[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im a super noob and am trying to learn to post process my photos.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Im a super noob and am trying to learn to post process my photos. I've got Lightroom and Google Nik. Do I use exclusively one or the other or do I do some parts in Lightroom and some in Nik? How do I get started on learning all of this stuff? There seems like a lot to learn.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width600
Image Height261
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:04:01 10:56:08
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1200
Image Height630
>>
>>2869036
>>/b/
>>
>>2869036
I'm not trying to be facetious, but it all depends on what you want to do. They are complimentary programs. There is some overlap, but they do different things.

Of the two, I'd say Lr is more foundational. Learn to use it first. Then start trying to incorporate Nik once you've got a handle on it.
>>
>>2869036
>i need to get somewhere
>i've got a pick up truck and a road bike
>which one should i use?

Your question's too vague. Start learning Lightroom. That'll give you a handle on developing a workflow, learning to process raw files, exporting, etc. Nik can do some powerful stuff (especially with B&W), but it's more of a specialized set of tools.
>>
>>2869040
>>2869044
Ok. I'll start learning how to use Lightroom. I assume that the Adobe tutorials are a good place to start, right?
>>
>>2869048
Yeah, they're fine.
>>
Another question if anyone can answer it.

Is it worth using Canon's DPP software rather than Lightroom to process my stuff? I assume DPP will be best tailored to process CR2 files.
>>
>>2869193
False assumption.

Ignore that Canon shit. Adobe's products are a thousand times more powerful.
>>
>>2869193
Canons software might have built in compensation profiles for your lenses. I notice that ,unlike Pentax, Canon doesn't have it built in to light room.
>>
>>2869541
I think that varies by lens though. I know for a fact that lightroom has correction profiles for a lot of my canon lenses built in. It might not have them for older or more obscure lenses though.
>>
>>2869486
>>2869541
>>2869544

Lightroom has lens corrections for all the lenses I have. I'll stick to using it rather than DPP.

Thanks.
>>
Learn Lightroom as much as you can first. Nik has some useful tools that you can use before you actually export your shots (output sharpener, noise reduction) which can come in handy down the line. If you want someplace really friendly to learn LR, check out Photos in Color on youtube
>>
>>2869044
Stop this fucking Nik meme. There's literally nothing you can do on Nik that you can't do using Lightroom, let alone Photoshop.

Learn your fucking masks, adjustment layers and blending modes and you won't need this shitty piece of Google software that will never be updated anymore.

If you're trying to get a look in Photoshop and your first thought is "oh I'll use some third party filter that will rasterize and merge all my layers and brake the non-destructive non-linear workflow" you're fucking retarded.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.