[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a modern day Socrates?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 12
File: EzVj2ws.png (103 KB, 624x434) Image search: [Google]
EzVj2ws.png
103 KB, 624x434
Is there a modern day Socrates?
>>
File: socrates.jpg (30 KB, 306x341) Image search: [Google]
socrates.jpg
30 KB, 306x341
>>43839314
>>
socrates sucks. why do europeans still promte the fucking useless greek philosophers who only made shit up and actually achieved nothing. Look at fucking perikles or miltiades who actually achieved something. These are people we should look up to.
>>
>>43839377
10/10
>>
>>43839377
well meme'd
>>
>>43839314
yes but they don't fit in though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XaSYaVOcMg
>>
>>43839459
Socrates student was Plato, who's student was Aristotle who's student was Alexander the Great who conquered Persia.

> actually achieved nothing
>>
>>43839529

Nigger, you can't even prove Socrates was real. He wrote nothing and we know barely anything about him, he could be a total myth like Jesus.
>>
>>43839756
There are actual documents of his work, retard.
>>
>>43839529
>>43839900
American is more intelligent than a Brit.

Is this a fucking opposite day?
>>
>>43839756
Well I can't fuckin prove you exist either, yet here you are faggot!
>>
>>43839756
His trial (Apology) was documented by both Plato and Xenophon. Aristophanes even made a comedy about him (The Clouds)
>>
>>43839314

> who is Russell brand for 200 good boy points mommy?
>>
Diogenes > socrates
>>
>>43840157

M8 Diogenes wasn't even toilet trained
>>
>>43840316

>not peeing in a spoiled cunt's dinner table
>>
File: 1427724236754.gif (925 KB, 212x176) Image search: [Google]
1427724236754.gif
925 KB, 212x176
>>43839900
>there are actual documents of his work
there are accounts of his work, but no primary source itself
>inb4 what difference does that make
a huge difference. the credibility is already questioned when the biggest supplier/re-distrubter of Socrates work is Plato himself.

>there's a reason that even though we know Shakespeare to be a real person, there is controversy that isn't settled whether or not Shakespeare actually "wrote" most of his work
Even if it was a primary source "Socrates" it is hard to validate that it is indeed one man, and not a collective or a ancient pen name.
>>
>>43839756
>this retarded logic
well baited, 4/10
>>
>>43840133
Hope he dies like a bitch too.
>>
File: 1365695563117.jpg (16 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1365695563117.jpg
16 KB, 250x250
>>43840402
>there are accounts of his work, but no primary source itself
>>
>>43839529
Alexander really just won because of his weapons tactics which really weren´t his. The only thing he did was read things about persia liking it and deciding hey i will fucking invade them. He later proved to be a terrible politican but thankfully he died and his generals could do the actual hard work.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (368 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
368 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>43840454

There IS a difference between primary and secondary sources.
>>
>>43840518
What the fuck is a weapon tactics?
>>
File: aEzJt6U.jpg (52 KB, 530x530) Image search: [Google]
aEzJt6U.jpg
52 KB, 530x530
>>43840454
>what is a secondary source
>what is being a complete fucking idiot whilst using the condescending george meme
>being this much a stereotypical uneducated american

get fucked yankee.
>>
>>43839459
>Turks/Muslims mad they stole everything
>>
>>43840631
I meant weapons and tactics...
>>
>>43840712
what?
>>
>>43839314

Joe Rogan
>>
>>43840752
So the fact that he used them to such success means that success doesn't belong to him at all? Brb need to discredit every author ever on the count they are just copying letters.
>>
>>43840909
No just i´m just saying that he didn´t succed because he was so fucking smart after having the great aristotle as his teacher like some people seem to believe.
>>
>>43841082
So he just fell into success and never worked for it, got it. You are a salty one, mad that the people who owe you money now actually did things in the past?
>>
>>43840518
Stupid shit alert!

Alexander was the reason his father was even able to unite Greece under his control by winning the battle at Chaeronea. It was his decision to take advantage of the gap in Greek battle formations and charge in there.

Also while his father can indeed be credited for creating the famous Macedonian army, he didn't get to use them in a larger scale in a huge campaign. There's no telling if he had been even half as successful as was Alexander at conquering Persia.

