[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>get STEM degree >no good job prospects >not even making
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
>get STEM degree
>no good job prospects
>not even making enough money to live on my own
>I'd have to get an MSc and PhD to make as much as people who went to community college for two years

Was it all a lie?
>>
File: 1444745097657.jpg (48 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1444745097657.jpg
48 KB, 600x600
>Falling for the STEM meme
>Falling to your death
>>
>>55222540
Even with a PhD, good luck finding a job.
What's your field?
>>
>getting a STEM degree when you're neither Indian nor Chinese

well you fucked up, son
>>
>>55222540
kinda like Sherlock
>>
He should have just started a business
>>
>>55222540
I feel bad for them because they could easily move to a lower cost of living country and benefit them greatly, and not only that but the people need you more there and so they respect you more.

To anyone reading that is overqualified for their job and doesn't know what to do, just remember there is an entire world out there that isn't the EU, the UK/U.S/anglosphere etc that would be glad to have you.
>>
>>55222540
>phd in physics
>not at all bad looking
>commits suicide after getting call center job

yeah no, he had more troubles in his head than outside of it
probably didn't want to relocate to get a job or whatever
>>
>Actually buying the STEM/trades meme

this is just sad
>>
>>55222540
>fell
Obvious suicide.

This is what happens to our best and brightest in 2015.

College is a fucking joke now anyways. Unless you want to go into medicine, law, or engineering DON'T GO.
>>
This is like 70% of Reddit and at least a decent chunk of 4chan. A bunch of faggoty, Bernie-loving college students will no idea they will go from graduation directly into retail or fast food.
>>
>>55222540
why didn't he try becoming a professor? it isn't the best job but certainly more respectable than working at a call center
>>
>>55222815
Yes. this is why instead of funding "FREE COLLEGE HURRDURR" (yes because taxing people even more makes it so 'free' right?) we should be funding "free" vocational/trade training... you know the stuff that actually matters and gets you a fuckin' job. Maybe they should just start having those at universities so society doesn't look down upon them as "blue collar uneducated".

The fact is in most of the world a degree doesn't mean shit. In Indonesia you get a degree and you work as a taxi driver or at the restaurant the majority of the times. Society needs tangible things more than others and tangible things are things like construction, plumbing, electricity, food, etc.

My job is adequately paid but it has nothing to do with my degree, I could also have been doing it with a high school education but they raise the bar to weed out people.
>>
>>55222948
>implying you can waltz into being a professor, or any job for that matter
>implying he chose call center over being a professor
>>
Why do people think that they will get anything outside of college without networking/connections? In my opinion the only reason to get a degree is to gain the confidence to sell yourself as more capable than someone without one.
>>
>>55222540
I'm pretty much in the same boat.
>5 years of uni
>cs degree
>mad student debt
>working at a convenience store because no jobs
at least the chick i'm working with is kinda hot...
>>
>>55222540
This makes my blood boil. I'm a fucking ignorant piece of shit, but I recognize the value of people like him. Meanwhile, all the other pieces of shit like me would line up to give a blowjob to some random football player they idolize. Fuck this gay earth
>>
>>55222540
>getting a PhD
>not going into academia

that's where it all went wrong

also
>not getting job experience first before going for masters
You are literally shooting yourself by coming out overqualified for most entry level jobs. Companies won't hire you because they fear that you won't stick around and will simply leave the moment you have earned enough experience.
>>
>>55222637
Biology (Botany)
>>
>>55222540

Yes.

Muh College Degree is being pushed on kids to flood the workforce with overly qualified candidates.

Employers can pay lower salaries, and their workers will be happy just to be employed.

Only 10% of the people in uni today should actually be there.
>>
>>55222774
Probably right since he could easily get a job in other countries, but would probably still get played less than he expected and learn a new language/culture (some whose work ethics could be considered slave like).
>>
>Graduates from American college can't get jobs
>Sanders makes it free for everyone
>Everyone has a college degree now
>Magically this helps them somehow

If someone is so stupid that they can't realize the fact that what makes a college degree worth something is its scarcity should they be gassed?

If everyone is special, NO ONE is special.
>>
>>55222540
>believeing a worthless piece of paper from a country club is a free ticket to a good job.
>>
>>55223281

Start a tree farm, or move to CAD and get rich selling 'weed lmao'
>>
>>55223181
Capitalism 101. I am not advocating for another system since it'd likely be worse, but those soccer players are paid what they're worth in marketing value and the huge money they get from sponsors, tv broadcasts, merchandise, etc.

There's also much fewer people who can be a LeBron James than a PhD physics holder too.

Supply and demand, market pays them what they're worth (actually "underpaid" sometimes).

as a result we have created a society which puts entertainers such as athletes musicians and actors on a pedestal over people who make new breakthroughs in energy or in farming, water, etc things that we rely upon heavily.
>>
File: 1404416851983.png (45 KB, 193x167) Image search: [Google]
1404416851983.png
45 KB, 193x167
>Reading University
>>
File: LE_FUNNY_9GAG_MEME_XD.png (208 KB, 836x464) Image search: [Google]
LE_FUNNY_9GAG_MEME_XD.png
208 KB, 836x464
WHAT THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH MY LIFE IF EVERYTHING IS A MEME
>>
>>55223281
Biology is probably the worst STEM degree. Neuroscience major here myself.

Job market is saturated with people who didn't get into medical school and work in labs for $9/hr.
>>
>>55223400
I'm not saying to go out and do some stupid shit, commit crimes. What I'm trying to tell you is, do what the fuck you want. Stand for what the fuck you believe in, and don't let nobody tell you can't do what the fuck you want. I'm a fucking unicorn, and fuck anybody who say I'm not. Wolf Gang
>>
>>55223281
I've heard that biology major, even with a MSc, have a hard time finding jobs around here. ( I'm from quebec, I don't know for other provinces)
>>
>>55223400
the only way to win in life is by any means necessary.
>>
>>55223281
BOTANY HAHAHAAHAHA
>>
>>55222815
>4chan
>bernie loving
Is that why every bernie thread on this site is filled with support for him
>>
21 and still undecided what to go in university for, haven't joined yet because of everything I read about most degrees being useless. anyone have any advice for me? I like science shit.
>>
>>55223808
>I like science shit.
Define this because it's extremely vague
>>
>>55222540
The only thing a PhD qualifies you for is applying for the jobs that other PhD holders have. Look at the other candidates in the department you're in. Do you do better than them in classes? Do you have better research than they do? Are your conference papers better? Do you have more publications than them? Does your adviser introduce you to better colleagues than theirs do? If the answer to these questions is no, then you're PhD is going to be worthless. If the answer to these questions is yes, then you have a chance.

And it's this way for all fields. A PhD in Gender Studies or one of the many fields that gets laughed at here can get you a good job if you kick ass at what you do.
>>
>>55223808
just go for the experience and I recommend learning a trade on the side while you're there so if you don't get a job in college you can at least make money.
>>
>>55222540
>I'd have to get an MSc and PhD to make as much as people who went to community college for two years

Good meme, if you don't have a 4 year degree you're FUCKED and will never advance past a mere technician
>>
>>55222540
Guy is a nutjob.
Hes like that one guy i knew who offed himself.
Cause he wasn't #1 in hes last year in school.
>>
>>55223808
Go to university because you aren't getting any younger.

