[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he right? Is the death penalty unconstitutional?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: 1436351211826.png (21 KB, 288x303) Image search: [Google]
1436351211826.png
21 KB, 288x303
Is he right? Is the death penalty unconstitutional?
>>
>>55320715
Literally who?
>>
>wahhh it takes too long and costs too much
>blocks firing squad from being used
Liberals
>>
>>55320715
depends if you think it's cruel and unusual punishment
>>
criminals piss on the constitution so society pisses on them
>>
>>55320715
Who?.
>>
The problem with the death penalty is that far too many innocents are convicted of cries the didn't commit, and lose their lives because of a legal system fuck up. Until the courts become 100 percent accurate in their convictions, the death penalty should not be allowed.
>>
>>55320715
Technically leaving someone to rot in prison is less constitutional than killing a murderer.
>>
>>55320715
No, the death penalty is one of the greatest perks of American society. Americans kill off their trash while we pay to keep ours locked up forever.
>>
>right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

>right to life

death penalty is unconstitutional. dill w/it
>>
I don't know abut unconstitutional. But the government shouldn't be allowed to legally kill it's citizens no matter what crime they've committed.
>>
>>55321063

*cannot be revoked without due process of law.
>>
>>55321063
Then why can cops use lethal force?
Checkmate pro-lifers
>>
>>55320989
if there's conclusive evidence, like a video of someone murdering another person then I think they should get the death penalty

>>55321063
>>55321083
>criminals are citizens

actually you know what... instead of the death penalty just kick them out of the country

send them to africa or something
>>
>>55320715

>be a murderer
>don't care about ANY rights of your victim when you murder them horrendously
>liberals defend you and say your rights matter over your punishment
>leftists will defend this autism

Who cares. There honestly should be the death penalty for lessor crimes or repeat offenses.
The justice system is set up now to keep people tied up in it when in actuality It should make you afraid of breaking the law to begin with.
>>
>>55320715
Yes but so is life in solitary confinement, i think there are a lot of people in prison who want to die desu
>>
>>55320715
No what he meant to say is "we need to keep this criminals alive to use them as slaves for labor and make lots of profit"
>>
>>55320715

No

Source: The supreme court who decides such things.
>>
>>55320715
The death penalty is not unconstitutional if there's due process in the court of law.
>>
>>55320989
No they dont, where the kek did you learn this?
>>
>>55321034

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/views-executions?exec_name_1=&exec_year%5B%5D=2015&sex=All&sex_1=All&federal=All&foreigner=All&juvenile=All&volunteer=All&=Apply

There has only been 25 executions in the US this year. America certainly isn't killing off their trash and if they are they are doing a terrible job
>>
The death penalty can't be unconstitutional, since every single state had the death penalty at the time the Constitution was ratified.

Secondly, people look at the criminal justice system in a stupid way. The criminal justice system doesn't exist to punish people who commit crime. The criminal justice systems exists to prevent crime altogether.

You shouldn't be locked up for some arbitrary amount of time, based on the supposed severity of a crime. You should be locked up as long as you are still a danger to society.
>>
>>55320715
So he's against abortions?
>>
>>55320715
>As a president
Kek
>>
>>55320715
Like he gives a fuck about the constitution.
>>
>>55320715

>Is the death penalty unconstitutional?

Not at all.

If one wants to argue it's "cruel," then so are all punishments for criminal acts.

If one wants to argue it's "unusual," one will have to somehow hide centuries of its use.
>>
implement iran death policy plz
>>
File: 1418193500259.gif (3 MB, 390x293) Image search: [Google]
1418193500259.gif
3 MB, 390x293
Why is O'Malley still around?
>>
>>55321350
Right. How fucking stupid do you have to be to not know that we have a Supreme Court. Their job includes deciding whether government actions are unconstitutional. The Court clearly does not think that the Death Penalty hits that level.

They have said that it COULD be but the current state of the jurisprudence does not support the words that this man drew forth from his ass and handed yo our excellent media to report.

