[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw Econ major am I doomed guys?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 4
File: mjcryin.jpg (56 KB, 482x371) Image search: [Google]
mjcryin.jpg
56 KB, 482x371
>tfw Econ major
am I doomed guys?
>>
>>32537899
Take some accounting courses, faget.
>>
>>32537899
nobody cares about your blogshit

moot made /biz/ as a containment board for you faggots
>>
>>32537899
We're all doomed. Didn't you hear the news? It happened.
>>
>>32537938
I've taken the first two Accounting classes. what difference will a few classes make?
>>
File: sadfrogwipingtear.jpg (23 KB, 312x247) Image search: [Google]
sadfrogwipingtear.jpg
23 KB, 312x247
>>32537994
they ignore me
>>
you can be very successful if you forget everything you learned and instead tell people what they want to hear.

Write a book about a system of "economics" based around social justice and you'll be made for life
>>
please i dont want to have to depend on my folks after I graduate. im a rising junior, i only have 2 more years to figure this out. I just want to make money and start a family, it shouldnt be this damn hard. you shouldnt have to jump through all these hoops to full God's given mission to be a good husband and father.

ok sorry about the rant, can someone please help me figure out my career
>>
>>32538031
financial and managerial are just basics, you have to take the specialized courses to actually get a job in accounting
>>
>>32538666
fuck i hate accounting......Is there any private sector work out there in idk, Marketing that will taken an Econ graduate? Thats where my real passion is to be honest. I'm really considering adding bullshit to my resume too to fit whatever niche I'm trying to fill since Econ is so broad. In this job market, I think its worth the risk
>>
>>32539032
Marketing is already full of applicants, probably wont find anything there.

Adding BS to your resume is stupid, don't do it. You need to join a club on campus that will help you with recruiters. I'm an accounting major, and I'm a part of BAP, helps a ton with networking.
>>
>>32537899

>econ
>literally one of the best degrees you can get right now short of engineering

Choose both, lil faget. You're gonna be A-okay.
>>
I hope you know the economy of bottle caps.
>>
>>32539032
Marketing is a fair bit IF YOU ARE CHARISMATIC, PERSONABLE AND SOCIABLE. If you are at all even the least bit autistic, you have no chance of getting a job. Doesn't matter if you're doing low level work analyzing statistics, none of that is hard at all and there is always an outgoing guy who can handle it just as well as you and will be more fun to work with. The industry is run by "people people" if you know what I mean, and they seek others who are similar.

You are better off trying to find a job in finance. It shouldn't really be too hard as long as you take at least basic accounting and some finance courses and finance-relevant econ classes like monetary. But then again if you are interested in marketing you would probably hate your life doing finance.

Assuming you aren't a total aspie you should be able to find a sales job, you might not last very long and likely won't get paid a lot if you're not good at it but it's a job that will be somewhat willing to hire you. Again, only if you're not an aspie but there are a lot more sales than marketing jobs especially entry level so it is less difficult to break in.

above all else FIND AN INTERNSHIP NEXT SUMMER NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO. you will NOT find a job other than maybe some bullshit "invest $10k of your own money" finance or $0 salary plus commission sales without an internship, I can guarantee you that.

As far as actually finding a job in econ, that is very doubtful, there are hardly any entry level econ jobs that you can get with a bachelors and they are naturally extremely competitive and only top students which you are clearly not stand a chance. I don't know how smart or dedicated you are but if you do a masters (and do well) you can probably find a decent 50-60k job doing public policy or something. If you can pay you shouldn't have a problem getting in, if you need a scholarship you better work hard now though. And if you really want an econ job, you are gonna need to do a PhD.
>>
>>32539575
I hope you're right. No internships are getting back to me. They all want me to already have experience
>>
>>32539575

Actually, let me add an addendum to that:

>one of the best majors IF AND ONLY IF it's not at a lulz-tier $camU-niversity
>also helps to have good grades
>>
>>32538353
anon, companies and the government love economists
There are a lot of openings for economists in the government, and some nice pay too like 100k+
See for yourself, search economist and/or economy here
https://www.usajobs.gov/
https://www.usajobs.gov/
>>
I've taken my basic accounting classes and really liked them but i'm scared of what i'll get into in the upper level ones.
>>
>>32539575
Econ isn't that much in demand, hes trying to ruse you. It's definitely better than a liberal arts degree, but you will have better luck with a graduate degree.
>>
>econ
Then teach. There will be thousands of suckers such as you
>>
>>32538353
What's your GPA? If it's >3.5 and you feel like you're smart enough to get 170+ on the LSAT, then look toward law school. (Just don't go to any school that's not one of the top 14 or you'll pay 240k for a coin flip's chance of working as a lawyer)
>>
>>32539877
If you don't do well in intermediate you're fucked
>>
Only good if you do your Honours or further study
>>
>>32539032
Nigga you ain't got shit with an Econ undergrad. Get you some work experience while you can still qualify for internships. They disappear after college.
>>
>>32539783

Elements of truth, especially about the top of the class part, but overall way too gloomy, anon.

