[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shields?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1447456496605.jpg (95 KB, 811x959) Image search: [Google]
1447456496605.jpg
95 KB, 811x959
Why don't police regularly use shields? This is a very serious question. I feel that it would drastically reduce the cop's need to use their firearms.
>>
>>56474811
no one? Surely someone has something to say about this issue.
>>
>>56474811

It is pretty much impractical. Shields are large and bulky which make them slow to pull out in a serious situation. They also seriously hinder the movement of the police in situations where they need to move quick. Good for riot control and controlled situations, bad for everyday use.
>>
>>56474811
Powerful Tasers, Mace Jets (my personal favorite and what I use erry day, also don't mistake for sprays) and Rubber Bullets (the rubber part masks the fact that they are carrying 1/3rd of the energy of an M4 bullet) are better than shields
>>
Its going to be a sad day when Assads family is raped and murdered
>>
>>56475815
All of those are aggressive. Shields are inherently passive. What is the point of police? To diffuse the situation and protect the public. I do not believe that requires an aggressive first response. Give them shields so they arent so trigger happy.
>>
>>56474811
Because they are fuckhueg and in order to reliably stop high powered bullets they also need to be heavy as fuck, reducing the poor guy carrying it to a single sidearm.
>>
>>56474811
>>56475983

It this a troll thread or are you a genuine hippy retard?
>>
>>56476002
This, with current technology, is not correct. There are bullet proof clip boards. Some police are actually given these clipboards to use as shields in traffic stops. I believe there are too many assumptions surrounding the word "shield" Multiple anons have already said they are too large or bulky to be practical. With technology today I do not believe this is the case.
>>
>>56476186
I do not catch your meaning. Can you list your objections to this idea so that we can further cultivate it into a positive influence on society.
>>
>>56476002
They do not have to be heavy, there are materials that can prevent high powered bullets penetrating them. Why does an officer need more than a sidearm?
>>
Here is a huge problem with shields. When police arrest some one, have to frisk them, or hell, even writing a ticket, it takes two hands. A shield by its very nature is going to take up one of those hands putting the cop at a disadvantage. Even in prisons where they use taser shields regularly it is usually only one on the shield and five more to come around and subdue the guy.

On a preplanned attack I can see shields being deployed. But coming up on a domestic and seeing a guy holding a woman's head under water requires quick response that makes shields too impractical.
>>
>>56478784
Thank you very much for your reply. I did overloook this fact, which I am sure is only one of many things I overlooked, I am very appreciative of your input. I suppose a shield would inherently make the aggressor feel more in control, as opposed to a cop using a weapon. Surely there is some sort of middle ground. Again, thank you.
>>
>>56475625

why not just have 4 police officers form a turtle all equipped with shields
>>
>bulletproof clipboards
you're a genius anon we should replace bulky body armour with wooden boards
this is probably the worst bait thread i've seen in a while
>>
>>56480192
If we are capable of making bulletproof clipboards, we can surely make other lightweight objects bulletproof. Without insulting your intelligence, are you short sighted, or merely un-informed.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.