[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>3rd year computer science student with concentration in audio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10
File: 1445705519872.gif (3 MB, 220x212) Image search: [Google]
1445705519872.gif
3 MB, 220x212
>3rd year computer science student with concentration in audio engineering
>have played violin for 19 years (am 24)
>university offers me a grant totaling roughly 80% of my tuition if I do monthly performances in the campus theater and give them 75% of admission
>a board member for the Toronto Symphony Orchestra saw my performance in October and wants to give me a position as violinist
>8 year contract, guaranteed $45,000 a year
>my pre-degree credits expire in six years

What would you do, /pol/? I can get into hard science and either make more or less depending on how saturated the industry is (I have no clue), or guaranteed good money for nearly a decade. I have until January 1st, I can't delay it until I finish my studies and by the time my contract is up, I'll need to restart my degree.
>>
tl;dr: career in arts related field or career in STEM related field?
>>
I'm pretty sure the University will give you some wiggle room on when you finish your degree if you talk to them. I'm assuming it's four years?
>>
You've a better chance playing the violin, I reckon.
I'd say do what makes you happier, but that's an empty platitude.
Ask for some lenience, I mean, they're offering you this position, right?
>>
File: top kek.jpg (103 KB, 838x600) Image search: [Google]
top kek.jpg
103 KB, 838x600
>>55381776
>have played violin for 19 years
learn to play bass guitar or the drums you fucking homo
>>
>>55381848
By the way I'm advising you to take the Orchestra position. Whatever degree you get, you'll be flooded with monkeys working for peanuts thanks to Prime Minister Dude Weed LMAO. I'd try to finish your degree so that you don't feel the first two years were wasted, but if you don't care about that, just bin it. Computer science depends more on experience than teaching anyway.
>>
>>55381894

The TSO is, yes. Unaffiliated with my university. I've spoken to my student adviser and they're getting back to me sometime this week but the tentative answer is university policy can't be changed to accommodate.
>>
>>55381923

That's true. You can find work in the field if you don't even have a degree.
>>
>>55381912
Yes, because that will definitely get you a contract worth 45k a year. And why bass? Do you want to be the leper of the band? Shit, groupies get more respect on average.
>>
>>55381776
Go for the sure thing. Trust me
>>
A job now is better than a maybe job later in today economy.

Finish the degree when you manage.
>>
>>55382105

I just don't know how much bullshit my faculty co-ordinator told us all during orientation. I was personally told that my career path is easily $60k starting, and audio engineers are in high demand with varied positions available.

I can't tell how much was "lets make the university/program look good" and how much was "you made the right choice, this is what to expect".
>>
>>55381776
If you're that good, go for the arts. If you can play orchestra you have job security. STEM is ebb and flow.

There will always be enough wealth at the top to maintain fine arts performances.
>>
>>55381776
>computer science
>audio engineering

Good luck making 45k a year with those specs senpai. College system cranks out trillions of computer science autists every year. The industry is SATURATED AS FUCK.

Playing in the Orchestra is alpha and poetic. Fucking do it.
>>
>>55381776
finish the degree up doing part time college while doing that job

if the 4th year takes 2 or 3 years to complete not a big deal no rush
>>
File: Stanley_Clarke.jpg (33 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Stanley_Clarke.jpg
33 KB, 300x300
>>55382082
>why bass?
pic related
>>
>>55382304
this sounds good, how many hours do you have to work in the orchestra ?
>>
>>55381912
>play drums, that will make you money! Everybody loves the drummer!
>>
>>55381776
Violin you fucking pussy. There are people who would kill for that chance.

Pic related. If you aren't a supreme gentleman like me and watch Chinese cartoons about middle school girls who become magical girls and fight witches, let me fill you in. See that nigga holding the violin? He was a violin prodigy until an accident fucked up his hand. He went all depressed and shit until his kawaii girlfriend made a wish to fix his hand in exchange for becoming a magical girl. Long story short the little nigga went on to become a great violin player.
>>
File: 1443407372032.jpg (17 KB, 187x204) Image search: [Google]
1443407372032.jpg
17 KB, 187x204
>>55382292
>mfw seeing my rare colony flag
>>
File: me.jpg (50 KB, 499x488) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
50 KB, 499x488
>>55381776

It is an exceptionally rare opportunity to be paid and especially to be paid well to perform classical music.

Even more so in your case to have such good job security.

I can't think of many worse opportunities to pass up OP.
>>
>>55381776
>Computer Science
Have you gotten to the point you could lean anything on your own yet? At some point you should realize you have the basics and can find on the internet anything you need to figure out whatever you want to know.

Take the Orchestra job. Create a program on the side where you can practice your development skills. Find projects that will be helpful to people and do them in your free time. Those projects will say more about your skills than any degree will and get you a job easier if you should ever want to change careers.
>>
>>55382292
>Playing in the Orchestra is alpha and poetic. Fucking do it.