Don't forget Alexander won one of the most glorious battles in the history of mankind, Gaugamela. But it's not just that he was able to achieve something this great, it is also that he was always in the center of the action. In every battle he was alongside his companion cavalry, charging into the enemy lines where the fight was always the most ferocious and decisive. He didn't hesitate for a second when he was faced with a greater army.

That's really something to look up to.

Also why do you think he was a bad politician? His megalomania?
>>
Dan Carlin
>>
>>
>>43841285
I´m just saying he wasn´t a genius or anything he was more someone with ambitions superior tactics . Which were really simply, basically he had huge ass spears and his enemies couldn´t reach his army and were confused.
>>
>>43841649
ambitions and superior tactics...
>>
>>43841324
I just heard that he was bad at actually gouverning his empire which is propably why he was killed. On the internet i just find that he kept everything how it was. Nevertheless his empire broke apart when he died so there´s that.
>>
>>43841578
pure
>>
>>43841649
So you agree that he outsmarted his opponents?

You know intelligence is more than just math right?
>>
>>43841791
He was actually pretty good at it, being able to control a force of that size and keep them supplied is still a hard task to this day with all of our gadgets.

So what if there was a war for succession, do you have a will planned out and ready to go in case you keel over tomorrow?
>>
>>43841791
We'll never know if he was a good administrator. He was on the warpath most of his life.
>>
>>43841820
It weren´t his tactics. Persians were just bad at war. Which could already be seen in the first persian greek war. It´s just a part of the greek mentality to stay inside the own polis. But macedonians weren´t really greek. So he adopted greek tactics and fought the paper tiger that was the persian empire.
>>
>>43841905
I´m not saying he was an idiot. Sure he was somewhat smart but not a fucking genius.
>>
>>43841932
>Persians were just bad at war
>beat rome several times in battle

>implying Alexander wasn't a genius
John Green pls go.
>>
>>43841932
>Persians were bad at war
Not like they had an empire built of the bones of lesser powers or sacked Athens right?
>>
>>43841791
>which is propably why he was killed
This is some deeper shit I'm not advanced enough to understand, yet? Because he died of fever. A fever from a river that til this day has bacteria or someshit in it.

He was a bad ruler in that his ego got too big and he tried to forcefully bring both Greek and Persian cultures together. This may have worked but not in such a short timescale, especially taking into account he died and this only made the historical cultural schisms worse. His successor was weak and none of the nations really wanted to stay united with eachother.

His death and the death of his empire after it hadn't really much to do with what he did. There's not much he could've done. If he lived longer then sure, but that's not what happened.

>>43841649
Bigger spears =/= superior tactics.

>basically he had huge ass spears and his enemies couldn´t reach his army and were confused
>this is literally a 6 yearolds level of apprehension of strategy

It's not impossible to counter a phalanx. And the phalanx wasn't even the main reason Macedonians won battle after battle. As I said, the decisive blows by Alexanders cavalry that he led personally were of much bigger significance.

>>43841932
It's not so much that Persians are bad at war, it's that Greeks got everything on their side in the Greco Persian wars: terrain, hometurf, and the fact that Persians were far from their homes and didn't really give a shit about Greece.

Then Persians lost against ALexander because Darius was a weak king and the people, again, didn't really give a shit about the war. They greeted Alexander when he entered Babylon.

>>43842055
You have no idea.
>>
>>43842137
You're right to a degree. Alexander was a very capable commander but many of the Persian satraps swapped sides
>>
>>43842122
that was hundreds of years later you twat.
>>
It's me bro
>>
>>43842137
Actually I take back what I said about the assassination part. I didn't know there were theories that he might've been assassinated.

