy 2 dollar movie theater when I was young would become such a staple to me and my family's yearly Christmas watch list.

Fuck I love Christmas so goddamn much.
>>
File: Merry-Christmas.gif (985 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
Merry-Christmas.gif
985 KB, 400x225
>>56526792
Christmas Vacation? Really? A grown man standing in public in his robe holding a hose shooting out shit from his RV is an example of modern Christmas? Like I said, it's all a nasty cynical take on one of our most sacred celebrations.
>>
File: 1-Die-Hard-quotes.jpg (34 KB, 543x467) Image search: [Google]
1-Die-Hard-quotes.jpg
34 KB, 543x467
>>56526544
>implying Die Hard is not the definitive Christmas film.
>>
>>56527122
Enjoy those family times anon.

Our family used to have a list of movies we would watch together, play games, have dinner.

And when my dad died, we don't do that anymore. There's still grandparents to go to, but my immediate family hasn't had a family dinner since 2009.

My old house that I grew up in is piled in filth and garbage. Mom's way of coping with her husband's - my dad's death was hoarding everything.

Now when Thanksgiving and Christmas roll around, the house is nothing but a hollow shell of a once happy and fulfilling life.

I feel so sorry for my mother. I was in AIT when dad died, I had to leave two days after we buried him(Died on christmas leave). Then when I get home I moved out of the house and got a job 100 miles away.

Poor woman must be so depressed.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just needed to vent a little.

I am envious of those who
>>
>>56527143
It's a take on that one crazy guy in everyone's family. Welcome to the modern world.
>>
File: 1440259933596.jpg (109 KB, 901x883) Image search: [Google]
1440259933596.jpg
109 KB, 901x883
>>56527481
My Grandma died this May. So the cycle is starting to being for me I guess. Fuck I feel so bad for my mom and Grandpa. She doesn't want to do Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner this year because of obvious reasons so my Sister is taking on the role. Based redpill siblings are a blessing.
>>
>>56527689
Your grandmother was probably a whore mate.
Your sister will probably fuck it up too, its a shame that you did not man up and do it yourself.

Typical American male of today
>>
>>56527269
>>
It's because most popular Christmas media is from before the "War on Christianity" in America really kicked off.
>>
>>56527689
My grandparents are both alive on both sides. Them having to bury their son when he was 54 was hard.

I am extremely scared for the day my Grampa dies. It will be soon, he's 88 years old and just gave up mowing his yard. I always told myself when he gives up mowing his yard, his days are numbered.

He's the closest I have to a father, and my grandmother will be devastated when he goes, but I think it will be easier than when dad died.
>>
File: 1400454920198.jpg (49 KB, 400x595) Image search: [Google]
1400454920198.jpg
49 KB, 400x595
>>56526544
The new shit is terrible and most of the time just a redux of the old stuff. I'm okay with there being no new Christmas Media ever.
>>
Because people like traditions, and networks like high ratings for reruns.

And as somebody who was a kid in the late 70's and early 80's...that shit was iconic, they only put those shows on once, there were no repeat airings per holiday season for some of them.

This was back when vcr's ect were new, you were pretty much at the mercy of the television for what you saw. It was not just a show on tv, it was an event and you could miss it, and watching it felt special.

Shows used to announce that they were specials, and that meant something. That was exciting, as far as watching television goes.

These days? It's not a big deal You want to air something once? People will just watch it on pvr whenever the fuck they want as often as they want. It's harder to build something up the way Ives's Rudolph or Snoopy or Grinch got established.

Plus, they are exceptional examples. Rudolph, snoopy, the grinch, that stuff is fucking great, good quality, good music, good stories for kids, everything.

Believe me when I tell you that there were a ton of garbage christmas cartoons too. Like almost all of hanna barbara's stuff, those christmas specials were kind of awful. I liked them at the time because watching a cartoon was better then not watching a cartoon as far as I was concerned, but for the life of me I don't remember more then a few seconds of any of it. There was plenty of absolute crap that has not survived the passage of time.

Nobody's really made anything as good as the staple multi-generational christmas shows.

In decades and decades of christmas specials, only a few have enjoyed the perfect storm of writing and production ect to become a product that's good enough to endure.
>>
>>56526544
>Is this accidental or simply a reflection of modern culture?
When in doubt, blame those stinking Jews

> Jews have been the vanguard of an effort to “transform Christmastime into a holiday season belonging to all Americans,” without religious exclusivity. The most important Jewish mechanisms of secularization are comedy and parody, for laughter undermines religious awe. Take, for example, Hanukkah Harry from “Saturday Night Live”, who heroically steps in for a bedridden Santa by delivering presents from a cart pulled by donkeys named Moishe, Hershel, and Shlomo. Remarkably, Hanukkah Harry has emerged as a real Santa-alternative for many American Jews. Plaut sees such things not as attempts at assimilation but as an intentional subversion of Christmas traditions. “Through these parodies,” he writes, “Jews could envision not having to be captivated by the allure of ubiquitous Christmas symbols.” And it isn’t just Jews: for Americans in general, Jewish parody helps ensure that Christmas “not be taken too seriously” and that the celebrations of other traditions “be accorded equal respect and opportunity.”

http://www.theoccidentalobserver.net/2012/12/yes-virginia-the-jews-stole-christmas/
>>
>>56526544
The answer is always Jews
>>
Because the only christmas movies that cone out now are Seth Rogan Christian bashing multicultural garbage. Also Die Hard nigger.
>>
That period was when music recording was hitting it's high point.
>>
>>56529162
>Nobody's really made anything as good as the staple multi-generational christmas shows.

