[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, it looks like global warming isn't a myth after all...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 22
File: y...you too.jpg (67 KB, 662x614) Image search: [Google]
y...you too.jpg
67 KB, 662x614
So, it looks like global warming isn't a myth after all...

>Global temperatures reached high levels in 2014 but 2015 is expected to be the warmest since records began

>Global temperatures are set to rise more than one degree above pre-industrial levels according to the UK's Met Office.
>>
Here ya go: http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/03/world/antarctica-ice-gain/
>>
>>55306473
That corbyn fellow sure is getting his propaganda machine churning quickly
>>
File: F5.large.jpg (94 KB, 855x1280) Image search: [Google]
F5.large.jpg
94 KB, 855x1280
>>55306535

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZovcCxftAY
>M-muh square mile gains
>Mass doesn't matter, r-right guys?
>But climate scientist that aren't employed by big oil are shills, right?
>>
where is the experiment that has predictive power and is repeatable? Thermodynamics, QM, GR, Electromagnetism and many more have this kind of test.

So called 'science' like archaeology, paleontology, stratigraphy, anthropology, evolution, and so called climate science have nothing of the sort, and complete morons will posit their conjecture as ironclad fact, when indeed they have no clue beyond their "consensus" which is a joke concept for real science.

You can make GPS satellites work -only- by using General Relativity, to pick an example. It is impossible beyond doubt that it is true. The QM slit test can be done at home for fuck sake, showing the wave diffraction pattern 100% of the time. But hey your carbon-14 dating says 400 million years I guess that's legit.

The real cruelty is where einstein DID AWAY completely with newtonian physics over a TINY deviation in the recorded values. They should have just done some smoothing iterations on the dataset like in climate "science" to keep newtonians in their chairs at universities. He runined people's lives over this microscopic variance! If global warming's variance were only 10 million times greater than that I might believe it, too bad it's orders of magnitude worse than that.

You are made a retard by calling things which are not science by the name. It's not. Science uses the Scientific Method. Do they still teach that in 6th grade?
>>
>>55306473
>since records began

This sounds scary until you realize that records go back less than 200 years which is completely insignificant as a measurement.
>>
>>55306837
Your graph includes data up to ~2010, your article is from 2014, my source is from 5 days ago.
>>
File: MarysvilleCA_USHCN_Site_small.jpg (54 KB, 480x331) Image search: [Google]
MarysvilleCA_USHCN_Site_small.jpg
54 KB, 480x331
>>55306473
>shit tier, urban heat island surface records
>not god tier, global coverage, UHI immune satellite records

Fuck off.
>>
File: so_this_is_spiral_power.png (252 KB, 579x329) Image search: [Google]
so_this_is_spiral_power.png
252 KB, 579x329
>>55306841
OP on suicide watch because
>muh consensus
Is demolished once again
>>
Creating a left-right divide on this issue was the worst idea ever.
>>
>>55306841
>Literally mad because Climate Scientists haven't built a second earth on another star and recreated a global warming scenario
>Will not be satisfied until they do

You're funny. Say more funny things.
>>
>>55306473
ye I believe and have always believed fossil fuel industries on this issue. They're way more credible than some wannabe scientists.
>>
>>55307738
Yeah, astrophysicists only know what happens in stars because they cut one open and looked inside and too samples.
>>
>>55307738
>You're funny. Say more funny things.
No significant steps will be taken, to lower anthropogenic greenhouse gases over the next 20 years. The actual greenhouse gas emissions will increase over that same time period there will be no catastrophic climate change that occurs over that same time period.
>>
>if greenhouse gasses increase exponentially and warming stays constant will anthro fags do an I'm sorry campaign?
No, probably not.
>>
>>55306473

>Risen 1 degree in 200 years

Holy shit

IT'S FUCKING NOTHING
>>
File: 1444186032524.jpg (19 KB, 280x400) Image search: [Google]
1444186032524.jpg
19 KB, 280x400
I could not care less.
>>
>>55306841

You know what you ask is impossible. If I built a model earth, with a model atmosphere and model sun, you'd still denounce it because it wasn't to scale and didn't have a live, active molten core. What we can show you is co2 trapping heat. I can post a video if you like showing you the simple experiment.

