[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a fair price for higher education?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: unemployment-grads-cartoon.jpg (35 KB, 472x366) Image search: [Google]
unemployment-grads-cartoon.jpg
35 KB, 472x366
What's a fair price for higher education?
>>
A full term of military service. If you want the government to pay for your college, you must give the government 3 years of your life.

Actually that already happens. 9/11 GI Bill is amazing.
>>
>>55795655
the one that's created by supply and demand without any intervention from the government
>>
File: trump.jpg (130 KB, 676x673) Image search: [Google]
trump.jpg
130 KB, 676x673
Quick question. Why doesn't the US government subsidize college programs that are needed to fill in a certain gap in the working force and keep the normal high tuition for useless degrees like liberal arts or medieval Timbuktu studies?
>>
>>55796097
As much as I hate welfare queens I agree with this although if the military is the only thing you can think of to pay for college you're probably to dumb for college anyways
>>
>>55796914
Good idea but feminists would shoot it down as "discrimination" America is a big pro female pussy anymore.
>>
>>55795655

The market price.

If people had to actually save up for an education how many people would take up basket weaving? If people had to present their case to a bank (i.e. I'm going to be good to pay off this loan because this is going to help me get a job) how would they go getting a loan when they struggled to pass highschool and want to do a feminist studies degree?
>>
>>55796914
Because that would be the smart thing to do. Our country is run by idiots, our citizens are idiots. Everyone is an idiot here.

Another thing wrong with this is that there are simply no jobs anywhere so a program like that wouldn't work simply because there are so many people in college already and no jobs.
>>
>>55796914
>yuge

die everytim
>>
What's the best way to be self-employed?
>>
>>55796097
Fuck that. 12 - 18 months I'd be fine with though.
>>
>>55797289
There are a lot of warehouse jobs pal, millennials want to be CEOs right out of college with no work or life experience they rather be unemployed then start from the bottom. I think most view higher education as a shortcut.
>>
>>55797525

A big example of this is the explosion in "management" degrees. Why are undergrads doing degrees in management? Who are they going to manage? They have no basic skills but want to be the boss straight away.
>>
>>55797464
Depends on the type of business. There is a pretty big disrupter movement in America currently think Netflix,Uber, hell even Harry's razors.
>>
>>55797599
Would it not be accurate to say the biggest problem in education and the source of most of our problems is that technology has rendered your average person redundant in positions that at one point required skill? Essentially there are too many students coming out of universities hoping for job positions that no longer exist.
>>
My advice to any High School grad I meet: Learn a fucking trade. Forget the bullshit degrees you want to "pursue your passion", forget trying to muddle through one of the STEM degrees (for the most part, most can't hack it, for good reason), forget the 4 year college experience; get a job where, after a relatively small investment in time and money, you can have a ready-made job earning a living wage.

Like, elevator repair. How many of you are elevator repairmen? How many of you know someone who is? I'll bet most of you aren't or don't know anyone, and I'll also bet that all of your friends would say the same. Still, they're needed, they make a good living, and the training program is brief (two years or so). Same with locksmiths, and a whole host of other trades. The US educational system has been pushing marginal to exceptional students to go to college, leaving vocational training to those it deems subpar. Do you want an idiot building your house, or the bridge you drive across? Do you want your car worked on by the bottom of the barrel? Of course not. Let's start encouraging kids to seek another path to gainful employment, and watch the tuition prices drop as a side consequence.
>>
>>55799038
They want to be Mark Zuckerbergh, Bill Gates and Ellon Musk and they have been conditioned to think college is the way to do it nevermind the fact that those guys are all dropouts.
>>
>>55799038
What do you mean with regards to STEM degrees? I have a masters in a STEM field and found a job quite fast. I thought it was a good return on invesment.
Maybe I made a mistake?
>>
>>55799290
No, I'm not referring to the people who can make it through the STEM degrees, I'm talking about the mass of people who TRY to. The huge freshman engineering, pre-med, nursing, chemistry, etc classes that get dwindled down to nothing by the end of their first year. No, good on you, anon, for having the brains and the stones to complete your degree. You obviously had what it took. The vast majority do not. That's what I'm saying. For those students who lack the aptitude, yet are pressured into those programs; they need to know that there are other options.
>>
>>55799290
In America if you're white that investment on average is about $40,000 a year at 6% interest. What is it like for you?
>>
>>55798004

Pretty much. And mechanization is only going to keep ramping up.
>>
>>55799750
We're being ground down into cogs which is fine and all but to call it freedom.. well just Fuck that. I really don't feel like supporting this system anymore. What keeps you going?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.