[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why haven't you picked up a skilled trade yet, anon? Engineers,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 13
File: Roof top condenser units.jpg (117 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
Roof top condenser units.jpg
117 KB, 768x576
Why haven't you picked up a skilled trade yet, anon?
Engineers, doctors, nurses, and other in demand fields need not respond to the question edition.

>be me, licensed journeyman electrician
>arrive at work at 6:00
>BS and drink coffee with coworkers for 30 minutes before we do anything
>tell younger helper guys what to do for the day
>look at blue prints and decide what to do myself.... working on the $3 million dollar heating and air system looks like a good task for today
>go up to the roof and drill 1 hole
>climb back down and make sure helpers aren't fucking things up and are staying busy
>climb back up to the roof, drill 3 more holes, climb back down to check on helpers and go to lunch
>return from lunch and drill one last hole, climb back down, and move a piece of conduit, and call it a day at 2:30.

So I've got to say that being an electrician isn't a bad gig at all. I got paid about $30/hour in a low cost of living area plus full benefits (disability/health/dental/eye/matching 401k/HSA/etc) to basically supervise a few helpers, drill 5 holes in sheet metal decking, and move one piece of conduit.

Are you working in a trade? If so, what is your average day like? If you aren't working in a trade or another high demand skilled area (nursing, engineering, medicine, etc), why aren't you learning a skill which is in demand and pays well?
>>
File: flips.jpg (83 KB, 960x633) Image search: [Google]
flips.jpg
83 KB, 960x633
>>55395210
>nursing

Filipinos took over nursing in most major US cities. Flips know where the money is at!
>>
Pobably should

What kind of classes do you need
>>
>>55395570
>Filipinos took over nursing in most major US cities. Flips know where the money is at!

I think they're more than happy to go anywhere they can to make money as there is no money to be made in Philippines.
>>
>>55395875
Classes aren't strictly required, but there is basically zero demand for people who have no experience in the field.

Most people who got into this trade did it by one of two paths:
1) knowing someone who got them their first job
2) attending a trade program which trained them in basic skills and them hooked them up with their first job. That's how I got into the trade. I had the chance to spend half of my junior and senior years of high school at a votech program and I chose to be trained as an electrician's apprentice.
>>
>>55395210
going to college for ENI, state certification intimidates me though. I am not sure I can force myself to memorize the entire code book, its fucking boring as shit and most of its just there to inflate property values and suck the insurance companies dick.
>>
>getting up at 6am

nope.
>>
>>55396185
He's arriving at work at 6 a.m., meaning he wakes up before that.
>>
>>55396092
You don't have to memorize the entire NEC. You'll pick up on the basics just by doing routine work and most of those are what you need to know.

There are some detailed things in the NEC that you'll need to know, but you can always look them up once you have a need to. For example, a few months ago I had to move some 480v to 277v step down transformers, but I wasn't sure how far they had to be from the walls, so I looked it up before doing the move.

Dewalt and Code Check both produce awesome guides to the NEC and building codes. I keep several of their laminated spiral bound guides in my big bag.
>>
>>55395210
We need more white trades men
>>
I'm a transport operator. Love my job.
>>
>>55396289
>>55396185

Confirmed. I got up at 4:00 today to shower, shave, and make lunch before heading to work.

Getting up early does suck a bit, but it's awesome getting off between 2:00 and 3:00. I never have to miss work for things like going to the dentist or doctor because I can just go after work. Or I can go fishing or something.
>>
I, through some divine intervention, managed to avoid entry into a humanities degree. Now the only thing left to do is seek a trade, get an entry level job or ???NEET???.

I browse STEM threads all day desu
>>
>>55395210
No OP. I'm a NEET who posts on /pol/ 12 hours a day defending the white race. Someone's got to fight the good fight.
>>
>Do desktop support for an oil company.
>My entire day consists of setting up move and keyboards. Rarely do we ever have any other calls.
>Make $20/hr starting out just to plug in fucking mice and keyboards.
>The serious work is all done after hours so lots of Overtime.
>Sometimes get sent to the oil fields, paid mileage plus drive time.

It's really not a bad job, and my company hires from within for the better positions. The higher the position the less you have to actually do, but the pay is ridiculous for the people right above me.
>>
>>55395210
So you're proud of being an unproductive shitbag? Weird
>>
>>55395210
What did you do to become a licensed electrician?
Trade school?

I have to stop being useless some day.
>>
>>55395210
>$3 million dollar

You're a retard, OP. How's it feel to be inferior to me?

>Work for 3 letter government agency
>Design and implement new methods of generating renewable energy

also I bang tons of chicks and basically you're fucking stupid
>>
>>55396378
There are very few of us at the moment. I work in Texas and probably 80% of tradesmen are Mexicans.

