[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is ivy a joke?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 318x159
Columbia had mattress girl.

Yale has obnoxious shouty girl.

Ivy leagues are banning feminist speakers for not supporting trans.

Ivy leagues are hosting terrorist sympathizers and Muslim fundamentalists.

Does an Ivy league education have merit anymore?

Can anyone say a degree from Columbia is meaningful after watching the culmination of mattress girl's senior thesis? (http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/04/columbias-mattress-girl-has-made-an-artistic-sex-tape/)

Is there now a perception that ivy leaguers will only be a burden to employers?
>>
>>55398617

I know a girl who went to Yale and came back suicidal. She was so happy about getting in. She takes pills now.
>>
>>55398617
You're witnessing the end of civilization. It all turns to shit. Ever heard of Sodom and Gomorrah? That's for real.
>>
>>55398617
No, the schools are still very impressive academically and people who graduate there statistically have higher paying jobs for a reason.

Academically the Ivy League schools are still great. Politically and socially, which is the problem you have with them, they've always been really liberal. This will only really matter to a conservative employer.

Also it's a bit much to judge an entire campus based on the actions of a single idiot.
>>
I thought Yale was known for "that Yale thing"
>>
>>55398617

I went to an Ivy League. I was fortunate to do really well on standardized tests and shit and probably lucked out since I went to a shit high school (btw, your high school is absolutely the number one determinant for who gets in to prestigious colleges).

Most kids I knew were pieces of shit with parents that paid 40-50k for them to go to high school. They walked in with no real merit. I am glad I went there because of the opportunities when I graduated, but it was not this bad then. I am disgusted when I see what is going on now.

I would absolutely argue that the Ivy League education is meaningless at this point. I know a ton of math/science majors from schools like Wisconsin, Ohio State, and smaller schools that could intellectually dominate those fake Ivy fucks.
>>
>>55398822
>statistically have higher paying jobs for a reason.
Confirmation bias. Graduates get higher-paying jobs because of the reputation of the schools, not because the graduates are more skilled at their jobs. Maybe some of the research programs are world class, but you're not going to make me believe that a four-year Bachelor's education makes a significant difference in most students' lives.

They're overrated, OP.
>>
>>55399110
This
>>
>>55399272
well the ivy league never was shit compared to actually top unis like Cal Tech, MIT and Stanford.
I guess Brown is still okay.
>>
Yale is Gary Trudeau's alma mater.

It was always like this, OP.
>>
File: lou-reed.jpg (3 MB, 3600x4800) Image search: [Google]
lou-reed.jpg
3 MB, 3600x4800
To give you a real answer to your question, OP, an Ivy League education is much like any other education - a social network vetting process featuring a high opportunity for absorption as compared to working at a gas station for 4 years.

Ivy League kids won't suffer from their embarrassing behavior - maybe the ones who put themselves out front will catch some backlash for being a world-class whiner, but for the most part, the Ivy League is the same old rich kids club it's always been.

Is an Ivy League education better than a "normal" education? Of course it is - your peers are more sophisticated, and the connections you make will take you through life. But as far as it being a better learning process, that is, and has always been, HIGHLY debatable.

Quality in, quality out is a good summary of the Ivy League. There are no scrubs at Harvard.
>>
>>55399480
Stanford is the Ivy of the west coast.

CalTech, Cal, Stanford, Princeton, and MIT are the best STEM schools in the country.

All sans CalTech are top-tier in the humanities as well.
>>
>>55398617
I don't necessarily expect anyone here to believe me when I write this but here goes.

So I am an executive at a major investment bank. I am one of many and I make 6 figures a year for the past 10 years. When I screen for interns and hire new people I throw out everything from ivy league schools(no memes intended). Those are people I cannot use and will never use--they are impractical. When I hire people I tend to find people that went to whatever state university. I also look for certain qualities in people. People that go to school and went to actual lectures, tend to retain more information and seem better at following directions. I also enjoy hiring men and women with families because they tend to be much much more responsible at work. Also for some reason men and women that went to school and worked part time to pay for school--they are the absolute best workers I have; they are humble, show humility, have great senses of humor, but also take their work very very serious.