>>43842232
That says more about what I was saying about the Persians than it does about Alexander.
>>
>>43842298
They only swapped after he was kicking ass. He was a great leader
>>
>>43842055
He kept an army of tens of thousands of men supplied and on the move for almost ten years straight, with little in the way of a pre-existing command structure. Meanwhile if you rank with in the top tier chess players you are often considered to have some level of genius
>>
File: Testudo_formation.jpg (2 MB, 2448x1710) Image search: [Google]
Testudo_formation.jpg
2 MB, 2448x1710
>>43842137
Well we both agree that persia was weak so what´s the problem. They were so succsesful because they didn´t conquer and destroy they let the conquereds system of culture and gouverning stay. So they were pretty popular and just had manpower. Their tactics were terrible to non existent. That why it was so easy for Alexander to destroy them with superior greek tactics. He just had to follow the patterns. And it actually happend often that really easy tactics made a country unbelievably superior. Just look and the mongolians and pic related. That´s what destroyed the Huge ass spear tactic. Yes, huge ass shields. Unable to pearce with the spear which on that distance of up to 7m dind´t have a lot of power.
>>
>>43842609
Parthian horse archers destroyed those things. Crassus would like a word with you
>>
>>43839756
>being this retarded
Just kill yourself
>>
>>43842717
Read my comment again. I said mongolians. That´s exactly what they did. And then conquered almost all of asia. That´s just my point. Sometimes really easy and almost obvious little changes in the tactics forged the biggest empires.
>>
>>43842609
>Because huge ass shields weren't part of the hoplite formation.
>>
>>43842778
well he´s right. same with homer.
>>
>>43842910
They weren´t that big so they couldn´t build this unpiercable wall. That´s what mattered.
>>
>>43842917
>well he´s right.
I'll repeat myself: Just kill yourself.
>>
>>43842609
Again, wrong.

Why do you keep talking about something you obviously have no knowledge of?

The testudo was best for sieging. In a close combat it would've served no purpose.

The real success of Rome came not from testudo. It came from the ability to learn from enemies and to adapt. Carthaginian navy was beaten by inventing bridges that would connect two ships in a battle, effectively making it a land battle.

The biggest part of Roman battle strategy was the maniples. The ability to constantly have fresh men in the front was a great advantage. Plus the Roman weaponry and shields were created specifically for fighting in a very tight formation, which ensured that no matter of the numbers in a battle, Romans would always have a number advantage in the melee battle by simply having men closer together.

Then there's the pilum.

There's so much more to what made Romans successful than a "really easy tactic".

Also Persians were good at war. How do you think they managed achieving such an empire?

Your explanation is that they let the conquered keep their culture, but that doesn't explain how they got conquered in the first part.

Let me tell you how: they were good at desert warfare on flat grounds. Horse archers, great archers in general, light shields against arrows and good tacticians is what got them that far. Greece was whole another monster. Mountainous, melee focused heavy infantry. Plus what I already mentioned in my earlier post.

I could go on with Mongolians but I'd probably run out of characters.

I want to finish off by saying that no matter how fucked Persia was once Alexander came, it doesn't take away from his achievements. If a boxer gave up before the fight, it would not taint his opponent, especially if he has a history of winning. It just means that his potential didn't get a chance to be revealed.
>>
>>43843051
Well give a reason you smart fuck. You´re propably just angry because he said jesus isn´t real, right pedro?
>>
>>43842986
Greeks lost to Romans because the phalanx was less flexible than the maniples. That's one of the reasons.
>>
Jaden Smith
>>
>>43843107
Nice argument, you sure showed me.
>>
>>43839314
>is there a man who questions everything that we can find in popular media today?

probably, but political media drowns that the fuck out. literally shocked that ron paul got as much traction as he did with the way he criticized both parties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlfW-0621hE
>>
>>43843061
When did i say he didn´t deserve the name great or something. He could be dumb as fuck i would still consider him great. He did have briliant tactics. It just weren´t his. The persians were so succsseful because they had manpower. They just threw bags of meat against their oponents (like stalin btw). I know that rome was so succseful because they addapted. it´s just that this tactic made the phallanx useless. I was just trying to show that sometimes a simple tactic can be enough to win even when the odds are highly against you in terms of manpower.
>>
>>43842986
Nah, "unstabable"wall could easy catch a spear to the face, even more so when they've got an extra ten feet of reach on you.
>>
>>43843161
I don´t need a fucking argument. The brit already explained why. Also because of homer many historians think the greeks sometimes invented someone to be the father of writting down history(homer) or philosophy (socrates).
>>
>>43843300
part of me wants to start some form of movement where we become social gadflies and try to do what socrates did. but rather then piss everyone off we get them to like us the for them to follow suit by convincing them that questioning everything you believe in is just a better way to live. hire a bunch of charismatic guys to make speeches to the public while being unaffiliated with any political movement. it would be awful nice to see that.

raise a generation under socrates
>>
>>43843351
Try to poke someone with a shield thats as big as him with as 7m long spear. They just blocked and in the back they threw these genius spears at their oponents that had weak metal in the middle and would deform when they hid their shields making them useless. I know a bit about these things.
>>
>>43843304
>Believing the mass wave myth of the second world war.

