[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Asteroid intercept last night.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12
At approximately 7:00 last night, the was an explosion in the western hemisphere off the coast of california. It appeared to me as if a rocket was detonated in the face of an incoming meteor and the resulting shockwave covered the entire horizon and could be seen for approximately 600 miles.
The media was saying it was a trident missle test, but i know better I was watching it through binoculars.
Pic related
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>55265792
>>55267564
>>>/x/

>Asteroid intercept visible with binoculars
try harder faggot
>>
Bump.

Tell me more OP. Got anymore pics?
>>
Hi op

bad news

we have no missle technology to intercept extra planetary objects.

Our biggest rockets are just big enough to get us into a near orbital path to hit the other side of the earth
>>
OP's explanation is literally the most retarded one I've seen yet

>OP is literally retarded
>>
File: 1415020903753.gif (3 MB, 177x217) Image search: [Google]
1415020903753.gif
3 MB, 177x217
>>55267609
This.
Any attempted intercept within binocular range would be totally pointless because the entirety of the asteroid would still impact. At best it might be broken up into several smaller (still deadly) impacters
>>
>>55265792
>but i know better I was watching it through binoculars.
>binoculars

Stupidity in its concentrated Form
>>
you need a two stager that will use the firststage to leave earths gravity then a second on to propel it at a high enough velocity to impact the object...

not a physicist here but the first thought I had was this would never reach a ballistic velocity due to the lack of resistance in the vacuum of space BUT it could at least deliver a payload which could detonate upon impact possibly causing at least a deflection of the object but it still might not be sufficient to direct it away from a direct earth bound trajectory since again with no resistance in space the earths gravity could be strong enough to recapture it if you just exploded it without deterring its trajectory you;d just create multiple objects with no way to know they'd be small enough to burn up of cause no harm..
>>
>>55267850
>>55267747
>>55267768
Look at the pic.
>>
>>55267747
Until that time when you do. But you know that requires things like TESTS, retard.
>>
>>55268104
Look at the pic.
>>
>>55268161
disingenuous and homosexual
>>
>>55268099
Do you understand what a horizon is?
>>
>>55265792

Space seems like a good place to test nuclear devices. I mean at some point they're going to become so powerful that it would be impractical to test them on or near earth. It will be a big thing in the near future to behold displays of power such as this one at night.

Joe ''Blaze it 420'' Rogan talked about this on one of my podcasts and it really opened my eyes. I don't doubt we'll soon send a nuclear device to blow up some large asteroids in the kepler belt or some shit. It will be a spectacle and an engineering feat as well as a paradigm shift.
>>
File: 257925725354.gif (254 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
257925725354.gif
254 KB, 480x270
>>55268285
>Space seems like a good place to test nuclear devices.
Expect there are multiple treaties against that exact thing.
>kepler belt
STOP
>>
>>55268374
except*
>>
>>55268229
You obviously arent loking at the pic. The largest of conventional nuclear detonations at this range could be covered with your thumb. This explosion was so large it covered the entire horizon.
>>
>>55268278
I guess that giant explosion isnt on the horizon, right?
>>
>>55268486
So give us some source material to support your "rule of thumb"
>>
>>55268374
Kuiper Belt, whatever cartoon-fag.

hang yourself with shit-covered rope
>>
Is there anyone in this thread who believes an explosion of the one in the pic could be the result of a missile test?
>>
File: fag.jpg (42 KB, 663x663) Image search: [Google]
fag.jpg
42 KB, 663x663
>>55268625
>>
>>55265792
More conspiracies pls
>>
File: 6NfmQ.jpg (26 KB, 480x445) Image search: [Google]
6NfmQ.jpg
26 KB, 480x445
>>55265792
Oh for God's sake enough with the /x/-tier shit. If an asteroid was close enough to be hit by a missile and was a big enough danger to warrant such a response it'd be hopeless. If you send the world's entire nuclear arsenal at a 10 mile wide asteroid it'd just keep coming at you as mile wide peices of shrapnel.

This was a missile yes, the navy was testing one in the area, but it wasn't an 'asteroid intercept'. It was just a routine test.
As for people saying it was some kind of UFO after watching the videos, the sudden appearance of a blue cloud behind it was just the exhaust fumes being illuminated by the sun as the rocket got to a high enough altitude to pass out of earth's shadow. Also, the 'explosion' in the cloud behind the rocket was just a stage seperating off of the rocket.

