[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just can't help but smile when I watch this video, a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
I just can't help but smile when I watch this video, a spontaneous feel-good moment of 1980s America in a 7-11 store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA

Even though I am a friendless NEET non-white who hates to socialize with today's normies, it makes me wonder if I were around back then, whether I would have been part of a friendly group and had a lively good time with strangers in a friendly, almost communal setting.

It makes me feel nostalgic for a time I never lived in, a sense of optimism and trust in humankind, which I almost never feel these days. These days, it's harder to believe that there is good in people.
>>
Have you seen the updated version from 2014 done by the same guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8n11y2lxrE

No two videos better highlight the great decline than these do. The people in the first video were energetic, they played along, everyone was having a good time even if they were stuck working shitty jobs or drifted through their pointless lives. They did it with a smile.

Then watch the 2014 edition. Everyone is miserable. Seriously, no one is happy. Just the guys who did the first video.

Not to mention one of their kids is wearing a fucking fedora.

People like to talk shit about how "you're just being a pessimist, things are better now than they ever have been." But watch those videos and tell me this isn't just some sampling size outlier. It confirms every hunch we've ever had.
>>
You're dumb. I've had comfier memories from around 2008 living in a Hispanic/black neighborhood. It's really dependent on the people.
>>
As a NEET I have a lot of comfy moments at 7 Eleven. Where else can you get pizza and hot sandwiches at 3 am.
>>
>>55557289
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA
This video disgusts me. Look at this xenophobic society where almost everyone is a white racist nazi.

Everyone knows it would be improved if it was culturally enriched with a little multiculturalism.

I bet these people don't even know that black lives matter.

What a horrible existence.
>>
>>55557289

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8n11y2lxrE
>>
>>55557414
Yes, I've seen it, and I agree with your assessment.

I don't really see any reason why people today would be having a good time. There is so much wrong these days that I don't know where exactly to start.

One thing I guess that can be pinpointed is how being more technologically equipped has actually disabled us socially. There is seemingly no point to socializing in real life with strangers when you are constantly connected with your friends through social media in your smartphone.

Furthermore, there is a sense that America is no longer a powerhouse, no longer a place for the American dream. And people are too diverse, coming from so many different upbringings and cultural backgrounds that there is little you have in common to connect with.

The way people talked back then -- if you talk like that with the average stranger today, they look at you like you are suspiciously overjoyed. You are invading their private space, and potentially a creep or even a criminal, instead of another human you can relate with.

Economics also undoubtedly seeps into every corner of people's lives, whether they are conscious of it or not. In the Reagan era, there was a sense that America is rebounding stronger than ever before. Today, there seems to be nothing but doom and gloom, whether you are liberal, conservative, or indifferent. More and more people have just given up or are resigned to a life of mediocrity because the idea of the middle class is disappearing.
>>
File: 1377719812128.jpg (23 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1377719812128.jpg
23 KB, 350x350
>>55557892
Their hot sandwiches are fucking gross though. I remember for a while, I'm not sure if it was Circle-K or 7-11, but one of them had Kolache sandwiches that were really good.
>>
Country went downhill after 9/11.
>>
>>55557973
Oh god the androgynous kids with a fedora and meme t shirt

fucckkk this is depressing
>>
File: 1446076727552.jpg (160 KB, 606x601) Image search: [Google]
1446076727552.jpg
160 KB, 606x601
>>55557289

Thank you OP. That video made my night. It's just so innocent and happy. I remember when the world was like this. I was born in 88 and I like to think my primordial soul looked down upon this 7-11 and said "This is the world I want to become a part of"

And for most of my childhood it was a wonderful world indeed... Then 911 happened, and since then everything started going to shit.

>TLDR 7-11 is the the best 11.
>>
>>55557289
wow i love the guy thats with the french chick
>>
But seriously I find it depressing to see all that optimism washed away in a sea of fear and racial tension.
>>55558086
Those children are particularly alarming. They don't understand the significance of what their fathers did and are doing and even if you explained it to them they wouldn't care because it's not shown to them through LCD screen on a smartphone.

I was shocked when the one in the adventure time tshirt was revealed as a girl.

And this is in a particularly nice 7-11 in a good neighborhood where mostly happy tourists visit looking for a good time. I was surprised to see white people working at the store these days. If they tried the same thing in a place like New York or LA the results would be drastically worse.

How can people honestly call this progress?
>>
>>55558009

this.

my goodness, i miss the 80's.
>>
>>55557930
Dude, not now.
>>
>>55558023
Went down even more after 2008 and only got precipitously worse each year that followed. I'd take the Dubya Years over the fucking present any day. At least vidya was still good.
>>
>>55557289
wow is this real america?
>>
My theory is that the reason people were so open back then is because they were all a part of the same culture, and they all had a sense of who the people around them were because those people are exposed to the same culture as they are, and therefore they must have similar thoughts.

