[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you consider being multilangual a valued asset in an employee?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: 1447098952891.jpg (192 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1447098952891.jpg
192 KB, 1600x1200
Do you consider being multilangual a valued asset in an employee?

We live surrounded by a bunch of beaner countries but don't know their language. I'm not saying you should learn spicanese, but at least learn something other than English.

Would you hire someone who doesn't know a second language? Or would you go for the guy who does, which shows motivation and skills beyond that of the guy who thinks learning anything other than English is communism?
>>
I see Spanish or Chinese about as valuable as someone knowing klingon. At best a neat parlour trick, at worst they're some weird obsessive faggot. English is the lingua franca.

If they can't say it in English then by virtue of coming from a non English speaker it isn't worth being heard.

What good is Spanish anyway? If I can't pronounce it I'll point on the menu and all is well. The same applies for all languages really.
>>
>>55438347

>At best a neat parlour trick, at worst they're some weird obsessive faggot

At best, you can talk to people outside of the bubble you live in.
>>
>>55438148
Spanish is a second language in the US so you get no benefits from knowing it. I fact, it's sometimes a requirement and you look bad for not knowing it.
>>
>>55438148
working in advertising agency my half assed internet english regularly made my coworkers mirin when telephoning with britain.

it was kekkeroni
>>
File: 1338427762540.jpg (175 KB, 649x621) Image search: [Google]
1338427762540.jpg
175 KB, 649x621
>>55438347

Oh, you've never left the U.S.

>teehee he only speaks english!
>>
>>55439359
BTFO

It's sheltered retards like that guy that are keeping this country in the shitter. There is nothing more satisfying than the look on a foreigners face when they realize you speak their language. Often times they are humbled and taken a back. It not only conveys that you are well educated, it shows a sense of respect towards their foreign culture. Even if you don't really respect them; they will likely respect you and be more likely to make a deal.

From a business standpoint it's essential. Especially for people who manage branches outside of the U.S. If you aren't willing to put the effort to understand the country you are doing business in, you can't expect to be successful in it.
>>
>>55438148
>Do you consider being multilingual a valued asset in an employee?

Only if it is likely to actually help them do their job.

Past experience and relevant qualifications matter far more than them knowing another language if they are never going to be in a position to actually use it.

>which shows motivation and skills beyond that of the guy who thinks learning anything other than English is communism?

It is supremely unlikely that the only thing that only thing that is going to differentiate two potential workers is what languages they have learnt, nor does being multilingual imply they are any more driven. They could simply have been fortunate enough to have learnt both languages whilst growing up due to parents of different nationalities.

Or, they could have indeed learnt the language later in life but I notice their surname is Kapoor and I don't want the entire office to smell like curry and excrement.
>>
You are pretty much forced to learn english in my country for some reason. Funny because in real life most people here rarely even use it.
>>
>>55440072
>>55439359
30% of the world speaks english.
2 billion people.

That's a HUGE bubble.
Larger than than any 2 other languages COMBINED.
>>
>>55438148

I think we should make English and Christianity the official language and religion of America before it's too late and everything slowly reverts to Spanish.
>>
>>55438148
American should be the universal language.
>>
I speak german, English and a little bit Polish.

my wife speaks german, English, Polish and Italian.

multilingual masterrace here
>>
>>55438148
>Do you consider being multilangual a valued asset in an employee?
Well, considering that if I was a business owner I would prefer my customers to speak English because I'm not some multiculturalist Heeb, then no. Not really.

When I visit some other country, I promise to make a reasonable effort to communicate in the common language of that culture, I don't expect them to go out of their way to accommodate my ignorance and lack of respect.

That seems pretty consistent to me.
>>
>>55440072
If I'm going to sit down and learn something that takes years of practice to do intuitively, it's going to be something that gets me better opportunities than working in customer service.

Enjoy your reaction faces.
>>
>>55440686

Again, it's not about learning the language because they don't speak yours. It's about your image. Communication is very important, if the person you are trying to make a deal with is having trouble communicating with you in English. Even if they speak and aren't fluent. Being able to speak in their language means you are willing to go the extra mile to make the deal and make them feel more comfortable. If you can appeal to their culture, even better. A little respect goes a long way in making a deal.
>>
File: 1429562112838.gif (2 MB, 243x199) Image search: [Google]
1429562112838.gif
2 MB, 243x199
>>55440686
>30% out of 100%

>3/10ths of Earth
>a huge bubble
>>
>>55441040

Being able to translate isn't going to help in customer service?
>>
>>55439517
>second language
>no benefits from knowing it

In other words, you think you should only learn one language. This is why Americans have trouble pointing out other countries on a map and this is why people call us ignorant.
>>
>>55438148
Undoubtedly. At least here in the UK. I'm currently on the job hunt and a lot of jobs are looking for people with a second language, mostly Mandarin (The UK in recent years has been increasingly doing more business with China). Those that do not specifically advertise it will often ask during the phone interview, also they often offer more money to lure foreign speaking Brits to their company. That said, most of my applications have been in either the finance or the defence industry, i doubt Tesco value it as much except perhaps for a position as a translator.