In the late 90s and early 2000s there were very few Mexicans dong electrical work, but a lot of them doing carpentry, roofing, flooring, etc, but that has recently changed.
>>
>>55395875
Look up your local trades school or technical school
>>
I'm 30 and just started a welding program at the local community college. I make about 20/hr doing valet now but shitty hours and no breaks.

My goal is to either work on huge skyscrapers or at a navy shipyard in San Diego.
>>
robots are gonna take all those jobs, why even bother
>>
>>55396349
>move some 480v to 277v step down transformers
480 to 277? u better check yourself anon. 480 is 2 legs of 277
>>
>>55396492
Im white I recomend all you white guys in your 20's go to a trade school
>>
Because I work like 20 hours a month and get paid 1800 a month doing what I'm doing right now.
>>
>>55396643
Yes, I got my start in trade school. The program I did cut my time to apply for my license in half (from 4 years down to 2 years full time work experience) because of taking the classes.

Trade school isn't strictly required, but it often helps you get your foot in the door. My personal experience is that the larger more professional contractors value people who went to trade school while the smaller contractors don't give a damn.
>>
>>55396643
A friend of mine just finished school to be a plumber a year ago he makes $60,000 a year now
>>
>>55396796
>480 to 277? u better check yourself anon. 480 is 2 legs of 277

Oops. I'm drinking beer at the moment and fucked up.

Yea, it was a 480 -> 208 transformer.
>>
>>55396900
This big project contracters will usually hire smaller contracters with all tthe certifications to do certain sections of the job for them
>>
>>55396739
Sorry a robot will never replace an electrical job.
>>
>>55396970
>Oops. I'm drinking beer at the moment and fucked up.Yea, it was a 480 -> 208 transformer
thanks, faith restored
>>
>>55396596
Shit, I'm at work and getting paid to shitpost, because nobody has managed to break their keyboards today.
>>
>>55396900
I work for a big electrical contractor no trade school. Hired me as a helper right away because I have experience.
>>
>>55396739
>robots are gonna take all those jobs, why even bother

I really think it would be next to impossible to replace trades like plumbers, electricians, and HVAC techs without radically altering how buildings are made.

There is so much variety and complexity in what we do that it would be impossible for a robot to replace us UNLESS all buildings are 3D printed or something.

For example, today I had to go up and down stairs about 15 times, climbed up and down a service ladder 10 times, and went up and down on a scissor lift 3 or 5 times. We don't even have robots than can climb stairs, let alone ladders, so I'm not worried about robots replacing me anytime soon.

They key thing is that most types of skilled trades work involve a lot of moving around the building all day long robots can hardly walk in a straight line on two legs at the moment.
>>
>>55396723
How can OP possibly survive knowing that there's someone that makes more money than him in the world, let alone a random claiming to on 4chan? He should probably kill himself from the shame of being so worthless and poor compared to you.
>>
>>55397120
>I work for a big electrical contractor no trade school. Hired me as a helper right away because I have experience.

Experience beats trade school without experience every single time.
>>
File: 14154909219501.png (83 KB, 264x192) Image search: [Google]
14154909219501.png
83 KB, 264x192
- shitty manual labor
- sausagefest environment
- colleagues are fucking mongrels
- waking up in the middle of the night to go to work at bullshit hours

Yeah, totally worth the 60k a year.
>>
I'm working on it, IT is practically a trade anyway.
>>
>>55397357
>OP pulling a superiority bullshit trip on poorfags
>can't into English
>I pull a superiority trip on OP, not because I care, just to show him how retarded he sounds, and because I can
>somehow this agitates your rectum

Haha.
>>
>>55397547
>works at a desk job which has been proven to statistically shorten one's lifespan
>has the constant threat of "making women feel unsafe" and other PC garbage held over him at all times
>colleagues do work that requires zero training or a few weeks worth of training at best; looks down on people who have 4-5 years of training in their field
>has to sit for hours and hours in rush hour traffic because he doesn't get off work at 2:30
>makes 30k a year
>>
I wish there was a game like student simulator
>>
>>55395210
>be road construction foreman 25/hr in rural area
>set big ass box culverts via crane today
>make sure box is pointing in right direction via transit with center-line staked out by surveyors
>use come-a-longs to pull them together
>get mad at "state inspectors" watching us all day getting in the way
>qt 3.14 20ish yr old do-nothing "engineer" bumps my transit, knocking it over
>tell her "stop wasting tax payer money and get out of my hole"
>have to reset my transit
>she leaves teary eyed
>inspectors and engineers clearly see my frustration... they all leave and get out of our way
>set 8 pieces today including wingwalls
>mfw ill get a 5k bonus after this job is done

I'd say the biggest problem with America is there are WAY too many do-nothing "watchers" and no one to do the fucking work. I swear if those fuckers hang out around me tomorrow i'm going to put a shovel in their hands.
>>
>work in a hedgefund
>arrive 9.00 in the morning
>pretend im writing a shitty MQ5 implementation. But im actually playing flash games all day.

