[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think its time for a Photobook Thread. Have you copped anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 12
File: open_road_cover.jpg (124 KB, 1292x1732) Image search: [Google]
open_road_cover.jpg
124 KB, 1292x1732
I think its time for a Photobook Thread.

Have you copped anything interesting recently?

My latest acquisition was Tales of Tono by Daido Moriyama. Stellar print and paper, cute little book, pretty interesting material, shame the language (dont know jap, so cant read the essays at the end, anyone know what they say?).

Saw pic related in a library and it reignited my desire to own it, its fucking huge and the prints are impressive.
>>
>I think its time for a Photobook Cover Thread.

ftfy.
>>
File: SDIM3872.jpg (3 MB, 2640x1760) Image search: [Google]
SDIM3872.jpg
3 MB, 2640x1760
/p/s irrational love of moriyama daido is one of the board's best aspects

definitely not a recent acquisition but still my most favourite photo-book fetish

I've never personally looked at tales of tono so I can't say OP, but if you scan them I don't mind taking a look

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSIGMA
Camera ModelSIGMA DP2X
Camera Software1.01.0.004000000
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)41 mm
Focal Length Range24.2
Firmware Version1.01.0.004
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2011:01:11 03:31:49
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length24.20 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2640
Image Height1760
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Unique Image ID302000000000000025CF2B4D61366436
Drive ModeSINGLE
ResolutionHI
Autofocus ModeAF-S
Focus SettingAF
White BalanceAuto
Exposure ModeA
Metering Mode8
Exposure0
Contrast0
Shadow0
Highlight0
Saturation0
Sharpness0
Fill Light0
Color Adjustment0
QualityFINE
>>
File: SDIM3873.jpg (2 MB, 2640x1760) Image search: [Google]
SDIM3873.jpg
2 MB, 2640x1760
p.s. check it

Equipment MakeSIGMA
Camera ModelSIGMA DP2X
Camera Software1.01.0.004000000
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)41 mm
Focal Length Range24.2
Firmware Version1.01.0.004
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2011:01:11 03:38:54
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length24.20 mm
Image Width2640
Image Height1760
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Unique Image ID3020000000000000CED02B4D34316362
Drive ModeSINGLE
ResolutionHI
Autofocus ModeAF-S
Focus SettingAF
White BalanceAuto
Exposure ModeA
Metering Mode8
Exposure0
Contrast0
Shadow0
Highlight0
Saturation0
Sharpness0
Fill Light0
Color Adjustment0
QualityFINE
>>
>>2832613
>>2832615

oh shit, it's junk. where the fuck you been tristan
>>
>>2832615
mirin.

>>2832613
>I've never personally looked at tales of tono so I can't say OP, but if you scan them I don't mind taking a look

wont scan it because it would destroy it, but ill take like 4 or 5 shots of the inside. its soft, tight and comfy. like a young (post 18yo of course) vagina.
>>
File: Photo on 16-05-06 at 12.28 PM.jpg (144 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 16-05-06 at 12.28 PM.jpg
144 KB, 1080x720
>>2832618
finishing my master's

>>2832621
>because it would destroy it

yeah i know that feel.
I basically destroyed the three provoke facsimiles on the left of >>2832613 so i could get scans of the text and images to work with for papers, of course NOW in the last two years (2015 Houston Museum of Fine Art, 2016 Vienna Albertina/Winterthur Fotomuseum/LE BAL Paris/AIC) there have been exhibitions with far less valuable catalogues that have scans in them. Oh well

Also posting an actual recent purchase in the spirit of the thread, it's three of Takanashi Yutaka's recentish photobooks republished as a single book (it looks cool though because the particular dimensions and paper stocks of the originals are maintained, with the result that it's like three differently sized folios stitched together)

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width1080
Image Height720
>>
>>2832621
How does scanning a book destroy it? Purely ignorance speaking, with no argument intended.
>>
>>2832635

because you force the binding out of its physical limits. in that particular book, btw. other books (ie. coptic binding) can lie pretty fucking flat and can be scanned with no damage to the book.
>>
>>2832613
Fuuuck that Nakahira book is worth well over a grand, i would love to read it, not even my local art museum has it. Funny you post this, my most recent purchase has been pic related

>Provoke: between protest and performance

600 page tome translating the magazines into english and showing the pictures etc. Just came out, i had to get it. The Are Bure Bokeh (Tomatsu, Nakahira, Moriyama) masters are my muthafuckin senseis
>>
>>2832627
that mfah one went oop fast. should have grabbed one at the mfah show but nooo i was unimpressed. shit is like 400 now. might as well just source the reprints
>>
>>2832654
Oh! I was imagining that it was something to do with the light hitting the paper. That makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

I never understood why books and magazines do full two-page spreads without a binding that allows you to see the photo. It's infuriating.