Now there are a gazillion different subcultures and you have no sense of what is going on inside of the head of the people around you.
>>
>>55558899
WITNESSED AHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>55557289
copypasta, interesting use of script though
>>
>>55557289
made me feel really good OP

even our country back in the 70s-80s, we were top one economy in asia and everything's better
>>
>>55557289
Watching this video makes me feel uncomfortable about the level of closeness they all have. The feels do not jive with me at all.
>>
File: sgdg.jpg (3 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sgdg.jpg
3 KB, 250x250
>>55559969
>Philippines
>top one economy in asia
>back in the 70s-80s
>>
File: 80s and now.jpg (212 KB, 567x730) Image search: [Google]
80s and now.jpg
212 KB, 567x730
>>55559346
It's not just subcultures. Popular culture plays a huge part in it.

Just look at the music industry. Compare "wake me up before you go go" with "wrecking ball". It was a more innocent time where everything wasn't made to be sexually charged and full of degradation.

Teen sex was liberated at the cost of children's innocence.
>>
>>55557414
yeah but the 80's version everyone was coked the fuck out.
>>
>>55558009
I agree with everything you said except for the xenophobic bit. Having lived through the 80s in a multicultural neighborhood, I can say that we got along better back then than we do today. Today's special snowflake syndrome did not exist back then. Everyone strived to be American and were treated as such, no matter what color they were. Sure, there were the occassional trailer trash types who acted like the cunts tht you see on this board, but they were called out and treated like the dirtbags that they were. Now, it's somehow become acceptable to be petty and vindictive towards absolute strangers, and everyone turns a blind eye. So much for progress.
>>
>>55557289
This vid makes want to kill myself.
>tfw when born in post 90's perpetual war machine
>>
>>55560200
Wake me up is about not being stood up the day after having gay sex
>>
>>55557289
Canada is still kind of like this sometimes. You can have conversations with strangers if you want and nobody really makes it weird except the under 21 crowd.
>>
File: 1445991603970.jpg (66 KB, 593x457) Image search: [Google]
1445991603970.jpg
66 KB, 593x457
>>55557289

>no fat people
>every person is normal weight
>>
File: Capture.png (407 KB, 567x414) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
407 KB, 567x414
>>55560192
Dollar to Peso was 1:1 back in the days, we had the best president for 20 years until the oligarches forced 2% (Total pop is 50 million) of the population to rally and have him impeached at the capital and then took over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sstf3ueOfeU

We had the best relationship with america back in the days of Reagan
>>
File: image.jpg (420 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
420 KB, 1920x1080
feeling hard
always had a love for the late 80's/early 90s
the movies, the culture, the music, everything
though i'm looking through rose tinted glasses t jjst seems like a better time
It's my favourite thing to dream of
I hope sleep takes me soon so i'm not tormented by this feel for long
>>
>>55557289
>>55557414

LETS BE PROGRESSIVES EVERYONE! PROGRESS!
>>
File: 5135.jpg (310 KB, 1024x921) Image search: [Google]
5135.jpg
310 KB, 1024x921
>>55557289
Believe it or not it was the same here under communism, the people were much friendlier and more neighbourly.
>>
>>55558010
Circle k 25 cent hot dogs in key west. Saved me from hunger for 2 weeks.
>>
>>55558009
>One thing I guess that can be pinpointed is how being more technologically equipped has actually disabled us socially. There is seemingly no point to socializing in real life with strangers when you are constantly connected with your friends through social media in your smartphone.

This is basically it. Every time I read threads on here with guys complaining about never getting laid or going off on one about women (because they can't bang them), I always want to remind the dudes that even the nerds in their dads' high school classes got laid back in the day. Why? Because even simple shit involved interacting with people and talking to them. Nowadays, if you want to learn something, you can look it up online within seconds; back then, you had to go the library and say a few sentences to the chick on the counter. Talking to people and having confidence in doing it is a skill and you need to practice it like any other. People are fucking weird and insular now.
>>
>>55560440
Banter aside, there's a good reason for that. Food was actually food and not the plastic, genetically fucked up, pesticide and antibiotic laden recycled manure that passes for food nowadays. Case in point; I have a loaf of bread sitting on my counter that is two months past the sell by date that doesn't have a speck of mold on it. Tell me that isn't fucking scary.
>>
This video really is what it was like. Upbeat, fun, friendly. You would have dinner parties and as kids, we would be with neighbors or family 5 of 7 days a week. Everyone.

The early 90s was similar but with less of the friendly part.

Now, kids are raised in the 4 walls okf their homes and shuttled off to various scheduled and structured activities. I live in the same town and barely speak to our neighbors.
>>
>>55558899
>you will never play the ps2/xbox/gamecube era games for the first time again
You will never rent an n64 cartridge from Hollywood video again
>>
>>55560280

I know man, It's like people were far more human and warm back in the day. People are up tight and used to projecting themselves rather than just "being".