I'm not guaranteeing that the uni degree will do you much good, but there are tons of things that require a degree down the road. And you don't want to be 28, finally figure out what you want to do and then be unable to because you need to spend 4 years in school.
>>
>>55223849
I lean more towards biology and genetics, but from what I've read its a completely over saturated and useless degree nowadays..

>>55223872
Good advice, and yea I agree college is a great experience.
>>
>>55223338
Yes, but all of that does not make for a logical or rational reason to kill yourself.

>>55223855
I mean I myself am aiming for a PhD at this point, but if the opportunity arises, for example, to work at Google, in my field, then I'll take that chance over continuing my education, as that experience will probably be worth heaps and heaps more.
>>
>>55222948
>why didn't he try becoming a professor? it isn't the best job

Being a professor is the best job for someone in his shoes. Pure science PhDs like Physics or Math have almost no other use than becoming a professor. Very few other jobs allow them to continue their research.
>>
>>55223808
Experience is king above everything else ask any professor and they all say the same thing.
Which is to get an internship/job in the field you want and to network.
Being over qualified is a kiss if death in a lot of jobs since it's a real possibility you will leave, but having experience can open a lot of doors for you.
Also lie a bit, but lie to the point of you being able to back up the lie and make it a truth if needed .
>>
>>55223855
>then you're
fucked up there
then your*
>>
>>55223036

>you know the stuff that actually matters and gets you a fuckin' job.

Yeah, while theu psychologically destroy western Women to not touch a guy that works with his hands. I'd rather leech than go blue collar deal with stupid American cunts and their vanity.
>>
File: 1446500216393.jpg (23 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1446500216393.jpg
23 KB, 400x400
>mfw spent 4 years with a fully paid scholarship and got a nursing degree, now working on world class hospital/specialized program in NA
>>
>>55223338
>but would probably still get played less than he expected and learn a new language/culture (some whose work ethics could be considered slave like)

This is a really toxic thought most people have, if you have a STEM degree even a graduate degree.

You can always find work in Asia Europe big commercial cities and live the expat high life you couldn't imagine in your home town.

And it shines really well on your CV if you can show, you have worked in different countries.
>>
>>55224162
I'm not familiar with the Dutch university system, but generally once you've reached the point where you're finished with classwork and you're writing the dissertation most departments encourage applicants to take any job offered with the caveat that you shouldn't neglect to actually finish writing the dissertation.
>>
>>55224366
real women respect guys who know how to work with their hands because it's usually something they don't know how to do. and not all of them are tards. a handful of degree positions for those in construction or building in general.

is Western society crumbling in general? we can't only function during economic "booms", this is the problem when there is 1 good job for every 100 people and the 99 others either have a shit job or drop out of society. people feel better when they feel their skills are put to use and bettering society, even if all they get out of it is a decent place to live, decent food, etc. Not to mention it is said around a 3rd of the budget is spent on entitlements including welfare and stuff like that.

Sanders is most definitely not the answer, I am going for Trump based on fiscal purposes. but if you look around the world only the resource heavy and manufacturing heavy are the ones prospering like China and some Middle Eastern countries with a liberal enough government. or they're very small like Singapore where they can properly allocate everything.
>>
>>55224377
I just stated some common reasons I see a lot.
Some people don't want to go to a whole new culture and be forced to learn a new language and local customs.
>>
>>55224493
I'm not quite sure what the procedure here is either, to be honest. A bachelor's is 3 years of classes, with a big project at the end of those. Master's is 2 years, with a project at the end of those, too. Obviously a PhD consists mainly of writing a dissertation, but I'm quite sure there are other things involved as well, maybe more classes. I'm not sure.

I'd imagine I'd've been given the same advice, had I started a PhD recently.
>>
>>55222540
>live in fucking kekland
>die like a kek
>>
File: 8FbmrWv.jpg (609 KB, 2893x2677) Image search: [Google]
8FbmrWv.jpg
609 KB, 2893x2677
Why do you faggots read a headline and then immediately make up your own conclusion without thinking it through.

Do you seriously think you can't get a decent job when you have a fucking PhD in physics AND you're a qualified engineer?
Holy fuck. The entire article just focuses on this narrative that he killed himself because he couldn't get a job. Do you really think it's that simplistic?
Who the fuck knows. Maybe he was autistic and everytime he went for an interview he shit himself in front of the employer. Maybe he was just depressed for other reasons.

There's obviously something else that was wrong with him.

Either way, fuck him. Suicide is degenerate as fuck. It's weak. Anyone who kills himself whilst there are still people in his life who love him are cunts.
>>
>>55224567
Yea, even here i see a lot of American programmer Anons here.
Yapping about not finding a job due to Indians in their state.

In Asia they can easily find a job there and live like a literal king and live the high life.
And most countries you just need to know English even in a city like Munich.
>>
so STEM>Arts eg law?
>>
>>55223380

>economics are human nature

I want this meme to end, microeconomics is just behaviorism applied
>>
>>55223380
I've heard the same argument from fans and I can't disagree with you, and even if I want you to be wrong I know your arguments are spot on. There is a just something wrong with the very foundations of modern society. Are people this stupid and oblivious of the panem and circenses ploy?
>>
He could find a job in a lot of countries, a guy with PHd can learn, for sure, another language, man, what a waste
>>
>>55222540
I actually feel bad for the guy
Not a funny meme
>>
>>55222724
>Would be glad yo have you.
Like what country, exactly?
>>
File: guile-head-shake-o.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
guile-head-shake-o.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>uni
>expecting steady job besides teacher
If you don't have money or connections, you will be expected to bounce all over the place doing short projects. No-one wants to commit to paying uni-level wages, even with reputation and experience.
>>
>>55222540
They need immigrants who work for less money and can be exchanged with useful naive hard working labour, EU is now over-flooded with them. Bosses can literally find any useful idiot they want, i know people who hired 100 or more people with only 3 employed at max.
>>
>>55224885
I'm on the path to having a PhD(no.. not a joke thing like gender studies or something), though I am not an engineer.

I have already started learning basic Chinese because I've accepted I won't ever get a decent paying job in my field and job markets available to me.