I got a fashion magazine once that wasn't bound at all, and was just all the pages folded in half, which made it excellent for that stuff. It was weird, but cool.
>>
>>2832670
http://www.osiris.co.jp/e/flc_e.html

There's this if you are interested but you probably already know.
>>
File: for-a-language-to-come1.jpg (1 MB, 2479x3491) Image search: [Google]
for-a-language-to-come1.jpg
1 MB, 2479x3491
>>2832670
I just got that catalogue as well, it's easily the best provoke-related publication to date. Not because of the critical/curatorial apparatus (full of institutional and de-radicalizing bullshit like the "discourse" meme as well as neoliberal-tier negri buzzwords like "constituent power")--though even if I don't think the catalogue essays are exactly the best in the field, they're solidly researched. But because of the devotion to reproducing the material in the catalogue so you can properly appreciate them, and not just "indexing" them as plates--in fact it's the only publication to reproduce "provoke 4" (mazu tashikarashisa no sekai o sutero), which has no steidl facsimile (and afaik goes for over 1k euros right now).

Also there's an Osiris reprint of Nakahira's "for a language to come," from 2012 I think. >Pic related
I don't think it includes all the essays that are in the original (this is a chronic issue with the current trend of reprinting/reissuing all these 1960s/70s photobooks for an anglophone and collector market), but those it does have been translated so it's well worth a look.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
PhotographerAustin Parks
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2011:08:29 15:41:44
Image Width2479
Image Height3491
>>
>>2832686
it only has three of the essays
>>
File: new_world_to_come_poster copy.jpg (160 KB, 747x720) Image search: [Google]
new_world_to_come_poster copy.jpg
160 KB, 747x720
>>2832673
>shit is like 400 now

that's crazy, though I do think the catalogue was good, better than the exhibition in fact--when I saw the show in new york the selection felt very small but that was also because it was split between two gallery spaces... Also they only had screening set up for one film, "for a blind right eye"

Image OrientationTop, Right-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width747
Image Height720
>>
File: F1PortraitsOfThe60s-12.jpg (501 KB, 1496x1291) Image search: [Google]
F1PortraitsOfThe60s-12.jpg
501 KB, 1496x1291
Reposting some from my dead book thread.
Photographer is Rainer W Schlegelmilch.

Camera SoftwareDigital Photo Professional
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Width1496
Image Height1291
>>
File: F1PortraitsOfThe60s-15.jpg (828 KB, 1394x1291) Image search: [Google]
F1PortraitsOfThe60s-15.jpg
828 KB, 1394x1291
>>2832696

Image Width1394
Image Height1291
>>
File: F1PortraitsOfThe60s-13.jpg (632 KB, 1500x934) Image search: [Google]
F1PortraitsOfThe60s-13.jpg
632 KB, 1500x934
>>2832697

Image Width1500
Image Height934
>>
>>2832686
I Will look into getting for a language, but i live in New Zealand, you get raped with shipping and exchange rates on just about everything photography.

There have been a few reprints of famous books, but they were all before i started photography and i missed them, now they are hundreds of dollars on ebay. Its such a shame, but i guess part of the reason that makes them so special. I just want to see them, Its like a weird pre internet vibe, there are hardly any scans online, you hear about these books but some of them are actually kind of unobtainable.

Also getting catalogs, seems like getting greatest hits cd's, its cool as a place holder or to give you a glimpse at them, but it just doesnt carry the same weight as a proper autobiographical photo book. You dont get to see all they intended to show you in the order, instead you get a bunch of selections made by some third party which really takes away from getting into the head of the artist.

