[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slr clacking and hearing loss
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: ansel-adams-2-olo2v9.jpg (2 MB, 2100x1400) Image search: [Google]
ansel-adams-2-olo2v9.jpg
2 MB, 2100x1400
what up. I have been a photographer for a while now and have gone through hundreds of thousands, probably millions of actuations with slrs and dslrs. One of my close friends (also photog) brought something up to me that had never even crossed my mind after all of these years. slrs and dslrs are loud. We all know that characteristic cha-chunk that they make (though each model has it's own satisfying, unique sound). I mean, we get used to it after a while but after taking a step back, that shit is loud. Anyways, he was asking me if constantly putting a loud sound like that near your ears (up to your face) could affect your hearing over time. I don't know what to make of this. Have any of you hear of photogs using loud ass slrs getting hearing loss? I haven't noticed anything myself, but that doesn't mean anything.

>pic unrelated - props if you know the work

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS-1Ds Mark III
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
PhotographerPeter Essick
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5595
Image Height3730
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution207 dpi
Vertical Resolution207 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2012:01:20 12:16:24
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating125
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias-1/2 EV
Subject DistanceInfinity
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length34.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2100
Image Height1400
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2843607
You're a faggot, your genes are weak.
> muh rabal made me deaf!!! Abluh abluh so saaad!
What a time to be alive.
>>
>>2843610
Did you read what I posted? I'm saying that I think that it is no problem. I'm wondering what others think.
>>
>>2843610
>> muh rabal made me deaf!!! Abluh abluh so saaad!
>What a time to be alive.

lmaoooooooooooo
>>
>>2843610
mad?
>>
>>2843610
You need to take it down like 10 levels m8
>>
>>2843607
what kind of camera gives off a 100db shutter sound?
>>
>>2843607
Constantly putting loud noises up to your face can cause hearing loss, yes. However, a dslr's shutter/mirror noise is not loud, relative to actual loud noises. Hearing loss starts at around 80 to 90 decibels, and a shutter noise is nowhere near that.
>>
>>2843607
As long as you are not shooting bursts of your own ears non stop for hours on daily I bet you will be fine.
>>
>>2843607
This post made me retarded, I'm suing you for recklessly posting it.
>>
File: 1461444064018.jpg (233 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1461444064018.jpg
233 KB, 560x560
>>2843607
>>
>>2843607
what the fuck am I reading
>>
Looks like Ansel Adams
>>
>>2843607
I took that pic, thx for the post.

Btw yes this is a real concern, that's why it's best to wear protective ear plugs when you shoot with an SLR a lot of pros do it.
>>
>>2843607
>if constantly putting a loud sound like that near your ears (up to your face) could affect your hearing over time.

If you're actually worried about this, you're thinking way too hard about it. Your answer is, simply, no.
>>
largest and most important kek of my live thanks op
>>
>>2843674
Pentacon 6 I guess.
>>
yes this is partially why I went mirrorless, years of slrs really damaged my hearing.
>>
>>2843674
Bronica S2. That mirror slap is earth shattering
>>
>>2843881
this. a literal door slam.

t. i have 2 of those monsters.
>>
>>2843881
>>2843900
I was gonna say Hasselblad, but it's not actually all that loud, just "noisy" if that makes sense.
>>
I'd be much more worried about a dislocated retina from the earthquake like shutter shock.

/s
>>
>>2843946
>/s

kys
>>
>>2843607
Goddamn HDR vomit, it's so disgusting to my eyes. You can see how the photographer wanted to show off his new gear with this one. Wooo, in camera HDR. Fuck off fag, nobody cares.
>>
>>2844047
pls be bait
>>
>>2844087

pls be newfag
>>
>>2843955
Result!
>>
>>2844047
topkek, the central dark cloud thing actually makes it look that way though
>>
Totally OT but that has always been one of my favorite Adams pictures ever.
>>
>>2843610
Mad by at least 6 stops
>>
Ok seriously it's not actually deafness but psychological effect where you're so used to hearing it
>>
>>2843607

You some lawyer looking to start a class action lawsuit, or what?
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0bc2Gib6s2e

what is this, golden ears of /p/?
>>
>>2843910
Hasselblads have leaf shutters though. The Bronica S2 has a regular focal plane shutter along with the big ass mirror.
>>
>>2845225
Shutter sound thread?
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Q8OAeJl7CB
>>
>>2845273

of coursh.

now this, this is the sweetest sound my ears ever heard and keep hearing:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1hW5i9xl5mf
>>
>>2844535
Underrated
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.