[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
College: Follow Your Passion or Force Yourself to Go STEM?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: 52cb8_ORIG-college_tiers[1].jpg (182 KB, 1070x898) Image search: [Google]
52cb8_ORIG-college_tiers[1].jpg
182 KB, 1070x898
What would be the smartest thing to do?

In my case, yes, the two are mutually exclusive. If all things were equal, I'd probably go film or journalism. But those are useless majors and I'm sure I'd regret it.

What say you, /pol/?
>>
>>33162982
Film and Journalism are post-career hobbies. STEM is a professional field where you don't rely on luck to succeed.
>>
>>33162982
Pick careers long term staying power.

People with STEM degrees like to pretend their skills are immortal, which is untrue. The price for near instant jobs is that those jobs change, and you have to be flexible or you'll be left behind. I've seen that happen to quite a few people with the "God" tier engineering degree
>>
>>33163087
>God Tier: Physics
Im at engineering school studying physics and coming to realize that it's not very employable unless you do grad school/phD. Switching to ME
>>
The problem with creative subjects is its hard to get noticed.

The problem with STEM is that you need 5+ years of experience for most entry level jobs.

Listen to me mate. Study textiles/materials engineering. It's a rapidly growing industry with great pay (except for the sweatshop workers)
>>
>>33163210
>Pick careers long term staying power.

Such as?
>>
If you don't know don't go.

Going to college without a particular reason is a huge waste, unless the only thing you want out of life is 4 years of partying followed by a lifetime of unhappiness. Spend a couple of years out in the world, try to see a little bit of whatever industries you might be interested in and make an informed decision. Realistically you're only going to get one chance at a college education, even if you can afford it later in life there's always going to be some obligation stopping you, and if you go into the wrong discipline it's either not going to do you any good or put you in a career you don't want.
>>
Your 'passion' typically doesn't require a ~$100k + 4 years of your life. If you're going to college, get a degree that's worth something. Pursue your passion on your own time, self study.
>>
>>33163272
Textiles industry. It will never go away. Unless SJWs make clothing obsolete for women. Plus textiles is considred STEM
>>
>>33163234
I remember this feel.
>>
File: 1405593441214.png (645 KB, 1036x656) Image search: [Google]
1405593441214.png
645 KB, 1036x656
> Going to College/University
You fucked up
>>
>>33163540
Because being a NEET nobody living off autismbux and/or your parents is such a better life, right?
>>
>>33163540
where you been living? It's the new way to divide the workforce- people with degrees, and everyone else.
>>
>>33163581
>muh trades school
>>
>>33162982
>grab all your money
>travel to Argentina
>study in some of the free universities there
>get degree
>fuck bitches
>make money
>????
>profit
>>
>>33163647
>grab all your money
>travel to Argentina
>step off plane
>get mugged
>kidnapped
>shot

The end.
>>
>>33163581
>not going to college
>you must be NEET

lol
you do understand that more than 50% of college graduates end up back home, jobless, with massive amounts of debt

kkkkeeekkidddddyyykekekekeke
>>
>>33163540
That fat nazi would make for a good Wolfenstein enemy.
>>
There's no point going into STEM if you don't enjoy it. A lot of people who don't enjoy science will likely end up with a 3rd or 2.2 anyway.
>>
My advice to all anons is: go to university only if you meet one or more of the following:
(1) You have a job waiting for you, guaranteed (or are currently employed and can switch to full time)
(2) Your parents / scholarships will pay for all of school
(3) You know with certainty what you want to do
>>
>>33163647
>>33163679
>grab all your parents money
>get on plane
>crash

the end
>>
>>33162982
What should I choose if I want to become an entrepreneur?
>>
>>33163688
Yeah, all the art students. That's why you choose to study a real occupation.
>>
File: 1991.jpg (312 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1991.jpg
312 KB, 960x960
>>33163234
This goy.

You need to be careful where you live or where will you decide to live for the rest of your life. In some parts of the country, some of these degrees do jackshit because there isn't any opportunities for them anymore. Physics is a big victim to this.

I know this feel anon. The best job you can get as quickly as you can is probably Petroleum engineering, it's a fucking shtity job but the pay is huge, even for starters.
>>
>>33163628
Oh so it's between the people with
> 0 work experience but have a degree
or
> people with 2 years work experience and multiple references from different employers

Think I'd know which one would be hired buddy
>>
>>33163733
>>33163679
your jealo of my free colleges, argentina win win
>>
File: 1355538105013.png (56 KB, 738x142) Image search: [Google]
1355538105013.png
56 KB, 738x142
>>33162982
Move psych and business down to shit tier, poli sci at none liberal shithole universities up to mid tier, put women's studies in its own tier below shit tier. Add native studies and sociology to this new tier as well.
>>
>>33163767
There's usually 20 other applicants that have the experience and the degree.
>>
>>33163737
Probably business/finance.

Although, entrepreneurial stuff usually requires ground finance and contacts.

>>33163767
What can I do with 2 people who have experience when I need someone who knows more then one job? I can't count on someone who only knows departmentalized experience, I need people trained with multiple skills which I can utilize.
>>
>>33163842
That image is as old, unlikely that it'l change.

In truth, just having a degree opens doors. I wouldn't expect people who make "degree tier images" to really understand that, however.
>>
>>33163767
So basically you're telling us

>Start off with no experience and no degree, and you'd be better off!

>Start off with no experience and a degree, and you're guaranteed to fail!

Nigger, the thing is that a degree actually helps us start getting experience in the first place, it's better than to present yourself with absolutely no knowledge and no degree to your employer.
>>
>>33163746
Keep telling yourself that when you've got no job/employment after you leave and get into the real world Degrees don't mean shit it's all about experience
>>
>>33162982
>Economics & Business Studies not in Shit Tier
Hooray for me, my degree is less worthless than I thought.
>>
>>33163234
Yet many would have us believe that there aren't enough Americans with STEM knowledge to fill all the necessary jobs.