>>55307060

What OP posted was satellite record.

>>55307576

>muh concesus

This do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change#Dissenting

>As of 2007, when the American Association of Petroleum Geologists released a revised statement,[14] no scientific body of national or international scientists rejects the findings of human-induced effects on climate change.

No major scientific body on earth disputes that it is happening. Some contest the extent of human influence.
>>
>>55308014

>No significant steps will be taken, to lower anthropogenic greenhouse gases over the next 20 years. The actual greenhouse gas emissions will increase over that same time period there will be no catastrophic climate change that occurs over that same time period.

Interesting hypothesis, what evidence are you basing your claims on?
>>
File: 1433185629741.jpg (21 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1433185629741.jpg
21 KB, 640x480
>>55306473
>It's getting warmer in northern europe
>It's getting colder in Namibia
>>
>>55306841
psychology uses the scientific method. is psychology a science?
>>
>>55309118
>>read an article a couple of days ago about how this winter is gonna be the coldest winter in 50 years for Europe

Bwahahaha man dit moet echt de sofste winter in een lange tijd zijn. Ik kan me niet meer herinneren in november met een t shirt naar buiten te zijn geweest en het niet koud was.
>>
>>55306473
That is fine.
The limit is 2C above ~1750 levels, IIRC.

The arbitrary limit set by the IPCC or whoever.
>>
>>55306473
OMG 1 DEGREE!!!!!! :OOOOOO
>>
File: Global Warming.jpg (59 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
Global Warming.jpg
59 KB, 600x398
>>55306473

Sage it.
>>
File: Holosene Optimum.jpg (83 KB, 990x537) Image search: [Google]
Holosene Optimum.jpg
83 KB, 990x537
Will they be satisfied when we cripple our economy and powergrid by frivolously spending it all on 15% efficient solar power

The United States and European carbon dioxide emissions combined are a quarter of the total. So when we try and mitigate this to the point where we're severely crippled it will be inconsequential.

They must realize that Nuclear reactors emit water vapor and spent fuel rods.
>>
>>55310219
So you have no idea what you're talking about, much the same as most people on /pol/
>>
File: pepe_did_911.jpg (62 KB, 619x406) Image search: [Google]
pepe_did_911.jpg
62 KB, 619x406
>Oy vey we gonna be like a big oven soon if we don't eliminate anti-semitism
>>
>>55306473
HAARP

High-pressure heat pockets that act completely unnaturally, and it was created as a weapon.

The US claims it was shut down last year, but that's bullshit.

The heat this year was 100% caused by these high-pressure heat pocket when over Texas local weathermen said couldn't be predicted as towhen they'd leave because they don't act like natural weather phenomena.

And it reeks of Texas and Northern Europe being terraformed to make them more comfortable for allt he Africans and Muslims pouring in.
>>
>>55310572
Describing PVs as 15% efficient, as an insult, is moronic.

A coal power station is 0% efficient by that metric, so you can make no reasonable comparison.

A non-retarded metric would be cost/kWh
>>
>>55310825
l2physics
>>
>>55309297
Yes, get over the meme that it isn't
>>
>>55310825
>Solar is 15% efficient
>We better dump our existing harmful infrastructure on this

It's ludicrously expensive money per kW, why even discuss it beyond saying it will cripple us into such a debt that it's not even possible.
>>
>>55306473
>since records began
Still nowhere near as high as the Roman Climatic Optimum.
>>
>>55306473
>Midwest gets even colder
J U S T
>>
>>55306473
>>55306535
so who do i trust
>>
>>55306841
Can you reproduce an experiment in the mechanics of plate tectonics?
No?
Then obviously you're a Big Geology shill and Obama's paying you so he can subsidize the earthquake industry
>>
>>55311029
Computers were a bad investment, and probably the devil's work too
>>
>>55311170
Thank you winter Chan.

