[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does using a camera with a high megapixel count increase the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: white-shirt.jpg (22 KB, 340x511) Image search: [Google]
white-shirt.jpg
22 KB, 340x511
Does using a camera with a high megapixel count increase the quality of images taken?
>>
>>2845984
It depends on how you define quality, and depends on your other equipment, and your technique.

It won't automatically improve anything, but it will raise the ceiling for what you are capable of producing by a small amount.
>>
>>2845988
>It depends on how you define quality, and depends on your other equipment, and your technique.

all else being equal, ofc
>>
>>2845984
retard detected.
>>
>>2845994
Everything else being equal doesn't help. If the shutter speed is even a little bit too slow, then hand shake or motion blur will remove the resolution advantage. If the lens is not sharp enough, it will remove the resolution advantage. If the light is bland and bad and therefore there are no fine details to pick up because there are no shadows or gradients, then the resolution advantage will be removed. If the photo is of something where detail isn't important, then the high resolution isn't an advantage at all. If the light is low and you need a high ISO, the noise may remove the high resolution advantage.

If you need extremely high resolution, and shape your entire technique and kit around achieving that resolution, and a lower MP camera doesn't get you what you need, then a higher MP count camera may improve the reproducible size of your images. If you don't, or you don't, and you don't, then, no, it will just give you bigger larger files.
>>
Usually yes, more megapixels can produce a higher quality image.
However, the more megapixels you have, the harder it is to utilize that potential for quality.
A good example is my 12mp camera with a full size sensor, records images with much more detail than my phone, which has 24mp, but between the soft lens and heavy noise reduction, doesn't keep up.

As a rule of thumb, I would say this: don't worry about it, just take pictures with whatever camera you can afford and don't concern yourself with such things.
>>
>>2845984
Only up to 4 times the screen resolution. (to cancel out the Bayer filter).

For example: 31.6MP for a UHD screen.

Anything more is only beneficial when cropping or fixing distortion.
>>
megapickles is a meme
>>
File: D3R_5955-bokeh-1200.jpg (73 KB, 1200x798) Image search: [Google]
D3R_5955-bokeh-1200.jpg
73 KB, 1200x798
But of course! Only a full frame 50MP camera can truly capture the moment you always wanted to see! Now here I have a great recommendation for a few cameras (might need a backup body or 6), lenses, tripods, flashes, bags, extra batteries, dildos, filters and much more which will help you with your sh-amazing shots!

Also while you're at it, could you donate to my growing family? They just keep coming out of my wife and I don't know how to stop it

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>2846120
kek
>>
>>2846120
>I don't know how to stop it
you insert you pee-pee into your wifes poo-poo and that should do it
>>
>>2846117

so 8 Mpix for 1080p and 32Mpix for 4K
>>
>>2846120
whaaat? what are you talking about!? i always shoot in 6 megapixel jpeg mode with my nikon d3300, because that camera is incapable of taking a bad photo, in fact you should always shoot in six megapickle mode beccause raw is an amateur format!
>>
>>2845984
no, megapickles is a gimmick that the camera companies use to market to the consumers, thats why low end beginner point and shoots have more megapickles than some high end dslr's because photographers dont give a shit about megapixels

you dont need any more than 12 megapixels
>>
File: preservation_2.jpg (444 KB, 1500x909) Image search: [Google]
preservation_2.jpg
444 KB, 1500x909
>m-muh megapickles
>muh r-resolution

kek, you digibabbies and your digiproblems

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D5000
Camera SoftwareVer.1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.3
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern41078
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)60 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2011:04:13 13:35:49
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/5.3
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length40.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4066
Image Height2464
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
Unique Image IDD2D6B9250DFF47E283BA4F7056117DA2
ISO Speed Used400
Image QualityNORMAL
White BalanceAUTO
Focus ModeAF-A
Flash SettingNORMAL
Flash Compensation0.0 EV
ISO Speed Requested400
Flash Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
AE Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
Lens TypeNikon G Series
Lens Range18.0 - 55.0 mm; f/3.5 - f/5.6
Shooting/Bracketing ModeSingle Frame/Off
Noise ReductionOFF
Camera Actuations1864
Digital Vari-ProgramAUTO
>>
Increases how many pixels you capture
>>
File: IMG_6300.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6300.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
It depends on what you're doing with the pictures, how often you crop your shots to taste if you plan on doing large prints, if you have quality lenses that can utilise their resolving power at the resolution etc

Some cons of high pixel counts include large file size, low dynamic range and light sensitivity as a result of each pixel having to be smaller, normies insisting you don't need a big fancy camera because they heard about something called the megapixel war

There's a workaround for most of those things though. You can even compensate for pixels by making a composite and stitching. There's even that Lumix phone with 40mp and it samples the image down to a still-beautiful, managable size

Pic not related

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 60D
Camera SoftwareDigital Photo Professional
PhotographerLevi Jones
Lens Size18.00 - 35.00 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.1.1
Owner NameLevi Jones
Serial Number-126356363
Lens Name18-35mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2015:06:14 15:31:06
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width5184
Image Height3456
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeCenter-Weighted
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingNormal
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2848211
>needing 10x10cm of film to hold that much detail
>>
>>2848456
But that is a lot of detail.
Film is still useful as an archival medium. It's a physical image that doesn't need decoding to view.
Data encoding standards come and go, but the principles of optics don't change.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.