H1-B visa is "necessary", don't ya know? Give up you citizenship and you might have a chance at employment.
>>
i majored in polisci and now i get to funpost on /poo/
>>
File: 1376487421037.jpg (20 KB, 475x479) Image search: [Google]
1376487421037.jpg
20 KB, 475x479
>Astronomy
>God tier
>>
>>33163733
>grab all your money
>get mugged and killed

the end
>>
File: 1405186583352.png (22 KB, 274x242) Image search: [Google]
1405186583352.png
22 KB, 274x242
> All these good college Goys patheticly trying to make themselves feel like that they didn't waste money on college education
Sucks to be you faggots should have joined the military
>>
>>33163910
I agree, but from experience (electives i'll never take again) women's studies/sociology courses are actually detrimental to your mental development.
>>
File: 0.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
A good portion of tertiary education is a massive waste designed purely to make money for third parties and keep lecturers employed. This goes for humanities, lib arts and STEM.

A better structure is governing bodies of professions setting examinations that can be taken by anyone who fronts a fee and studies, either in their own time or while being sponsored by a company.

Let's face it, 99% of what's necessary to your job you learn ON THE JOB.
>>
>>33164169
Yes, but this ignores another part of degree's functions other then literal experience.

I'd argue that the gathering of business contacts, the making of friendships is as valuable as the actual education being offered at a university.

That and honestly people cannot be trusted to self tutor in 95% of circumstances.
>>
Step 1: Buy many Bitcoins in 2011.
Step 2: Sell Bitcoins in 2013.
Step 3: ?????? (Profit).
Step 4: Profit More.
>>
>>33164093
> Calling college students good goys.
> Says they should have joined the military.
The irony of that statement is lost on you isn't it, Schlomo?
>>
>>33164304
>I'd argue that the gathering of business contacts, the making of friendships is as valuable as the actual education being offered at a university.

It's possible to recreate this amongst trainees at large and even small companies, remember the number of "apprenticeship" type positions would shoot through the roof so you'd have a whole new type of trainee workplace culture emerging anyway.
>>
Just take online courses. They're just as good, if not better, than anything you'll take in college.
>>
I never understood why STEM is pushed so hard.

The only STEM jobs worth getting are only obtainable if you went to a T1 university.

I went to GT for computer science and managed an internship at my freshman year. Wound up switching my major to Biology instead.
>>
File: iqbymajor.png (96 KB, 1020x1762) Image search: [Google]
iqbymajor.png
96 KB, 1020x1762
If you aren't top 5 you might as well kill yourself.
>>
>>33164307
Step 1: Buy many Bitcoins in 2011.
step 2: lose everything when the bank defaults with no obligation to pay you back

the end
>>
It depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to actually work for a paper for the rest of your life then Journalism can pay the bills. You aren't going to be rich but you won't live on the streets.
>>
>>33164304
Unfortunately Nepotism is what gets a lot of Jobs these days.
>>
>>33162982
>But those are useless majors and I'm sure I'd regret it.
You've already answered your question.
>>
File: asimov.jpg (39 KB, 570x288) Image search: [Google]
asimov.jpg
39 KB, 570x288
>>33162982
How the hell am I in shit-tier if I`m studying political science(administrative sciences)?
>>
>>33164410
> Philosophy in top 5
Trashed.
>>
>>33164475
How are you not
>>
File: 1375480027441.jpg (27 KB, 948x711) Image search: [Google]
1375480027441.jpg
27 KB, 948x711
>abloo bloo bloo you need experience to get entry level stem jobs!
>not doing summer internships since your freshman year
>not participating in campus hackathons and app contests
>not having a fully stocked resume by your senior year and interning at google
>not being offered a great position at twitter
it's like you don't know how to succeed.

if you head straight home after classes you're doing college all wrong.
>>
>>33164504
>butthurt STEMfag
>>
>>33164412
>lose everything when the bank defaults with no obligation to pay you back

This happened in 2014. Had you sold in the summer of 2013 things would have been fine.
>>
Graduated from art, it shit tier
>>
>>33164419
Eh. Play it to your advantage, even with a "useless" degree you can make contacts and worm your way in somewhere. Especially in finance and business.

Find someone on linkedin you think is relevant? Give them a call (send an email first), just tell them you're interested in the industry and want to learn a bit more. Ask them if they've got time for a coffee and at the end ask them if they know anyone else that would be worth speaking to. It works wonders.
>>
>>33162982
What would international affairs rank on this?
>>
>>33164410
>people who get philosophy degrees have higher IQ's

Well I could have told you that, you don't really need a spreadsheet.

Although this spreadsheet is a little disingenuous. Just because a degree has a high number of intelligent people applying for it doesn't make it 'employable'. That said the majority of people I know with philosophy degrees went on to become lawyers.
>>
>>33163234
It has an employment rate > 90% and it's stable with the years. This means that you can be almost sure to get a job unless you are a lazy fuck who spends 10 years in finishing the degree.

I have to add that most of the research is not statal, but private. Don't hesitate to sell your soul to devil Repsol if they pay well enough.
>>
Why doesn't /pol/ study to become a personal trainer?
> Cheap as fuck to get certified (less than $1,000)
> Can be certified in a matter of months
> High employment opportunities (there will always be demand for trainers as long as gyms exist)
> Easy as fuck job (you're basically a glorified adult babysitter)
> Set your own schedule (you can work full time and make it your career or do it part time for supplemental income)
> pay rates start at $18/hr.
>>
>>33164558
>implying the social media won't blow any time soon, and thousands of workers will be made redundant
>implying it is easy to get an internship at Google.
>implying anyone would CV any difference without having relevant work experience.
>>
>Math "God Tier" wat
>>
>>33164659
pls reply guys.
>>
>>33164659
If you are asking this, then you are probably screwed.
>>
>>33164712
>implying IQ's mean anything
>>
>>33164410

Why do so many people suck at verbal? My verbal scores were usually higher than math, and math has always been my best subject.