Stalingrad was absolute desperation, everything after was better thought out. Uncle Joe knew he could only get so much material in at a time, so he made it count.
>>
>>43843580
Well it´s not a myth. You even admit he did it. That´s how he won. I´m not saying that´s all the russians did. Thankfully uncle sam gave them some technology to use.
>>
>>43840065
Socrates was a Character Created by Plato and Aristophanes. He was an amalgamation.
>>
>>43839314
Stefan Molyneux. Definitely Stef.
>>
>>43843649
So Stalin uses one tactic in one battle and that defines his sides tactics in all other battles regardless of how they were fought?

Stop the presses everyone ever only uses zerg rushes then
>>
>>43843304
>He did have briliant tactics. It just weren´t his
What the fuck? Whose then?

If anything, it's the tactics that were Alexanders and the army his fathers. Besides there's much much more to winning a war than tactics. One of them is decision making. This is what Alexander did; good decisions.

>The persians were so succsseful because they had manpower
No.

They had manpower once they had gained most of the known world as their empire. Til then their success lied on what I said.

>(like stalin btw)
All he did was find a way to cope with the shortage of resources and military equipment. He had to stop the German advance at any cost whatsoever. He had to stall them just enough for the forces to arrive from Siberia. Once they got to the frontlines, the war was over. Germans saw no success from that point onwards and the high numbers of Russian casualties is not due to some "meat" strategy, but instead due to Russians lacking the experience Germans had. Both the soldiers and higher ups. Plus their equipment was still problematic, though less so towards the end of the war.
>>
>>43839314
philosophy is dead
>>
>>43841578
>Slavoj is literally my neighbour (lives across the street from me)

every time I see him mentioned anywhere I laugh
>>
>>43843845
>I know that I know nothing.

It shouldn't of taken this long.
>>
>>43843808
When did i fucking say that's his defining tactic. Stalingrad was just the battle when nazi germany was defeated. It's the most important.
>>
>>43844051
>of taken
>from an americunt
Kill self.
>>
>>43843994
What is he like?

Does he have an aura of light around him? His head atleast?
>>
>>43839756
You can't prove antarctica's real either.

>B-but it's on a map
>so's Mordor, bitch-tits
>>
>>43844051
Most fucking underrated post up to date. I'll print that shit out and hang it in my living room. Well said sir.
>>
>>43844333
It's a quote.
>>
>>43843994

Have you ever talked to him?
>>
>>43844051
>shouldn't of

You went to school in Atlanta, perhaps?
>>
>>43843817
As i said i didn't say he's dumb just not a genius. The phallanx was greek. Greeks were generally great at war. They just never had ambitions to conquer the world. They stayed in their polis. I'll stick to what i said about the persians. I just hate stalin because he's responsible for killing one of my relative, and no he was not a nazi. Just a german living in russia. That's why i brought that up. I hate that fucker.
>>
File: 1419910879381.jpg (19 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1419910879381.jpg
19 KB, 200x200
>>43843662
>socrates was the original pepe
>>
>>43844222
>>43844471
>Joke
Your heads

I wasn't being subtle.
>>
>>43844505
The Macedonian phalanx was unique to them though. So was their masterful use of cavalry. Hoplite phalanx is a different thing
>>
>>43842609
>>43843061
The Roman advantage was Italy, large amounts of land suited to the Mediterranean agriculture of the time and situated at the heart of Mediterranean trade. Look at Pyrrhus and Hannibal, their wars with Rome were characterized by them winning battles but losing the war due to attrition.

After they had naval superiority in the Mediterranean they could concentrate large numbers of troops anywhere on the coast, overwhelming the Hellenic states one by one. Their maniples were medium infantry, more or less equals to the phalanx on uneven ground but not if they had to confront them directly, though this they could avoid due to supply from the sea, they could loiter in enemy territory causing trouble, forcing the enemy to leave favorable ground and confront them.
>>
>>43844380
I know. I just love that quote and it's so fitting. That's really how i see philosophy.
>>
>>43841578
>>43841802
>>43843994
>>43844262
>>43844439
he is a communist pseudophilosopher
>>
>>43844611
Which his father is responsible for.
>>
>>43839459

The socratic method is not "nothing".
>>
>>43840027
we have our moments
>>
>>43844602
Ah, great joke!
>>
>>43844756
No it is fucking nothing. That's like people saying the ten amendments were an unbelievable step towards human rights. Every fucking decent civilisation figures that out. People do that naturally.
>>
File: 1418018887227.jpg (470 KB, 986x1369) Image search: [Google]
1418018887227.jpg
470 KB, 986x1369
>>43844505
Why are you doing this? You know you can just read about history. There's lots of information about it and it's interesting. There's no need to make stuff up.