>i cant get fired
>i dont have to do shit
>the only thing that can make me lose my job is if i commit fraud or anything else illegal.

>Get paid to play flashgames
life is good.
>>
>>55395210
Sounds to me that you don't do anything, get paid way too much for what you do, have to get up early and still work 8 hours (must be boring if all you do is menial work an idiot or a machine could do).
No thanks.
>>
>>55397962
And this is why you have mudslimes invading your country... Someone has to do the work for businesses and impregnate your women. Keep keking Sweden
>>
File: Arborist.jpg (3 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
Arborist.jpg
3 MB, 3872x2592
>>55395210
>be climbing arborist
>climb trees all day with a chainsaw cabled onto my hip
>cut shit all day
>outside all day
>/fit/
>every day is different
>workforce is 100% white males
>I called one of my coworkers a nigger and the other a faggot today, no one gave a shit

Life's good in the glorious Midwest, anons.
>>
>>55395210
>tell younger helper guys what to do for the day

because I don't want to do all the work for a lazy prick?
>>
>>55398049
>Sounds to me that you don't do anything, get paid way too much for what you do, have to get up early and still work 8 hours (must be boring if all you do is menial work an idiot or a machine could do).
>No thanks.

Nope. My work involves doing problem solving at almost every minute of the day. Do you know how many factors are involved with something as seemingly simple drilling a hole for a HVAC unit?

You just let me know what you think is involved and I'll show you how wrong you are.

Secondly, a big part of my pay grade is paying me for my experience and ability to supervise less skilled workers and enabling them to be productive.

It takes at least 4-5 years to learn the very basics of the electrical trade because there is so much variety involved. That mastery and ability to solve problems and supervise multiple helpers are what my employer is paying for.
>>
>>55397922
>I'd say the biggest problem with America is there are WAY too many do-nothing "watchers" and no one to do the fucking work.

thats a really damn true statement
>>
>>55397922

you're like the trump of road building
>>
>55398239
>outside all day
>/fit/
>every day is different
>I called one of my coworkers a nigger and the other a faggot today, no one gave a shit

This is what I like about working in the trades. Everyday is like being paid to go to the gym because we're climbing something, lifting something, kneeling and stooping, crawling through something, and basically doing anything except sitting all day.

About the nigger jokes..... We have an African American temp worker on our site who didn't show up today. After realizing that he pulled a no-show no-call for work we started a rumor that he hasn't been seen since a few coon dogs cornered him up a tree.

Trades are about the last place where a man can be a man around other men. The shit we talk about at work would get us fired in a heart beat in any warehouse, factory, or office environment.
>>
>Be electrician
>Get called in late because people don't know how to do something
>There 30 minutes
>Law requires I get paid 4 hours overtime

Feels nice.
>>
>>55398357
>because I don't want to do all the work for a lazy prick?

Well, if you had the skills necessary to run a job site and supervise lesser skilled workers, that's what you'd be doing. But if you don't have that skill, and believe me it takes years and years of experience to gain, you're going to have to do more working and less supervising if you want to have a job.
>>
>>55396492
I kek'd, heartily I may add.
>>
>>55398784
>>Be electrician
>>Get called in late because people don't know how to do something
>>There 30 minutes

Pretty much this. Being an electrician does involve doing some physical work, but it's more about being a knowledge worker at the journeyman and master levels.

Any idiot can be a secretary and almost any idiot can be a school teacher. But not any idiot can be a licensed journeyman electrician/plumber/HVAC tech/other skilled trade.
>>
>>55398769

Truth.

>worker with me today sees qt inspector
>tells me "I'd like to rip her fuckin' pants off and stick my nose right up her butt-crack"
>I say " Holy fuck mike, tell me how you REALLY feel... Let me go tell her how you feel"
>Him: "Ha..nah im just fuckin around"
>>
>>55397776
The non-pc work environment of trades is refreshing. Guys can be guys there

Nobody talks to you about glee
>>
>>55399708

>got a fresh faced recent high school graduate helper last week on our job
>only 18-19 years old and is obviously green and lacking in life experience
>we decide to fuck with him a bit and tell him at lunch time that the boss called and said he's fired because everyone thinks he's gay
>poor kid says "ok I understand" and loads everything in his car before we stop him
>>
File: 364spikeuhoh.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
364spikeuhoh.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
>grew up working at a small firm
>construction worker, drain layer, plumber, electrician, carpenter, joiner, machinist, pretty much done everything
>worked my fucking ass of alongside russians, lithuanians, polacks
>graduate and continue working for 2 years straight, one year 12 hours a day
>had lunch with a electrician working at the same site the other day
>fucker literately brags about how much he makes and how little he does
>people associate me with lazy assholes as that guy when I tell them what I do

fuck you guys
>>
>>55396723
>Design and implement new methods of generating renewable energy

Seems you suck at it
>>
>>55400503
>fucker literately brags about how much he makes and how little he does

That's basically the goal of every tradesman. In a few more years I hope to be promoted to superintended so I can tell a few good journeymen and helpers what to do and ensure they stay busy and don't fuck things up while hanging out in an air conditioned office all day.
>>
>>55396465

Can confirm that working early is god tier.