China will pay me 4x what they'll pay me here and who knows how long it will last but I'll be there the majority of the year since I can actually have the livelihood I feel I deserve and worked for. It'll boost my resume as well.
>>55225265
Not that guy but for me personally China. A western person with no education would probably make more there than most people here would being a researcher. It's insane. But you have to connect and socialize with many in that boat.
>>
A PhD isn't a ticket to shit. During mine some of my fellow postgrads worked as cleaners, waiters, and in call centers and I worked in a bakery.. toughen the fuck up.
>>
>>55222540
was he a manlet?
>>
>>55223172
Either a paki or gook. Go home fag.
>>
File: diversity.jpg (241 KB, 780x1182) Image search: [Google]
diversity.jpg
241 KB, 780x1182
>>55222540
Wrong skin color.
>>
File: 1419082918153.png (338 KB, 557x385) Image search: [Google]
1419082918153.png
338 KB, 557x385
>>55222540
>GED
>hop around job to job
>start doing contract work
>shit's great
>like holy shit what the fuck why doesn't everyone doing this
>have enough money to buy up several lots around town
>buy 2 acres outside the city but know for a fact will be developed in the next two years
>currently in the process of getting my home built and several other homes built that will be rented out
>mfw no student dept

College is a scam. Pure and simple. Same with the last two years of High School. Reason I went ahead and took my GED at 16 instead.
>>
>>55225684
and you could still later on go on to learn core subjects at a cheaper price if you ever felt like you were missing out on math knowledge or something, or just want to be around certain people.

khan academy is pretty damn good though and I used it during my studies since it was often easier to understand than whatever they gave us.
>>
>People with practical training in essential services get good jobs
orly
>>
>>55225684
>t. basement NEET
>>
File: gold homer.gif (179 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
gold homer.gif
179 KB, 375x375
>Be me in high school
>Newspaper publishes a list of the most understaffed and overstaffed professions in the country
>Pick the one I liked more out of the understaffed list
>Choking with laughter inside everytime a friend told me they will go for one of the overstaffed professions
>Job offers raining on me before even graduating
>Paid over the minimum wage just fresh out of college with zero experience
>Raises every year and each year my job offers get better
Man, feels good not falling for the STEM meme.
The problem today is that everybody wants to work pushing papers in an office with A/C and ergonomic chairs, nobody wants to lift their ass, go ouside and actually do things.
>>
>>55222540
shit's only going to get worse. Economy is about to torn open as AI gets sophisticated enough to take over huge chunks of the job market.

Either adopt basic income, or watch society fall to ruins
>>
File: 1284499656907.jpg (34 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1284499656907.jpg
34 KB, 256x256
>>55222540
its not a lie in itself.
stem is needed everywhere.
what they dont tell you is no one needs a snot nosed rooke that just graduated and has no exerpience past a few shitty "internships".
people want 5+ years hands on experience.
those jobs are plenty and good people are few.
the beginner jobs are overcrouded though. you dont actually need to go to unit to get a stem job. you can start out as code monkey or webdesigner which you can easily selfteach.
pick up a good programming book and power through it and always practice so you dont forget and put all your shit online on github or something so you can actually show that you know your shit and then you are already more employable than 70% of cs grads.
>>
File: 1358028326832.jpg (88 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
1358028326832.jpg
88 KB, 768x768
>did co-op interviews last spring, got rejected by everyone
>did more this semester, due date to pick who I work for is the 10th
>nobody of the 8 companies I interviewed with gave me an offer yet
>one company rejected me the same day via email

I suspect I'm a supersperg or something, goddamn.
>>
>>55222540
Yep it is

>friend of mine, mechanical engineer, good grades
>1 year jobless
>now working as an administrative employee, average salary
>now he's applying for a MBA
>know a guy who only did the CCNA, never got a job, never worked until his late 20's, probably early 30's
>immediate job, earning 17000 pesos (is above average here)

And there are no programming indians or chinese here.
>>
>He fell for the STEM MEME
>THE FUCKING STEM MEME

Son, either you get yourself a vagina, or you accept life in fast food service industry.
>>
>>55222797
>law
Lawyer here, legal field is still suffering. For the second year in a row bar passage rates fell, imagine going through all that, racking up $200k in debt... and you're still not a lawyer.

I have good grades from a top-10 school. Right now I'm doing a 1-year clerkship, will probably be able to get something afterwards but I had wanted to go into the public sector which just isn't hiring. It's also not a very portable job. Most places will only hire you if you already have geographic connections; e.g., if you've never lived in California, there is little chance of getting a job in California.
>>
File: 457657453657.jpg (76 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
457657453657.jpg
76 KB, 709x765
>tfw I fell for the trades meme
>tfw people only apprentice their friends and family
>>
is CS a meme degree?

or will I get a job?
>>
>>55226354
Depends where you are looking for work and what exactly you're trying to do.

I've been out of the workforce a long time and looking for "computer jobs" whether it'd be IT, web, programming, whatever. Not sure where I should be looking. It doesn't help I live in a factory town. I never see jobs posted online, but they must be hiring people with these skills somehow...
>>
>>55223808
Carpentry,electrician,plumber,mechanic
>>
>>55223281
design a weed blight disease and extort trudeau for a handsome ransom
>>
>tfw 3rd year economics major
>tfw I'll become another unemployed loser like everyone else
>>
>>55226354
I didn't get shit with my degree but I think I'm the exception. Couldn't say, my classmates hated me and hated where we lived and were a bunch of tumblr-tier faggots so they all moved to the Pacific Northwest. God knows what they're doing now. I stayed put and now I'm a NOC tech after over 2 years of pedestrian entry level bullshit.
>>
>>55223808
Look for a list of what jobs are the most needed in your area, instead of asking for advise from people as clueless as you.
>>
>>55226332
at least we didnt fall for the STEM meme, and ended up in debt
>>
>>55226332
Do you got a trade degree
Or are you still working on the trade?
>>
File: 1433842861473.jpg (168 KB, 553x936) Image search: [Google]
1433842861473.jpg
168 KB, 553x936
>tfw have a comfy retail sales job where i get rewarded for my performance on top of base pay that keeps me busy and funds a comfortable enough bachelor lifestyle that i got after literally walking into the store and shaking the manager's hand
>tfw studying part-time on government money as well, because maybe one day the qualification will be useful to me and it's not like i have to worry about the debt because i only have to pay it back once my income is above a certain amount
It feels good to live in the greatest country in the world.
>>
>>55222540
>Was it all a lie?
Of course.
>>
>>55223036
>economy is so broken that vocational education is more in demand than higher education
Top fucking kek. Sounds like education is what you need more of.
>>
I'm in the same boat and I'm going to China to teach chemistry or biology.
>>
>mfw i fell for the stem meme
>graduated with honors in computer science
>100k offer right out of undergrad at fortune 50 software company
>170k after bonus and vested stock just one year later

Can't believe I fell for this ruse.
>>
File: 1390953837919.jpg (69 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1390953837919.jpg
69 KB, 500x500
>>55222540
just because you understand physics doesn't mean you have a clue what to do with the knowledge
>>
>>55226332
It's not a meritocracy in any field it seems.
>>
>was it all a lie

The Universities never lied to you. They never promised you some super job after you graduated, they only gave you the education that you paid for.

You have never worked before, you didn't collect degrees to match your work experience, marketable skills and current career prospects. You ran your own race and now you are being held to account.

Maybe if you were smart enough to get those degrees you'd have the common sense to figure out that you don't do a job unless you get what the job is meant to accomplish from the beginning.
>>
>>55222540

For fucks sake don't go into even more debt you idiot. I've never understood why the reaction among graduates who can't find a job right away is "HURR MORE SCHOOL MORE DENBTS." 4 years in the workforce gaining real-world experience is going to be far more valuable than 4 more years and a Masters.