>They just never had ambitions to conquer the world
Holy hell lmao

Please keep going. Tell me about the Carthaginians.

>>43844602
My autism keeps overthinking everything but I've trained myself to treat everyone and everything as what it seems at the first glance. It's nearly impossible to underestimate the stupidity of the internet.
>>
>>43845003
How are they greek?
>>
>>43845072
What?
>>
>>43845109
Carthaginians aren't greek? I said the greeks didn't have ambitions to conquer.
>>
>>43845148
But they did.
>>
File: 1419432183007.jpg (83 KB, 488x600) Image search: [Google]
1419432183007.jpg
83 KB, 488x600
>>43839314
>modern day Socrates?

Please, it's like you still think mirrors are real.
>>
>>43845148
I was just mocking you m8. I just wanted you to tell me more about ancient history since you seem to have a very good understanding of it. Then I asked about the Carthaginians cause I had this awesome pic that was itching to be uploaded.
>>
File: socrates.jpg (905 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
socrates.jpg
905 KB, 2560x1536
>>
>>43845209
Oh how nice. And people say pol is just about trolling. Yeah i had latin in school so i pretty much had to learn everything about ancient rome. The language really sucks though. I was so bad that in the end i had to do this huge fucking presentation why rome fell and then i became really intrested in history. Schools really suck at making it interesting.
>>
>>43845249
Him and Joe Rogan really make ya think
Just popped some alpha brain
>>
>>43845249
Reasons to kill myself:
1. This guy
2. People listen to him
3. His voice is allowed to exist
4. People believe his made up shit
>>
>>43845436
I was being sarcastic but I don't want to be a dick anymore so I'll just tell you to keep reading about it.
>>
>>43845526
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh the only reason he's famous is because he's entertaining to listen to. Give it a try. He can be fun.

Not sure about calling him a philosopher though. Maybe we should give him some time.
>>
>>43845528
I don't get it. They weren't greek. Are you talking about their tactics?
>>
>>43845705
No I was laughing at your extremely almost unbelievably simplistic understanding of the ancient history. So I asked you to keep going cause I was having a laff. Then I asked about the Carthaginians because I had that cool pic.

Yes they are not Greek.
>>
>>43845567
He litteraly said on a panel that the open door imigration policy of britain wasn't a mistake. Even the fucking green party accepts that. He might be fun as an entertainer though.
>>
>>43845783
I dunno but what I do know is that you wouldn't want to be debating him. He's extremely well spoken and can and will absolutely annihilate almost anyone.

He doesn't even need to be right. Some demagogy + humor and the crowd's on his side.

Plus he's charismatic.
>>
>>43839314

Ben Garison
>>
>>43845764
Well fuck you i enjoyed talking to you so i thoight you did the same. Anyways i was just trying to prove that alexander didn't succed because he was so unbelievably smart because he was schollar of the great aristotle. It's just you automatically become simplistic trying to defend you argument. Sure you're somehow right. He was a good general. But not extraordinary in his skill. He had a fairly weak opponent and far superior tactics and brilliant people to back him up.
>>
>>43845875
Naah m8, he was blown the fuck out by Peter Hitchens multiple times. Just state your facts and ask Brand to show evidence that supports his position and you've outed him as a moron.
>>
>>43845875
From my experience that just because he says it's the evil bankers fault but i haven't seen that much of him. But on that panel he was really fucking annoying and at the was more the idiot. He said ukip was against the weak people like minorities and disabled. Thena disapled person in the audoence said that's fucking bullshit. Thought that's kinda revealing on what type of person he is.
>>
>>43845764
Now i get. You think sayingthe greeks didn't have ambitions to conquer. Maybe you should read some history because that's actually correct. Even when it was stupidly easy for them to take over other cities they didn't. They only forged alliances.
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.