[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Healthcare in America.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: IMAG1968.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1968.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
Help me out ameribros.

How does America spend more per capita for healthcare than any other country yet it has trouble providing universal health care?

Is there a catch to the universal health care seen in European countries? Or is there a catch to America spending more than any other country towards Healthcare?

On top of that it seems that even if you try to pay for treatment out of your own pocket, it's way more expensive in America to get treatment than to get an equivalent one in Europe.

Basically I'm just looking for an explanation.

Pic mostly unrelated.
>>
>>55330078
Capitalism
>>
>>55330209
/thread

monopoly = amerikeks getting fucked in the ass
>>
>>55330078
Many of our doctors are millionaires, and many of our hospitals are profitable corporations.
>>
>>55330209
I'm gonna need an elaboration, anon.

Scandinavia is a mostly free market economy as well (just with more comprehensive government safety nets). But it has universal health care.
>>
>>55330307
People want to be as greedy as possible and a lot of 1% people would suddenly be out of a job if we switched to single payer. So they lobby and do pretty much everything possible to make the most logical decision look like the most evil decision.
>>
OP compare usa to japan on healthcare. key = technologies.
>>
>>55330078

Because the industry is regulated to such an extent that it may as well be single-payer. Roughly half of that healthcare spending is done by the government, so it's no surprise that the industry caters to them instead of consumers.
>>
>>55330078
When you say 'healthcare', what is that word 'care'? Is it like, oh, we love you, we care about you? No, that's insidious because it's insurance. It's a fucking bank account, asshole. There's no sentiment in business. This is capitalism, we do it for profit here, don't believe it if anyone tells you otherwise.
>>
>>55330623
When I say Healthcare I'm just using its meaning as understood by most people.

Having access to health insurance without getting bankrupt when you get something nasty. Or be left to choose bankruptcy or continued illness.

I'm really simply trying to understand how Europe provides for health services for its citizens while America can fail to do so despite paying more per capita.
>>
>>55330078
>Basically I'm just looking for an explanation.
In the mid 1980's lawyers, insurance policy writers and doctors formed corporations. They tilted the entire playing field toward themselves.

Doctors knew all the scams, lawyers and insurance underwriters knew how to spin it where they made more than hospitals.
>>
The jews have convinced white right wing people that they souldn't provide free healthcare to other white people.
>>
>>55330078

On one hand, we have some of the most advanced medical training and technology worldwide. On the other hand, inefficiencies, straight up corporate greed, profiteering, out of control malpractice premiums, and regulations that encourage all of this BS run rampant.

It won't happen, but killing off Federal Medicare / Medicaid and maybe just having a state run NHS (with some limited federal oversight enforcing minimum standards) would probably go pretty far.

Old people would get their drugs, little kids their vaccines, and people wouldn't have to worry about paying 20% of their income for a health plan that hardly pays for anything (Thanks ACA!)
>>
>>55330828
>what is quality

If you have the money (or insurance) you can get whatever you need on demand. The US has some of the best healthcare in the world in terms of quality, it's just very expensive.

With universal healthcare, having a shortage of doctors/physicians may be a problem and there tends to be a waiting line of months to get simple a simple surgery or an MRI.

Single-payer system is very efficient, the problem is that you would piss off a lot of corporations in the US.
>>
>>55330078
Once the government started paying for health care, the cost started going up. It was no longer supply and demand. It became demand, funded by a bottomless pocket. Doctors used to have to hustle to make money. House calls were the norm. But with uncle sam paying it allowed doctors to sit in a office and employ a staff to get government money. Soon every old person was eligiable for hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical procedures. And the bills got paid. Bills were even paid for services not provided.
>>
>>55331830
>Single-payer system is very efficient,

Yes, Medicare is wonderfully efficient.
>>
Insurance is "mandatory." Not everyone pays.
>>
>>55330078
>>55331018
It's been spiraling up since the 1950's between the lawyers, the doctors, and the government.

The shadiest of shit right now is when common stuff like bags of saline and generic medicines get locked into a byzantine bureaucracy and somehow increase in price by two thousand percent.

I'd like to see a president or senate leader levy a credible threat of price controls on the healthcare industry if the market won't accept transparency or apply cost-cutting. But no, we're probably just going to export our big pharma model via TPP and tariff the fuck out of Indian generics soon after.
>>
>>55330078
The catch is that the healthcare is so shit that rich people willingly pay money for private healthcare.