I work an office gig, but I more or less get to set my own hours. Normally I'm at work between 5:30 and 6:30, well before anybody else, and I cut out 8 hours later. Don't take a lunch because I'd rather go home early.
>>
>>55395210
I don't know how to get into it. Would love to be an electrician or welder.
>>
Trades are for rednecks and social outcasts who never shower, smell lke shit, smoke pack of cigs, drink like shit and who will have a broken back by the age of 40
>>
>>55400808
>I don't know how to get into it. Would love to be an electrician or welder.

I think welders must have certificates before they can start working. You'd want to look for a community college which offers welding certificate classes or a votech that does the same.

Electricians can either start by doing trade school or knowing someone who gets them their first job. If you don't know an electrician who can get you your first job, you'll have to go to trade school.
>>
>>55398769
>outside all day
>has a broken back
no time to eat healthy
I bet you are a skinnyfag or a fat sumo
>>
>>55396465
can't stay out later though.

i'm an electrician, sucks having to sleep before 11-12 to get good sleep before work at 7. i can just nap at work though
>>
>>55400974
Thanks for the answers --

Sorry for the stupid question what is a trade school? Like "University of Phoenix" or whatever?
>>
>$30/h

You're basically a nigger.

I actually want to live my life comfortably.
>>
>>55400880
>Trades are for rednecks and social outcasts who never shower, smell lke shit, smoke pack of cigs, drink like shit and who will have a broken back by the age of 40

Office jobs are for limp wristed faggot mama's boys who still live in their parents basement, can't get laid, and have basically no training to only a few weeks worth of training to do their jobs, yet feel superior to people who have 4-5 years training to do their jobs.

Office workers frequently cower when a more alpha construction worker shows up because they can't even change their own tire and have to call road side assistance, so they basically know that the construction worker would beat the shit out of them in front of any woman.

Office workers are more likely to die prematurely than constriction workers because they have soft pussies and sit around on their ass all day. Their hears are weak, their muscles and bones are weak, and their immune systems are weak. And all of that sitting on their asses all day guarantees they'll have cardiovascular problems while men who actually work all day have basically none.
>>
>>55401046
>Sorry for the stupid question what is a trade school? Like "University of Phoenix" or whatever?

No. University of Phoenix is a ....... university.

You want to find a place which teaches skills in things like plumbing, welding, automotive technology, cosmetology, etc. These are applied skills and places that teach them will often be called a votech, technology center, or some other similar name.
>>
>>55401134
>You're basically a nigger.
>I actually want to live my life comfortably.

You're basically ignorant of the cost of living in different areas.

I'm currently fully funding my retirement account, paying for a house on 5 acres of land, have a car and a truck, and a fishing boat on what I make.
>>
>>55400721
I want do to a bloody superb fucking job, that's what I've been thought, after all manual labor is just a big joke, to call this shit an actual job would be a lie, it's all a big playground.

I want to be able to look back at what I've done and be proud of myself, perhaps I'll never make any significant amount of money but I can at least laugh at all the incompetent people who have never done a day of honest work.
>>
>>55395210
Wall plasterer and wall painter here, OP

Is it a good trade?
>>
>>55400614
yeah lol where is it
>>
Working as a bricklayer/mason in Alberta. 30$/hr, love performing my skill, boss slings me Saturday jobs all the time where I charge what I want using his equipment. Everyone is always happy and enamored with my work and my average day is a relaxed pace listening to the radio and I cook breakfast and lunch on a camping stove everyday.

It was the best career change I ever made after bullshitting around in IT for years (lol ccna.)

I plan to use part of my inheritance to buy out the outfit when my boss hangs up his boots and takeover most of the gravy commercial contracts.

Pretty happy with life these days even when its cold outside.
>>
>>55402001
Used to work as bricklayer/mason too. We had a crew and shit.

used to be top banter.
>>
>>55401636
>I want to be able to look back at what I've done and be proud of myself

IMO, a better goal is being proud of what you helped other people do. A few weeks ago I trained two guys who had zero experience on how to bend and install conduit. I basically supervised their work, did all of the thinking for them, and enabled them to learn the basics of a new skill while avoiding doing any physical work myself.

When the shift ended, both of them were pulling people over to the spot to show off their work and were commenting on how good the conduit run looked and were generally quite proud of what they'd accomplished.

