[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was born in 1995, what is this? I remember 9/11 happening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: September_11_Photo_Montage.jpg (1 MB, 1057x1821) Image search: [Google]
September_11_Photo_Montage.jpg
1 MB, 1057x1821
I was born in 1995, what is this?

I remember 9/11 happening (imo, if you were born in at least 96, you should remember it), but I don't understand the significance of the attacks. Older people say it changed everything but for me, life continued on as it was before: carefree and happy. Most of the "90s" movies, music, and TV shows didn't really go away until 2005, from what I remember.

So tell me: how did "muh 9/11" change everything?
>>
It didn't.

You are just North American, self-centered, and heard it from people like you.
>>
>>55822091

prior to 9/11, the war was just blurbs on the news,

post 9/11, the war became a part of everything
>>
>>55822091
It isn't now. At the time, we had no idea what would happen next. Most Americans thought it was just the first of a much larger attack.
>>
>>55822091
My dad literally told me that morning, as I was getting ready for school, that it would define my generation. I thought it was just pilot error.

It still pisses me off he was completely right.
>>
File: 1394502735700.gif (2 MB, 272x153) Image search: [Google]
1394502735700.gif
2 MB, 272x153
>>55822091
>So tell me: how did "muh 9/11" change everything?
1985 here.
First, Columbine changed how school was here. We went from "you shouldn't pick on your peers, Chris, or you'll get ISS" to "What, you said you wanted to kill Jacob? WE'RE CALLING THE POLICE!"

Then 9/11 happened and the country pissed its collective panties.
"Fear, terror, terrorists, terror, bombs, terrorists, fear, guns, terror, fear, guns guns, terror, nine eleven, fear, terrorists, nine eleven, etc etc..."
Spying, broken communities, entitled shitheads everywhere, children being raised by adults who act like children.
The country was already on its way to sacrificing liberty for security. But the commitment to that ideology was made official on 9-11-2001.

Look how EVERYONE acts now, as soon as any kind of attack happens. "HELP! GOVERNMENT! POLICE! SAVE US!"
Police and soldiers are now "heroes" regardless of actions, and despite the fact that they're part of the same government that literally causes all of these horrendous problems in the first place. It would be like if the X-Men went around causing mayhem and the Avengers cleaned up that mayhem.
>>
>>55822091
before 9/11 no one really noticed kebabs and people thought there were a small collective of nutjobs

after 9/11 people realized most kebabs are nutjobs
>>
>>55822091
the hype and optimism for the 21st century was kill after 9/11.
>>
>>55824568
the hype and optimism for the 21st century never really happened.

apart from if the Y2K virus would do anything - it was probably the most shit new year party I had.
>>
As long as terrorist attacks are not sustained it really doesn't change your life.

If the mudslimes ever catch on and begin constant, daily attacks then you will see changes.

Until then it's just news stories that catch everyone's attention for a while.
>>
>>55822091
They didn't use to touch your balls at the airport.
>>
File: tumblr_n3gyszASxO1qbphfbo1_250.gif (543 KB, 250x148) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3gyszASxO1qbphfbo1_250.gif
543 KB, 250x148
>>55822091
I want to make fun of you for being so stupid but I also find myself a bit jealous of your innocence.
I'm only 6 years older but I wish I was your age rn.
Stay in school kid.
>>
Mostly I remember the fallout from 9/11 being a lot of gullibility and hysteria, imagine if the whole country turned into a /pol/ happening thread. Every day there was some new threat or unconfirmed "incident" for months. It took a toll on people's psyche and it's hard to explain exactly but the culture was never quite the same way again.
>>
>>55822091
>from what I remember.
you were six. You remember jack shit. And of course nothing much changed given how much cotton wool children have wrapped around them.

Didn't have as big an impact in the UK, but Americans went batshit insane after 9/11. Suddenly you could get Americans to do ANYTHING if you prefixed it with the words 'to protect us from terrorism we must...'. Americans have always been more emotional and less reasoning compared to us cold-blooded Brits, but after 9/11 it felt like the logical part of their brain just totally shut down.

As for what it felt like to outsiders - you have to remember that America was fairly well regarded internationally before that. Culturally, economically and politically America was doing great; Bill Clinton especially was one of the most internationally popular presidents the US had had in decades. It was starting to cool slightly after Bush was elected, but then there was the sudden up-swell of support in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. And then, for the year or two after that, the gradual realisation that 'oh shit, we have a problem here' as America became fun 90s America less and less, and started becoming paranoid, belligerent 2000s America.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.