True but I can't help but ask why we're not capable of making anything new that's good? It's almost all negative and depressing.

>Shows used to announce that they were specials

Something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0CFlY1x9Cc
>>
>>56529707
>True but I can't help but ask why we're not capable of making anything new that's good? It's almost all negative and depressing.

Well like I said, it was rare for good shit to be made even back before everything about entertainment was decided by bean counters.

And nobody is really trying. Like look at rudolph. There's not much stop motion these days beyond short skit shows, because it costs relatively more money then just straight animation does.

>Something like this?

Yes, exactly, part of me feels a bit happy just from seeing that. I don't think I'd feel the same way if I had not grown up with one and done broadcasts. So that's a component that is lost to time.
>>
No, there's a point here. Was in an office yesterday and they were playing "classic" christmas music, and literally all of it from the 1950s. It got me thinking as well. What is it about the 50s that gave birth to such popular Christmas music? I guess we could say that in the pre-Tv, radio culture, it was more important to set a christmas "mood" for the Jews to sell their products for the christmas season. Or maybe the idea of singing anything related to a Christian holiday became taboo after the JEws finished turning society upside down in the 1960s? There is a definite point, at least as far as music. In TV, the best shows are done and gone. Anyone who thinks "the grinch movie" (rather than cartoon) or a "will ferrell" movie is christmas fare is white trash.
>>
>tfw kids only think christmas is for presents here
>bitch around when they do not get what they wanted
MAKES
MY
BLOOD
BOIL
>>
>>56526544
There's tons of Christmas music that comes out new, every year. You just don't hear them because its fashionable to bash Christmas/Christianity in the mainstream.

I swear its like /pol/ never, ever goes to church. If you're going to complain, don't be that guy who whines about the decline of our culture and then does absolutely nothing to further it.
>>
File: tradition.png (121 KB, 740x518) Image search: [Google]
tradition.png
121 KB, 740x518
>>56530080
Might have been easier to make the numbers work when there were only three major networks to split the audience between. One of the other downsides of having so much choice now is that we lose commonality with each other.
>>
>>56527143
>Cousin Eddie not being your favorite character
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>56527041
Will literally never fuckin happen A Christmas Story is the confirmed GOAT
>>
>>56530523
Please link us to some of this high quality new Christmas music. All I hear coming out each year is either a cover of something old, an edgy take on Christmas, or people on YouTube with no talent insisting they're the next big thing. But if you have a cache of undiscovered new gems, please share them.
>>
>>56530413

>FUCK YOU DAD I WANTED THE IPHONE 6S NOT THE GALAXY S6 I HATE YOUUUUUUUUUU
>>
>>56526544
people don't make new christmas music because these days, somebody somewhere is gonna call it racist or some stupid shit and sue the band
>>
have some traditional austrian christmastime music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROwhuwqXDPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV6YuRgmBKM

>>56530939
exactly
>>
>tacky 50s rock songs shoved down our throats day and night for a whole month

A little is ok, but it never ends. I try and break it up with anything. This is a nice song. What are some other good classical Christmas songs. I want to play a playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaEpGDBb8O0
>>
YOUR GONNA SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT KID
>>
File: SantaSpend.jpg (97 KB, 487x600) Image search: [Google]
SantaSpend.jpg
97 KB, 487x600
>>56530939
I've never been interested in drugs so I didn't do them as a teen but I truly understood the concept of a post high crash after one Christmas when my parents bought me lots of really great gifts, I was super excited opening them, but later that night when I looked at the pile of stuff in my room, I left completely empty. That was when I realized what a travesty it was that Christmas had been hijacked and turned into an orgy of consumerism and consumption. I rarely buy physical gift anymore, instead giving shared experiences with those I love. There isn't an Apple product that can compare to learning to ski with my brother (we were awful but had fun falling down) or going caroling with my grandparents.
>>
>>56533189

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6OgZCCoXWc
>>
>>56533189

One that just came to mind would be nutcracker, clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U_gpW1J4LM
>>
File: 1415017478132.gif (236 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1415017478132.gif
236 KB, 500x500
>>56530930
Micheal Buble drops a solid carol, man. I must admit, though, he's just a new Sinatra.
>>
>>56526544
>christmas should be more progressive
>stop being so boring
fuck off kike.
>>
>>56534306

You have to admit our Christmas songs arent that great. Definitely not good enough to consider some great tradition. That shit could be thrown out tomorrow and no one would remember it. The songs are catchy and pretty feel good, even if they are tacky, but they just aren't anything worthy of being time honored. I would expect something modern to be even far worse though.
>>
>>56534306
Progressive? Who said anything about that? Read the thread. All the new "progressive" music is shit. That's the problem. Guess reading comprehension isn't one of your strengths.
>>
File: BADSANTA_2747800b.jpg (52 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
BADSANTA_2747800b.jpg
52 KB, 620x387
>>56526544
>ctrl-f
>no Bad Santa
It's like you guys don't even like the greatest Christmas movie of all time.
>mfw other family's Christmas movies are a Christmas story or similar movies
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.