Too many autistic robots with poor language skills take the test, it seems.
>>
>>33164659
It would rank shit tier because "everything else not mentioned"

But I honestly wouldn't take any notice of that list. I mean, any list that doesn't even factor in combined degrees is not much of a lsit.

>>33164774
>become a personal trainer!

Where does that lead in the long-term? I mean, it's going to be a hell of an effort, considering that the most bizarre demands are made of personal trainers to make ham-beasts into Arnold.
>>
>>33164852
I just want to know what my Major ranks...
>>
>>33163540
How else could I have become a doctor?
>>
>>33164566
Nope, business/finance.
You can't do shit with a Philosophy degree unless you're willing to get your PhD to teach philosophy. Short of that, enjoy your career as head barista at Starbucks.
>>
>>33164541
I do get an actual job form this major, unlike those who study music or philosophy.
>>
What's more important /pol/:

The place I got my degree, and how good said degree is (in terms of second or first degrees)

ror

The type of degree, and the skills that gives me
>>
If you actually hate the humanities as a concept you really need to get the fuck off /pol/, all of the decent content here comes from people well versed in the western canon. Not spergy libertarian robot engineers.
>>
>>33162982
Don't go to college unless you've learned things by yourself outside of what high school was teaching you, otherwise you won't have the drive to complete it. And by learn things I don't mean woodworking or some shit. I mean like learning a second language tier stuff.
>>
>>33164895
>I mean, it's going to be a hell of an effort, considering that the most bizarre demands are made of personal trainers to make ham-beasts into Arnold.
Top kek no. Most of the people who hire trai ners are people who are retarded when it comes to the weightroom, they also probably want to get "toned for summer".Also, people hire trainers as a way to make themselves accountable to actually SHOW up to the gym.
As long as people remain retarded about fitness, there will always be a demand for trainers.
>>
>>33162982

>tfw Linguistics major
>not even listed

Feels generative man.
>>
>>33165113

Seconded, although there was that one spergy "muh Socrates, muh Plato" kid shitting up the Unabomber thread the other day.
>>
>>33164905
become a mob doctor
>>
>>33162982

>Poli sci as shit

Poli sci is just a precursor to law, shouldn't be shit tier
>>
>>33162982
Just get whatever kind of degree you want. Most people don't even end up with a career relevant to their degree; the important this is just getting one, not what it's actually in.
>>
>>33162982
>law and geology over CS

You don't even know what CS is you fucking twit.
>>
File: LSAT scores by major.jpg (232 KB, 878x1298) Image search: [Google]
LSAT scores by major.jpg
232 KB, 878x1298
>>33165586

Yeahk

>implying there's anything scientific about political science

You're right, it should go in Voluntary Indoctrination Tier rather than Shit Tier.
>>
>>33165586
>Poli sci is just a precursor to law, shouldn't be shit tier
It is shit tier because:
> Precursor to another major (you do the same effort, obtain less)
> No politician ever has studied it.
>>
>>33162982

Sure, you will make money from STEM. But Liberal arts create a more enlightened person. Stem teaches you to do tasks, Lib Arts teach you to think.

Why do you think most leaders and people of high positions were in lib arts?
>>
add Graphic Design to that list too

no one will hire you.

Photoshop is easy as fuck to learn if you have a couple hours to spare.

they have tutorials on adobe's website for free, and youtube videos galore.
>>
>computer science
>mid tier
go home and die
>>
>>33165733

False dichotomy. There are enlightening fields that teach critical thinking in both Arts and STEM, and there are full retard fields in both as well.
>>
>>33164908
>philosophy
>not the best major for Law School
>>
>>33165715
TFW Majoring in International Affairs/Relations and taking Foreign languages classes.
>>
>>33165828

Depends. If you specialize in formal logic, political philosophy or ethics, most likely. If you go the Nietzsche route there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
>>
STEM, if you have the brains to get there.

But no extra points for having a vagina or extra melanin.
>>
>>33165924

Which languages?
>>
>>33162982
Well at least I'm double majoring in Psychology and International Business while I become fluent in Chinese.

It could be worse. I could have become a history major.
>>
File: jjjh.jpg (59 KB, 567x850) Image search: [Google]
jjjh.jpg
59 KB, 567x850
>>33165828
Why law school?

Educated poverty.
>>
>>33163087

Daily reminder that only 1 in 4 STEM graduates have STEM related jobs in the U.S.

Daily reminder that Congress is about to increase the limit on H-1B visas to allow in more foreign STEM workers.

Daily reminder that STEM wages have been stagnant since 1998.

>tfw even stem isn't safe in glorious murican economy
>>
>Willingly studying a STEM field
Good goy
>>
Most any major will be good enough for law school, philosophy, Econ, and Poly-Sci are pretty popular if you want to up jump yourself to Top Tier.
>>
all school is worthless

let the kids lern this shit on there own, street smarts more important then book smart
>>
>>33166010

I'm about 90% certain the person that made that image never read Hamlet in their lives.

>>33166042

Every field is either already STEM or distorting the fuck out of itself by trying to become STEM. Look at empirical psychology or analytic philosophy. It's sad as fuck.
>>
File: img_redirect.jpg (11 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
img_redirect.jpg
11 KB, 184x184
>>33164093
>military
>>
I'm an architectural major

Where would that put me on this list?
>>
File: 1405307189971.png (355 KB, 1280x718) Image search: [Google]
1405307189971.png
355 KB, 1280x718
>>33164774
>Payrates start at 18$ an hour

Top kek they sure as fuck don't. Have fun working for "Pro Results TM" in your local golds or La Fitness and haggling with people to make them buy training packages just to be jewed by your own company when they take 25$ from the 30$ session you just sold and trained.
>>
I planning to study Nuclear Engineering

I-Is it g-good??
>>
>mfw kinesiology major

>mfw constantly doubting if im making the right choice
>>
>>33166162

It's a Thanatos Gambit; if you get student loan debt das Juden win; if you join the military Das Juden win.

