[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Portrait photography
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: QD7_7975.jpg (493 KB, 665x1000) Image search: [Google]
QD7_7975.jpg
493 KB, 665x1000
Hey /p/, I was curious to know if any of you have some experience in portraits with wide angle lenses such as a 28mm, suggestions or stories about your work are welcome!

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D700
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.3 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern740
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)70 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:06:16 12:39:03
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length70.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>Asking about wide-angle portrait
>Posting a 70mm shoot

Seriously /p/ ?
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (80 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
80 KB, 413x395
>wide-angle portrait

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2010:10:16 20:45:06
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width413
Image Height395
>>
>>2864287
>suggestions
Yeah, don't do it. It looks like pure shit 99.8% of the time.

Also, if that's your pic, stop fucking shooting on train tracks. It looks like shit 100% of the time.
>>
>>2864308
>all those leading lines pointing away from the model
>>
I have a 28-280mm lens and I was wondering:
Why should I shoot at 28mm? I often get very far away and zoom all the way in, this way I have "less background". So i can more specifically select the background and crop out stuff like cars or other stuff I don't want in the shots.
>>
>>2864287
I shoot portraits with a 35mm all the time, I want to find a wide aperture 28mm tho
>>
>>2864287
If you want to shoot people with a wide lens, you aren't shooting "portraits" you're shooting environments and stories with people in them. Step one is coming up with a strong theme or narrative to put your subjects in. Step two is spending most of your time looking for an excellent location that supports that theme well. Step three is clearing out all of the distractions from that scene to strengthen the objective. Then you throw your styled model(s) in and light the whole scene up nicely.

It can be done, and it can be done well, but it takes a lot of work, and it's a lot less forgiving than 135mm f/2 from 10 feet away. If you shoot a lame "portrait length" shot, you can still impress a lot of people with how much bokeh you have, and nobody will fault you. If you get lazy with an environmental shot, everyone knows, and your shots look lame as fuck.
>>
>>2864313
Technically speaking, you should try to use a 85-100mm focal length for portraits to flatten them out, especially if you don't have a wide aperture lens. Personally, I shot my last portraits with a kit 18-55 and spent most of my time between 35-45mm, so it all depends on what you like the most.
>>
>>2864313
If you're putting any effort into picking a pleasant location, you might want some background, to give the model room to exist in a world. Tight framing with a blown-away background is really sterile and boring to most people who either didn't take the photo, aren't in the photo, or don't want to have sex with the person in the photo.
>>
>>2864287
A 50mm prime lense with a low f-stop is a good choice for portraits. Compaired to zoom lenses, They're inexpensive.
>>
>>2864311
Exactly hes fucking retarded
>>
It's fine dude. Take pictures of your subject doing cool stuff. It will be rad.
>>
>>2864311
>all those lame as shit, dime-a-dozen First Name Last Name Photography high school senior portrait cliche bullshit

If you can't find leading lines in the world without resorting to the most trite cliche imaginable then you should just go ahead and put your camera up on Craigslist.
>>
I'm sure your subjects will really love the flattering distortion from getting up close with wider angles.

The Stay-Puft marshmallow man was my favorite part of Ghostbusters too!
>>
>>2864304
>Not knowing what environmental portraits are
>>
>>2864893
When did anyone say "getting up close"?
>>
>>2864901
I think you might be confused concerning what a "portrait" is, versus a picture with a person in it
>>
>>2864912
Please feel free to cite some educational and reliable references to educate me.
>>
its important that the backdrop should be interesting or related to the subject; and just place the subject in the middle to minimize distortion. if your background is shit at least you can crop

Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
>>
File: 1cc.png (347 KB, 600x788) Image search: [Google]
1cc.png
347 KB, 600x788
>>2864304
>being this new

boy, you do belong on /p/
>>
>>2864287
i'd let her ride my rails
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.