I can't use most ivy leaguers, it's impractical. Occasionally I'll hire an ivy league kid as a favor to a friend but most of the time I end firing the fuck out of those kids. They party to much, they get in fights at work in suits, they fucking drink and drug like idiots--then they come in and shout anti-white rhetoric and they actually talk about social justice at work and shit... They are fucking horrendous.
>>
>>55398787
B A S E D
A
S
E
D
>>
>>55398822
This is debatable. An undergrad Ivy League education is comparable to an undergrad education at any other university in the top 100-150 is most subjects. Alumni make more because they already come from well-connected families (and make even more connections while attending).

Arguably the best place to get educated is an LAC (or a polytechnic for engineering). They are focused almost exclusively undergrad education. The Ivy League schools are ranked highly because of their endowments, high volume/quality of research papers, and massive alumni donations. Their student to faculty ratio is a plus, but many other universities have a similar ratio. None of this affects means an education at an Ivy is explicitly better.
>>
>>55399480
MIT would be an example of a university with top-tier research programs in science.

What does the Ivy League have that you can't find better or at least comparable elsewhere? Harvard has its famous law and political science schools. But what else is there really?
>>
>>55399842
i mean you might do that but a lot of the big banks actively recruit ivy students (or at least penn students)
>>
>>55400255
Princeton
>>
>>55398822
>always been liberal
just plain wrong

also there's a big difference between a university's administration, faculty, and students
>>
Keklumbia student here
finishing a combined BS-MS in electrical engineering

it's pretty shit, the only advantage is networking at career fairs. It's easy to get interviews but then after that it all comes down to your own skills and how well you do in the interview. I suspect the ivy nepotism is a much bigger factor in business/finance.

I regret not going to state school or a pure tech institute like RIT/RPI. I'm not even the stereotypical partier/druggie/SJW, I just spend most of my time in the lab with shitty H1B grad students. I never attend any of the cancerous diversity events, and in the end it's just a very average STEM education, with the occasional good professor but mostly people who can't teach. It's pretty much the same at any other school.
>>
>>55400255
well-connected alumni, professors that are the top of their fields, and the chance to make friends with people who will one day run the world
>>
>>55400474
why on earth would you go to a university for electrical engineering?
>>
>>55400262
well I don't broadcast that to many of my co-workers. I have to be smart about it. Only reason I'm talking about it now is because I'm anonymous.

I wouldn't even admit any of that shit in real life.
>>
>>55400474
and to add, it does really help to be a US citizen on line at the career fair talking to employers becuase you can tell they're sick of the endless line of smelly Indians
>>
>>55400292
As far as programs, I mean.

>>55400482
None of that is unique to the Ivy League. The only thing that stands out is the connections.
>>
>>55398617
Yales mascot is the bulldog topc.uck
>>
>>55400542
I was interested in biochemistry/pre-med out of high school and changed my mind in Freshman year. I also got a generous scholarship making it almost free to attend. (mostly due to winning awards in state science competitions when I was in HS). Then in junior year engineering programs here they offer a combined BS/MS program where I could double up on grad level courses as a senior and finish the master's this year.

I still regret not going to a polytech school but I was an ignorant shit at 18 and fell for the le prestigious ivy meme. But at this point I've learned pretty much all my practical EE skills from internships anyway
>>
>>55398617
I've heard you mostly go for the networking, not so much the education.
>>
>>55400770
but it is, though, for the same reason that top football players don't get stuck playing for the lions
>>
>>55400542
Don't you generally need to go to a 4-year college or university for engineering?

>>55400589
Memes aside, it's amazing how many fucking Indians there are. My university has a special campus for automotive research, and when I went there the first several people I saw were Indians.
>>
>>55400770
Princeton has always been the top dog in physics.
>>
>>55400262
you're right about that. I've gotten emails from Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and such just based on my GPA but I always turned them down because I'm actually interested in engineering. This is a rarity, most engineering kids here end up going to wall street or software startups
>>
>>55400292
well, princeton has the advantage of being strong in both fields, but Cambridge is still top in humanities and MIT in STEM. really it's best for people to focus on the thing they're good at, engineers dont really need literature courses and humanities students don't need advanced math
>>
>>55400953
sadly, people going to college for anything but an education are the reason college is awful
>>
>>55400968
You can find better or at least comparable programs at other place, especially STEM, is what I'm saying.
>>
>>55400983
MIT is. Then Caltech.
>>
>>55398743
Oh god, I wonder how people like this survive. Join the marines if you want to see what a hard life is.