>>33166184

No idea. I was planning to do arch for a while, but got out when I heard there were nojobs.jpeg
>>
>>33165982
Russian, Arabic, Chinese.
>>
>>33166222

Mighty trips say you should move to Iran and bring bout The Happening.
>>
File: 1402906232587.jpg (107 KB, 600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1402906232587.jpg
107 KB, 600x1200
>>33162982
>OP forgets to put USA edition in

Like it's our fault only eleven courses are viable in the US.
>>
>>33166243
Really? I made 30k a year right out of school. Few years later went up to 60k because I got my certification.
>>
>journalism

you don't need a degree for blogging m8

I suggest you bury those dreams deep inside until you've made a lot of money at some soul sucking but profitable job for ten years or so
>>
File: JFK.jpg (442 KB, 760x970) Image search: [Google]
JFK.jpg
442 KB, 760x970
>>33165729

>no politician has studied political science

wut m8
>>
>>33165085
How good said degree is, a Harvard degree in fine arts would get you less jobs than a Medicine one from a University in Slovakia.
>>
>>33166222

One of the highest paying jobs out of college.
>>
>>33166288
Reported for dissent
>>
>>33162982
How is accounting shit tier?
>>
>>33166329

Its okay, he's just retarded.
>>
>>33166222
Which lectures does it have? Let me whip through it if you have the contents.
>>
Just signed a contract with university today to study Pharmacy.
Is that alright, /pol/?
I'll get to make drugs and shit.
>>
File: chen.png (20 KB, 243x190) Image search: [Google]
chen.png
20 KB, 243x190
>>33162982
explain to me how political science and philosophy are shit tier meanwhile the acceptance rate for those degrees into law school are ridiculously high compared to others?????
>>
>>33166329

Everybody with a brain knows why JFK got POTUS.

Hint: it stands with 'n' and ends with 'epotism'.

>>33166382

Depends on where you are but I'd say he's referring to the glut in the field. Everybody and their dog is doing accounting these days.
>>
>>33166332

Thats actually so false its unbelievable.

Having a Harvard or Yale degree can get you into fields completely unrelated to your major, just because of the prestigious nature of the school
>>
How fucked am I if I major in History with a minor in German?
>>
>>33166426
Philosophy has as stigma of being the job of that kid flipping your burger.
I have no idea about PS so I won't comment.
>>
>Computer science
>mid tier
really ?
>>
>>33166453

>Not wanting the son of based Joe "Krush the Kikes" Kennedy.
>>
>>33166332
That just simply isn't true, the name of a university opens the path to lucrative graduate training schemes in the sort of generic, corporate-managerial career paths that are basically paved towards upper management.

A good example is something like Swire or Jardines Graduate Training Scheme. They'd take a Harvard Grad over an engineering grad from a shitty school because they know full well that most of what you learn for any job, you learn on the job.
>>
>>33166343
Only if you can find a job
>>
>>33166426

You seem to be labouring under the impression that law school is not suicide.

>>33166499

>philosophy
>job

I can tell you never studied philosophy.

>mfw science is literally natural philosophy but STEMtards don't know this.

>>33166486

Do you relish the prospect of teaching?

>>33166545

Irrelevant to the point under discussion. His success had fuck all to do with his major.

Pro-tip: JFK was a ferocious autodidact and very little of his knowledge came from formal education.
>>
File: 1363327686398.jpg (35 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1363327686398.jpg
35 KB, 500x375
>>33166486
>major in History

Dependents on you, and what you want to do.

If you want shit-tons of money, you choose the wrong profession.
>>
>>33162982
What about Film? It's the only thing I care about I don't even care if I'm poor, and I don't want to be a Shekelstein ploy

What do?
>>
>>33166184
My cousin majored in Architecture, and is now working for a top Engineering firm on the East Coast as an Architect. If you're good and it's truly your passion you'll have no problem.

That can be said for literally every major. You can major in literally anything and it will lead to certain fields if you're smart, good with people, creative, and possess communication/charisma and networking abilities.
>>
Chemistry is shit math is mid cs is god
>>
File: melancholytoad.png (76 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
melancholytoad.png
76 KB, 251x242
>am a full-blooded minority with a high Dean's List standing in an engineering curriculum with hundreds of hours of volunteering and work while in school
>apply for scholarships
>get fucking nothing

What the fuck are you guys doing to stay in the black? God fucking damn it, I swear these cocksuckers don't care about merit, only who can feign "oppression" and "adversity"
>>
>>33166635
>That can be said for literally every major. You can major in literally anything and it will lead to certain fields if you're smart, good with people, creative, and possess communication/charisma and networking abilities.

This. End of fucking discussion. Jesus Christ.

I thought /pol/ was better than the turbo-virgins over at /r9k/.
>>
>>33166480
By the time you go into yet another degree and spend more money the guy with the Med degree has managed to equalize his degree to a US/Western yurop one and is already half way through his specialization.

Also no school for example medicine is going to accept a fine art degree in place of a person doing a medically related degree.
>>
>>33166184
Best to get a BS in Civil Engineering, draw and practice architecture as a hobby then get an MS in Architecture.
>>
>>33166617
Everybody working in the law field has done law school. If it were suicide, theyd be dead.
>>
>>33166667
Didn't you hear? White Hispanics are the new white Europeans
>>
>>33166701
To give /pol/ credit, the whole 'STEM vs OTHER' shit has been going on forever.
>>
How useful/useless are the following?