All in all it's still a good skill to have regardless of whether or not it furthers your career.
>>
>>55440735
>Official religion in America

You're killing this country.
>>
>>55441275
If you spent more time learning English, then you would have understood that I said the exact opposite of your question.
>>
>>55441350
That could've been interpreted two ways. My bad.
>>
>>55441040
> it's going to be something that gets me better opportunities than working in customer service.

You clearly work at McDonalds you ignorant pleb.

Being multilingual is almost a requirement for any kind of sales, management or marketing position in business. You literally would have a huge leg up in the competition if you spoke more than one language. But no, keep living in your limited bubble. While Huang, Pedro, Pajeet and Ahmed take the good positions because they where raised in a multilingual environment.

If you are too lazy to learn a new language; which by the way unless it's an Oriental language wouldn't take you years to learn. Then you have no place being anything more than a low wage worker.
>>
>>55441350
See what I mean? >>55441471
>>
>>55441471
>Being multilingual is almost a requirement for any kind of sales, management or marketing position in business.

I'm more of a lab guy myself, I take more pride in developing products than I do in the process of selling them. Different strokes, I suppose. You stay in your work environment, I'll stay in mine.
>>
FUCK SPANISH

German, English, Dutch, French and a I can understand Danish and Norwegian, but they usually speak English fine it has no single purpose.

I won't bother learning Spanish. It's a third world language and the people are lazy and dumb as horse shit. Worked in a tourist office for a summer job and people from Spain don't speak a single fucking word of English and if they do it's unrecognisable. They just automatically assume you speak their peasant tier language and got mad if you didn't "?Eeeeh speake spaneesh?" It was even easier to communicate with goddamn chinks.
>>
>>55438148
It should be a minimum standard for every job.
It's ridiculous that many people live in huge "multicultural" countries and still don't know shit about any other language than their own.
Typical of english speaking countries, France, Italy and Spain.
>>
>>55438148
being able to understand shit-talking is important. otherwise, no.
>>
I speak french, english and german. I could learn dutch preaty easily I guess.

Italian and russian are next
>>
>>55441634

Yeah, that's fine. I would say you would be limiting yourself to only working in environment where speaking English is the norm. It's not as necessary as someone that works in business.

I just think that people that take being multilingual as a negative are really limiting themselves. It doesn't matter what language you speak. Learning another language is very useful. Almost as important as learning how to drive in my opinion. It lets you be more independent, and opens up more opportunities.
>>
>>55441660
Foreigners speak English if their country is teaching it to them or they put the effort in learning them. There's a reason. Not saying it isn't bothersome to try to help someone who doesn't speak your language, though.

Beaner countries can be beautiful and it really isn't that hard of a language. If you want to travel there and explore someday then it's worth it. The architecture and secenery is amazing in Peru, for example.

>>55441717
>I live in a bubble
>>
>>55441695

France and Italy are catching up. Spain is still a huge problem. I like it that Portugal BTFO's Spain when it comes to education.
>>
>>55438148
I get fucking pissed when illegals come to my work and have to have their kids speak for them and the kids can't ask the right fucking questions because theyre kids. I swear to god the fact that illegals can get away with life here so easily is starting to really piss me off, and I'm really starting to drift to wanting to kick them out for taking advantage of others' good will. If you're going to come here, don't be a fucking faggot about it.
>>
>>55441781
I've got a whole different set of priorities.
While taking the effort to learn how to speak to people in different languages would be great if I had infinite time to do that, there's a whole pile of materials sitting here that I need to study.
>>
>>55441917

Yeah I perfectly understand where you are coming from. I was mostly directing what I said to people in business or jobs that require good communication.
>>
English and Spanish of course.
Some sort of East Asian language would probably to me well.
>>
Learning another language is a fun mental exercise.

There's a reason why all your rich elite people are signing up their kids in language immersion programs. It develops their minds.
>>
>>55441892

At least they are trying. We and I would add Brits are some of the worst tourists to deal with. I've visited a lot of countries and without fail; whenever it's an American or Brit they always get annoyed and talk down with people that don't speak English in the country they are touring.
>>
>>55441844
Yeah, it's shit in here. We have 4 co-official languages and english taught and people still only know (or want to use) spanish.
>>
>>55440686
And for each additional language mastered, that percentage grows.
>>
>>55438148
I don't care how many languages you can speak. If you can't speak the primary language of the country your are seeking employment in then fuck off.
>>
>>55442069

Yeah, one of the most annoying things whenever I visit Spain is having to deal with Catalans. They are like the French Canadians of Spain. I speak fluent Spanish and I know most Catalans understand me; yet they treat me like shit whenever I ask for directions or help in Barcelona.
>>
>>55440686
Not only is the global English bubble huge, it's the most highly educated and wealthy bubble. Interacting with people who don't at least speak English as a second language is interacting with plebs.

You are actually doing yourself a favor in international business by only speaking English. Because of selection bias, you will enjoy a higher probability of interacting with serious and successful professionals.
>>
If you want a job worth a shit you'll have an easier time getting it by knowing another language.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.