Could they have done it without me? Not a chance. Did I help them learn a new skill which will benefit them in the future? Absolutely.
>>
>>55401879
>Wall plasterer and wall painter here, OP

It's perfectly respectable work.
>>
>>55396492
Join the Airforce, and "accidentally" bomb Mecca with a nuke.
>>
>>55402070
The toppest banter all day haha. I just like being able to freely talk about whatever I want because I basically work with friends. Six pack on the ride back to town is pretty nice too
>>
File: hvac.jpg (105 KB, 391x335) Image search: [Google]
hvac.jpg
105 KB, 391x335
Just started at a small, family-owned HVAC/Plumbing company as a toolbitch.

>Make $12hr(more than fair for the amount of work that I do and my lack of experience)
>Getting stronger/healthier moving lifting shit all day
>Coworkers are totally bro-tier, basically shit-posting IRL all day everyday
>Off work early, can run errands
>Actually know how to do shit that women and office faggots can't do
>Have a sense of accomplishment every day that answering emails will never give you
>>
>>55396900
Also really really worth it if you plan on working union industrial (oil rigs, refineries, plants) because you'll get a huge raise
>>
>>55401278
>alpha worker
you mean the one who cant eat healthy, has a broken back, thus cant lift and is a skinnyfat

after you come exhausted back from work, i go to gym and am surrounded with lawyer chicks which will look down on manlet skinny construction workers
>>
>>55401623
>have a truck
rednecks everyone

so cringeworthy
>>
>>55402001
>Working as a bricklayer/mason in Alberta. 30$/hr, love performing my skill, boss slings me Saturday jobs all the time where I charge what I want using his equipment. Everyone is always happy and enamored with my work and my average day is a relaxed pace listening to the radio and I cook breakfast and lunch on a camping stove everyday.

What is it with masons and listening to talk radio all day? I know you didn't mention it, but all of the masons I've ever worked with loved their talk radio and most of them had satellite radio devices they used all day.

Is talk radio a mason thing?
>>
>>55402330

Sounds like you're on the right track. HVAC guys do very well in most of the country and after 5-7 years experience, you'll be able to write your own ticket and work when you want to.
>>
>>55395210
>Falling for the "you must get a degree to be decent human meme"

I wish I didn't
>>
>>55402093
You're right, it's just that there's so many people in these fields of work that have no interest at all in learning/working, they've just ended up here because there's nothing else they're capable of doing.
>>
>>55402613
Lol we listen to the local call in station that mostly talks politics in the morning then switch over to a rock/pop station when the daily 4hr sports segment starts.

That is kinda funny if it is a thing... I enjoy the talking points and staying up to date.

Also kinda sick of the standard classic rock all day stations at this point lol
>>
>>55402453
>you mean the one who cant eat healthy, has a broken back, thus cant lift and is a skinnyfat

Can't life what? Aren't you one of those faggots who has to call a moving company every time you move house because a sofa is too heavy for you?

Buddy, I do work all day long that exercises my core muscles and there is no way the average tradesman is skinnyfat. Have you ever stood on a ladder for 6-7 hours of the day? Do you know which muscle systems one needs to support doing this? Could you even stand on a ladder for 15 minutes without getting fatigued?

>after you come exhausted back from work, i go to gym and am surrounded with lawyer chicks which will look down on manlet skinny construction workers

They'll also dismiss you for being a soft cunt and flock to men like me when they want to be dominated and treated like women because office faggots like you are too PC and feminized to give women what they really want.
>>
>>55396816
That sounds dope. What do you do?
>>
>>55402740
>tfw I fell for the degree meme
>tfw private American university degree
>tfw $$$$$$ out the fucking window
>tfw I now work a manual labor/skilled trade job and love it

My poor parents must be ashamed, though.
>>
>>55400053
notto cool man
>>
>>55402538
>is a yuropoor
>has to ride the bus full of muslims to work because he can't afford to buy one car
>makes fun of someone who owns two cars
>>
>>55403043
>confirms that listening to talk radio is a mason thing
>>
>>55402453
I have a fully equipped home gym in the finished basement of my house. I work a heavy trade and rarely come home exhausted. I also have a gym membership so I can go with friends.

I don't judge (most) people based on their jobs, and the trades have an extremely diverse workforce, especially at the commercial or industrial level.
>>
>>55403153
Taking the piss out of people is a huge part of the culture of tradesmen. Americans generally don't know how to take the piss or handle getting it taken out of em..... but American tradesmen can banter right up there with the Aussies.
>>
File: lunchpail.jpg (119 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
lunchpail.jpg
119 KB, 1200x1200
>>55402453
>cant eat healthy
WTF are you even talking about you irrelevant faggot? I actually eat really well because I pack myself a lunch, you know, in a lunchpail, one of the iconic symbols of the trades?