Freeze the shit skins
>>
>>55311236
>computers were, at one time, not powerful enough to be cost-efficient in almost any endeavor
this is true. Even if you had a time machine it'd still be a retarded idea to buy a supercomputer in the 50's for your call center or whatever when they won't be close to economically viable until at least the 90's
>>
>>55306473
Afterall.

Nigger, we knew 60 years ago in california.
>>
>>55306535

the reasoning for this has been clarified for a long long time

>hurr durr research
>>
>>55306841

>says the guy with zero education or experience in any of those fields

i hope you at least got your GED kid
>>
>>55311223
I'm with Kebab here, who do I trust?
>>
Also adding onto this, right now it's the warmest fall ever breaking records as far back as 1929.
>>
>>55311472
Trust people who haven't staked their entire livelihoods on the outcome of global warming.

Aka don't trust, climate "scientists", environmental groups, the media, or liberals.
>>
>>55311472
I would like to remind you that this is an El Nino year, which means the pacific has significantly higher warming than usual. Basing anything of off a high on El Nino year is either a sign of ignorance or intellectual dishonesty.

Instead you should look at multi-year moving averages. Like a 5-year moving average for temps.
>>
so temperatures are going back to what they were like in medieval times, before the cold snap. Where you could grow wine in southern norway and england.

Jesus christ people are fucking retarded, you just have to go some hundred years back and it was WARMER than it is today, the world didn't end back then, it won't end this time either.
>>
>>55311564
>>55311529
I have a friend in the US coastguard who's a meteorologist I can ask him for more details I guess.
>>
>>55311652
Yeah it is worth it to learn more. It happens on both sides though too. A lot of the climate change skeptics will say, "Oh nothing has been as hot at 98!" which is technically true, but 98 was also an el nino year and one that was particularly powerful. But this is why it is important to look at multi year averages and not just one year.
>>
>>55311564

Tend to agree. But when 9/10 of the hottest years on record have been since 2000 it seems like there is a pretty clear trend.
>>
>>55306473
>more than one degree above pre-industrial levels
1 degree?All that fuss over 1 degree? You literally can't even tell the difference between e.g. 24 and 25 degrees Celsius. Doesn't seem like the apocalyptic global warming that a lot of politicians preach.
>>
I don't think people are denying the fact that maybe the Earth is getting warmer by a fraction of a degree here and there. Hell, we had an Ice Age a few thousand years ago, so it's not exactly unheard of that the climate changes.
What people are concerned about is that we are being taxed more and more for using more CO2 here in the Western World, whereas China and other Asian countries are building New Coal Power stations every week.
>>
File: 1377613758038.jpg (11 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
1377613758038.jpg
11 KB, 274x184
The bottom line is, humans emphatically contribute to climate change. There's no way to support 7 billion voracious consuming large mammals(without fur) who choose to live in deserts and tundras and who require potable water and medicines and other resources, without having an effect on the planet's climate.

Here's the hard truth about what needs to be done at minimum to stop humans from significantly affecting the climate.
1. Cull the population down to under 500 millions
OR
2. Become completely Luddite, globally. No more technology, travel, etc. Pre-industrial living, worldwide.

If you're not willing to do either of these you will NOT solve the problem, ever, at all, not one damn bit.
So, leftists and Greenpeace. You now have your mission. Good luck making it work. You faggots couldn't live without refrigerated food and air conditioning. Or your smartphones.

Speaking of smartphones-
http://inhabitat.com/chinas-massive-toxic-lake-will-make-you-question-buying-another-electronic-device/
Mmmm! Apples!
>>
>>55311581

Problem is that Africa, the Middle East and a large portion of Asia becomes uninhabitable

There will be hundreds of millions of climate refugees.