Econ is a highly desired degree for any bulge bracket financial services firm. My ex got her econ degree at a non-Ivy and was snapped up right out the door, making $130k+bonus now (fml) four years out. This is in DC.

Econ majors are almost always smarter than finance majors; banks know this. Econ majors are also in a whole other tier from the "business" majors of the world.

Have you ever worked in finance? I have. This is my hierarchy:

Econ majors = super chill, smart, normal people.
Physics majors = uptight, brilliant, autists. Engineers = fun but kinda, idk, weird.
Finance majors = borderline retarded
Business majors = full retard
Accounting majors = never hired lel

Econ is the god-tier of the social sciences and everyone wants people who can talk and do math/analysis, which is basically what econ is (centered on math, with philosophy being centered on verbal).

There are a shitload of econ majors graduating right now though, so OP should definitely try to hit top marks. That part is absolutely true. My ex was a 4.0 student, PBK.

Grades make all the difference in the econ market, OP.
>>
>>32540186
I've made a's so far, but i've even had professors admit that the more theory based classes get pretty difficult. I have a professor right now that's a retired fraud analysis for the FBI. Pretty cool stuff
>>
>>32539859
no way my little BA would get me those jobs. I'd be competing with phds
>>32540042
I have something like a 3.0 but I'm not above forging my way to a 3.5+ . Yes im that desperate to not be a neet after I graduate
>>
>>32540430

Forgot to add, if you're doing the financial analyst route:

Fuck an MBA, CFA all the way.

The floor on the lolMBA market is going to drop out in the next three years; CFAs will be more valuable than ever.
>>
>>32540430
>My ex got her econ degree at a non-Ivy and was snapped up right out the door, making $130k+bonus now
do you know what company and any more possibly relevant details?

Econ is the god-tier of the social sciences and everyone wants people who can talk and do math/analysis, which is basically what econ is (centered on math, with philosophy being centered on verbal).
I hope you're right anon.

One more thing guys, I'm actually also majoring in Global Studies but I'm not completely sure I will graduate in time if I dont drop it. Not sure if its worth keeping. This major is gonna require me to take 5 classes in another language (I chose Chinese)
>>
>>32540430
>Econ majors = super chill, smart, normal people.
>Physics majors = uptight, brilliant, autists. Engineers = fun but kinda, idk, weird.
>Finance majors = borderline retarded
>Business majors = full retard
>Accounting majors = never hired lel

>thinking finance and accounting classes are easy
>thinking finance and accounting majors don't get hired

Are you fucking autistic? It looks like some high school senior taking AP Macroeconomics fucking wrote this. Go collect your autism bux, fucking retard.
>>
>>32540647
>CFA
>wiki it
>3 tests
>39% pass rate
not OP but lolno fuck that
>>
>>32540792

Can't be overly specific, but I will say this: it's a private investment firm in Arlington, VA (across the Potomac from DC). I leave it up to your google ability from here.

She was super smart and dedicated, anon; I'm not going to lie to you. But she did not have an elite school background - far from it.

IDK what a global studies is, but don't be a fuckup like me and lose track of the target. I took nearly enough econ courses to graduate with it as a major, but went full retard and did International Relations instead. Big mistake, anon.

Critical thinking/analytical thought is king these days, and econ is the last quantitative major before you go full sperg (math, engineering, physic, etc.). I'm talking to you from direct life experience and the trends I'm seeing in finance right now.

Can do math? You're in!
Can do everything but math? GTFO.

Honestly IDK how English majors are going to be able to eat in the next decade.
>>
>>32540430
yeah well I am an econ major, graduated in May. double majored with math so I was the farthest thing from a business major.