>has a broken back
Maybe if you're an unsafe idiot. The guys I work with are all 60+ years old and in better shape than any office drone.

>>55402732
>Sounds like you're on the right track.
It's the best decision I've ever made. I should have done it years ago. I work with a master plumber who makes $100+hr, and has all the work he'll ever want. HVAC is even easier to get work in, in my state you don't even need certification.

>>55403141
Me too brother, I'm 40k in debt for school loans(liberal arts, yeah I know), but it is what it is. I don't think our parents know how shitty/competetive white-collar work has become. Trades are really the only choice for a smart white guy these days, if you have the skill and intelligence you'll do way better than an office drone.
>>
You sound like a lazy piece of shit who doesn't get any work done at all. What pride in your skilled trade.
>>
>>55395210
I've been looking into joining the military. I can do the fitness test barring the pushups, and I'm only just below it. I just haven't found anything with my Biology degree, I got suckered into believing there would be jobs waiting for me without having prior research done. Would doing civil engineering or electrician work get some experience for a job after I get out?
>>
Overhead line construction here.

Fucking awesome job redpilled as fuck and make mad bank. Also dat job security.
Also typical day like today

>get to work at 6:00
>do pretrip shit on trucks do stupid shit till 7:00
>MOT arrive go to gas station for a hour
>get to job at 9:00
>ask MOT to cone off my truck so they have something to do
>proceed to get poles ready for planting
>get in bucket attach power lines to winch
>have groundsmen take pole out of the ground and then drop a new one in
>laugh while i watch the foreman fuck with the groundsmen for a while
>attach powerline back to pole
>do this another few times
>send MOT home
>shitpost for another hour
>take 3 hour lunch
>go home jerk off to anime girls

I get paid 43$/hr for this shit.
>>
>>55403170
>drives shitty murrican "cars"
only white trash women fall for that stereotype, rodriguez
>>
Who /machinist/ here?

Small job shop reporting in. Less than 12 employees here.
>>
>>55395210
>get paid a lot to do really nothing
>slack
>brag about it on the internet
looks like someone never grew out of high school
>>
>>55403090
Don't kid yourself, I have very rarely seen any contruction worker or in general a tradesmen who looked in shape, you are all smelly fat/skinny slobs.

>They'll also dismiss you for being a soft cunt
That's rich coming from an murrican slob who gets clucked daily by jamal
>>
>>55403136
>doing what I'm right now
He means stealth marketing.
>>
>>55403842
>implying trades arent just a high school environment
When I worked for Pike Electric thats all that shit was. Some of the dumbest motherfuckers ive met work there.
>>
>>55403961
>That's rich coming from an murrican slob who gets clucked daily by jamal
Please, the gringos have Pedro and Martinez to worry about.
>>
>>55403679
>confirmed for not even having enough money to buy a car
>>
>Worked night shifts for 10 years
>Got fucking sick of it
>Recently got a morning job
>Get to work at 5AM
>Want to kill myself when I first get out of bed, but by 8-9AM I'm loving it
>Get off work at 12 or 1

It's pretty fuckin' neato. Working mornings is great if you can handle to early rise. It's my day off today and I slept in, got up at 5:30AM. It's really helped my sleeping patterns to, I used to be all over the joint after 10 years of night shifts. Would recommend. I literally get to work, then feed the kangaroos out the back while waiting for my coffee to be ready. Plus I get to banter with all the truckies as I unload the stock.
>>
>>55403842
He stupervises all day didn't you read
>>
>>55403842
>$30/hour
>allot

really ?
>>
>>55404110
>wishing he'd be able to have enough money to buy an european car
>>
>>55404243
>implying europoors can make good cars anymore
Fuck off m8.
>>
>>55397547
>I don't understand that my cushy desk job wouldn't exist without the infrastructure provided by tradespeople
>>
I'm a baker I think that counts right? I'm certified.
>>
OP whatd your opinion on the IBEW
>>
>>55404216
Depends on where you live, but yeah, I'd be stoked on $30hr. I also live in a city where you can buy a nice house for $60-80k. $30hr at 40 hrs a week is $4,800 a month before taxes. I could easily have a mortage of $800 a month if I wanted, leaving me with a good amount of cash left over.
>>
>>55404521

Half the appeal for my hourly wage is the fact it is what I make of it - sure, it would be 4800 if I put in the bare minimum, but pulling 50+ hour weeks reaps in the rewards.

Enjoyable work too, so I don't even mind working late/overtime.
>>
>>55403961
>Don't kid yourself, I have very rarely seen any contruction worker or in general a tradesmen who looked in shape, you are all smelly fat/skinny slobs.

That's because our work is appraised based on actual skill, which means skilled men are extremely difficult to replace and not appearance.