The war in Syria broke out because of severe drought, same for Iraq. When people go hungry they go to war or they leave.

Just waiting for the Russian tundra to become arable so the refugees will go there instead of here, at least there's a lot of space in Russia
>>
>>55311820
its because it's horseshit swissfriend.

Yes the planet is going to get warmer, and it's going to get cooler again. This has happened many times over thousands of years.

It's no secret that humans obviously have an effect on the temperature, but not to the extent that these niggers are preaching, and it won't have any cataclysmic effects either.

I suggest watching this video if anyone is truly interested in this topic;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Cp7DrvNLQ
>>
>>55312114
to follow on, I managed to find the article in The Guardian (UK newspaper) that confirms there are over 1000 new Coal Power stations planned.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/nov/20/coal-plants-world-resources-institute

It just kind of shits on the rest of the world's efforts to reduce our CO2 emmissions...
>>
File: HoloceneTemperatures.png (10 KB, 473x216) Image search: [Google]
HoloceneTemperatures.png
10 KB, 473x216
Normal periodic change.
People cry about it because it brings a lot of money to politicians and co-operative scientists.
And it's in China's interest to shit on industry in Europe and America.
>>
>>55311778
Yeah but it is also worth noting that the actual warming has been pretty flat. So the Delta T has been essentially zero or only slightly positive. If you compare this with the predictions made by nearly all the IPCC models the contrast is stark. The models showed an increasing T and the T was increasing at an increasing rate. So the second order derivate of T in the models was positive, whereas in the actual satellite data, over the past 15-18 years or so, the second order derivative of T has been negative.

The scary predictions of catastrophe around global warming depend on not just it being hot, but it getting hotter and it getting hotter at an increasing rate. And the actual data is not showing that.

Carbon levels have gone from basically 270 ppm to 400 ppm and that has corresponded with about a .7-.8 degree C change in average surface temps. In order to raise the average surface temps an additional 1 degree C, purely from an increase in CO2 temps the concentration would have to go from 400 ppm to 800 ppm. And to raise it an additional 1 degree C from there it would have to go from 800 ppm to 1600 ppm.

Global warming certainly exists, it just doesn't look scary.
>>
>>55312368
*** Edit 1200 Coal Power Stations
>>
File: fuckingidiots.jpg (49 KB, 623x394) Image search: [Google]
fuckingidiots.jpg
49 KB, 623x394
>>
File: ship_pollution_-3.jpg (49 KB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
ship_pollution_-3.jpg
49 KB, 500x323
>>55312369
>And it's in China's interest to shit on industry in Europe and America
exactly. Here in Europe, we're being taxed on factory emissions, so things cost more here.
Over there, tiny little yellow hands can pollute the local water course, and burn up as many fossil fuels as they wish without having to pay anything, vastly undercutting any European made products.

...All being shipped over by massively polluting, crude-oil burning container ships
>>
>>55306473

but muh humans are harmless the global warming is a myth perpetrated by the globalist you can support 10 bi people in texas alone!
>>
>>55312396

You are forgetting about positive feedback loops.

Now that the methane has started bubbling up from the Northern Russian seabed, we will see some pretty hefty shit in the next 10-20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2w0q6gxNiU
>>
>>55312252
>Problem is that Africa, the Middle East and a large portion of Asia becomes uninhabitable

Why do you think those areas will become uninhabitable when they have been inhabited for the past several millenia, and it has been significantly warmer in the not to recent past?
>>
>>55312440
the thing is, I see so many variations of past temperatures, that I don't know if they're made by some 12 year old in his mother's basement, or by actual scientists. The do look like they're made in MS paint
>>
>>55311529

>Trust me
>not the scientists
>>
>>55312496
>>55312369

Yes, let us go back to our own pre-anti-pollution days where we had smog in all major cities and our rivers were coloured by heavy metals.