International Relations, Finance, (with the 2nd language being German for either)

Double Major in PoliSci/History with a minor in another language.

Keep in mind this is all undergrad
>>
>>33166737
>White Hispanics
I'm European and what is this
>>
Neuroscience here it's awesome
>>
>>33166564
>any job, you learn on the job.
No. Just no unless it's a shit tier one like working behind a desk or changing a light the average top tier ones like Medicine or Law if you have no relevant background in the subjects you will never manage to learn on the Job.
>>
>>33166737

I'm white hispanic. Does that mean I run shit now?
>>
>>33166424
If you love chemistry good luck for me I always found Pharmacy to be a boring degree.
>>
>>33166154
>never read Hamlet in their lives.
What makes you say that? Because she made a pun on a word?
>>
File: 1371676913721.gif (847 KB, 350x260) Image search: [Google]
1371676913721.gif
847 KB, 350x260
>Political Science
>History
>Shit Tier
>>
>>33166737
b-but I'm 100% Colombian
>>
>>33166848
lol this nigga
>>
>>33166832

Neuroscibro reporting in.

>>33166947

Because everybody who makes these epic maymays gets the mood of the quote completely wrong. If you've actually read Hamlet you don't use an image like in that epic mammay.

What makes you say 'she'?
>>
>>33166769
Can you not become a diplomat or work in an Embassy/Consulate with such credentials
>>
>>33166701
Also: Experience matters as well.
>>
>>33166989

>learn surgery on the job
>what could go wrong
>>
>>33166486
My step-dad majored in History. Graduated from UCLA. He makes almost $100,000 per year working in the tech industry.
>>
>>33166848
>No. Just no unless it's a shit tier one like working behind a desk or changing a light the average top tier ones like Medicine or Law if you have no relevant background in the subjects you will never manage to learn on the Job.

Simply not true. I know lawyers who went straight law school and I know lawyers who went through the paralegal and then law school route.

Both are fairly insistent that the vast majority of what they do on a daily basis was learned while working as a trainee lawyer or paralegal.

Medicine is different of course, and nobody would deny that there should be formalized paths to learn it.

Fuck, my brother works in an investment bank (ABS) and he said he could sit any person with an IQ of 120 at a desk, train them for 6 - 12 months and they'd be able to do what he does without a hitch.
>>
>>33166965
> Implying any of those are useful for a good job position
>>
File: life of simple man.jpg (173 KB, 640x1920) Image search: [Google]
life of simple man.jpg
173 KB, 640x1920
>>33164475
>people will never respect this choice
>you will never be considered academic; people think that your field is quite boring

At least I do get to use that government power once I do get that red collar job in tax administration.

I could have gone and majored in evolutionary biology and ended up as unemployed(only 50% of biologists find job within their field). At least people could then consider me as scientist instead of bureaucrat.
>>
>>33162982
What's the best possible route to go for in Business. Keep in mind I can GTFO and change to something else if need be.
>>
>>33167080
What does he do?
>>
>tfw law masterrace
>>
>>33166034
>implying I'm not going to take my STEM degree and move to New Zealand or some shit to avoid WW3
>>
>>33167024

Wait what? Are you asking a question or making a statement?

Also are there non-gov jobs that you can get with International Relations?
>>
>>33167006
>If you've actually read Hamlet you don't use an image like in that epic mammay.

You do if you're being funny and aren't autistic.

>she

or he
>>
I have math and physics degrees

reminder to sage and report these shitty threads
>>
>>33167120

In order for this his claim to be 'simply not true' you need to find an instance where a person has become a successful lawyer without going to law school.
>>
File: lohengramm.jpg (50 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
lohengramm.jpg
50 KB, 500x375
>>33167162

>picture

DISHONOR! LOGH! I love that episode.
>>
>>33167120
Yes but the Trainee lawyer and Paralegal period are important, the guy said that any job so somebody can just jump into being a lawyer and learn on the spot which isn't true.

Your brother is exaggerating I say the exact same thing about my job as a cardiologist but if you look at it he probably spent shitloads of years studying his ass off to get to where he is and that knowledge is probably helping him make logical decisions in his job, then again I have no knowledge on what a investment banker job entails from day to day so I could be talking absolute shit.
>>
>>33167120
Should specify, ABS = Asset Backed Securities, not the name of a bank. There are also all kinds of people working in investment banks, from english lit grads to engineers - It basically works like this: If you're good enough to take the cognitive tests the bank does for prospective graduates, and perform well at interview, you get taken on as a trainee.

Don't believe this nonsense about how X degree is a ticket to unemployment. As another anon said, if you're actually smart, good at networking and charismatic to some degree, you can get a decent job eventually.
>>
>>33167205
Sorry I forgot the question mark, I was just asking a question. I'm sure there are other jobs why not ask your professors quite a bit in my University were really helpful.
>>
>>33167279
I`ve only watched 55 episodes, so there is still quite the way to go...
But possibly only actually interesting anime, it`s like the writers would be westerners. One of few animu with worth while plot.
>>
>>33167181
Mainly business analysis for a global logistics company. I've heard him doing interviews on the phone before, and the interviewers always question his degree. He just tells them some bullshit about how earning his degree at UCLA helped him to [insert positive character trait].
>>
>>33162982
lol, "law." apparently, OP doesn't realize that those who studied law and passed the bar have some of the highest unemployment rates of all professionals.
>>
>>33167272
>In order for this his claim to be 'simply not true' you need to find an instance where a person has become a successful lawyer without going to law school.

No I don't, I simply need to provide examples of people who say they don't apply what they learned at law school on a daily basis in any meaningful manner.

Do you even understand how law works, you silly spergmeister?

>Get disclosure docs
>Decide what's relevant
>Draw up a list of relevant case law and legislation
>Anticipate opposing arguments
>etc

You're not applying some sort of esoteric theory here, it's basic shit.