This.
>>
>>55382292
What my caribbean brethren said, join the Orchestra.
>>
>>55381776
Why can't you do both, are you a dumb nigger anon?
>>
>>55381776
Play the violin, you won't be rich but you'll be well off and happy perpetually.
>>
>>55381776
Save 50% of your earnings in the Orchestra, wire them to a separate savings account.
After the shindig is over, you'll have enough money left to get back into society without trouble
>>
>>55382304
rolling for this
>>
>>55382201
Ask for 52k. Make them meet you halfway
>>
>>55381776
Couldn't you just finish your degree part time? If you've only got a year of classes left it shouldn't be too bad
>>
>>55381776

You could switch to part time and get your degree while working. It will just take longer.
>>
File: scaryshit.jpg (23 KB, 340x321) Image search: [Google]
scaryshit.jpg
23 KB, 340x321
>>55381776
WHEN A DOOR OPENS GO THROUGH
MY GF IS DOING HER DMA IN VIOLIN RIGHT NOW AND SHE WOULD KILL YOU IF SHE FOUND OUT YOUR SITUATION
>>
>>55381776
>>8 year contract, guaranteed $45,000 a year
good pay if you want to live in a village in kenya
>>
violin obviously

do both if you can
>>
>>55381776
>>university offers me a grant totaling roughly 80% of my tuition if I do monthly performances in the campus theater and give them 75% of admission

Need anymore evidence that jews run the university systems?
>>
>>55382082
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g68hQ4zJ3t0&list=PLH22-xSMERQpG4M9HshhXUJ9OKMNlwU8T&index=10

When you hear it, you'll understand.
>>
>>55381776
I would go for the violinist position. You get to do something amazing that few get to experience. And if you've studied enough audio engineering that you know your way around a mixing console, you can make connections and find work easily in recording.
>>
File: 1441818558932.jpg (391 KB, 1360x2040) Image search: [Google]
1441818558932.jpg
391 KB, 1360x2040
>>55381776

45k isn't that much tbhf. Especially in Toronto.

You can do better. Finish your degree.
>>
>>55381776
Can you part time the last year?
>>
>>55384488

Tickets $10, I think my highest attendance was 90 people including music students who get in for free. $6,000 a year upfront and $200~ a month for me is worth the $600~ I make my university a month.
>>
File: IMG_20151028_155015.jpg (961 KB, 1536x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151028_155015.jpg
961 KB, 1536x1536
>>55381776
hey OP,

I played violin for 9 years, did sketch/concept art for over 20 years and have been writing music for 10 years.

I was really close to going to art school, but instead went into comp science.

I'm 26 and make over $50/hr and can bill my own time (can take days off whenever). Sleep in etc. I just went in to the office, its 11am.

I now do music and art as full time hobbies.

Be careful, playing violin for your income might make you resent it.

pic related - sketch I did while bored at work.
>>
>>55381776
If you have to live in Toronto for this job, 45K doesn't seem like much. Hopefully you can find someplace cheap to live and commute and maybe work on your degree somewhere when you're not working.

I don't know anything about music but Toronto Symphony Orchestra sounds bretty based bro, I'd go for it.
>>
Something you may not have even considered: The best kind of girls are into the Violin.

You can go out with a tumblr dyke that is into music played on the tampon, or an off the shelf scank that is into whatever is popular at the time, or a smelly unshaven girl that listens to prog-rock.

Or, you could continue with the Violin shit and get a qt viola playing gf in that Orchestra of yours.
>>
>>55385399

I don't live in Toronto, I'd have to move. Maybe I can transfer to UofT and finish my degree part time, I don't see being part of a symphony being that demanding on my time, even if I take one credit a year I can still finish in a couple years.
>>
>>55381776
Can't you do both? Get your degree and also play the violin.

Congrats anyway, you have a good thing going.
>>
>>55381912
>string and percussion instruments
Might aswell put on a tiger skin loincloth and bang a club against a wall.
>>
>>55381776
If you have the skills to be a violinist, do that. You obviously have what it takes to make the cut, so follow that path. Computer science, among many other degrees, is for people who have no other talents.
>>
I would take the orchestra position. You're only 24 - if you keep honing your skills you may be able to be concertmaster at some point and they make 100k+ a year. Also you can charge out the ass for lessons.
>>
>>55381776
do the violin. If you do hard science you won't earn close to that
>>
Violin
>>
>>55381776
You'll make more money in tech, especially if you move to America. But I think being a violinist would be more fun. Just finish your degree part time, you can take one class that is easy each semester and quietly coast to a degree

The tech industry will always be there, you can always take a month of self study to get up to speed. I would do the music gig unless you are in a dire financial situation.
>>
>>55381776

>45k a year
>guaranteed good money

no offense OP but that's a shit deal. 45k wouldnt be horrible as a starting salary, but 45k a year for EIGHT years? your earning power would be exponentially higher as an engineer with 8 years of experience.

of course if other performance opportunities arise while you play for more cash, or you just really love playing, then that's another story. but if your motive is "safe money", then...definitely a shit deal.
>>
>>55386567
Also >>55382201
>audio engineering
>in CANADA
>good money
Lol no. I have friends in that industry in NYC/Boston, it's shit and they went to 30+ act schools
>>
>computer science
>hard science

Pick one
>>
>>55381776
>asking /pol/ for advice
Really?

Nice bait.
>>
>>55386983
/pol/ is the best place to go for advice on high culture. After a hard day of beating up communists we like to relax with a nice opera.
>>
>>55386748
this.

plus, can you imagine being surrounded by all those music types?
>>
>>55385139
This would look good on a t-shirt tbqh senpai
>>
45k/year in Toronto is bad, isn't it?
>>
>>55381776
45K? That's all?sad.
>>
>>55381776

I always wondered what professional orchestra members made.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.