80-90 full time job apps sent out, 1 phone interview, 0 results. About 15-20 internship apps sent out, 2 interviews, got the job offer from the first before the second so turned it down, the internship I did end up getting is through a friend of my mom knowing the company's CFO.

I am a total aspie math nerd so marketing was never even on the table. But econ is not anywhere near as lucrative as you are making it sound. Granted I never did an internship, if I had I probably would have been able to find something and I had a fucktarded job search strategy, but I mean I did research, had a 3.6 GPA and worked a part time job for half of college, I graduated magna cum laude with 7 other econ majors out of like 150-200.

>Econ majors are almost always smarter than finance majors
See here's the thing - they're not. Sure you have your smart ones like me and your gf. But they are a minority among econ majors. The majority is the dumbfuck business major type who struggles with simple algebra. If you are not at the top end of your class with some math/stat/programming background, it's a pretty shit major, you're no smarter than a finance major and know less about actual finance jobs. And it sounds like OP is in that category, so far anyway.
>>
>>32540430
>tfw accounting major
>tfw fellow recently graduated accounting majors already got jobs
>tfw I easily got a job before graduation

>Accounting majors = never hired lel

this is bait
10/10 if OP actually fell for this
>>
>>32541060
>>thinking finance and accounting classes are easy
>>thinking finance and accounting majors don't get hired

>implying he didn't take extensive classes in both as part of his econ major
>implying non-Ivy finance majors get hired without nepotism and accounting majors get hired with a bachelors
>>
>>32541444
>The majority is the dumbfuck business major type who struggles with simple algebra.
well I'm decent at math but this kind of does describe me.
>>
>>32537899

Take multivariate calculus, linear algebra, real analysis and real analysis before you finish college.
>>
>>32542285

*multivariate calculus, linear algebra, mathematical statistics and real analysis
>>
You can get a job with any major as long as you are not a fucking autist like 85% of these fucks
>>
>>32541556
Accounting majors get the shit hired out of them with a bachelors. Way better than any other business school grad. You don't know what you're talking about, breh. The thing about accounting is a business degree + 20 hours of accounting is basically the same desirability as an accounting degree though.
>>
File: nemodadreaction.jpg (38 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
nemodadreaction.jpg
38 KB, 601x601
>>32542346
how about I dont and just say I did?

in all seriousness, I may have to despite my schedule already being hell next semester
>>
>>32541444

It's just so weird for me to hear you say that (type it, w/e), anon.

I'm on the other side and it's like we can't find enough people with your background. We're drowning in Finance and Business majors, with the occasional quant wizard showing up for his $300k starting (more like $80k + 100% bonus, but still).

I think you should keep looking, esp. in mondo markets like NYC/DC.

And yes, Finance fags, I do think you're a lesser major than economics. Do you do some hard math? Absolutely. But I have to work with many of your fellow graduates, and it is night and day the difference between a finance major and an econ major when it comes to communicating complex ideas. Which, you know, in business kind of matters.

Maybe I'm a little bitter - just so tired of having these Finance guys show up day 1 and hit me with

>MUH SERIES 7
>MUH DCF
>MUH CFA SO HARD*

*actual finance major quotes

>>32542166

Well, OP, if you really can't distinguish yourself than I'm afraid the other posters are right - my advice doesn't really apply to you.

Take as much math as you can stand (esp. stats) and graduate with the best quant major possible for you (which still sounds like econ to me).
>>
>>32542884
>Take as much math as you can stand
damn why didnt i think it through freshmen year? I could have done most of it by now
>>
>>32537899

No, not at all. Either go on and complete a PhD or start interning with investment banks your junior year if making money is your primary concern.

I went into the NGO sphere after my bachelor's, directly in the economics field. The work is great and I make about what an econ professor does at a state school.
>>
>>32537899
Econ undergrad is incomplete. The proper career path is to complete a masters in Finance or Accounting.

If you insist on sticking with Econ you need a Ph.D. and at least a Bachelors in Math if you plan to make a career out of it.
>>
>>32543130
>start interning with investment banks
If only it were that easy to land an internship. I shall apply nonetheless
>if making money is your primary concern.
It is
>I went into the NGO sphere after my bachelor's, directly in the economics field.
Nice, can you elaborate? How did you get it? Did you intern at that same place beforehand?
>The work is great and I make about what an econ professor does at a state school.
Yeah, I imagine the analytically portions being rather enjoyable. im guessing what, 40-50k?
>>
>>32537899

You're not doomed as an Economics. I think it just depends on your GPA and whether or not your econ courses are math intensive. If you're getting a Bachelor of Science in Economics, I'd suggest you try and network with people from the Big 4 accounting firms and the Big 3 consulting firms at the start of the fall semester.

