[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
School me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: SAM_4281.jpg (4 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
SAM_4281.jpg
4 MB, 5472x3648
Total noob here:
I took some photos while on a ride. If i remember correctly all are shot with the camera's auto HDR mode - took the easy way out.
Will be posting a couple images from slightly different angles.
What I would like tips on the most is composition, but all other tips are very welcome.
Hope my posting this in a new thread is OK by the rules.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelNX2000
Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.0.9
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)30 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2016:04:17 17:18:12
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length20.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width5472
Image Height3648
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: SAM_4282.jpg (4 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
SAM_4282.jpg
4 MB, 5472x3648
>>2818865

Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelNX2000
Image Created2016:04:17 17:18:26
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length20.00 mm
Image Width5472
Image Height3648
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: SAM_4284.jpg (4 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
SAM_4284.jpg
4 MB, 5472x3648
>>2818865

Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelNX2000
Image Created2016:04:17 17:19:07
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length20.00 mm
Image Width5472
Image Height3648
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: SAM_4285.jpg (4 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
SAM_4285.jpg
4 MB, 5472x3648
>>2818865

Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelNX2000
Image Created2016:04:17 17:19:28
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length20.00 mm
Image Width5472
Image Height3648
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
Does no one love the OP?
>>
>>2818865
It's just a picture of a motorcycle. There's nothing compositionally interesting about the photo. There's no context, just a bike in front of a factory. The bike isn't separated or distinguished from the background, it's all in focus. The lighting is very flat

It just looks like you took pictures of your motorcycle as if to document "I was here". I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, just don't have any delusions of artistic prowess.

Also, when you post photos can you keep them down to 1000px on the longest edge (resize in MS paint or whatever works for you). I don't need to load the entirety of your 4mb image just to tell you it's a picture of a bike
>>
File: saki.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
saki.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1000
>>
Lighting is a big issue here. It's way too flat. Composition isn't very interesting. A good start would be to do the same shot on a brighter day with a higher aperture. If you don't have the option on that point and shoot, try portrait mode.
>>
>>2819437
Thanks for that. I can agree with all you said.
But don't get me wrong, my intention was not to make art instantly. I was merely looking for elementary steps in the right direction to make this photo of a motorcycle a pretty photo of a motorcycle.
For example the difference between the first and second photo - is it generaly better to have the factory inline and behind the bike (first photo), so that part of the factory is obscured by the bike, or behind and to the side of the bike(second photo).
Is there a problem with the factory and the bike merging? Is the factory pulling the focus away from the bike when the bike obscures it?

The images being simple and stupid as they are, which one aestheticaly most pleasing?

Any tip in the right direction is welcome.

Thanks
>>
>>2819485
It is a samsung nx 2000 mirrorless so I can shoot manualy. How will the lightning be less flat with higher aperture? I always thought that aperture only influences the dof
>>
>>2818865

The composition is a big problem - your background is very busy and clashes with your subject. I would have tried another angle with the buildings more on the side of the comp and clear sky behind the majority of the bike. Otherwise a longer a focal length and wider aperture could soften up your background a bit.

>>2818867
>>2818872

These ones where you have tried a different composition to clean up background are going in a better direction but still are not good. What is the subject here, the bike or the industrial buildings in the background?

Have a look at some product photography for motorbikes for inspiration and ideas.

>>2819467

Whoever did this please stop.
>>
>>2819489
It's the lighting that makes it flat, that's what I was getting at. A tough of dof will make it better though.
>>
>>2819547
How can the lightning be improved? I can't really make the background darker (except with under exposing it). Should the bike simply get more light? How can one do that outdoors? Do I need gear? Lights, white panel reflectors (whatever they're called), or can it be achieved by playing with the camera? Different time of day?
>>
>>2819508
That is exatctly what I was asking. Thanks.
The subject is the bike but I thought that the industrial setting is a nice background. Maybe i should try playing with clear backgrounds first.
>>
There used to be a great photo rotation on the advrider splash page but I can't seem to find it now. If you can find it, go have a look there and compare the photos to your own.

You need more of the location in the photo. The bike is too big compared to the background, and the background is too far away to be interesting. The bike doesn't need to be directly in the middle of the picture, either.

I suggest you get the bike closer the the background, take a few steps back, and use the highest zoom setting on your lens.
Or get in close with the widest setting.

Also, lower angles are almost always better than eye level. They make both the bike and location more impressive.

>>2819571
>How can the lightning be improved? I can't really make the background darker (except with under exposing it).

Underexpose the background, and fire the flash at the bike. But that will only make the bike stand out more.

Which begs the question - do you want a photo of the bike or a photo of the location with the bike in it?

The best light is the hour surrounding sunset and sunrise.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.