Just keep looking, there are jobs out there.
>>
>>55226827
Vocational stuff like car mechanics take less college then working in a lab
The starting pay these days is the same

Also no matter how much affirmative actiin there is
You will see only 98 percent of mechanics being white or hispanic men

Black men dont like hard work
>>
File: 1421859592383.png (1 MB, 720x990) Image search: [Google]
1421859592383.png
1 MB, 720x990
>>55222540
>Be medfag
>There is like one or two hospitals (actual motherfucking hospitals not big ass clinics) per state
>Hospitals don't hire new doctors and don't let them out until they are old as fuck
>Each doctor works in two or three hospitals or some clinic
>There are limited places to get specialties
>The government recently thought it was a good idea to force medschools to accept 500 to 1000 students instead of a few hundred like they have always do
>Shit is so bad every mediocre retard is working for 3$ per medical consultation in some shitty pharmacy
I should get into something else.
>>
>>55226975
Do graduates think they are going to get a 100k a year job upon graduating with no prior work experience whatsoever?

Fuck, at least work a temp job or at a restaurant or something to have some work experience on a resume. They're not going to hire someone who never worked a day in their life.
>>
>>55222540

>fell

nigga quit lying, he jumped
>>
>>55226184
>if you've never lived in California, there is little chance of getting a job in California.

Curious to know, does it count as living there if you went to law school there?
>>
>>55226975
>you don't do a job unless you get what the job is meant to accomplish from the beginning.
>t. forrest gump
>>
>>55227039
You work in a pharmacy?
Have you ever taken testoprim-d?
>>
File: gpZwR.png (29 KB, 591x422) Image search: [Google]
gpZwR.png
29 KB, 591x422
>>
>>55225474

>living in China

lmao

I give you 6 months before you either blow your browns out. Or, you know, just go back home. You never will, but even if you somehow magically mastered Mandarin and completely adapted to its culture, you're still a white man, and a white man will never be able to cope with the soulless, robotic hivemind of the chink.
>>
>>55227054
If your a hot woman with nice tits they will hire you with no work experience but not for a 100k a year

More like 15k-24k a year
>>
>>55222540
If everyone is telling you to do something, the chances are that it's full. Yes, college is over saturated.

You should have not gone for the most prestigious job that you could find, because everyone should is doing that, you dumb fuck.

Get some certificates, licenses and maybe squeeze a trade in.

Get to work.
>>
>>55227054
It's mostly STEM majors. They think that they can just get degrees forever and somehow they will step over all of the crap, boring, dead end, low paying jobs to get the good ones.

Most of these people believe that employers are just lining up for their education and it's a matter of picking and choosing based on money and 'lifestyle'.
>>
I got a Geography degree. Only hard classes were pre-calculus and statistics. It took about 2-3 years of contract work, but now I have a steady job working with engineers.
>>
>>55227236
We need more white men in the trades incase society collapses
>>
>tfw changing from deadend Science degree into Construction Project Management
>In my 3rd year and have already landed a job as a junior estimator+Jr project manager role.

Get into construction people. Always high paying jobs.
>>
>>55223383
>thoroughly 6.5/10 tier
>>
>>55222540
That face just screams "Fuck my life"
>>
what a dumbfuck
I bet he had a shitton of debt, and maybe a medical condition
>>
>>55227201
i was in china in for two weeks and i couldnt stand it too much longer for the simple fact that the pollution is so thick i only say the sun for about a total of 3 hours in the whole 2 week period i was there.
>>
>>55227339
Construction does not allways pay high
But you cant get replaced by niggers or women
They only can add one token woman or negroe to a job site
>>
>>55222540

PhD at 31? God damn, I finished my BS/MS in 5 years and had a Master's Thesis.... normally going through a PhD would take 10 years total assuming you didn't try to finish it quicker.
>>
>>55223172
>cs degree
>no job
what?!?!
oh wait youre canadian

just move down here, plenty of software jobs
>>
man im in law school right now and its fucking brutal out there. to get a position in a court you basically need to ace every course for 5 years.

ill probably get some IT degree though so i dont have to compete with 60 year old OLOF that has worked as a lawyer since he was 14 years old.
>>
>>55222540
All the foreigners are taking the jobs leaving graduates with nothing desu senpai
>>
>>55227104
Nah m8, right now I'm studying to be a cardiologist and no, why are you taking testosterone?
>>
File: neet1.png (550 KB, 300x468) Image search: [Google]
neet1.png
550 KB, 300x468
>>55222540
This is why I say "hyper intellectualism" is a threat on our generation. Hyper intellectualism is the opposite of anti-intellectualism. Its valuing education too much as a society.

There are a lot of Japanese men just like him. They spent their youth getting degrees, and then they have nothing to show for it. They either kill themselves or retreat to hikikimorism.

The West needs to go back to valuing people over paper.
>>
>>55227528
And all the 20-30 canadian college student support more immigrants
Its weird that people support the things that are bringing them down
>>
>>55222540

Physics degree is gender studies tier

I hope he reencarnates as an engineer
>>
>>55227534
Cardiologist pays alot in the u.s.
Not sure if a mexican doctorate is valid in the u.s.
>>
>>55227455
In Australia is does as long as you are willing to put in hard work and actually learn something while you are on the job and not just clock in and out.

Even if you are not studying it at uni, as long as you keep your eyes open and learn the trades around you, you can go very very far in construction.
>>
>>55227485
Plenty of software jobs in Canada too.

The reason he can't find a job is either extreme social awkwardness, low work ethic, no references, or incompetence displayed during interviews.
>>
>>55227543
The problem is that it's hard to evaluate people outside that paper, and many here would point out it's legally risky as well.

Seriously, I got a summer job through my mom and the paperwork they make you fill out is ridiculous. No wonder nobody wants to hire anyone.
>>
>>55227485
He needs to be a member of one of the higher Indian castes. These supposedly intellectual shitskins still care about their evil caste system.
>>
>>55227534
I like taking steroids just testoprim-d is harsh on the injection site
>>
>>55222540
plenty of job opportunities in stem. just not for white males (they're over qualified).
>>
>>55227695
It's not, we have to take a test and take the last year in one your medical schools.

But there is this idea that you get sued for the smallest mistake or just because in America, so many are quite hesitant to move.
>>
>>55227626
They were sold on immigration thanks to muh multiculturalism

The same idiots are all anti corporation, even though those corporations are the ones shipping them in en masse to exploit.
>>
File: 1444285732078.png (601 KB, 499x647) Image search: [Google]
1444285732078.png
601 KB, 499x647
>>55227543
The problem is people seem to be under the impression they can land a job with no internships or work-experience in their field of study.

If you think your stellar grades are going to land you that cushy job, you're a fucking moron. When you graduate all that you have a piece of paper saying you finished. No workplace will EVER ask you what your grades were or how well you did. The only thing they MIGHT care about is what relevant projects you worked. Outside of that, it's a piece of paper signifying you can achieve the bare minimum of the job requirements.

