[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I recently learned how they used to make halftones for newsprints
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_na3hyk24g01ronsmao1_1280.jpg (641 KB, 1040x1024) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_na3hyk24g01ronsmao1_1280.jpg
641 KB, 1040x1024
So I recently learned how they used to make halftones for newsprints of photographs. They had a filter that was covered in tiny cones. The intensity of the light passing through the cone determined the size of the dot that would appear on the other side. Does anyone know what the formal term for these sheets are? I'd like to find some to make halftones from film negatives.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNORITSU KOKI
Camera ModelQSS-31
Camera SoftwareQSS-31 G002
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1040
Image Height1024
>>
sounds cool, im interested too.

also DUDE OPIUM LMAO.
>>
>>2804198
If we get a formal name we can look them up properly. Google doesn't give me anything because my phrase is too long.

I've tried everything: "halftone sheets" "halftone negative filter" etc.
>>
>>2804169
Not a 100% sure but I believe newspapers these days are printed use wide-web flexo presses. Based off the assumption that they're being printed flexo it sounds like you're describing a solvent-based photopolymer plate making process where you expose a light-sensitive rubber-like plate to either a positive or a negative of the image to harden the substrate in specific areas to create your dots.

Modern plate making processes etch these these dots using a laser avoiding dealing with the chemicals and the problematic handling and disposal that comes with solvent based plate making. Additionally, digital plate making supposedly provides more uniform dot structure and some interesting flat-top dot shapes.

We outsource the plates we use at our print-shop and I've only been working here for two years so take what I say with a very large grain of salt.

In terms of photopolymer plates you can google "flexo" + dupont, kodak, fujifilm, flint group, asahi, macdermid to name the manufacturers that i know of. You pay per inch of material and we typically pay around $50 per plate. Dont know how you'll apply ink and transfer it to substrate without a printer but have fun anyway.

Camera SoftwarePaint.NET v3.5.10
PhotographerHirt Simone at Gallus Group
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
>>
>>2804228
Dang, okay. Doesn't sound as easy as I thought it might be. I simply want to do this so I can make t-shirt prints. I wonder if a halftone copy of a negative that is sufficiently exposed will have dense enough dots to be suitable for etching the image. I know that normal negatives aren't normally dense enough, and too much of the photosensitive material on the screen gets exposed because of the spaces between the grains of silver.
>>
>>2804233
if you're planning on printing t-shirts why not silk screen them? much cheaper and easier. If you want visible half-tone dots im sure you can emulate it
>>
>>2804236
That's exactly what I intend on doing. To make the screen, you slather it in a photosensitive paste, and then expose it to light passing through an acetate positive. Whatever is exposed is baked on, and whatever isn't washes out. Normal, unaltered negatives simply don't have dense enough dark areas to block the light out. The light would leak through and bake the whole screen solid. I'd need to make half tones for better definition.
>>
They were called halftone screens. Fine or coarse depending on the resolution required for the particular printing process
>>
>>2804251
Do you know where I could buy one?
>>
>>2804260
You are terrible at the internet.

Seriously, how do you even know about 4chan?
>>
>>2804262
I've looked! Google has nothing, probably in part thanks to the shitty fucking personalized results. I looked on Ebay. All I could find was some abandoned 90's garbage website: caprockdev.com.
>>
>>2804263
You might have typed things into google, but you didn't actually read anything. Had you read stuff, you would have realized why you were having problems finding THE "formal" name and you'd have learned that there's other solutions for what you want to do that are much easier...ffs there's even a company devoted to doing this stuff.

In any event, this is much more of a >>>/diy/ thing than a /p/ thing. /p/ doesn't deal with this sort of printing basically at all.
>>
>>2804265
I realise there are digital solutions that are far easier. I want to do it analogue, just for the hell of it. I managed to find more information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AHalftone#halftone_before_digital_processes

Unless you're a mod, I don't see why you should dictate what is appropriate for /p/. I'm talking about printing via film negatives. That falls under /p/'s jurisdiction.
>>
>>2804315
>Digital solutions that are far easier
Who said shit about digital?

>Unless you're a mod, I don't see why you should dictate what is appropriate for /p/.
I'm not "dictating" you fucking passive aggressive loon with the emotional maturity of a toddler. I'm directing you to where you can find better help. DIY has a lot of people who play with this very thing. It's just a slow board. So yeah, fuck you.
>I'm talking about printing via film negatives. That falls under /p/'s jurisdiction.
Protip: it entirely undermines your argument of "I don't see why you should dictate" and then you immediately attempt to dictate that very thing.
>>
>>2804233
You can make tshirt prints with cyanotypes, though. Only thing you need there is a negative the size of your final print, inkjet transparency prints work perfectly.
>>
>>2804240
I had a client try and print his logo on a t shirt and ran into problems since it had so many screens. Not sure how they printed it but what if you bit mapped the photo in Photoshop gradually decreasing the LPI until you got a printable negative? There's a chance that the by the time it's printable the dots are just huge but results could be cool nonetheless and old newsprints used very low line screens
>>
File: halftone.jpg (212 KB, 1442x828) Image search: [Google]
halftone.jpg
212 KB, 1442x828
Have you tried this?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:03:30 14:00:03
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1442
Image Height828
>>
>>2804506
Not OP but I prefer bitmap since you can control dpi and lpi parameters instead of toying around with pixel radius and worrying about print resolution later
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.