If I were you, I'd rather go for the consulting firms because you get better pay and travel frequently. You're a rising junior so this is a perfect chance and try to get an internship at these firms. If you can't get into the Big 3, you can always fall back on the Big 4. They also specialize in consulting, but are as rated 2nd tier firms in the field of consulting.

Another option is to get into the medical/health infosystems field. How? By joining Meditech, McKesson, or Epic and apply to become a programmer or an implementation consultant. The Health Infosystems is a growing field and now is the right time to jump in it. You can become a programmer for these companies because they use a proprietary language to code their programs. The implementation consultant looks like a good route though - if you work as one for a couple of years, you can leave the couple and work on your own making over six figures.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>32542884
Having a good math background, although certainly useful, isn't as good as having a good background in stats, especially econometrics.

I've found that my continuing study into statistics and econometrics is way more fruitful than math.
>>
>>32543525

Also, to follow up on this...

OP if you're still interested in taking Accounting and don't want to start over again, I suggest you look into Northeastern University's MS Accounting/MBA program.

Refer to the link below:
http://www.damore-mckim.northeastern.edu/academic-programs/graduate-programs/dual-degrees/accounting-mba/fast-facts/
>>
>I think it just depends on your GPA
Mediocre
>If you're getting a Bachelor of Science in Economics
Its a BA, I'm fucked.
>The implementation consultant looks like a good route though - if you work as one for a couple of years, you can leave the couple and work on your own making over six figures.
I'll look into this, thanks..

I think more than likely, I'll need to network my ass off and weasel my way into something
>>
>>32543550

This anon gets it.

Stats/econometrics skills = edge over the rest of the crowd.

Although don't discount the power of a solid math degree.
>>
>>32540430
>finance majors
>"borderline retarded"
>double majored in finance and mathematics

Eat it nigger
>>
>>32543875
I definitely don't. They seriously go hand in hand, especially since regression analysis and its offshoots rely so much on linear algebra to understand. But overall, when it comes to actually applying the knowledge given to you in the field, stats wins out.
>>
I graduated with an econ degree from a top US university. We didn't even have a finance/business/accounting major option because they were so held in disdain. So at my school, if you wanted to do anything remotely related to finance, you simply studied economics. This was by design, since there is a veritable perception among employers that economics majors are more intelligent and analytic.

Anyway, OP, I would say you are not doomed as long as you maintain a high GPA, get internships, and are not a total aspie. I received several interview offers last fall and was eventually picked up by a local investment firm where I'm making $75k as a first year analyst. So there's hope.
>>
>>32543969

>not realizing you're the exception to the rule with a math degree

Priceless.
>>
>>32540498
>forging my way to a 3.5+
anyone have any thoughts on this? Do companies typically ask for official/sealed transcripts or check up on GPA/grades? I have like a 3.00 on the dot and I want to bump it up. pls no moralfag replies, im willing to cheat if need be
>>
>>32544050

How's your bonus structure looking, anon, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>32544119
I think there's a few companies that do, but overall from what I've seen, they care way more about your experience than your GPA.
>>
>>32544050
>a first year analyst
what exactly does this job entail? what classes prepare one for that job?
>>
>>32544242
>I think there's a few companies that do
do you remember how they do it? I'm thinking if I just scan and edit mine, they wont notice it.
> they care way more about your experience than your GPA.
Yes thats what I thought. I feel like GPA is almost like a prerequisite though, atleast at first
>>
>>32542884
>I'm on the other side and it's like we can't find enough people with your background.
Chances are I applied for a job at your firm and the HR bitch threw my resume directly in the trash, lol.

>We're drowning in Finance and Business majors, with the occasional quant wizard showing up for his $300k starting (more like $80k + 100% bonus, but still).
Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted to do but since I went to state school the idea of me getting hired for a quant job with a bachelors is just lol. And I think that partly fucked me over because I applied for the more quant related positions where I didn't have a chance rather than the lower level more accessible ones, I applied for a fuckton of different jobs though so meh.

>I think you should keep looking, esp. in mondo markets like NYC/DC.
I'm good, I'm still doing the quant thing but rather than work for a few years and go back to school I'm going to school first, I'm doing a masters that is like 95% funded and leads into a PhD if I can't get a job with that or decide to go that route.