Letting China sell us cheap shit while shitting up its own country is one of the greatest ideas in the last 50 years of geopolitics: they are sucking themselves dry of critical resources, they are loosing thousands of square kilometers of arable land each year, their water table is under the charts and they have literal cancer villages.

We benefit from their production, both now and in the long run.
>>
>>55312538

There weren't 1.000.000 Africans then, there were like 20 million
Same goes for Asia, same goes for South America
>>
>>55312522
I didn't forget, I intentionally specified purely from CO2, because we haven't seen much evidence of warming from positive feedback loops yet despite there being predictions of it.

It is also worth noting that if we wanted to we could try combusting methyl hydrates on the ocean floor to change the methane to CO2 instead which is good trade to make if you want to lower the greenhouse effect.
>>
>>55308625
THIS

At the end of the Younger Dryas the temperature rose +10°C within a timescale of a few years. And that wasn't even that long ago, really.
>>
>>55312396

Yes the warming hasn't been as fast since 1998. But only cause 1998 was so hot. If you draw a line of best fit going back longer than the late 90s the trend is clearer. It also appears that a lot of the missing heat has been taken up by the oceans.
>>
>>55312623
Don't trust the scientists who have staked their entire careers on the reality of man made global warming.
>>
>>55306841
First off, carbon 14 dating can only be used to about 50,000 years. Second radioisotope dating is a proven experiment. F*** I just did it myself in lab two weeks ago with protactinium 234 decaying into uranium-234.

Radioisotope dating is a proven scientific fact, any basic chemistry will show you this. One element decays into another element by one of its various means over set period of time that can be mathematically and experimentally determined. Time half life = ln(2)/k, where k = rate of change.

We know the average amount of carbon 14 in a living organism due to your body's carbon reacting with cosmic energy. When you die you stop generating new carbon and your carbon starts to decay, you get the idea. Amount of carbon 14 left in a sample is direct proportion to its half life's.

Everything has a radioactivity level based on various elements present, various dating methods can take advantage of this. I've given you the very vague explanation but go read some peer reviewed articles... Or take a chemistry class and see it yourself.
>>
File: 1434999553001.jpg (73 KB, 590x677) Image search: [Google]
1434999553001.jpg
73 KB, 590x677
>>55312496
>I'm so jelly of smog-covered Chinese cities and their rivers of flowing shit
>>
File: literalidiots.png (357 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
literalidiots.png
357 KB, 1920x1080
>>55312549
taken directly from randall carlson.

http://sacredgeometryinternational.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Cp7DrvNLQ

as is pic related
>>
>>55312670
Is your worry food supply? Water supply?

Because Food is cheaper now than it has ever been in the history of man. And making potable water is also easier now than it has ever been, or getting water from aquifers.
>>
>>55312252
>africa habitable now.........??
>>
I live in SWFL. We are currently 10 degrees over the average and have been for weeks. They said it was going to cool off this week but nope. Currently 88 on a cloudy morning.
>>
>>55312757
I'm not Jelly, it just shouldn't be allowed to happen! They have their own space program FFS, so they're not exactly Africa-tier. They have the means to look after their land/air if they wanted to...
>>
>>55312549
The general trends is still the same (patterns of interglacial-glacial), the variations come from different sources in different regions over the globe.
>>
>>55312860
>Currently 88
Back to the Future temperature?

Pretty hot though. Nearly at 100 where water boils
>>
>>55312869
>they have space program
India too, its just a matter of how you divert your funds.
>>
>>55312728
I didn't mean to compare it to the starting point of 98, because as I said earlier that was a potent El Nino year. but if you look at say 99 or 2000 onwards the delta T for that time period has still been relatively flat or only slightly positive. Despite the models predicting not just a positive delta T but a positive delta of the delta T.

