[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What energy alternatives are there to oil and do we need to seriously
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: oil.jpg (4 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
oil.jpg
4 KB, 259x194
Hi Pol,

I have an economics question about this. Should we consider energy alternatives or not?

Thanks
>>
Hydrogen from water via electrolysis
>>
>>55223465
>build generator that runs on mechanical rotations
>attach it to a bike and storage
>pedal for hours
>???
>free electricity for the household

Idk about large vehicles though, using electricity for it would be too expensive.
>>
>>55223465
We found that we have enough reserves to last us much longer than we previously thought so for the time being we are alright. But of course we need to consider alternate sources because fossil fuels are a limited source of energy.

That's all there is to it.
>>
Huge structrues around the sun that are so big it makes Jupiter look like small time behavior.

Or at least that's what I heard.
>>
realistically there are no viable alternatives to oil, researching it is a waste of time
>>
>>55224412
I've researched this a bit. One advantage is the reduced ocean level we'd achieve, however with that comes increased salinity and acidification of the ocean
>>
>>55223465
Fusion could solve all our power needs, but needs a couple of decades to come about properly. In the mean time just use the oil that still is aplenty.
>>
>>55223465
>Should we consider energy alternatives or not?
They will come.when they are ready.
Right now oil and coal and natural gas are the cheapest and most economically efficient.

When they aren't theh will be quickly replaced just as how they came into use
>>
>>55224601
We won't be around to see those. I think OP means energy sources for humans.
>>
>>55223465
Thorium has not been further research here and implemented. We could have small electrical stations across our country with thorium and it would be much safer than the huge uranium ones.
>>
Hydrogen from water through fusion
>>
>>55223465
Of course, although exploiting is not the correct word. Eventually a more cost efficient alternative will come along and oil will be relegated to the production of plastics. For now it remains the most efficient and portable fuel for most applications.
>>
We could always burn Indians instead of oil.
>>
>>55224666
Well if the electricity grid ever goes down, I guess he'll have a fun time trying every alternative.

Potential energy = mass times how far you move it upward, all constants aside. So you could for instance pump water out of the ground into an above-head storage facility. Then you could have running water or hydroelectric power as the situation dictates. Might even be comfy warm water if you paint your tank black etc.
>>
So, what you guys are saying that are different options but it would be a waste time?
>>
>>55224637
>I've researched this a bit.
Have you done any math on the subject? You will barely ever notice the water level difference in the oceans due to electrolysis.

Products of electrolysis are hydrogen and oxygen, which when burned for energy, combine to form water again.

Do the math to figure out how much energy is contained in hydrogen form if you converted the top 1cm of ocean surface water into hydrogen and oxygen, then compare that to the world's yearly gasoline consumption.
>>
>>55224784
There are very strong, long lasting plastics, like ABS, or even better Celazole that could be kept avaialble at moderate costs as oil becomes scarcer by focusing oil production on supplying them. Keep using more oil for automobiles and the price of these plastics goes through the roof faster than gasoline and a lot of things such as synthetic heart valves that can last 40 years stop happening. But, America will still have plenty of corn starch based plastic bags for the apparently vital grocery store to landfill in three days average supply chain...
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.