I was under the same impression you were giving, that banks and shit love quant heavy econ guys, that's why I did it, I'm sure it's true if you actually have a solid background of work experience but if you don't it really doesn't help at all, in fact I think I was more screwed trying to set myself up for a kickass position and not having a strong enough resume.

>>32543764
>I'll need to network my ass off and weasel my way into something
This is without a doubt your best option, if you can network good all the shit about what major what school and how good you did doesn't count for shit because you're getting the job either way.
>>
>>32544119
In order to get an internship, recruiters will most likely check your transcripts. Without an internship, your chances of getting a job decrease by a shitload.
>>
>>32544175

Bonus is based on our firm's overall returns compared to a benchmark of similar firms, so bonus pay will vary every year. Anywhere from $5k-$15k can be expected.

>>32544259
I help manage a very large portfolio. We invest in hedge funds, mutual funds, private equity, venture capital, real estate, etc in addition to our own direct positions. On a day-to-day basis I'm monitoring our positions, interpreting the overall macroeconomic climate, and performing due diligence on new opportunities.

The classes I found most helpful were corporate finance, macroeconomics, and money and banking. Corporate finance especially, since it's all about valuations and how firms make business decisions.
>>
File: penisface.jpg (6 KB, 173x173) Image search: [Google]
penisface.jpg
6 KB, 173x173
>>32544476
>shitty GPA
>no internship
well, looks like all I can pray for is muh networking.
>>
>>32544119
>Do companies typically ask for official/sealed transcripts or check up on GPA/grades?
Some more selective corporate companies will require a transcript for their harder, more competitive positions. This isn't very common though and if you aren't go for nationally competitive first year programs it's almost certainly not going to happen. They will also make no attempt to verify that you have an official rather than an unofficial transcript.

If you really want to you can probably pull off cheating, it's a stupid idea though, you are risking getting caught and you could just not mention your GPA anywhere on your resume, it isn't really expected that you would include it if it's less than a 3.5.

Oh, the one exception though, pretty much every entry level government job I applied for does require a transcript, again you could probably cheat but that is somewhat risky just because the only way they will find you out is if they are seriously considering you for a position in the first place and you just got yourself dropped in the trash can if that happens.
>>
>>32544724
shut the fuck up fag you have another year to find an internship and internships are WAY WAY easier to get than real jobs

just dont expect to get paid for it lel
>>
>>32544709

Don't lie, anon. You know all you do all day, errday is flip sheets and discuss whatever CFA level you're about to take.

Ah, to be an analyst again. Nothing but data reconciliation and CFA panic. The good ol' days.
>>
>>32544806
>you could just not mention your GPA anywhere on your resume
Theyre not stupid. An omission is as good as a 2.0 to them, and thats what I may have as far as they know. I'd rather just risk it and apply with a 3.5 or 3.8. I guess I'm a high-risk, high-reward kind of guy
>>
>>32544900
>tfw accounting major
>big 4 internship very likely

awww yiss
>>
>>32543764

It's okay, man. I graduated with a BA too and still got a decent job. Is it possible for you to get a minor in management? I am going to assume that statistics was a core requirement for your major, so I am going to suggest you another route (which is the one I took).

If you're not interested in the consulting route, I would suggest you work your way in supply chain and become a Quality Engineer. I am working at a Fortune 50 Aerospace Company making a decent salary and get to travel for my job. Don't let the "Engineer" in the title fool you. Honest to God, the position is mostly paperwork , with 20% actual engineering work in your perspective commodities (example, I have machining, castings, and forgings).

Don't let your GPA hold you back. If integrity isn't a big deal for you then I suggest you lie about your GPA. During the application, they'll ask for your GPA, but won't verify unless they ask for an OFFICIAL transcript. If you read the job offer letter carefully and other related documents, just make sure that they don't have the rights to get your acquire your official transcript without your permission. Most likely, the only thing they'll do is verify that you graduated college through a third party.

If you're still paranoid about that, then just apply for smaller companies. They are way more lenient on GPA and most likely won't ask for transcripts. Since you're a rising junior, you can get a summer internship, which in turn, can be used as a stepping stone to work for a bigger company.

Good luck, man. You'll be fine.
>>
>>32544940

Ha! I'll give you this. I do do quite a bit of work in excel. And, yes, of course I took level I this past June ;)
>>
>>32545262
Realistic yet encouraging, thanks anon.