>I was always told this nightmare story if I didn't dedicate my whole life to a specific class I wouldn't find a job
>If my GPA wasn't a certain number, no one would care about me
>I land my first real job out of college making 80k + 15k in benefits (with other offers ranging from 70k to 100k) not because of my college degree, but because of my earlier internships.
>My college degree amounted to "Oh we just wanted to make sure you had it. We don't care about it though lol"
>>
>>55227926
Medical doctors get insurance for that reason in america
Cardiologist do make alot of money in my area and are in high demand
(Tons of old people with heart problems)
>>
>>55222540
No. You just need to network hard. Go to conferences. Make friends. Have collaborators.

PhD in Polymer Chemistry.
>>
A STEM degree just gives you a slightly better chance at a decent career. It's not a golden ticket. It's basically just a receipt unless you went to an Ivy League.

You're a fucking idiot if you honestly thought mommy and daddy paying for you to attend a mid tier university and get your "degree" in a field you only went into to "get rich" would actually guarantee you a 150k + paying job straight out of school. If it was really that easy everyone and their mother would have an engineering degree, which funnily enough, they all DO seem to have. Look at all the kids posting about their majors here. You honestly think they're all getting the good jobs just because of their education? There's only so many jobs out there.

The job market is flooded with people from third world counties who are willing to take a MUCH lower salary than you will.

We're a global economy now? Remember?
>>
>>55227933
Whats your degree in or are you still in school?
>>
>>55223281
Just work at a weed company. They're hiring.
>>
File: 1445043760962.png (377 KB, 527x629) Image search: [Google]
1445043760962.png
377 KB, 527x629
>>55228063
>>55228104
You can always tell whether a college has your back based on how many job/internship placement centers they have.

My school, which is top 10 in the country, left my high & dry on finding me an internship. The school that ranked like 50th in the country was what landed me my first serious internship.. which lead to a seriously high paying job.
>>
>>55226184
What law school did you go to? I'm looking at T10 also.
>>
>>55227982
>80k starting
>did a few internships

That's complete bullshit. If you were working part time for a few years while studying, then it's completely plausible.

>>55228063
Conferences are fucking awful for getting a job. Typically it's the people who have funding and the people who need funding. No one wants to spread their wealth and if they have some industry connection, they are using their own students to fill it.
>>
>>55223467
How is neuroscience compared to bio for jobs? (unless you were referring to neuroscience in 2nd line)
>>
>>55228316
2 Internships.

I work in software engineering. Graduated with a computer engineering degree. I make 80k as a senior developer (due to experience from internship). I'm also up for a raise in about 3 months.
>>
>>55228316
I didn't say conferences get you a job. They are for networking. That's where you meet people in your industry. You get contacts and put your self out there. That said though, I did get two interviews as a result of the last conference I went to. Good year in Fucking Ohio and applied materials in San Jose but only because I was charming as fuck.
>>
>>55227201
I've heard pretty good stuff about Shanghai. You never thought that maybe western press is downplaying a major power and competitor hardcore? There's a reason why people in Hong Kong are going into the mainland for work.
>>
>>55227982
>The problem is people seem to be under the impression they can land a job with no internships or work-experience in their field of study.

That's how it worked every other generation in human history. What your basically saying is a catch 22. "He needs to have work experience in physics and engineering, but the only work experience he can get is at a call center."

This guy can't go back in time and get work experience and internships, and on all of these "can't find a job" threads, there are a lot of posters saying "should have." Its demoralizing for young men to keep being told "should have" after they've gotten these degrees and society treats them like this.

I believe in the golden rule. "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." The baby boomer generation and gen X, the ones who do the hiring, are NOT following the golden rule when it comes to hiring generation Y. These people would not want to be told to give away labor and jump through all these hoops just to get a job, so why are they doing that to their children's generation? Society suffers when people don't follow the golden rule.
>>
>Falling for the STEM mem
>Not going to trade school instead to easily get jobs in the domain you studied for
LeL
>>
>>55228038
There is also the idea that health insurance companies have absolute control on what you do, as in, patient needs certain drug or study but I'm forced to prescribe this other where the insurance company can get more dosh.

How true is that? Or is just some tinfoil hat shit?
>>
>>55222540
this kid had the worst possible circumstances holy fucking shit being a useless neet wouldve been more favorable to him,
>>55222613
haha you're horrible
>>
>>55227039
Come here, we have a Doctor deficit. Specally specialists
>>
File: 1446943851579.png (82 KB, 238x250) Image search: [Google]
1446943851579.png
82 KB, 238x250
>job you interviewed for is reposted a month later
>>
>>55228635
Very true especially when dealing with medicare and obamacare
If the patient has bluecross blue shield health insurance then their are more options
>>
What kind of jobs are there for Physics PHD's anyway?

Unless you wanna do research dont get a PHD period. Hell, dont get an MS unless you worked 5+ years before, because its pointless in most cases.

You need luck to find a job yes, but dont postpone it by being a forever student like most people nowadays because you're just getting out of your 20s without much experience which makes it even harder later.

I'm 28 and I have 10 years of experience in my meme field and just getting my degree. But no one even gives a fuck if I have a degree but I just like university.

And I've worked with real retarded shits who had various "good degrees" yet we had to do their jobs as well because they were dumbasses.

Dont be that guy.
>>
>software development degree
>apply for web job in bank
>stay for 2 years
>go to another place
>stay for 2 years
>now i can inundated with offers constantly

Lifes pretty sweet, no offense i probably lucked out since i didn't really struggle to get those jobs.

I do well in interviews.
>>
>>55228983
Women in america get addicted to being forever students

The same trend is starting to happen to women in germany and canada
>>
File: 1444180230359.gif (2 MB, 249x337) Image search: [Google]
1444180230359.gif
2 MB, 249x337
>>55228548
Internships will literally hire you on if you're not completely retarded. The bar is already set incredibly low because most people entering internships were never fit for that major. Most internships are sink or swim. If you sink, move on and get a job at Starbucks. If you swim you just gained about 15 contacts and you can pick what company you want to work for.

When I graduated I had 4 major fortune 500's begging me to work for them. They flew me out to fucking Virginia and put me up in a 4 star hotel. That's the power of references.

And you can bitch & moan about how unfair it is, but when a company is primarily concerned with time to deployment/fielded product, your education is the lowest priority. You either walk in, on day one, being knowledgeable on industry standards or you fucking figure it out quick.

The most important thing is to know which co-worker is the "fountain of knowledge." Some people have been around long enough to know the game and can give you tips/round you out so you can keep yourself busy no matter what the changes in the winds brings for your industry. Just because you graduated doesn't mean you're done learning.

>reposted because I am the typo king tonight.
>>
Cromwell street in Kensington he definitely was paying top rent holy shit ...
>>
>>55228461
Your story doesn't add up for me.

My experience is that devs are paid shit all until they have done so many years of it that they are masters of code. They aren't close to seeing six figures until they are over 5 years in business.

Intern projects are usually easy but time consuming jobs that can be easily checked by senior staff members, so I doubt that would equate to a senior position after graduation even if you were able to do everything asked of you.

