[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /po/, I bought a Cameo, I've been playing around with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /po/ - Papercraft & Origami

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: silhouettemainimage1.jpg (18 KB, 1262x364) Image search: [Google]
silhouettemainimage1.jpg
18 KB, 1262x364
Hey /po/,

I bought a Cameo, I've been playing around with it and I've been able to cut things from a pdo or the Cameo's library of designs. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a guide so that I can use it to cut PDFs and diagrams that do not have a PDO.
>>
1. Get Illustrator
2. Open PDF in Illustrator
3. Remove everything but the lines you want to cut or perforate
4. Export DWG/DFX
5. Open that in the Silhouette program
6. Re-size and configure cuts
7. gj
>>
>>533883
Thank you! One more question. I know you can control the depth of the blade, so you can also score the lines. I assume it will only score the mountain folds and valley folds still have to be done by hand. Is that correct?
>>
Score with something round. If you use the blade, the fold will be white.
>>
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 275x184) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11 KB, 275x184
>>533886
Thank you, I didn't think about that. So I could use the Cameo pens (without ink) and it will score all of the fold lines?!
>>
This may work.

Didn!t know there was cameo pens
>>
I am cutting/scoring directly from illustrator via the connect plugin. I got myself the pen-holder accessory and attached a blank ball point pen to it to use as a scoring tool. Works really well once you get the settings right.

Pic related
>>
>>533897

Somehow pic didn't get uploaded.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>533888
Just get this instead.
>>
>>533897
Illustrator plugin? The last time I heard something like that was made, they tried to jew me to buying it.
>Pay 500USD for a Cameo
>Get the shitty bundled software, infinitely inferior to Illustrator
>Find out they've developed an Illustrator plugin
>Pay more to get it :^)
>>
>>533902
500 USD? I got mine for approx 300 USD years back.
>>
>>533898
How did you do the score lines with illustrator? It can control the cameo? I've been doing dotted lines along folding lines.
>>
>>533906
I bought it when it was released and the electronics import tax to Finland is 25% iirc
>>
You can just export as .dxf in illlustrator and import in the Free Silhouette App
>>
>>533910
25% tax? That's heavy.

>>533907
Basically the illustrator plugin allows you to directly insert registration marks, which is very useful if you are printing models with decals and yet want to do a lineless build.

With illustrator, you can separate the cut lines and fold lines into 2 layers and send them both into the cameo cutter application directly.

The next step requires the pen holder attachment with an empty ballpoint pen. "Cut" the foldlines layer(uncheck all other layers) using the attachment. Once done, swap the pen holder with the ratchet blade without unloading the cutting mat. Cut the cutlines using the ratchet blade.
>>
>>533931
You said cut, should I use the same cutting settings (thickness, speed and blade size) as when using the blade?
>>
>>533933

You will have to create a separate profile for the scoring settings. You can select "pen" instead of "blade" in the profile. After selecting that, all you can modify is "depth" and "speed".
>>
>>533934
By depth, do you mean thickness? Or will the illustrator plugin add this new option of depth when selecting the pen.
>>
>>533945

Yeah thickness.
>>
>>533950
Thank you, one last thing. What are your settings for scoring with the pen? Thickness, speed?
>>
File: received_10208278345740583.jpg (106 KB, 1198x2048) Image search: [Google]
received_10208278345740583.jpg
106 KB, 1198x2048
Just got my Cameo today and I've been fucking around with the gross shade of pink that was in the starter bundle. I was really surprised at how much of a 'plug-and-play' device this was.

I bought it mostly so I can make packaging and whatnot for props and jewelry, but I'm looking into making some Figma/Figuarts accessories like arcade cabinets and whatnot.
>>
>>533958

Speed 3, thickness 20 for me(120gsm paper)
>>
HOLY BALLS WHY DIDNT I KNOW ABOUT THIS DEVICE!? I love making papercraft but I hate cutting them out. How well does it handle thicker paper stock? I prefer to use thicker paper for my papercrafts.
>>
>>534045
You have to figure out the right depth and blade size. But it works really well. I just got it and I'm trying to figure out how to score the fold lines without illustrator.
>>
Any alternative to cameo?
>>
File: registrationmarkproblem.jpg (160 KB, 1112x564) Image search: [Google]
registrationmarkproblem.jpg
160 KB, 1112x564
Ok, I bought a Cameo. It arrived today. setting it up, everything seems fine. Only problem is I cant find the button in Pepakura Vewier that applies the Registration Marks to the papercraft print out. Any idea?
>>
>>534149
Nevermind, I think I have it figured out. I didnt have Pepakura Viewer for Silhouette Cameo installed. for some reason its 2 different programs.
>>
>>533972

>WARNING: I'M RETARDED
>comic sans ms

bravo
>>
>>534143

Well, the laser cutter Emblaser do work with paper.

https://darklylabs.com/emblaser-overview/
>>
>>534153
>ships only to americas and shitpostland
why live
>>
>>534143
>>534153
Brother also has cutplotters, and pretty cheap. I can't comment on quality though, currently trying to make up my mind between Cameo and Brother.... or a lasercutter.
>>
File: silhouette-curio-3t_04-xl.jpg (14 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
silhouette-curio-3t_04-xl.jpg
14 KB, 800x533
thinking on getting a Sillouette Curio - less area but adds scoring, engraving and etching.
>>
>>533888
Shit, that will totally work. Now I'm kinda pissed I didn't save any of my empty ones
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.