Instead of employed people spending a small amount of money for good healthcare, they spend s large amount of money for everyone to have shitty healthcare... Including the Tyrones, Shaniquas, And all 4 generations of the Juarez family.
>>
There's a reason why global leaders will come to the states to get treated.
>>
>Is there a catch to the universal health care seen in European countries?

YES. As an American living in Sweden who used to work in the medical field back home and has experienced it first hand HOLY FUCK there is a difference.

I would gladly fork over my money to insurance to go be comfy with competent doctors at Cedars Sinai or UCLA Medical Center and not have to deal with the absolute total shithole of a medical system they have here.

>Went to the ER with a broken leg, turned away because "we don't do ortho here, you have to go to the next town over".
>Take taxi to next town
>Wait 9 hours. Not a joke, not an exaggeration. Literally nine hours in an empty ER waiting room only to be led to a room that looked like the Soviets hired the Chinese to build.
>Wait another two hours to be told "yep its a broken leg, lets get a cast on".
>They put the cast on wrong. I tell them this (I was a paramedic back home for about 5 years).
>Doctor looks at it and says, "Yeah the angle of the foot is wrong, but that's ok, just come back in a week and we'll do it over".
>Get sent home
>Continue paying 35% income tax and 25% sales tax
>Thank you "free" medical care

This is what happens when doctors and hospitals don't compete for business. God I can't wait to leave this piece of shit.
>>
File: community_image_1372574397.jpg (57 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1372574397.jpg
57 KB, 512x512
>>55330209
>>
>>55333579

Can't you sue the shit out of them for malpractice at least? I know that's an issue here in the states because people are always looking to make a quick buck if they can, but that's some bullshit.
>>
>>55333579
I knew a Swedish girl who went to the hospital 3 times with severe abdominal pain before they finally gave in and took her appendix out

They literally gave her IV morphine and waited till the swelling subsided, If only people really knew the horror of free health care
>>
File: 1393308817880.png (130 KB, 1134x1357) Image search: [Google]
1393308817880.png
130 KB, 1134x1357
>>55330209
Pic related.
>>55330448
If the government stopped trying to guarantee people would be able to get ridiculously expensive meds, maybe companies wouldn't charge orders of magnitude more than they do in other countries.
>>
>>55333579
Yes. Im aware that American healthcare if better if have the insurance/can pay for it

So do you think America can (or any other country) have insurance easily accessible and have health services readily available. Best of both worlds, basically.

I'm a foreigner in America. I lived in Denmark, Malaysia and Turkey (I'm Turkish)

But I was never aware of how Healthcare systems functioned out of Turkey because my government just paid for my health needs abroad, so I never dealt with insurance. I do however remember Denmark being inefficient (I lived there very long ago). I went to a public hospital to get an x-ray scan and had to wait a good hour or two for a 5 minute procedure. After than I just went to this private clinic.

Turkey's Healthcare hasn't been a problem for me either. I had, relatively speaking, a very cheap insurance plan that covered just about anything. And hospitals were able to provide services to me almost instantly. But that's my experience. A friend of mine in Turkey had to switch three hospitals to deal with a stomach poisoning of some sort.
>>
>>55330078

Dunno for sure, but the more people need healthcare, the more expensiver it gets. Supply & Demand right?

36% of US population are fat while europe is at 21%

By 2020 you guys may actually reach 40% easily.
>>
>>55330078

well Merica spends about 90 percent of your entire life's care on your final few months of life. Meaning money down the drain to keep you barely alive.

Second, the AMA artificially creates barriers to entry upon the medical field (to increase job security and keep prices high)

Lastly, I'd be willing to bet we spend more per capita on basically everything (internet comes to mind), throwing your comparative statistics right into Dr. Penn Jillette's trash bin

P.S - we do have free healthcare for tons of old and poor people (medicare/Medicaid). That further increases the price for everyone coming out of pocket. Additionally, every single hospital that isn't completely privately funded, wait for it, LEGALLY CANNOT TURN YOU AWAY FOR ANY REASON. Yes, you can walk into any ER with "chest pain" or some other obscure ailment and walk out with pills of some sort.
>>
>>55330078
Because we pay 4x as much for most medical care because for every one insured hospital visit there's 3 niggers or illegals
>>
>>55334321
I know hospitals cannot refuse you treatment.

But if I were to be treated in a private hospital under an emergency (let's say my appendix needed to be removed) wouldn't I wake up the next day with a huge bill? Or is there something else?
>>
mostly due to stockholm syndrome
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.