Here is an example of the above.
>https://youtu.be/6EbBij-Vrtk?t=3m5s
>>
File: 1415074393620.jpg (151 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1415074393620.jpg
151 KB, 612x612
>>55268619
Wow you sure showed me for using an reaction image on a hispanic decorative pottery exchange internet channel.
I guess that means you're not completely retarded after all!
>>55268625
It's infinitely more likely than any of the retarded alternative explanations I've been seeing offered.
>>
>>55268567
Its basic NBC training. If you can hold your thumb out at arms length and cover a nuclear detonation youre far enough away (approx 300 miles)to be safe from most radiation.
>>
>>55268830
now think about what you just said.
>>
>>55268782
x tier shit? I posted a picture of a fucking explosion the sizeof which cant be explained that I saw first hand. The media first reported it as a near miss and then retracted the story and said it was a missile test. Does the PIC LOOK LIKE A GODDAMN MISSILE TEST? Goddamn crooked tooth fuck.
>>
>>55268782
Video of the event everyone's freaking out about:
>https://youtu.be/yu7mNmqJJ10

Here's another example if the exhaust being lit up and the end of the rocket being seperated off in a final stage (skip to 1:05):
>https://youtu.be/Bsx67wSPSo4
>>
File: 1310409026432.jpg (17 KB, 401x373) Image search: [Google]
1310409026432.jpg
17 KB, 401x373
>>55265792
>but i know better I was watching it through binoculars.
>>
>>55268285
>Joe ''Blaze it 420'' Rogan talked about this on one of my podcasts and it really opened my eyes
Hi Joe,didnt know you were visiting Canada!
>>
>>55268975
>didn't watch the video
Wow gee how unexpected.
>>
>>55268975
When the exhaust trail is high enough to spread over the upper atmosphere for over a hundreds of miles and when the sun is close enough to the horizon like in the event, yes it would look like that. It's like how in the evenings you can see low earth orbit satellites fade out of view as they go into the earth's shadow. This whole event is like clouds being illuminated in the evening, but over a mich larger area and at a much higher altitude.

It literally isn't possible for it to be an asteroid intercept. A single missile hitting a massive fucking asteroid thats hurtling towards earth at 50000 mph wpuldn't do shit, it wouldn't even even make a dent in the surface, even if it was nuclear. A comventional missile being used to stop an asteroid would be like trying to stop a train using a single mosquito.
>>
disapointment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTQn3ysMhsE
>>
>>55269486
So the pic I posted isnt just an enormous explosion rapidly spreading out across the skies with a shockwave in front of it? Thats exactly what I saw last night.
>>
>>55265792
We don't have the capability of detecting small meteors with enough forewarning to intercept and destroy them.

Narrow-angle radar detection can accurately detect and tract objects hundreds of thousands of kilometers away, but you have to know where to point the detector ahead of time and when (you already have to know roughly where the object is going to be) - that's not the case with small meteors.

Wide angle radar detection is really only effective at detecting objects a couple hundred kilometers from the surface.

Most impactors that reach earth are travelling on the order of 20 km/s so that really only buys you about 10 seconds to:
- Detect
- Verify
- Determine the object's trajectory
- Calculate an intercept
- Launch a missile
- Intercept
>>
>>55269641
Funny how they never show what happens after that WHICH IS IN THE PIC I POSTED.
>>
>>55269664
It's the exhaust of the missile in the upper atmosphere (viewed from behind the missile) expanding outward.
>>
File: venkman.jpg (141 KB, 1600x1040) Image search: [Google]
venkman.jpg
141 KB, 1600x1040
>>55268625
>of the one in the pic
>in OP's pic
>pic
>implying genuine photograph
>>
File: intercept.png (2 KB, 360x233) Image search: [Google]
intercept.png
2 KB, 360x233
>>55269736
pic related, some sample intercepts for detection of an object at 200 km travelling at 20 km/s, and a cruise missile fired at 2 km/s.

If it takes more than five seconds to detect, calculate, and fire - even a missile that's launched directly in front of the meteor's trajectory won't be able to intercept higher than about 9 km (~30,000 ft) up. And even if the intercept could be calculated and launched instantaneously your best intercept is barely twice that height.
>>
>>55269758
But they do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu7mNmqJJ10
Note that this is from a different angle than your OP picture and looks very different.
>inb4 NO THEY CUT OFF THE PART I'M TALKING ABOUT
Nope, that's the entirety of it. They even film the exhaust slowly fading.
>>
>>55269758
ITS A CONSPIRACY GUISE!
>>
>>55269931
http://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/mysterious-light-in-tucsons-western-sky-is-from-missile-test-over-pacific-ocean

It is. The great news is that OP will now die of cancer due to radiation exposure.
>>
>>55265792
I was in the Gila Forest in New Mexico and saw something like that.
>>
>>55270050
>http://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/mysterious-light-in-tucsons-western-sky-is-from-missile-test-over-pacific-ocean
Explain the picture of the explosion right after thats in the pic. You can even see the shock wave that emanated out from it.
>>
>>55269664
It wouldn't be an explosion. A nuclear device large enough to completely vaporise even a sub-mile meteor travelling 20km/s would be the largest nuclear detonation mankind has ever seen. It would be a blinding flash the would destroy all satellites in the area and it would then EMP half of the USA.