>>33167335
>Yes but the Trainee lawyer and Paralegal period are important, the guy said that any job so somebody can just jump into being a lawyer and learn on the spot which isn't true.

Not sure what your point is here, I'm essentially saying that a lot of tertiary education, particularly for finance and law, is largely redundant. The fact that trainee lawyers and paralegals are important is totally unrelated to this assertion. The point is that you could learn all of what's required through trainee programs and paralegal positions to actually get started working on a case as part of a team.

>Your brother is exaggerating

Not really, investment banking is 90% anticipation, risk and communication. I work in a similar position in commercial shipping.
>>
>>33167236

Yes, extremely funny.
>>
File: 1406491964948s.jpg (3 KB, 125x114) Image search: [Google]
1406491964948s.jpg
3 KB, 125x114
I give y'all niggas two useful pieces of information:

1. University (or college for the canailles) ALWAYS pays off in the end. You will be in debt yes, you will spend a few years with shit tier income while your HS/ trade school friends already make 20k per year and feel like millionaires while mocking you. But once you are finished you will easily catch up with these fags in 5 years max. In the long run, even if you pick the most ridiculous of degrees, you will get money. Plus you either get a good life or become a corporate drone. Either way is better than the pleb-life. Trust me. Been there, done that.

2. In my humble opinion, unless you are a high functioning asspie, pick a major where you have both the artes liberales AND STEM elements combined. Sorry for the lack of examples now, but think stuff like geography, man-machine-interfaces etc. If you are just a normal dude with slightly above average intelligence, you will want to have skills as broad as possible. As Arthur C. Clarke already said, specialization is for insects.
>>
>>33166633
If your going to do it, better make as many connections as possible, you'll need em.
>>
>>33166939
Well yeah, it's interesting for me. Drugs have always fascinated me so I guess I'll find it nice.
>>
>>33167468

Come on man, step your game up. Ah whatever, but keep watching. The episode your picture is from will be really great. The Gaiden series are good, don't listen to the plebs saying otherwise.
>>
>>33167575

Have a look at his claim, have a look at your attempted refutation, and see how the two don't match up.

Thanks for calling me a 'spergmeister' based on nothing, by the way.
>>
>>33167722
My claim has consistently been that large portions of tertiary education are redundant and that they do not teach you esoteric skills you're going to apply on a day to day basis unless you're talking about something like medicine or engineering.
>>
Can someone explain me why IT is low tier ?
>>
File: 1406660194455.jpg (450 KB, 1070x898) Image search: [Google]
1406660194455.jpg
450 KB, 1070x898
>>33162982
Fixed the perspective for you.
>>
>>33167575

Do you even understand how law works, you silly spergmeister?

>Get disclosure docs
>Decide what's relevant
>Draw up a list of relevant case law and legislation
>Anticipate opposing arguments
>etc

>You're not applying some sort of esoteric theory here, it's basic shit.

Stop that now you're just embarrassing yourself, I don't care for your friends, the Law school serves an important part in building the foundation for the trainee lawyer.
>The point is that you could learn all of what's required through trainee programs and paralegal positions to actually get started working on a case as part of a team.
That's not the same as being a lawyer from the get go are you following this conversation or what ? Do you want me to greentext the entire conversation?
In the trainee period or paralegal one you're getting handheld where do you get the idea that they will give you Law 101 the moment you become a trainee, they expect you to have the theory from Law school drilled into your head so you can keep up with what is happening.
>>
>>33162982
I am earning a Masters in Education specializing in teacher English to foreign learners how fucked am I?
>>
>>33167880
Because SQL isn't a real language and anyone with half a brain can do IT
>>
I can't take anyone seriously if they're actually ripping on things as basic to the human condition as studying history.

It's fine to shit on what lib arts have become of course, with all the leftism, but to shit on them as a thing to study per se, well, that's just autism.
>>
File: jjjss.jpg (104 KB, 534x800) Image search: [Google]
jjjss.jpg
104 KB, 534x800
>>33167576
I know, right?
A squirrel playing Shakespeare is funny erryday.
>>
>>33167948
>That's not the same as being a lawyer from the get go

I never said this. People aren't "lawyers from get go" even after they complete law school. They're trainees.

>In the trainee period or paralegal one you're getting handheld where do you get the idea that they will give you Law 101 the moment you become a trainee, they expect you to have the theory from Law school drilled into your head so you can keep up with what is happening.

Are you suggesting legal theory is hard to learn?

The vast majority of law school is not legal theory, it's a massive ingestion and then regurgitation of case law around finals time. Legal theory was the smallest part of our legal studies.
>>
>>33167948
You're not getting handheld*
>>
>>33167971
>Works in it
>Find this answer half true
>>
>>33165715

>tfw doing social science and criminal law

Gladly not there but I'm in the UK. P-please Mr employer, g-give me a job
>>
File: 1406051219402.jpg (66 KB, 538x720) Image search: [Google]
1406051219402.jpg
66 KB, 538x720
How many of you are on full-ride scholarships, for not only tuition, but housing, meal, student fees, and everything else? I busted my ass and got nothing for it, I'm fucking pissed
>>
File: baseballguy.jpg (697 B, 15x15) Image search: [Google]
baseballguy.jpg
697 B, 15x15
>>33167920
>Doing math all day
>Boring
mahumud pls
>>
File: 1406143431844.png (496 KB, 1072x946) Image search: [Google]
1406143431844.png
496 KB, 1072x946
>>33162982
>tfw you adore mathematics above all other areas of study but go for engineering because of muh employability

Oh well at least I still kind of enjoy it.
>>
>Did a degree about "multimedia" in college, almost free because socialism
>Since its about technology, I can say I was in sTem right? hehehe...
>That feeling knowing you just did a sub-par degree because it was the path of least resistance

I'd love to have ambition just once in my entire life you know
>>
Gonna be a hematologist
How bored will I be
>>
>>33168269
>ME and CE that low

kill yourself m8
>>
I went Economics+ Math Double Major.