Fuck the damn democRATS.
>>
No one has ever made a convincing argument to outlaw the death penalty except 'muh feels.'
I've never understood why people put so much emphasis on capital punishment. There are issues so much more relevant to the voters' lives.
>>
>>55320715
The constitution protects people from cruel punishment so yes, he's right
>>
>>55321489
Except the problem is that you can wind up in prison for simply possessing narcotics, you can wind up in jail for something as trivial as hiring a prostitute(although this one is typically pleaded down as I understand it), your idea is a good one, but at the same time it would require major changes to our correctional system.
>>
>>55320766
This
>>
>>55321063
>he doesn't know the difference between the declaration of independence and the u.s. constitution
>>
>>55320794
I never understood why people are so against a bullet in the back of the head for a murderer.

If you know for 100% that someone has killed and after all the appeals they are still found guilty, put a 9mm through the brain stem. No pain and quick.

>Buh dey shuld suffer!

Bullet in the back of the head for these degenerates too.
>>
The death penalty isn't unconstitutional. It's actually prescribed in the constitution as a punishment for treason, and, as mentioned up thread, by reverse implication, the Constitution says that the government may take your life with adequate due process.

I'm personally agnostic on the death penalty. I think there have been enough mistaken convictions to consider moratoriums, but saying it's unconstitutional is just saying that you want the courts to legislate and that you will never get states to just outlaw it.

Which is retarded because that's exactly what Nebraska, one of the most conservative states in America, just did.
>>
>>55321888

By that logic, all criminal punishment is unconstitutional.
>>
>>55321891
Doesn't change anything. The point is, if the government thinks its necessary to lock you up for drugs. Then what is the point in letting you out of jail, if you're going to go right back to using drugs?

Either drug use is dangerous, or it isn't. If people who do drugs are unsafe, take them off the streets. If they are safe, leave them on the streets. Laws aren't supposed to punish people, they are supposed to stop crime.

The reason crime rates have fallen, is largely the result of things like the "three-strikes" rule. There is a certain type of person who is apt to commit crime. If you lock him up, he can't commit crime.

On the other hand, what is the point in locking someone up, who is no harm to anyone? And especially, someone who is unlikely to ever commit a crime in the future.
>>
>>55321888

Cruel AND Unusual. It has to be both.

Putting someone in prison for life is cruel, but that's how we've been doing things for thousands of years. Forcing a teenager to stand on the side of the road where he crashed while texting holding a sign saying "I almost killed someone" is unusual, but judges do things like it on a regular enough basis that it's a pretty common human interests filler story in local papers.

It has to be both.
>>
It doesn't matter if its unconstitutional, it actuallys costs more money to execute someone than to let them live in jail for the rest of their lives. The sole purpose of the death penalty is just to scare people into not doing crime.
Scare tactics have proven to show that they do NOT stop crime.
>>
>>55320715
Wrong, outright.
Eye for an eye is neither cruel nor unusual.

Now if you want to talk about real cruel and unusual try almost every other citation available.

Speeding tickets that are either 100 fines or 5000 court battles.
Massive prison terms for drug possession.
Late fees for tickets that are even larger than the ticket.
Mandatory minimums.
Anything where no party was injured yet has a fine that is more than an hours worth of work. (The hour is arbitrary, idk what is really fair)
Punishment for copyright infringement.

Literally hundreds of laws that have cruel and unusual punishment, but not this one.
>>
How can something that was legal during the founding of the country be unconstitutional? Are liberals really this fucking retarded?(asking rhetorically)
>>
I used to be okay with it, but then I watched "Into the Abyss" by Herzog. The way the man in charge of executing prisoners on Huntsville death row was affected by his actions really moved me.

The other is simply statistics. Even with 99.9% confidence, including damning evidence, fair trials, skilled lawyers and detectives, etc., there is still a 0.1% chance you are killing an innocent person. They can never come back. The State is taking an innocent person and ending their life under the pretense of "public safety." Do you want to be the person whose life is taken from them?
>>
>>55320715

One the one hand, I don't think anyone but God gets to take your life.

On the other hand, some people just need to die.

At this point in my life I say fuck it, kill them all and let God sort them out. Just brain them with a pipe wrench to the back of the head / neck and be done with it.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.