This is good news because it shows that greenhouse gases did not have as big an impact as predicted.
>>
>>55312920
F not C... Round 21 cel... I think. Too lazy to google or do the math myself.
>>
>>55306841
>You can make GPS satellites work -only- by using General Relativity, to pick an example.
Not 100% true. General Relativity can still be wrong, it's just that for the purposes of GPS it's very close to being right. Just like Newtonian physics are known to be wrong, but for the purposes of everyday life they are very close to being right.
>>
>>55312114
China is literally uninhabitable because of coal power ya wanker.
>>
>>55312804

As soon as oil rises in price, so will food

And when arable land around the globe gets flooded/droughted/eaten by new insects that migrate, then we will also see a price hike.

> Aquifiers
> Africa

Dude..

And forget about desalination, they don't have the money and energy for that.

>>55312819

There is plenty of very good farmland in Africa, Nigeria is a good example, South Africa and Zimbabwe are another. Besides, you can grow a lot of shit in semi-desert if you know how.
>>
>>55312155
>Here's the hard truth about what needs to be done at minimum to stop humans from significantly affecting the climate.
>1. Cull the population down to under 500 millions
And that's when you realise global warming hysterics are a fucking death cult.
>>
>>55313120
>they don't have the money and energy for that.
Even if they did, they're so corrupt, it would just go to war lords, drugs, guns.
They have a potential to be huge energy exporters with their all year round Sun, and cheaper Solar tech.
Problem is, Africa is infected with ISIS/Islam, so no chance of anything good coming out of there for a long time yet
>>
>>55312114
This is just my opinion, but I fail to see how theres a massive establishment jewing just to extort carbon tax or give some scientists a little extra grant, which isn't that much a money globally and certainly far less then petrocompany incomes.
It looks like too much work for not that much gain.

And on the upside we try to get ridd of pollution, which is somehow a bad thing?

And before anyone targets me as shill I certainly don't think climate science is set in stone and that models are exact, in fact I doubt any climatist really thinks so as I know a few at a local uni department (theres quite the arguments between them).
>>
>>55313316
I think you mean it has NIGGERS.
>>
>>55313329
Here in the EU, politicians need to be seen to be doing something about it. They can't turn a blind eye like in 3rd world China
>>
>>55313389
Nig's aren't actually an issue if you give them jobs and take away easily gotten guns. Look at the UK for example. Blacks live perfectly fine among Whites. Yes there's always gangs in lower class areas.
>>
>>55313473
Why are you even fooling yourself Charles, just because mudshits are keking you harder than Tyrones doesn't mean they can function in a western society without turning to gibbersmedats.
>>
>>55312155
>humans are this huge amount of people
And then you realize they could all fit comfortably in texas
>>
File: 1444434532138.jpg (66 KB, 539x960) Image search: [Google]
1444434532138.jpg
66 KB, 539x960
>>55313275
I don't know.
But our population is way overblown. There's no need for such a large population, and it only causes us to burn through resources faster.
Resources are not free and the more we use the less we have.
The problem is especially bad with nonwhites, however, which is something that most leftist envirofaggots will never admit.
Asians, Arabs, Africans, and Hispanics are a huge problem for the environment.

Note that until cheap oil and the Haber process existed, the human population was pretty stable, though still excessive, at about 1.5B.
>>
>>55306473
can u screenshoot the EVIDENCE ?
>>
>>55313329
>And on the upside we try to get ridd of pollution, which is somehow a bad thing?

It is not that lowering pollution is a bad thing. It just that everything you mandate has an associated cost. It becomes an issue of whether the associated cost is worth it.
>>
>>55312634
India is more of a long term threat than China

Hopefully they'll get into a nuke match with Pakistan or have an ethnic civil war again and rightfully split apart
>>
>1C increase

ITS HAPPENING GUYS

THE END IS NIGH
>>
File: 1277197284506.jpg (31 KB, 365x352) Image search: [Google]
1277197284506.jpg
31 KB, 365x352
>>55313584
It's not about space at all. There's enough room on the earth for a trillion humans.
But there's nowhere near enough resources for even our current population. We're running out of things to make our lives better.
Right now it's helium, platinum-group metals, and rare-earth(lanthanide) metals.