I find both subject interesting, and both are bretty gud in terms of finding a job.
>>
>>33168132
>I never said this. People aren't "lawyers from get go" even after they complete law school. They're trainees.
>>33166564
>you learn for any job, you learn on the job.

>>33168132
And those Case law regurgitation are serving as a basis and gateway to the trainee job it all fits together similar to a domino.
You're not and will not be able to achieve the same results with a random degree in art in comparison to one in Law. There is a reason why this has never happened and never will happen because the premise is stupid to begin with.
>>
>>33168231
I bet whoever made that pic has never caught a catfish for real.
>>
>>33162982

I build mathematical models of linguistic phenomena based on philosophical theories about semantics, implement them in computer algorithms that are trained on the statistics of business news text and test their performance in terms of their ability to predict the outcomes of psychological experiments.

Which tier am I on?

Oh and my undergrad was in physics.
>>
>>33168341
Civil is shit tier. Mech and industrial should switch places though, otherwise that list is perfect.
>>
File: jddjdj.jpg (91 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
jddjdj.jpg
91 KB, 500x750
>>33168434
These days though it is like being a user or something. Multi-variable modeling is pretty much plug and play.

The interpretations are a little more involved, but not all that hard.

The real work comes in writing up and presenting your analysis to other engineers and leadership.

Also, see the cute squirrel. He thinks he is an actor.
>>
>>33168494
>the second oldest profession is shit

lolfaggot, enjoy being an aspie
>>
>>33162982
>like Finance
>not a Jew
>get a degree in Finance
>tfw sucessful

I'm good. I should have learned another language in college though, I would be getting paid more.
>>
>tfw law school

I'm feeling pretty good so far; only one year to go, and I already have strong employment prospects. It's the best investment, in my opinion; shortest time to getting a professional degree.

>>33168231

I get a roughly 75% scholarship, personally.
>>
>>33166704
They can and they do. My eye doctor a graduate of Yale majored in some sort of English studies. He got got into Harvard medical school and became a ophthalmologist.
>>
Graduate Diploma in Law student here.
Racked up debts on 30k+, it's frightening. I'm just hoping I'll be able to survive the next year and finally become a lawyer.
>>
>>33168587

Are you pretending to know what you're talking about?

I could help you sound more convincing if it's important to you.
>>
>>33168231
I got full tuition plus 2500 a year towards housing and meals. Parents are so proud they are paying the rest. Feels good not to have any debt
>>
>>33167920

>Being this blue pilled and plebeian

Nigger kill yourself

Protip: nothing that you do everyday for a living will bring you joy after a while
>>
File: digitied.png (35 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
digitied.png
35 KB, 1024x768
>Online/Auditing University Courses
Get education necessary in an employable field (but no degree)

>University Degree
Suck government cock to get loan (although this isn't made too difficult right now)
Suck academic cock by taking loads of completely unnecessary courses (make work/ego stroking for faculty)
Suck corporate cock by working in menial jobs unrelated to major for decades to pay (note: not pay OFF) student loans
Suck bank cock to get them to go easy on you when you can't pay off loans to their satisfaction
Suck government cock again when defaulted loan goes back to them

>So a diploma is just a piece of paper that says "I suck cock on demand!"
>>
>>33167920
>i will probably put a gun in my mouth by 50
accurate
>>
>>33168926
>tfw have to take my first loan this semester

Fuck this gay life
>>
File: beauty in a quarter of a face.jpg (88 KB, 575x502) Image search: [Google]
beauty in a quarter of a face.jpg
88 KB, 575x502
>>33168879
>and finally become a lawyer.

Where you will not make much money at all.

And be bored out of your gourd.

Is that not right?

Any other lawyerfags in here who are going through it too?
>>
>>33168959
Sadly this is life for around 90% of people in the west.
>>
>>33169043
>Where you will not make much money at all.
Not at first.
We've got to keep going though, there's light at the end of this tunnel (in the form of massive wages and perhaps even politics).
>>
>>33165357
Its in the tier above the others, anon. When things go to shit here and engineers are sucking dick to get low level construction jobs, you can always go somewhere else and teach the language we're speaking right now, or another language entirely.

There's always jobs in someone's society, and if you speak their language, then you're employable. If you can teach this language and speak their language, then you're in demand. People are always wanting to learn another language, English especially.
>>
>>33163944

>Show up at shitty magazine
>Ask for writing job
>Get assigned to astronomy page
>Pump out bullshit, get paid

Not that you need a degree for that
>>
>>33169043

I'm 2 years into law school myself, and I find it perfectly decent. I have a clerk job lined up for after I graduate, and I actually enjoy the work.

Plus, in law there's a lot of room for advancement. It has a very nice salary curve such that you'll be rolling in money by the time you're 45-50. I have literally never met a middle-aged lawyer who is not wealthy.
>>
>>33162982

OP what do I do?