My grail book would be Moriyama's Hunter. My favourites of his photos come from that book, and i would love to see it in the flesh. The 2011 re release is tiny and lame though, its disappointing. Anybody else got a grail?
>>
>>2832670

its 680 pages holy fuck. do you reccomend it as a purchase?

its like $100, might get a copy.
>>
your thoughts on the current trends? ive seen lots of "mockumentary" and ironic stuff win lots of awards. take this for example:

http://www.janmccullough.co.uk/HOME-INSTRUCTION-MANUAL

that book won the kassel dummy award 2015. bassically a woman rented a house and implemented what she read on internet forums about home setup. she ended with a fakeass hybrid plastic house. gee, of course she did. i see this project more like what youd say to your partner while stoned, a commentary, a crazy idea, but i wouldnt rent a house to perform such a zany and lame experiment, let alone make a book out of it

maybe im getting too old for this shit.
>>
>>2832724
See >>2832686
>it's easily the best provoke-related publication to date
>>
>>2832759

What sites or mediums do you use to keep up with current trends?

Im asking because finding shit out about contemporary art photography on the internet has been difficult, all i can do is look at the greats of the past, how do i keep up with who are the up and comers?
>>
>>2832707
>Anybody else got a grail?

Psychogéographies by Antoine D'Agata. i want the original one, not just the photos in a compilatory trajectory book.
>>
>>2832627
Damn it's been years junk. What're you doing your master's in?
>>
File: 1300148176527.png (106 KB, 850x818) Image search: [Google]
1300148176527.png
106 KB, 850x818
>>2832999
how to be hip to the latest culture industry trends:

1) your local scene (go to talks, openings, screenings, panels, etc., be part of the conversation--pretty simple right?)
2) magazine subscriptions (expensive but necessary, depending on your field--if you go to school or have a good local library you'll probably only have to pay for subscriptions to most specialized and obscure ones)
3) online subject news/museum mailing lists (there are all sorts of email lists you can sign up for to get spammed with news about whatever specific things or subjects you care about, this is also one of the best ways to keep up to date with what is going on locally, as most major cities have lists of this kind.)
3.5) blogs and websites (again this is self-evident but there are A LOT of shit or irrelevant blogs out there so think carefully about which ones you want to waste your time visiting regularly)

>>2833018
art history

>>2832759
although i didn't bother looking at the link in your post i can say that that concept isn't new and has potential but said potential is contingent on its being executed in a context where there's actually something compelling or vital at stake in the contradiction between lived reality and its collective imagination/discursive representation. besides, the way it's set up in the project you described in ur post sounds exactly like the epiphany the r eddit hivemind had years ago when they realized just how retarded and counterproductive the "life hack" meme was/is
>>
>>2833196
>be vague
i get that you want to help anon into being self-sufficient in finding stuff but at least throw a bone out there
>>
>>2832999

there are plenty, but here is a solid starter: "haveanicebook". yeah that photobook video site. search for the books you like and theyll take you to other contemporary authors/collections. follow the links.

>>2833196
>that concept isn't new and has potential but said potential is contingent on its being executed in a context where there's actually something compelling

yup not new but definitely trendy. i dont like that she rented the house. she should have done it on her own, i feel some severe un-ingenuity there, some sort of "im doing this only because itll get big".
>>
File: 1297644700693.jpg (19 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1297644700693.jpg
19 KB, 250x250
>>2833198
okay I didn't want to be too specific or prescriptive not only because the places you should get your info from really depend on ur particular interests, but also because so many of them are shit and wastes of time that I don't even know of many I'd recommend anyway. in any case... mainstream mailing lists like e-flux and caa exist, and magazines like camera austria, texte zur kunst, artforum, october etc. are good points of entry. But imo the best way to start is to google a combination of "your local city/area + gallery openings/artist's talks/exhibitions + mailing list + magazine" and then build outwards from there

oh yeah also another type of mailing list that's worthwhile for photography is that of the publishing houses or booksellers, since most places have newsletters advertising their new releases and stuff
>>
>>2833209
im also going to shill aperture for the hundredth time now .

little brown mushroom has that tumblr where they post links to the photobooks they receive. kind of a publisher mailing list but not really. worth mentioning.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.