I can show up to work without shaving for 3 days or 3 weeks and no one will say shit to me because it would take my company 6-12 months to find an similar replacement. I can also chose not to come to work for the day or for a week with the same result -- unless I pulled such an act during one of our mission critical times, but we only have those 3-5 times per year at my current company.

Do you have the freedom to decide not to shave for 3 days or 3 weeks at your current job? Can you show up to work in jeans or refuse to tuck in your shirt without your boss jumping down your throat because you're easy to replace?

How long does it take to train someone to do your job? Would it take 4-5 years at 40+ hours a week? That's how long it took to train me and that's why I can neglect to shave, take a day off anytime I want, or come to work without my shirt being tucked in. Do you have the same freedom at work?
>>
Because I want to be a middle school teacher

No hate on tradesmen though. You guys perform very important jobs
>>
>>55404617
I know that feel Canadia bro.
>43$/hr normal
>86$/hr overtime
>126$/hr on storm team
Now granted storm team sucks fucking balls since its 12+hrs a day in the rain and wind.
>>
File: sweat.png (189 KB, 542x366) Image search: [Google]
sweat.png
189 KB, 542x366
>Work as a bookkeeper at a retail joint
>Used to be a 3 man job before most of it was automated.
>Responsibility list is the same as if 3 people do it.
>Fix broken computers and hardware, constantly fix people's time when they forget to punch in/out, order supplies for the store, make deposits daily and balance tills, write up people who fuck up with cash, research large overs and shorts with loss prevention, respond and research chargebacks, just a few of the things expected of me, on top of having to be on the floor an hour a day to help people.
>Make 10.25 an hour, 25 cents more than someone who starts
>Been there for 5 years, bookkeeping for almost 2 now.

Only reason I stick around is because it's a set schedule, and I get out at 130, but I'm fucking done with this shit. I've got enough shit to pad out a resume.
>>
>>55404502
>OP whatd your opinion on the IBEW

I think they're the best trained electricians around and also the laziest bunch of fucks I've ever met.
>>
File: 1413255279798.jpg (22 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
1413255279798.jpg
22 KB, 500x385
>>55395210
>Are you working in a trade?
Yes, started HVAC 6 months ago.

>If so, what is your average day like
Drive like 4 hours, fucking hustle, fix shit, get paid.

I'm slated to make 1.5k this week ( (I still have tomorrow to get more) and it's a fucking garbage week. Shit's off the wall entertaining too since every call is a whole new battle.

>mfw my first day the first thing the guy I'm riding with says is "We making doctor money mother fucker" and shows me his 4k a week pay stub
>>
>>55404789
I've been thinking seriously about starting an apprenticeship with them if I can't get the ball rolling with getting an IT job, i'd go back to vocational school but haven't got the money for it.
>>
>>55404216

Shit nigga it's better than 7.25
>>
>>55395210
Fuck me dead cunt I get $30 an hour for playing pokemon in a drive through bottle shop
>>
>>55404885
idk man, i make more than that and i don't even get out of my house, hell i don't even neet to use my laptop
>inb4 professional cock sucker
>>
>>55395210
Mexican here
I make about 6k a week depending on the jobs i get doing concrete, just me and 4 more guys
>>
>>55404968
$30/hr here is quite a bit different than $30/hr in australia, median wage is at a bit over $20/hr
>>
>>55405006
How tight is your boipussy m8?
>>
>spend years learning to weld
>end up getting some odd lateral promotions when just starting out in the patch
>end up getting promoted from there
>end up moving to a plan
>do firewatch in plant
>job is completely superfluous as anything I'd have to call in would instantly kill me and many others
>get replaced by small device
>end up co-coordinating regional firewatch for my company
>literally nap in my truck in between playing portable roguelikes and deciding where else to nap
>paid like a doctor to make a few radio checks
>>
>>55404776
Sounds like a shit job, man.

I started out doing electrical work in 1999 and was paid 150% of minimum wage at that time for zero experience.

It seems that you have quite a bit of experience and are currently earning 141% of the minimum wage.
>>
>>55405063
Yeah, when you put it like that
>>
>>55404754
Nugger thats near 1.5k a day
>>
>>55402732
>HVAC guys do very well in most of the country and after 5-7 years experience, you'll be able to write your own ticket and work when you want to.
You can do that as soon as you leave helper mode, I got mad at my first shop and found a shop offering me basically double the same fucking day I decided to look for a new shop. It's crazy how easy it is to move around once a shop knows you can run any type of call solo.

>>55403496
>in my state you don't even need certification.
You sure about that? Every state requires your 608 to handle gas, you can get around it easy though.
>>
>>55404869
>I've been thinking seriously about starting an apprenticeship with them if I can't get the ball rolling with getting an IT job, i'd go back to vocational school but haven't got the money for it.

If unions are a thing in your area, I'd recommend it. If you're from a non-union area, I wouldn't recommend it.