These are absolutely essential to higher technology and modern living. When they're gone, so is the party.
People that dispute the population crisis always use the "but we can fit all the people on earth into Texas" argument.
This is not nor has never been about space. It's about the shit we all use to not live like other animals. Unless we're all ready to become Amish in about 100 years or so, we're going to need to cut back drastically. That's a fact of chemistry. No way around it.
>>
>>55306473
Cool,where do I give you all my money so you can enjoy the rest of your life while claiming to save the planet?
>>
>>55313831
If we all become Amish then who will build the sky scrapers, nuclear fusion reactors, and vertical farms to keep us all alive?
>>
>>55313936
Thus we see the quandary.
If we're going to be a technologically advance species, we must learn restraint and how to conserve resources. We need to at least get to a point where we can mine asteroids and planets and comets for resources, before we can sustain a high population WITH high-technology.

Chemistry and physics demands this, and since their laws cannot be broken, we had better heed the laws therein.
We're at the mercy of the natural world.
>>
>>55313831
>new age peak oil argument
Le into the trash it goes
>>
>>55314122
S-S-S-SPACE LIFT will be our ticket to interstellar travel.
>>
>>55314122
this is why we need dictatorship and not democracy. if we are going to reach our potential as a species we need to dominate ourselves and not let base urges guide us. a system based on natural base urges will lead us back to a natural base lifestyle and we will go extinct like everyone else
>>
>>55306473

i don't like these scientific observations. they are contrary to my financial interests therefore, they are incorrect.

signed,
the 1%
>>
Jesus for the last time
The world has seasons, yes is does
The tempreture is rising and falling for millenia with the range of 2-5degree ins this "seasons"
The season change all 10k years
They rise slowls and drop slowly again

Fucking idiots
>>
File: 1191451307864.gif (2 MB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
1191451307864.gif
2 MB, 267x200
>>55314259
Dictatorships inevitably lead to warfare, and warfare is a great waste of resources. Unless your dictatorship ends up killing off billions of people, it'll be useless and probably will make things worse.

>>55314197
Peak oil isn't the problem, fuckwit. What part of "we're running out of helium, platinum-group metals, and rare-earth metals" do you not understand?
These materials cannot be replaced in industry. The closest thing to helium is hydrogen, and in case you never took highschool chemistry, hydrogen is flammable to the extreme and highly explosive when mixed with a source of oxygen. Having the LHC cooled by H would be a disaster waiting to happen.
>>
>>55311418
Yet if nobody ever invested in those shitty 50s supercomputers, we never would have gotten modern computing at all.
>>
>>55312634

Stating that there have always been cycles of warming and cooling isn't equivalent and does not imply that we should return to polluting rivers.
>>
>>55313601
>Asians, Arabs, Africans, and Hispanics

Errr, it is actually us westerners that have the highest use of resources due to our wealth and our buy-and-throw-out culture

Africans use like 1/20 the amount of resources we do.

China has just barely eclipsed the US as the largest CO2 emitter, and they have 3 times the population.

Africans and Indians make a living out of importing our waste and sorting it and using it (ships, cars, electronics, etc)
>>
>>55306473
where is my freezing winter.
It's mid fall in bulgaria and is +16C ...wtf
>>
>>55315261
>MUH MUH MUH WINTER CHAN ;_;

Fucking pathetic.
>>
>>55314525
>peak oil isn't the problem
Never said it was
>peak oil isn't the problem
>proceeds to make a peak-x natural resource argument
The reason you gave to distinguish your argument from peak oil is one that exists in peak oil arguments as well, that oil can't be replaced.

It is an economic argument. So in your specific example, it wouldn't be about the lack of something happening. It would be that something happening, that certain way, happening less. Eventually an alternative will be more efficient, and take over.