>>55228471
I've done the conference thing myself, I just found it to be politics, nepotism and the haves/have-nots.

Maybe it's different in the US. Certainly none of the Americans I've met here were forthcoming with opportunities at home for them.
>>
File: goodfellas_painting.jpg (694 KB, 757x939) Image search: [Google]
goodfellas_painting.jpg
694 KB, 757x939
>>55222540
>not even making enough money to live on my own

Superdumb for not learning diving and underwater welding.

You make over $400 an hour and this includes your extensive breaks. 3 hours work a day and decomp the rest of the time.
>>
>>55229023
Shit tell me about it. I stopped logging into Linkedin because I got motherfuckers from HP, Leidos, Raytheon, etc etc blowing up my fucking inbox. Fucking vultures just trying to snipe me for whatever little project they're recruiting for.. and then they dump you like the slut you are.
>>
File: 1443750434179.jpg (28 KB, 396x384) Image search: [Google]
1443750434179.jpg
28 KB, 396x384
>>55229133
OOOO VIRGINIA REALLY !?!?!
>>
>>55228548

You still have the ability to network and work low level jobs or internships as an adult who has graduated with a degree. There's nothing stopping you from building work experience.
>>
He'd be able to live if he moved to south london ...something sounds fishy
>>
>>55222540
>fell to his death
He most certainly did not fall
>>
>>55229212
this is largely true.

2-4 years your a mid-level developer

5+ you can put on your CV your a senior.
>>
>>55229212
>I just found it to be politics, nepotism and the haves/have-nots.

You have hit it.

It does piss me off to some extent. I have seen people that I doubt could tie their shoes get great jobs right out of gradschool because they cozied up to their advisor and their friends.
>>
>>55225614
Not really.
>>
>>55229212
Nah man. YOU'RE getting paid like shit. Hell I'm paid well for the area I live in. I got friends with family in SF making 6 figures their first quarter out of college. Sure I'd be making more if I moved, but I like not living in a liberal shithole.

If you've been in this line of work for more than 2 years and you're not scraping 6-figures, you're either shit or your company thinks you're shit.

I'm working client contracts and I literally got approached by my client to try and scoop me up at a higher pay grade.
>>
>Be White Male
>Major in Womens Studies and Black History
>Get professorship right out of college for 80k a year plus benefits
>Get told I'm stupid for not being a STEMfag by unemployed losers
>>
>>55229678
I make more than you and my mouth doesn't taste like black cock every morning.
>>
>>55225684
>contract work
like what? do you actually work on the projects or just manage them?
>>
>>55224885
Suicide is literally the most alpha thing you can do.

>Fuck what people think.
>Fuck the world.
>I'll do what I want with my life.

Living a shit life is like beta males who become man-bags just because they are too afraid to break up and be alone.
>>
Cheeky bastard, now the rest of us will have to pay off his student loan.
>>
>>55223400
you gotta become the meme
>>
>>55225796
>khan academy is pretty damn good though and I used it during my studies since it was often easier to understand than whatever they gave us.

Same bro, many times I learned more in a 15 khan vid than the corresponding 2 hours calculus lecture
>>
I have a mech eng degree and I work as a security guard. I get enough money for my needs, to just sit around playing vidya and shitposting. It's the best job I've done yet....
>>
>>55229495
This was the kind of shit that really left a bad taste in my mouth after leaving academia. You work your arse off for years to see every professor whoring themselves out to whoever to hold onto a job and put their people forward.

Hopefully it's over for you soon.

>>55229576
>If you've been in this line of work for more than 2 years and you're not scraping 6-figures, you're either shit or your company thinks you're shit.

Or, the market is completely flooded with talent that no one is paying that much money for someone who isn't a solid prospect demonstrated by years of experience in reputable companies doing difficult jobs that justifies their investment.

If you are telling the truth, more power to you, but the story you are telling is not the story of your profession and your advice really doesn't count for much then which is the point of you being in this thread.
>>
>went to college
>got a joke BA degree
>fell into a career in sales

Now making anywhere between 200 and 450 dollars an hour for basically talking to people.

Feels good, man.
>>
>>55222637
particle physics/data science
>>
>>55222797
Law degree is a fucking joke.
>>
>>55230948
You can work at the large hadron collider. Just go there and apply.
>>
>>55222540
No, A STEM degree can get you employed anywhere. It's like a business degree for smart introverted people.
>>
>>55230569
Says the guy getting paid peanuts for his years of drudgery.

You can literally google the average Software Developer income in the US via Glassdoor.

I'm not surprised AUS pays software developers shit. From what I've seen, you guys are 2 brain cells away from drowning while drinking a glass of water.
>>
File: Smug Shoplifter.jpg (57 KB, 450x562) Image search: [Google]
Smug Shoplifter.jpg
57 KB, 450x562
>>55222540
>sold an air condition today and made 400 bucks for a few hours of work
>this isn't even a lot of money for a day in my industry
>mfw I've only been in it for 6 months
Selling bitches fucking air for 6-10 stacks
>>
>>55222540
Exactly why I didn't go for a PhD.
Of course, part of the bad state of academia in the states is that we've been hiring immigrants for years. First the USSR broke up. Thank you based Reagan! Then after it bottomed out ~10 years later then came the Mongol hor-, I mean Asians. And that abyss will never bottom out. So it's over for us. De-funding and commercialization are just the kick in the gut on the ground.

>>55226144
>>55227982
>>55228548
Then unless internships were required in your curriculum your schools have not prepared you. Applying to internships here is like applying to jobs. They will grill you over experience. And internship demand never meets supply. Truth. Also. Indians again. And Jews, Jews importing sla-, I mean Indians.
>>
>Everyone thinks degrees will guarantee them a safe job and comfortable living.

No, it won't. This isn't the 1950s. Even that was mostly due to post-war years and US being half the global economy.

You're competing with automation, de-industrialization and outsourcing. Your degree won't protect you from any of that. Even if you elect bernie, and he pays every cent of your degree, it still won't change that.
>>
>>55231812

Get out there - you got the prospects coming in. You think they came in to get out of the rain? A guy don't walk on the lot lest he wants to buy. They're sitting out there waiting to give you their money. Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it? What's the problem, pal?
>>
>>55223036
>wanting more people in trades
Fuck you bro, no more people allowed in my trade.
>>
>>55231825
lel, it continued for 50 years.
>>
File: YEAH BUDDAY.jpg (139 KB, 569x799) Image search: [Google]
YEAH BUDDAY.jpg
139 KB, 569x799
>>55231955
I had to google that quote, I now have a new movie to watch. Never believed sales life was like this until I started doing it, hitting faggots with a smile and a clean left hook, straight up legally mugging people.
>>
>>55222540
>PhD
>31

This is a major issue that no one seems to understand. A PhD in STEM will further your career greatly if you enter the industrial/research field at an age of early/mid 20s. Staying in academia until your late 20s/early 30s does no benefit you though as employers see you as naive or divorced from reality.
>>
File: 1444097098288.jpg (35 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1444097098288.jpg
35 KB, 500x375
>>55231823
Applying to internships is not like applying to jobs. I landed my internship by answering the questions "is your resume truthful, and do you want a job?"