>If you're not interested in the consulting route, I would suggest you work your way in supply chain and become a Quality Engineer. I am working at a Fortune 50 Aerospace Company making a decent salary and get to travel for my job. Don't let the "Engineer" in the title fool you. Honest to God, the position is mostly paperwork , with 20% actual engineering work in your perspective commodities (example, I have machining, castings, and forgings).
Could you elaborate a little concerning how you got it? internship?

>management
I may look into this. Dont know if I should drop my GS major

Thanks again man, best answer ITT so far
>>
>>32545262
>work your way in supply chain and become a Quality Engineer
Id be interested in more on this. I'm looking into "Quality Engineer" stuff now, and this looks like stuff I could do
>>
>>32545804

Yep! Sure thing. First off, let's use this Quality Engineer position at General Electric as an example.

Link:
https://xjobs.brassring.com/TGWEbHost/jobdetails.aspx?jobId=1160467&PartnerId=54&SiteId=5346

Look at the essential responsibilities of this position. If you have taken a business class before, I'm sure you have learned something about continuous improvement or six sigma. Most people over look supply chain internships, so that's where I aimed for. With a supply chain internship, you'll get experience with working how product flows through a company and how you can IMPROVE the flow. Along with that, you'll get a chance to work with products that supply to the company that you work for. Which means, you'll get experience with a few commodities.

If you go for a management minor, it is usually required to take a supply chain class. You will learn about on time delivery and what "quality" is for a product.

Now if you can land an internship in supply chain, and take a few classes related to management/business, you should be set to become a Quality Engineer.

Why's that? Because with your Economics degree, you should have taken a statistical class as a core requirement for your degree.

Here is where you stats background comes into play. Look at this shit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_capability

...and then look at the images. Does that shit look familiar? Damn right it does.

If you can look for an entry-level Quality Engineer position, then you'll make it. I got in because I wanted to become more TECHNICAL while applying my knowledge of business and statistics. They've trained me on how to read engineering drawings, and GD&T. You will get to experience inspecting supplier's products and testing to see if they conform to your companies standards through process, product, and QMS auditing.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm rambling. Didn't know how to organize this. Let me know if you need anything else.
>>
>>32547506

Another follow up on this...You don't have to go through supply chain. There is actually a position where they combine supply chain activities with quality engineering.

It's called "Supplier Quality". Check out this internship as an example.
Link:
https://recruit.zoho.com/ats/EmbedIndResult.hr?jodigest=Bgvad1N7F1zi9gdx2Ay4HLX8zjZtYF1tiU7uMrmboyGxRVpdZO..niXqGl.pEI1MnbvencMA2xI-&embedsource=Indeed
>>
>>32547755
>>32547506
You're a genius and yes I have taken Statistics for Business. On top of that, I originally wanted to major in Supply Chain by I didnt get into my top school (long story).

Just one question; as far as internship/first job went, how did they not trash your resume when they saw your major? Even the job you linked as an Engineering degree undergrad as a requirement. Also, what is your current salary/salary prospects looking?
>>
>>32538353
Ever thought of actuarial science?
It's boring as hell but you make a LOT of money for knowing how to pull up the help menu in Excel
>>
>>32545006
Dude no, employers do not give a shit about your GPA, as long as you are passing your classes and know what you're talking about in the interview they could give a fuck, giving it to them without them asking is not a good idea.
>>
>>32550797

>>32541444 this guy here

actuarial science was my first choice
passed my first 2 exams spring of junior year
passed the 2nd in march so it was too late to find an internship, applied for a few but no callbacks
with no experience and 2 exams and a solid gpa and a math and econ degree i did not get a single response
it is hard as fuck to get an actual job and op doesnt sound nearly smart enough to handle the actual math involved past the first couple exams
>>
>>32550852
HR recruiter here if you don't have a GPA of 3.7+ you get trashed immediately, and this is for some shitty office that pays 30k a year, we get hundred of resumes each month mostly university students half of those STEM.
>>
>>32551104
I just graduated in May with a 3.6 and have two exams. I applied to about 15 jobs over the last two weeks and I've been getting a phone interview from a different place pretty much every day. I do have an internship though.

I'm applying all over the country though, if you're just looking in your city you're fucked. There's only a handful of cities looking for entry level actuaries at any given time.

>tfw when median starting salary is 64k with no experience and only goes up from there
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.