[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do different lenses have different f-stops for peak performance?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (22 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
22 KB, 470x313
Do different lenses have different f-stops for peak performance?

I know that f/8 to f/11 usually gives the best results.. But I want to know EXACTLY what f-stop each of my lens gives peak performance at.

Like my 14-24mm what f-stop would give me the absolute best results from this lens? Shooting on FF, is there any way to find this out without pixel peeping?

And I know that sounds stupid that I want to find the peak performance but don't want to pixel peep but I just don't want to spend the time trying to find out.
>>
No, all lenses are exactly the same.
>>
If sounds stupid because it is stupid. You're stupid.
>>
you should just test your own lens
>>
>>2838856

Surely some gearfag on the internet somewhere has already done it???
>>
>>2838857
10min work

no need test after f/11
some bodies show worse IQ even after f/6 due to diffraction
>>
File: 20160514-DSC05336_1.jpg (2 MB, 3240x2160) Image search: [Google]
20160514-DSC05336_1.jpg
2 MB, 3240x2160
>>2838853
>AHAHAHAHHHH
>No

>>2838851
Either pixel peeping at a resolution chart, or become a raging homosexual by looking at DxO charts.
If you care about the picture you create, concentrate about the depth of field, not about some sharpness shenanigans.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7M2
Camera SoftwareCapture One 9 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution282 dpi
Vertical Resolution282 dpi
Image Created2016:05:13 21:52:44
Image Created2016:05:13 11:51:08
Exposure Time1/250 sec
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Brightness2.1 EV
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Image Width3240
Image Height2160
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2838869

>AHAHAHAHHHH
>No

Somebody is incapable of detecting blatant sarcasm...
>>
>>2838884
It's because he's clinically autistic
>>
>>2838859

So you can say without doubt that there is absolutrly no difference in sharpness between f/8 and f/11??

I shoot architecture, I want to get the maximum amount of detail possible.
>>
>>2838851
On 35mm, nearly every lens you'll use is best between f/3.5 and f/5.6

You can look at someplace like DxO where they will have tested pretty much every lens out there, and provide information about sharpness at each aperture.

Or, you could realize that sharpness literally doesn't matter, and go out and take photos.

Realize that technique and processing will do much more for your final sharpness than a change in lens (or aperture) will.
>>
>>2838889
No, he's saying that past f/11, on 35mm or APS-C, the image quality is just always going to be worse, no matter the lens. This is caused by diffraction.
>>
>>2838851
OP just use what f-stop you see fit for the subject and light and stop worrying about this kind of bullshit gearfaggotry.
Your downsized exports on the scren or A4 sized prints will cover all the small imperfections. Even bigger prints with good quality paper (read: not that glossy shit you get at Tesco) will cover all the pixel-sized guff.
And just a reminder, you didn't finish the shoot until you put the photo in print. Digital and analog alike.
>>
>>2838851
Yes.

The better the lens, the sooner it becomes diffraction limited.
In theory, a perfect lens would perform best wide open - but to my knowledge no such lens exists.
>>
>>2838930
I disagree.

Knowing how to maximize sharpness can be nice in some situations.
For example when the subject is too far and you don't have a longer lens so you have to crop.
>>
>spent $2000 on a 14-24
>doesn't know how to use it
>doesn't want to take the time to learn
>doesn't want to take the time to experiment
wew lad

are you some blonde trophy housewife or something? just put it in full auto and blaze away
>>
>>2838851
>pixel peeping
You're literally pixel peeping by asking this question.
>>
>>2838903
What about on micro 4/3? What's the limit there?
>>
>>2838942
In what situation? When you masturbate over a sharpness chart? When you browse DxO?
Because it has no real meaning in real life uses.
>>
>>2839009
Less. f/5.6 - f/8
>>
>>2839041
It's almost like you didn't read that whole comment before you replied to it...
>>
OP here,

And you cunts call me the fucking faggot, Jesus.

>hurrdurr just use whatever aperture to get correct exposure
>hurrfuckingdurr just waste time shooting res charts
>THERE IS LITERALLY NO SITUATION WHERE MAXIMUM LENS PERFORMANCE AND IMAGE SHARPNESS COULD BE OF VALUE
>fucking kill yourself only subject matters

As I have stated already I shoot architecture (on a fucking tripod) and image quality is paramount, I am also aware of fucking lens diffraction you faggots, and I also guess what? fucking understand that there may not be too much perceivable difference through EVEN f4 to f11

HOWEVER, that does not mean that it wouldnt be nice to know at what fstop each of my lens attains peak performance for ultimate lens sharpness. Especially as resolution increases, if I knew that my 1424 performed best YES FUCKING SHARPNESS WISE at f/5.6 I wuld literally shoot at f/5.6 90% of the time because thats what my fucking subjects ask for.

Fucking hell.

>triggered
you cunts are just a bunch of faggots
>>
>>2839178

You fucking histrionic crybaby.

Literally any lens review will tell you at what aperture a lens is sharpest. It's usually 3-4 stops down from the maximum.
>>
>>2838851
D700s are so ELITE
>>
>>2838851

shoot a newspaper faggot
>>
>>2839180

>Gives response indicating that he has answered the question
>Has not answered the question

No fucking shit, are you implying that there is DEFINITELY no perceivable difference between f/4 and f/5.6? Even with all the ultra high res sensors coming out? AND that every lens with different optical formula will perform exactly the same way?

No, you bviously wouldnt make that claim because its fucking moronic to imply that, and if there is a fucking difference then where can I find the answer without shooting a fucking newspaper like this cunt said >>2839213
>>
>>2838851

BECAUSE I NEED BEST RESULTS FOR MY SNAPSHIT
>>
>>2838851
just get a sony.
that thing looks ridiculous.
>>
>>2839309

>looks

Priorities, m8.
>>
>>2839309
*throat clearing noise*

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelDSC-HX60V
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5184
Image Height3888
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2016:01:18 17:42:57
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Brightness3.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCloudy Weather
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.30 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width600
Image Height600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationLow
SharpnessNormal
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.