>>55398617
No, because Ivy league students still are largely upper class white kids who get hired by companies wanting a smart, normal employee. Employers no dindus get in but look at our supreme court justice, he couldnt find a job easily despite going to Yale law because employers know his degree isnt as hard earned as a white counterpart.

The Ivy's reputation is set in stone. Harvard is always ranked #1 in the world and can literally require all men to wear dresses and they still will be considered #1.
>>
>>55401049
taking courses outside of your major gives you depth. nothing wrong with wider experience

what's cooler, an engineer who just engineers or an engineer who also knows about beckett and stockhausen?
>>
>>55399118
Ivy's are also mainly academic institutions meaning they are against job type majors like accounting, arguably the most important business related skill.

Undergrad degree doesnt prove much except that you made it through a intense sorting process saving employers the time of doing it themselves.
>>
>>55401331
Cambridge is mostly ranked 1 for the past few years, followed by oxford, then MIT. harrvard usually comes 4th
>>
>>55399842
Hey man, could you possibly give me a reference? Im a marine corps OCS grad and I can assure you Im the ideal worker you described.
>>
>>55401510
Cambridge isnt as competitive to get into and they have a weird way of splitting up the colleges. Harvard is Harvard.

My grandfather got a phd in math from cambridge though which is pretty neat
>>
>>55401829
harvard is harvard because of the Boston Brahmins pretty much. they have a top law school and a good med school, but they're hardly no.1 in the world.
>>
>>55399552

It's still the home for 'elites' but the 'elites' have changed a lot.

It isn't old money WASPs, it largely leftist jews and globalists with some Asians in the stem areas.

They take and mold kids into the kind of citizens New York jewish liberals prefer.
>>
>>55400122

Elite schools are a sorting mechanism, they put elites into contact with other elites.

The education is secondary. The key is *getting in* once in, hardly anyone flunks out. You will walk out with a gentleman's 'C' no matter what.

The key is the contacts you make and potential mates of similar class/status.
>>
>>55398617
>Does an Ivy league education have merit anymore?
MIT
That's about it, maybe Brown but I haven't heard anything out of them in about 1 1/2 years
>>
>>55402858
mit isn't ivy league
>>
>>55399110
1 in 4, maybe more
>>
>>55402858
>heard anything out of them in about 1 1/2 years

seeing this yale stuff and other assorted bullshit, that's a good thing, anon
>>
Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, and U Penn are all bretty top-tier when it comes to being a grad-student, but aren't that different from other reputable unis when it comes to the quality of their undergraduate studies. Princeton excels at both areas, so does Dartmouth -- but it isn't as gud in a lot of the same fields as Princeton, or as broad. Brown is for faggots.

~t. an anon shitposter
>>
The thing that really gets to me about this whole Yale controversy is that there wasn't even an offensive costume to talk about. A professor simply defended offensive costumes in principle, and this mob freaked the fuck out over it. Over a professor simply defending the concept of free speech IN THE ABSTRACT. The girl screamed at Christakis that he is "disgusting" and "shouldn't be able to sleep at night" because of this. The response was just so out of proportion to what actually happened, I have to think that that girl had psychological issues of some kind.

Youtube somewhat related:

https://youtu.be/rHn9TNyRwT4
>>
>>55403859
the stupidity of it is amazing. at it's everywhere now. my sister got dressed up as a squaw past february(it's when our version of halloween is) in high school and they sent her home. in fucking croatia, there aren't even any fucking native americans to offend here.
>>
>>55403820
This.

Princeton is GOAT
>>
>>55398617
>Can anyone say a degree from Columbia is meaningful after watching the culmination of mattress girl's senior thesis?

AAHAHAHAHHAHA WHAT??? THIS IS GOLDEN
>>
> go to Cornell Law
> Ithica is probably the most beautiful place on Earth
> professors based as fuck
> BLM protests never took off
> tons of interesting law reviews to write for
> great job prospects

It's pretty sweet desu senpai. My only complaint is that I couldn't bring most of my guns with me, though I'm planning on moving back South after I graduate anyway.
>>
File: cornell.jpg (115 KB, 515x192) Image search: [Google]
cornell.jpg
115 KB, 515x192
>>55404437
i can't think of cornell anymore without thinking of this guy, goddammit
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.