Granted, what you saw was expanding rapidly outwards, but it wasn't an explosion. It was the exhaust trail of the rocket being illuminated by the sun as it dispursed rapidly through the upper atmosphere. The shockwave, from all of the footage I've seen, was the temporary pause in thrust caused by the stage seperation. The 'pause' caused by the lack of thrust seemed to expand outwards at the same speed as the rest of the exhaust, like some kind of shadow.

By the way, did you take any more photos? It seems like you had an incredibly wide view of the incident from where you were, it'd be cool to see some more of it.
>>
>>55270513
So the gasses from a rocket expand as big as the pic? A 500 mile wide gaseous cloud that expands like an explosion not varying in speed?
>>
>>55270483
It's possible that it's because it's either a bad camera shot, the camera exposure was so high that the 'shockwave' could not be seen, or that after some time the gas cloud merged together due to high winds at such a high altitude, so the shockwave simply disappeared.
>>
>>55271041
I saw it in person.It looked just like an explosion. Just like in the pic and it expanded incredibly fast. Fast enough that we thought we were done for.
>>
>>55271193
Could you put your thumb over the whole thing?
>>
>>55270817
It appears so. A lot of what comes out if a rocket exhaust is actually water vapour due to it using liquid hydrogen and oxygen as propelant. So after the gas has sufficiently cooled it forms ice crystals that expand outwards and can aopear very bright in sunlight even at such low densities die to how reflective they are.

The pic in the OP actually remunded me of something I found a while ago called 'noctilucent clouds', which are around the same make-up, size and altitude as the exhaust from the rocket. They form in the mesosphere over polar regions and can only be seen when the lower layers of the atmosphere are covered by earth's shadow.

>pic related is a noctilucent cloud
>>
>>55271559
The main difference however between noctilucent cloids and a rocket exhaust is obviously that the exhaust is more uniform due to it being created by a single source evenly in all directions. Noctilucent clouds form unevenly over a wide area and have had more time to have been shaped by turbulance.
>>
>>55271228
I saw it in Nor Cal
it looked like a helicopter shining its spotlight just on you.
it streaked accross the sky or curvature of the earth and then looked like it went upwards until it looked like a star but the glow around it was quite unusual. The residue THE OBJECT left in the sky, glowed for quite awhile. A weird blue color that looked like a glow from a sports stadium or something
>>
>>55271193
Sounds like it was a hell of a sight. Did it get any dimmer as it expanded or did it stay roughly the same brightness? Also, where abouts did you see it from? If it was sufficiently far away it wouldn't appear to expand as fast as if it would have if you were directly underneith it in California.
>>
>>55271752
So you didn't see it explode? Shame.
>>
>>55271752
Sounds exactly like this footage (skip the intro it's annoying).
>https://youtu.be/yu7mNmqJJ10
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 685x474) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 685x474
it was a trident missile
>>
>>55271923
It stayed the same brightness for over 30 seconds. Than got dimmmer as it flew away from earth.
I was in the hills near my house
>>55271938
No explosion
>>
File: hqdefault (24).jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (24).jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>55268285
>Space seems like a good place to test nuclear devices. I mean at some point they're going to become so powerful that it would be impractical to test them on or near earth.
No, no it's really not.

First off, nuclear explosions don't happen the same way in space that they do on Earth. A lot of the devastation caused by a nuclear blast is due the fact that there's air and matter in the path of the explosion that superheats and, in many ways, adds to the chain reaction.

In vacuum, there is no blast, just a huge release of hard gamma rays that travel a lot further. It isn't actually nearly as dangerous, in terms of physical force...

...if not for that whole EMP effect wiping out everything electronic for tens of thousands of miles around on the surface, let alone what it does to everything in orbit.

And nuclear missiles aren't getting more powerful - they are getting less powerful. Most nuclear missiles are tactical, not strategic, and that's where most of the research is focused - ie. finding practical military uses for them that are localized enough not to incite a MAD response - bunker busting, and the like. The largest nuclear bomb ever, the Tsar, was set off in 1961, and no one's built anything close to it since the 60's.
>>
So does anybody have a plausible reason why this test happened?

It doesn't make sense to me why the navy perform a submarine missile launch right off the coast of the largest metropolitan in the western states.

What sign or message is America trying to send or what are they preparing for that we don't know? They're literally diverting all airplane flights from LAX for this test
>>
>>55273382
>step 1. Normalise ridiculous "test" explosions in the sky
>step 2. Now explode things for real
>profit???
>>
>>55268285
>Space seems like a good place to test nuclear devices.

Oh? and how are you gonna get those nuclear devices into orbit?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.