If you can't even get an internship, the bottom of the barrel requirement, yeah then you have no business in that field. Getting an internship is like getting a job at Target. It's temporary as all hell. The bar is set low. Do you have a pulse, and did you lie on your resume is the only test you have to pass. The only difference is, an internship in CS can land you a 40k-60k salary during your short period of work. And if you do well, you either get taken on by that company or you have a wealth of contacts.

This shit isn't hard. It's not rocket-science. It's actually incredibly easy. I personally have done it, and I've seen it repeated by plenty of friends. Either you guys are cooking up excuses to make yourselves feel better, or you're just fucking lying.
>>
>>55231955
You didn't finish the movie, did you now?
>>
>>55230569
Oh yeah it ended a while ago. I still talk to my advisor as the company I am at now is planning to fund him. Theres this useless faggot that has joined his group that I know has expressed interest in trying to get a gig here and I am going to put a big ass fuckin wall up for him.
>>
>>55231485
>average software developer wage
>lower overall compensation

Do I really have to explain to you what averages are?

>i'm not suprised aus pays shit

You are very defensive for someone who is supposedly telling the truth about your profession.

Just drop the act. You are a scared, insecure college student who has listened to a bunch of stories probably from your family members about big money in this industry and now you are shitting bricks because you are getting a reality check about your supposed profession after graduation- if you even get a full time job.
>>
>>55232406
What area did you school in?
>>
File: tax_love.png (20 KB, 308x398) Image search: [Google]
tax_love.png
20 KB, 308x398
>>55232426
Oh just jesus christ. Just shut the fuck up. There's a software developer shortage in AUS. You get paid like shit because you're an idiot.

Posted is my salary. Multiply by 24 (if that isn't too difficult). Eat a dick.

Also, I'm not going to go through the rest of my benefit package but it includes 401k investment matching and college tuition towards furthering your degree.
>>
>>55232643
Btw if you haven't noticed. I get paid enough to have a strong opinion against the current tax code.
>>
File: image.png (137 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
137 KB, 800x600
>get a my MCSE and CCNA,A+,Net+ in highschool
>get a CS degree
>have job as IT manager in city making good money
>meet a hot trap decide to move out to the country and build a life together and family.
>no IT jobs in Appalachia
>open up small IT that I have trap run during the day.
>become a mailman making 70k a year after taxes and gas.
>buy up houses and use my carpenter skills to fix up and make duplex and rent that shit out.
>currently shopping around with women to use there womb to make a child
>found a nice candidate saving up money to use her.
>>
>>55232409

You just cost me $6,000
>>
>>55232511
SoCal
>>
>>55223367
thanks syndrome
>>
>>55232765
LoL i'm in PA. There is no comparison.
>>
>>55232643
>401k
>deducted from your salary
FUCKING LOL
In Australia, we have superannuation, which is 9% (rising to 12%) on TOP of your pay.
>>
File: 1446856926749.jpg (36 KB, 316x263) Image search: [Google]
1446856926749.jpg
36 KB, 316x263
>>55222540
>Get science degree
>Fields are over saturated as fuck with med school drop outs
>Masters viewed as little better than a BS in [Insert Science Field]
>Only way to avoid it is to get a PhD
>Thinking that part of STEM is even worth it
>MFW I fell for the scientific Jew for 3 years and am way behind in any other degree field
>>
>>55223367
That's the principle problem with education in the states. Most of us are just in it for the money. And liberals, US liberals pat themselves on the back for having succeeded in growing collective intelligence.
>>
>>55232643
>there is a shortage

Of people who have 3-5+ years of relevant, full time experience who are prepared to walk out on a company that is already paying them market rate with a bunch of perks for a new job somewhere else. Who could guess why there is a shortage of these people?

Not fresh grads with maybe a year rounded up worth of intern experience who basically know nothing and will have to have someone constantly checking everything they do.

>my salary

That could belong to anyone and I really couldn't care about your supposed benefits because it's clear as day to me that you aren't working at all, let alone in that industry for that kind of money.
>>
>>55223808
> I like science shit.
Hahahahaha.
m8, reading "I fucking love science" in your Facebook news feed is not the same as learning to be a scientist.
Go work as a tradie or something, you're not cut out for science at a decent university.
>>
>>55225944
...i do....where is an updated list of these jobs?
>>
>>55226754
lol retail scum.
Good luck having any decent quality of life.
>>
>>55233151
Like, you can get a job with a BS or Masters but you will be a bench monkey, bottle labeler, "sandwich" maker, compound mixer, etc

If you want to be on the path to leadership or in a position to change the company, you get a PhD. They are the thinkers. They tell what the MS or BS people what to do.
>>
File: _IGP2427.jpg (148 KB, 1280x711) Image search: [Google]
_IGP2427.jpg
148 KB, 1280x711
>>55233133
I pay in 6%. My company matches my investment. It's 12% overall.

We also have a similar broken system called Social Security. Have you heard of it?

>>55233199
>OMG NOT UR SALARY
>DEFLECT
>DEFLECT
You get paid shit, you're worthless to your employer. No one loves you.

My girlfriend (10/10 smoking hot wud bang) is judging you and laughing. Have some pictures of freedom.
>>
>>55227026
Yea sure faggot. Tell me more about how if someone can't get a job with their current degree they should get a job with their current degree (hurr see your mistake?) instead of getting more education.
>>
I got a STEM degree, I make barely above minimum wage, I'm paying for my own MSc right now after which I plan on getting a PhD, turning 30 soon, still live at home, never had a relationship.

Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and realize that you lost at life. This could be you too OP. It's very real and I never thought I'd end up this way.
>>
File: 1414280113496.gif (804 KB, 330x300) Image search: [Google]
1414280113496.gif
804 KB, 330x300
>>55233477
>Needing to get minimum of a PhD
Fuck that. Wish I knew that it was sketch as fuck when I applied to uni.

My intention right now is to activate my inner Jew and do accounting with a CPA end goal.
>>
File: 1Tomoko_kuroki_two_eyes.jpg (36 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
1Tomoko_kuroki_two_eyes.jpg
36 KB, 500x492
mfw I never expected to get anywhere with college and I'm going to a cheep Continuity College for basically free simply because I want to and will likely get a regular job and would be comfortable with modest income so long as I', not poor or overworked.
>>
>>55233199
The "shortage" is not a bug, it's a feature. Remember the real estate securities fraud that brought down so many Wall st firms?
Step 1 Sell someone a bad investment
Step 2 Bet against them
Step 3 Profit!

Only there's no law against the likes of Bill Gates fraudulently jewing about a stem shortage in order to drive down the price of hiring talent.
>>
>>55233641
Its not sketch. Undergrad teaches you the basics of science and how to do basic experiments.