I want a hug jew-bro.
>>
>>55560331
Yeah and compare that to a modern song about gay sex https://youtu.be/ew-FnPkepOY
>>
>>55560693
>Case in point; I have a loaf of bread sitting on my counter that is two months past the sell by date that doesn't have a speck of mold on it. Tell me that isn't fucking scary.

try buying bread without preservatives then, im sure you have a local bakery where you live
>>
File: tumblr_m6r1j4vVte1qzlxwuo1_540.jpg (47 KB, 539x531) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6r1j4vVte1qzlxwuo1_540.jpg
47 KB, 539x531
>>55560693

I remember a few years ago some dude found a bunch of pics of his parents from back in the 70s (when they were his age - early twenties) and every single one of them would be called skinny now and it was for the same reasons. People ate real bread, real butter, real vegetables and most importantly of all - very little refined sugar. They made real meals from real ingredients.
>>
>>55560898
*he posted the pics on here, I forgot to add
>>
>>55560862
One of my dreams was to travel EU and then live in London for a year. this dream is dead now, it's over:(
This is all the leftwing. I can't believe they are willing to ruin all the good in the world just for power.
>>
>>55560898
Women weren't all working yet, meals could be made at home. When both parents are working there's very little time for a home cooked breakfast/dinner, even lunch has been neglected to the point where every piece of property near a highschool becomes a fast food place.

Sugar has increased as a substitution for fats which the bullshit corporate sponsored food pyramid told us was the source of all our health issues.

Oh well as long as there are fatties, I'll keep making bank off my nutrition degree.
>>
>Was too young at the time to properly enjoy it.
>Does not know what living in a non-cynical world is like

I grew up in the 90s and I just have always had this impression I was in a world that was in deep shit and it was just slowly getting worse.
>>
>>55557289
People here still act like the guys in this video
feelsgoodmang
>>
>>55557973
wow that's actually really depressing when played back after OP's vid.
>>
>>55561284
is it real that maltian language sounds seminar to the Tunisian dialect
>>
>>55561284
and about the people's behavior part i think a lot of people here act like the guys in the 80's
>>
I'm 48 - and on my way to work - so let me weigh in.
This vid is different because in 1987 seeing yourself on TV, or even getting your name printed in the newspaper, was a big deal. People would talk freely and ham it up around a camera, because they knew the tape would get tossed into a drawer and forgotten.

Today this would be seen by hundreds of people, many leaving smart-ass comments, and facial-recognition software would identify everybody, their address, phone and email, how much their house is worth, their Facebook and Linkin. We've overdone it. Getting filmed on camera today is only asking for trouble.

Plus, back in 1987 video cameras cost $2000 so the owner probably was a middle-class person and not some pervert or criminal, so yes, you could relax and have fun.
>>
Come to Iowa, just don't bring any niggers with you

Also, have you tried being nice to strangers? T yields better results than you'd think. People are desperate for someone to talk to them. You should see the way people on the train open up when you ask them about their day or something. It's really sad, but also gives me hope
>>
File: g.i..jpg (55 KB, 717x960) Image search: [Google]
g.i..jpg
55 KB, 717x960
This thread is quite possibly one of the most depressing and disheartening things I've stumbled on in a while.

Is there ever going to be a time where the world gets back to the way it was? Where we aren't constantly afraid of other human beings?
>>
>It makes me feel nostalgic for a time I never lived in

That's called romanticism, not nostalgia.
>>
>>55557930
this is textbook aussie shitposting. this is how you do it.
>>
>>55560898

this is a nonsense infographic.

exactly what are they comparing? fast food products made by the same company, same product, different year? doesn't appear so.

i could make a burger at home with 300 calories, or 1200 calories. i could make one this year, and another 20 years later.

i don't think i need to elaborate. this makes no sense.

you should have posted an image with the difference in drink sizes at fast food joints. now that would mean something.
>>
In 1965, the McCoys released a song called "Hang on Sloopy."

In it, there is a verse that says, "Sloopy let your hair down, let it hang down on me."

In my town, the preacher was outraged that this verse implied a female-superior sex position (chick on top). The radio station cut that verse.

Yes, America has degenerated. It was once REALLY innocent. Now it's a fucking toilet.
>>
>>55557289
the daughter looks like a SJW already

fucking sad glued to the phone as well
>>
>>55557414
Cocaine vs Antidepressants
>>
Yeah, because 7-11 fucking blows, OP.
Try going to a Wawa, where they hire people from the area who aren't the owner's family.

>>55557414
Right, you don't think this has anything to do at all with these chumps being full grown adults acting like sixteen year olds?

>>55558086
Not to mention, their father is letting them sit ON THE FUCKING PRODUCT!

>>55565154
In 1965, I could be sent off to death against my will just because the government said so, champ.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.