If you still assert that this isn't possible because of danger, I can assure you that that will be factored into economic calculation and if it is more efficient, will take the place of the current resource.

If you assert that something still can't be replaced, I can assure you that it either can, or nobody cares enough about it such that an efficient alternative would replace it

And assuming this isn't the case, we would still never "run out", the costs would just match the scarcity and those things would just become premium in usage.

Anything specific you have in mind that absolutely cannot be replaced? Your example used danger and that isn't a real barrier.
>>
>>55315342
i hope for a goood winter...at least will stop the migrants
>>
>>55315015
>Errr, it is actually us westerners that have the highest use of resources due to our wealth and our buy-and-throw-out culture
We also recycle our resources. So when you combine that with our use, we actually USE less.
Poor fucks and especially east asians just consume and breed. Also, the biggest problem with the brown people is their breeding habits. Westerners are limiting their populations, but the turd-world is not. Thus, a massive and obscene quantity of food and water is being used by them, and this consumption uses up lots of irreplaceable resources. The Haber process for example uses a huge quantity of platinum-group metals as catalysts.

The West too must do more to curb resource usage. Recycling of plastics needs to by greatly increased. While plastics recycling does use more energy than making new plastics from petroleum, recycling uses far less metallic catalysts.

If people think global warming is a bad thing, wait until they have to deal with a Pt/Pd/Rh shortage.

>>55315432
>I can assure you that it either can, or nobody cares enough about it such that an efficient alternative would replace it
Are you a chemist? What is your replacement for Platinum-group metals?
>>
>>55306473
in the mean time antarctic ice levels are at all time (since recording) highs.
>>
>>55315526
>platinum group metals
What are they used for?

My answer will be that they'll be used less and less, or that they are not essential such that life cannot go on without them, or that they can actually be replaced and your imagination is not sufficient to accommodate a solution
>>
File: 1269043874319.gif (2 MB, 419x274) Image search: [Google]
1269043874319.gif
2 MB, 419x274
>>55316189
They're essential for the Haber process(which is essential for cheap and plentiful food), and for manufacturing plastics and pharmaceuticals.
They're used as catalysts in organic chemistry. They're also vital for cutting pollution from the billion or so cars on the roads. And they cannot be substituted. When we run low, the cost of everything will go up greatly, and if we run out, say goodbye to a comfortable life and hello to the Amish lifestyle.
>>
>>55316995

PGM-group metals can easily be recycled as well

most catalytic converters are recycled for instance

Your argument about us using less resources than the third-world are laughable, they use much less coal, much much much less oil, they eat much much less meat and so on and so forth.

We are still the greatest "sinners", both in absolute and in relative numbers.
>>
>>55318413
>they use much less coal, much much much less oil, they eat much much less meat and so on and so forth.
But they use far more fertilizer, and the Chinese use more resources than the West because their recycling program pretty much doesn't exist unless there's rare materials to be gotten.
They also have a very bad habit of destroying rain forests and other ecologically sensitive environments for agriculture.
The rain forests are a massive carbon collection system, rivaling phytoplankton and the northern forests.

As for Pt-group metals, when they're used as catalysts, they're generally lost forever. Very small amounts dissolve into the materials being made, and those amounts cannot be at all easily or economically recollected.
>>
>>55307271
This.
>>
>>55309297
>psychology uses the scientific method. is psychology a science?
hardly if fails short at reproducibility
http://www.nature.com/news/over-half-of-psychology-studies-fail-reproducibility-test-1.18248
>>
>>55312634
>Yes, let us go back to our own pre-anti-pollution days where we had smog in all major cities and our rivers were coloured by heavy metals.
There is a HUGE difference between heavy metal pollution and CO2 pollution.
>>
>>55309154
In Ireland we've had cold summers for the last 2 years.
>>
>>55306473
Great, because global warming would actually be good.
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.