A PhD shows that you are truly an original thinker. There is nothing wrong with being a research associate (aka BS or MS personnel). It all depends on what you want to do with your life. Do you want to come into work and get your shit done then go home? Be a BS or MS

Want to come in and really test new ideas, advance into higher technical or managerial positions? get a PhD.
>>
>>55233525
>>55233199
>Not fresh grads with maybe a year rounded up worth of intern experience who basically know nothing and will have to have someone constantly checking everything they do.

The hand-holding in Australia never ends. Even after college, and you're in the workforce, you still need your hands held. No wonder you can't be trusted with guns.
>>
>>55233693
>Remember the real estate securities fraud that brought down so many Wall st firms?
The subprime mortgage crisis was ultimately the result of federal meddling more than anything.
>>
>>55233889
Want to make real money?

Don't go to college, get a real skill and learn sales.
>>
>not doing a degree integrated with industry placement

how retarded you gotta be
>>
File: 8269287.jpg (43 KB, 683x496) Image search: [Google]
8269287.jpg
43 KB, 683x496
>>55233889
Not really interested anymore with slugging it out with failed med students using the field as plan B or C just to make shit money doing a shit job.

Also not really interested in draining so much time and effort to get a PhD. Masters maybe if it'll actually net me anything worth it but not a PhD.
>>
>>55234031
Commission based drudgery is the best drudgery.
>>
>>55233942
Subprime only helped keep the bubble going. It was not the cause. The feds didn't force Goldman Sachs et. al. to be jews.
>>
>>55233889
>>55233641
>>55234102

That said though, if you are really fucking good, you can go into industry from the start and you'll advance after years of experience. But you have to be really good.

Ill also tell you a secret: I went into a PhD because I had nothing better to do. You get paid to get a PhD, did you know that? You get paid to bumble fuck around for a few years while you figure out how to do things. You literally cant get fired unless you seriously screw shit up.

What are you STEMing in?
>>
>>55234227
The Financial Jew AKA accounting with a CPA intention.

Uncle did it and it netted him decent money. He even got a halfway decent job out of uni with a bachelors. His only advice was to stay as far away from banks as possible because pay and mobility are non-existent.
>>
>>55223612

Any memes necessary.
>>
>>55234405
I was also Biology with either a concentration in Environmental, Biotech, or human biology.
>>
>>55222540
Companies want wage slaves, no people who can think. Those positions are reserved for nepotism and bribery.
>>
>>55233525
You've made my point that you are nothing more than a insecure, scared student.

Hopefully you are still early on in your studies so you might have a chance of growing up before you embarrass yourself to your prospective employers while attempting to convince them to hire you.

>muh 10/10 girlfriend
>muh money

Do something easier with your studies like business. You don't have the right mindset or priorities to make it in this industry, FYI.
>>
>>55234459
Well. Biology is shit anyways. The real money is in Chemistry. Theres so much shit that you can do with a chemistry degree its only slightly amusing.

To quote the movie The Graduate: "polymers"
>>
>>55234643
I fucking hate chemistry. Shit is unbelievably annoying AF.

Love Bio. Meh on Physics. Detest Chem.
>>
>>55232383
>PHD
>mid 20s

are you really this fucking retarded? no one has a phd by their mid 20s, except for those wunderkinds who graduate high school at 15 and go to harvard on a full ride.
>>
>>55234197
Nah bro, read Liar's Poker. It was the efforts of Fan and Fred to make home ownership available to the poor that fucked everything up.

>>55234170
It keeps you hungry, you don't even notice the drudge because you're always chasing after the next kill.
>>
>thinking it isn't just TM
>>
>>55234777
Can confirm. Am 30, graduated last year.

I started when I was 23, and also my advisor moved to a new university half way through so I lost 6 months of productivity.
>>
>doctorate in physics
>doesn't even understand how gravity works

he deserved it desu baka senpai
>>
>Physics
Haha, feel bad for him.
Got to listen to my math professors talk to one of his friends about prospects after grad school and it was basically "Try to suck dick as hard as you can so you can get a post doc, then keep doing post docs, then maybe someday you can get an actual paycheck"
>>
>>55235105
SIX WHOLE MONTHS OF PRODUCTIVITY WOW

You're gonna live to be like 80 dude relax.
>>
>>55235112
>implying he didn't kill himself after getting bossed around by someone with a Liberal Arts degree
>>
There are too many people who get PhDs from diploma mill programs, often without funding, even when they know there are no job opportunities from there.

The fact is that research is a top-heavy profession. The best researchers can contribute a lot, both in academia or at least in private sector industry. Mediocre researchers have less value than the average person with only a bachelor's or a Master's.

>>55235181
Honestly for people like that.. it's better to just tell them to prepare their CVs and research for working in industry. Lots of people bounce around between postdocs, adjunct/visiting professorships, etc for years or decades before they finally give up.
>>
>>55234227
>You get paid to get a PhD, did you know that?

Not everybody.

Elite students with grants get paid for PhD, usually in the 20k~30k/year, plus all university related expenses. No need to work as an RA or TA or anything like that. (My case as a JSPS fellow in Japan a couple years ago, but I know similar people in the US as well)

Most PhD candidates are getting far less than that while also having to work and there are many getting nothing.

I've seen many PhD candidates on suicide watch basically. In Japan and overseas.

And it makes sense considering most PhD students and research topics are worthless.

But at least for me it was worth. Being a multilingual foreigner with a STEM(engineering) PhD from a prestigious grant and prestigious university guaranteed me a super rare in Japan 100k job right out of the gate. But for most people, it's not worth it.
>>
>>55222540

Another thing. PhD is for research, academic papers.

MD, JD, Engineering licenses, etc. are for actual work things.

Unless you get a job doing research at a Uni or Company, a PhD is useless. Unless you just want to do research, a PhD is useless.

You're better off at stopping a Masters and working your way up the Corporate Ladder.

Also, only business owners really make money anyways, unless you're a surgeon.
>>
>>55228891
underrated
>>
>>55235112
I don't think you know what desu means.
>>
>>55222797
here is great demand for teachers and nurses.
>>
>Getting a physics degree
>Expecting a job

He deserved it desu senpai
>>
>>55235501
Damn, what field?

Here if your in Bio, Physics, or Chemistry you get a full stipend (varies by city based on cost of living) and you can make extra depending on fellowships or awards.
>>
What I don't get about OP is why the government completely let him down like that.

They held him up at a state university, gave him a proper education, and didn't give him some cushy research assistant job in academia? They just threw him to the fishes, with a fucking PHYSICS PhD, the most useless of all theoretical science PhD's?

How did they turn their back on this guy? He didn't deserve a call center. He needed to work on some research underneath a prominent scientist within the physics faculty.

Fuck this country.
>>
>>55224209
Depends on the type of math. If your focus is on the combinatorial/optimization/computer science side you will make bank in software R/D
>>
>>55235501
This is truth, desu. But also in general for college, studying BS shit it worthless to most employers.

Going to a good school is important... like ranked in the top 50 or 75.

The PhD program at my College doesn't let you work anywhere, only as a TA, so you might make like $2500 a month or less for a few years while doing a PhD.
>>
they make it sound like accepting the job is what made him die. Was the hiring process to vault between buildings?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.