[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you consider being multilangual a valued asset in an employee?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1430098117424.jpg (192 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1430098117424.jpg
192 KB, 1600x1200
Do you consider being multilangual a valued asset in an employee?

We live surrounded by a bunch of beaner countries but don't know their language.
>>
I consider multilingual accomplishments to be necessarily within the gentleman's repertiore.

*tips fedora

for real tho, it's useful to speak spanish in the States
>>
>>55325889

It is useful, but I'll be happy regardless of language. It's a mark of intelligence. *tips my plethora of fedoras
>>
Why would you hire someone who doesn't speak a second language? It's like someone who doesn't understand math. It doesn't show motivation when you say you've never bothered learning a second language. It doesn't show intelligence when you say that English is your only language and you don't know the names of half the countries on Europe.
>>
My brother-in-law's step son is 6 years old. They sent a coloring assignment home with him the other day, and I help him with his homework sometimes. The words were in Spanish, colors, and he had to color in the leaves according to the names. What weirded me out was, he can't even read English colors yet. This is in CT. I think our schools are a little off in their priorities. I'm all for our children learning other languages, but this seemed a little too early, like they're purposefully diluting his teaching in order to put him in the same boat as all the illegal little cunts and assholes who refuse to assimilate.
>>
>>55326791

No, they just don't expect a 6-year-old to be too retarded to know basic English colors. What kid doesn't know Red Orange Yellow Blue Indigo and Violet by that age?
>>
>>55327098
One with extra chromosomes
>>
>>55326791

>6 year old
>doesn't know English color names

No, retard, there is no conspiracy. That kid is just dumb as all hell.
>>
>>55327098
He's not that smart, just like his mother, who I'm not too fond of myself. Which is why I try to help him with his homework. While I was reading by 3, most people this day and age don't really start until 4 or 5. He's only been in the first grade since September.
>>
In Canada yes. I have to use English and French on a daily basis. Don't let this happen to you America, remember to register Republican and vote Trump in the primaries and in the general.
>>
http://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/first-grade-reading/

This is what we're dealing with in the States today. If this kid were mine, he wouldn't be in this predicament, but I don't have that much time with him as it is. My daughter is one now, and I'll be spending quite a bit of time with her on reading before school starts.
>>
>>55327361
And yet you came to the conclusion that the school doesn't have it's priorities straight.

There is no excuse for a 6-year-old not knowing his colors. Those parents must be doing something wrong. If you're helping this kid, hopefully you are instilling some knowledge in him that the school is assuming he has (which is why they aren't going to teach him basic colors in class) and that his parents don't want to put the effort in doing.
>>
>>55325733
>Do you consider being multilangual a valued asset in an employee?

Yes.

I'm actually a hotel manager in Texas. Knowing Spanish means I'll put you at the top of the list for front desk jobs, because we get a fuckload of tourists from Mexico (like a solid 30% of our guests, and we're nowhere near the border). I've been learning Spanish on Duolingo as well, because it's so fucking useful in my industry.

That being said, I'm the only one of the property that makes middle-class money. Our head maintenance guy makes $18/hour, and he's the second highest paid guy, and then the housekeeping manager is at $13, and everybody else is between $7.75 and $8.50. It's not the kind of job you go out and learn Spanish for.
>>
>>55327361
>While I was reading by 3, most people this day and age don't really start until 4 or 5.

Not really the case, anon.

I think your brother and his wife just didn't raise him to read. Good thing you're helping him at home, or else he'd end up like Tyrone and Laqueisha.
>>
>>55327619
Yeah, I think the school should recognize that a student isn't learning English first, and not try to teach him Spanish at the same damn time. First grade is too young to be learning foreign languages.
>>
>>55328179

They're not going to slow the class down for that child. If he doesn't know colors by then, that's a different matter entirely. He probably needs an individualized education plan.
>>
>>55328611
I suspect they haven't taught him colors in English. I suspect they are trying to teach him both Spanish and English simultaneously so that he is in the same boat as all the other little shits whose parents speak Spanish exclusively at home. Disadvantaged. Studies show that bilingual studies at this age create huge problems down the line. While knowing multiple languages as a teenager is great, without a solid foundation in only one language there will be unnecessary roadblocks in the future.
>>
>>55328179
>First grade is too young to be learning foreign languages.

Again, Texasbro here.

More and more school districts down here are teaching both languages at a very young age. It's much more effective than starting them out in high school. My niece, who's 14, is pretty much fluent in Spanish, and neither of her parents speak Spanish. It's a definite bonus to put on a resume.
>>
File: Tex.jpg (141 KB, 1014x788) Image search: [Google]
Tex.jpg
141 KB, 1014x788
>>55325733
Yes, Texas born and raised, descended from "legal" Mexican Immigrants. Fluent in English and Spanish, some Vietnamese. There were no beaners when I went to school, but my parents taught me Spanish at home. Now they have ESL classes...
>>
>>55325733

>2015
>not speaking 5 languages

Back to school plebs. Oh wait, college aint free over there.
>>
>>55325733
I speak Spanish and German but I never use them outside of home and /int/ respectively. Next semester I'll be learning another useless language, French. No, not at all useful, but a lot of fun in my opinion.
>>
>>55325733
It looks great on a resume. What language do you want to learn and why haven't you started?
>>
>>55325733
Being multilingual is an asset in any person, I can't think of any reason off the top of my head why being able to communicate in multiple languages would be a bad thing.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.