[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /pol/ think about this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: qo.png (34 KB, 1280x546) Image search: [Google]
qo.png
34 KB, 1280x546
Why are gender descriptive terms such as "actress" and "waitress" starting to become considered sexist, and subjective towards women?

"Words like 'actress' or 'stewardess' or 'hostess' focus on the gender of the person rather than their profession.

I would rather my job title be about what I can do, instead of about my gender.

Job descriptions and titles only require one word, and anyone who does the job (male, female, black, white, brown, tall, short, rich or poor) can be referred to by their title."

"There is no difference between a man who acts as his profession, and a woman who acts as her profession. We don't need gender specific words for cashier, or boss, or nurse, or for plenty of other professions, so there is no need for them in professions like acting, or waiting tables, or any other profession.

Even a profession where the product is directed at a particular gender doesn't rely on gender specific terms. Model works just as well for men and women, even though the products they are modelling (clothing) are usually intended for a specific gender."

"If we did this with any other profession, it would sound sexist, we're just desensitized to these particular ones.

Programmess, truckess, journaless, engineeress, musicianess, accountess, crane operatess, teachess...."

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-gender-descriptive-terms-such-as-actress-and-waitress-starting-to-become-considered-sexist-and-subjective-towards-women
>>
>>55427991
>implying there's a "software engineeress" title
>>
My fucking sides, I bet there's another group of feminists that lose their shit every time an actress is referred to as an actor. A while ago I heard a news story where, I shit you not, there was a huge controversy in France over whther to refer to the president of some organisation as 'le president' or 'la presidente ' because she's a woman but the title's masculine. Thank fucking Christ English isn't gendered.
>>
>>55427991
Quora is Reddit for people >30.
>>
Surprisingly this is the most highly voted comment there:

"I completely agree! By bringing down things to a common denominator, we are tampering with the beauty of the written/spoken word. Carrying sexism a tad too far, I must say.

I often wonder how the word "person" has escaped the eyes of people where per"son" is so sexist that it needs to become per"daughter" to restore the balance of the universe, or, at the very least be converted into "perchild" with immediate effect! And, how can "woman" remain - henceforth no man references for the ladies - yikes, did I just say "lad"ies? Revamp English, I say....now "revamp" has a nice feminine tone....I am sure everybody agrees!"

Based Bhuvi Jain
>>
>>55427991
You know what's hilarious? In Poland the feminists are pushing for the exact opposite thing, because it's sexist to only use the male form of "judge" etc. I shit you not. Of course feminists in Poland are nothing more than comic relief, but still.
>>
>>55427991

THIS >>55428661

Fucking Quora

Got out off that bitch ass websites filled with "intellectual" SJWs and moron Indians asking and answering the most useless questions.

> Be me
> Talk to a MILF hapa qt from Cali, USA
> She be flirting with me appreciating my amazing scientific answers
> One day she finds my redpilled comment on women in India
> Scolds me and throws names like a bitch she is and blocks me.
> My bluepill side is sad.
> Left Quora for good.
>>
I always avoided using gender descriptive professions because they sounded stupid.
Ahead of the PC curve here m8s.

Reminds me of the "euphemism treadmill" where polite, PC terms take on pejorative or offensive meaning after a time.
>>
>>55429970
What's the redpill on Indian women? Same as for women generally?
>>
>>55430308
I was talking about that documentary India's daughter, I was mentioning the rising false rape accusations and divorce rate increases.
>>
>>55429970
His Redpilled comment is that they, like him, fail to poo in loo.
>>
>>55427991
How do they deal with the fact that languages other than English exist? For example, in French or Russian everything has a grammatical gender. Is the fact that "fork" is female and "knife" is male sexist?
>>
>>55427991
>"Words like 'actress' or 'stewardess' or 'hostess' focus on the gender of the person rather than their profession.
No, they don't. The meaning of words is inside our heads. To me, those don't focus on gender at all.
But if you're obsessed with gender issues, I can see how you can't get over gender existing.

And what's wrong with gender existing?
>>
>>55427991
>>55433578
Great question, and yes, I've heard people say already shit like that, such as doors "portas" and chairs "cadeiras" are feminine nouns because women are like viewed like gates and things to sit upon, which is dumb as bricks, because all words with a handfull exceptions ending in a are feminine in gender...

Also, in portuguese most professions are gendered (engenheiro/engenheira lit: engineer-man/engineeer-woman) apart from a few exceptions like presidente and jornalista (journalist) since the last one already has a feminine mark by default no one complains

Fun fact: Brazil's Dilma tho, often calls herself presidenta (presidentwoman) despite being cringeworthy as fuck for any native listner and the regular word being completely gender neutral (a rarity in portuguese). People will always find dumb shit to complain about the language we speak
>>
>>55427991
English is rather gender neutral, other languages like Spanish or German have every word classified as either male or female.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.