Think of the IBEW as a temp service who sends men out in response to calls from employers. You'll face lay offs pretty often. Private employers usually don't treat their employees this way unless they really dislike them or all of their work dries up.
>>
>>55405092
i assume its really tight as its never been used (beside for taking dumps)
how about yours ?
>>
>>55398769
Truth, I say nigger around literally everyone and everyone usually responds with "Yeah, fuck the blacks." I've never been chewed out for calling someone a faggot or nigger and I am very liberal with that shit.
>>
>>55405154
Yup. Ive made 23k when that noreastern hit last winter. Granted im a Floridian and I almost turned into a Popsicle. But it was totally worth it.

>>55405381
Super tight m8. I just plow it thats all.
>>
>>55398784
God bless the union
>>
>>55405298
I think the IBEW chapter here is unionized but I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
>>
>>55405627
>I think the IBEW chapter here is unionized but I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

IBEW is the electrician's union, so all of the IBEW chapters are unionized.
>>
>>55405754
Ah ok then.
>>
File: 1420871945671.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1420871945671.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>inb4 Swiss mountain jews

Besides for the Swatch Group jewery, watchmaking is a pretty cool trade.
>>
>>55405754
Local 291 reporting
>>
File: 1447145789000.jpg (159 KB, 500x409) Image search: [Google]
1447145789000.jpg
159 KB, 500x409
I'm stuck wanting to be a Carpenter (currently in the apprenticeship) but keep thinking about switching to electrician or welder.

I think the startup costs for welder is higher and thus I'm leaning more towards electrician. I really do want to be a carpenter but I've noticed illegals have really infested the field and the old timers are constantly warning me about staying with carpentry is most likely a death wish at this rate.

Any trade anons willing to give me some advice?
>>
All tradesmen I know stink like cigarettes, have ignorant opinions and they all seem to have back issues at age 45.
I'd much rather be a working class white collar worker than a stinky working class man that speaks with a drawl, spends all his money on nonsense and has back problems.

I'm an assistant commercial underwriter for BBVA, currently making $37k a year. I can make up to $60k once I become a senior underwriter and move anywhere else I want within the company.
>>
>>55406309
I work in Texas and my experience is that about 80% of electricians are Mexicans. I don't know about carpenters, but I'd guess that 95% of them are Mexicans.
>>
>>55406586
>I'd much rather be a working class white collar worker than a stinky working class man that speaks with a drawl, spends all his money on nonsense and has back problems.

You're quite the classist there with your assumptions.

>I'm an assistant commercial underwriter for BBVA, currently making $37k a year.

Enjoy your life of poverty. My first year apprentices who have zero experience earn the same wage you're currently getting.
>>
>>55405255
>You sure about that? Every state requires your 608 to handle gas, you can get around it easy though.

I'm probably wrong. I think you don't have to have a ton of schooling to do HVAC, but you do with plumbing, is that correct? That's my shitty understanding with a month of experience. I'm in PA. I thought that lots of guys(journeymen) work under someone else's(master plumber) cert, is that right?
>>
>>55401046

Look at community colleges, they usually have trade programs.
>>
I've spent 13 god damn years getting marginally decent at writing comic books. I refuse to spend any more time developing any other skill. It's this or skid row, no other option.
>>
>>55406309
Carpentry is only good once you really prove yourself, it's fucking rough otherwise. Plumber, electrician, and hvac are the big guys right now. Unions pay like garbage at the start though.

I really think you should stick with carpentry if you like it though, it's better to have a trade you honestly like and suffer through a few years of low wages than get paid more early on but hate your trade.
>>
>>55407081
>I'm probably wrong.
You are, you technically need your EPA cert.

>I think you don't have to have a ton of schooling to do HVAC
I have none.

>but you do with plumbing, is that correct?
Nah, same deal.

>I'm in PA. I thought that lots of guys(journeymen) work under someone else's(master plumber) cert, is that right?
When it comes to just business wise you only need one cert holder so yeah, shit's so lax there is a set going rate for renting certs though (it's 500 bucks a month). HVAC is the same way though in basically every state where someone needs to hold an air cert in the company.

That EPA shit is a federal regulation though, gotta have that 608.
>>
File: atwork.gif (121 KB, 400x455) Image search: [Google]
atwork.gif
121 KB, 400x455
>>55395210
>be me, back when I was 19
>tried to get a job as an electrician
>had to take a two hour long test with an auditorium full of other applicants
>didn't get the job
>not too heartbroken, there was a lot of people applying for a small amount of jobs
>two years later, some kid I went to highschool with, father is a journeyman in their union
>he gets the jobs without having to take the test or go through the interview process
>have to spend the next decade hearing about how cronyistic capitalism is and how unions are the answer
>became rich playing the stock market
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.