I didn't do to well in high school and I'm now head of my department at Lowes and it pays fairy well, but I always had the dream of becoming an astronomer.
>>
wonder where architecture will get me
>>
>>33169226
>I have literally never met a middle-aged lawyer who is not wealthy.
This, I know a lot of lawyers and they're all atrociously wealthy.
Just gotta work at it for a few decades, we'll get there.
>>
File: 1406616600900.jpg (777 KB, 1500x1056) Image search: [Google]
1406616600900.jpg
777 KB, 1500x1056
>>33169210
>>Pump out bullshit, get paid
What kind of pay are we talking about, anon?
>>
>>33167145
>Brother is English major
>is 26 now
>Manager at a top Advertising Firm in NYC
>makes more money than most people here

>people still believing your major matters
>most people don't even work in fields related to their major

Also:
>Engineering

If you're autistic you have no chances of staying at your job for long. Have fun being outsourced in 10 years.
>>
>>33168959

This guy gets it.
>>
>>33169210
That's "astrology" not "astronomy"

Astrology is the bullshit one. Astronomy is physics applied to the macro scale.
>>
>>33169417
Depends, pay varies but there is decent demand.
My friend was an architect but then decided he wanted to design luxury boats.
He now owns multiple apartments in major cities across the world, has his own luxury ship and doesn't have to work any more.
I'm stuck as a teacher, funny how life works out.
>>
>>33166486
Not at all, just pursue a masters in a more specialized field. If you fail in your specialized field, you can always fall back on teaching history.

If you enjoy history, it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
File: 1345460411971.jpg (30 KB, 182x122) Image search: [Google]
1345460411971.jpg
30 KB, 182x122
>There are people right now on /pol/ who don't study Mechanical engineering for oil and gas technologies

Enjoy your non payed internships and responsible McDonalds jobs
>>
>>33162982
>philosophy
>shit tier

The Acadamy was based around Geometry and Philosophy you ass hat.

>Life Sciences above Economics, Buisness, and Psychology
>>
>>33169622
was it hard? I'm scared as fuck with the ammount of time and work i'll have to put in and I have bad studying habits
>>
>>33163944
Astronomy is the interaction of planets. It's applied physics.

You're thinking of Astrology, which is the belief that the relative position of planets and stars have a significance in your day to day life.
>>
>>33169592
You're confusing with astrophysics though. That's the real shit. Astronomy is just looking through a telescope and cataloguing everything you see
>>
Engineering and Statistics jobs can easily be outsourced within the next 10 years.

In the end, social skills are what's going to keep you employed. Harness your leadership, networking, and social ability or your fucked.
>>
File: thefreshmaker.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
thefreshmaker.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>33168231
>tfw full-ride and white
>>
>>33166034

That's because the word STEM is used for a wider variety of degrees every year.

Bullshit new engineering degrees are added to it that give STEM a shit name.

The main and most important STEM fields - Mechanical engineering, Electrical Engineering and Chemical Engineering are on the rise in both pay and demand.
>>
File: 1405639089153.jpg (12 KB, 219x230) Image search: [Google]
1405639089153.jpg
12 KB, 219x230
>>33162982

Speaking as a CPA, while I clearly understand bean counting does nothing to advance the human condition (although it is helpful in maintaining stable governments and businesses), I'm surprised it gets as much hate as it does.

4 years of school, ready made 60K job upon graduation with steady raises and advancement opportunities, an employer that will pay for not only your masters but your CPA training and tests as well, and infinite opportunities for self employment after that.

What's not to love? I work less than 20 hours a week training small business's bookkeepers and assisting owners in fiscal management, and maybe do 35-40 hours a week during tax time. Last year I took home around $140,000 for sitting on my ass in a tree stand most of the time.

inb4 kike.
>>
>>33164854
Low IQ fag detected.
>>
>>33169789
Astrophysics is a subset of astronomy though.
>>
>>33168434
>I build mathematical models of linguistic phenomena based on philosophical theories about semantics, implement them in computer algorithms that are trained on the statistics of business news text and test their performance in terms of their ability to predict the outcomes of psychological experiments.
Replace "semantics" with "semitics" and I would say that you do what almost every neckbeard on /pol/ does. Except for the fact that every neckbeard on /pol/ works very hard to take bait, incite and participate in shitposting as well.

Before you mentioned your undergrad, I thought you were just being creative about being a /pol/-browsing NEET or something.
>>
>>33169870
The fulfillment I guess.
>>
>>33162982
>Shit Tier History

You can go fuck yourself ignorant faggot
>>
why is IT a low tier carrer?
>>
>>33170094
Well what are you going to do with a degree in history? All you can really do is teach history. History is my favorite subject but it's like there's nothing there.
>>
>>33169852
There are 3 Billion people in China and India (half the world population) and their economy is growing exponentially. Where do you think that will leave you when many of these Chinese and Indian people can do your job for a 1/4 of the price? Where do you think this leaves you when Thailand, Africa, and the majority of the World's countries can do your job for a 1/4 of a price?

Social skills and networking is all that's going to matter in 30 years.
>>
>>33170500
Law, Intelligence Analyst, Consulting.

Transfer to a target and be talented than maybe you'll get a job with a history degree.

Transfer to a Public Ivy, or an actual Ivy if you want to major in the liberal arts and be a talented student.
>>
>>33170500
>bachelor degree
>gets you a job

Just how autistic are you?
>>
Just do an engineering degree. Journalism and film are shit fields in academia. If you were into something like philosophy I'd suggest either a double major or a minor, but there's no real point in subjecting yourself to the horror of university journalism departments.
>>
>>33163679
>This is what a /pol/tard believes

Kek, free school, free univesity and free healthcare master race
>>
>>33163679
But Argentina is white, there is no crime where there are only white friends.
>>
>>33169965

No, seriously I build mathematical models of language. Like using vector spaces and tensors to model how the meanings of words combine in a sentence. The form of these models is related to the theories of philosophers like Wittgenstein or Russell about how semantics works. To actually test the models you have to apply them to something and this requires turning it into a program of some sort. I end up using python a lot, but I also use C, C++, Java, R, and other stuff. Once you have a working program you need to apply it to some actual data, which is often news text from the Wall Street Journal, and you then have to prove the result are relevant to how people actually use language, which needs some sort of psychological experiment, like fMRI, EEG, priming, or something.
>>
>>33162982
not all STEM is equal
unless you want to be a chemistry or bio teacher or something most of those are useless (without medical degree)

go to career outlook handbook (dept of labor U.S.) and pick out a CAREER
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.