[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Website share/critique thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12
File: nik18-140_fot01.jpg (4 MB, 4928x3264) Image search: [Google]
nik18-140_fot01.jpg
4 MB, 4928x3264
Looking for inspiration for my website and thought it'd make a good thread and hopefully get some ideas off of each other. Post them below

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7000
Camera SoftwareVer.1.03
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern980
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)78 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2014:01:27 10:42:47
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias1.7 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceCloudy Weather
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length52.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4928
Image Height3264
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessSoft
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
ISO Speed Used100
Image QualityFINE
White BalanceCLOUDY
Focus ModeAF-S
Flash SettingREAR SLOW
Flash Compensation0.0 EV
ISO Speed Requested100
Flash Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
AE Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
Lens TypeNikon G Series
Lens Range18.0 - 140.0 mm; f/3.5 - f/5.6
Shooting/Bracketing ModeSingle Frame/Off
Noise ReductionOFF
Camera Actuations12303
>>
I had to pull my website because I couldn't afford the hosting fees and never managed to turn a profit as a photographer
>>
File: _MG_4470.jpg (204 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
_MG_4470.jpg
204 KB, 1000x667
>>2804056
I had a thread that just fell off the bottom of the board before. But this is a good reason to shill again.

>Houlbrookepowell.com

Used Squarespace, they are pretty polished, but there is not that much variation. Might use it to start a bit of a blog aswell.

My question to /p/ is, as a fresh photographer looking to break in / get known, less photos available online or more? I guess when no one knows who you are you need to show them your shit as much as you can. Or would i be better holding fire, showing fewer photos so as to keep cards closer to the chest for future projects or potential publications etc.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 600D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:03:22 09:01:48
Exposure Time1/80 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>2804069
>less photos available online or more
Less is more mate, you only keep the best stuff online. Might as well give people the best impression of you as possible. Providing you have regular updates to the site then people wont mind somewhat less content. It all goes tits up when the latest set of images you have is from 3-4 months ago because everything since then has been average commercial work
>>
>>2804069
You might want to add a cover page whilst you complete your about page ect, because atm it looks a bit sparse and unprofessional. Also to encourage users to explore your website it might be beneficial to have multiple sections, for example instead of just having your photos as soon as you enter your website maybe have a welcome page and a gallery page with various sections. Decent photos though dude
>>
I've been thinking about restructuring, I want it to be more project-oriented rather than category-oriented. That seems like it might be more professional.

>averybibeau.com

Does anyone have opinions about grid style vs list style? I like only seeing one image at a time but I'm starting to think a grid would be better for projects with lots of images so the whole thing can be seen at once.
>>
File: 1459218798296.jpg (40 KB, 455x368) Image search: [Google]
1459218798296.jpg
40 KB, 455x368
http://www.reagandpufall.com/

>>2804069
>Houlbrookepowell.com
Remove or change the square icon that appears in the tab. Besides that it's a recognizable template, it really quite strongly shows it's from squarespace. Also take down the prints page until it's ready.

>>2804230
>list style
It's only a must if sequencing is important. Also get some more text on there and list an email somewhere. Some people just hate using forms.
>>
>>2804259
>http://www.reagandpufall.com/

Wow, impressive photos, you are good. Usualy i hate landscapes but yours are really epic, the manti'? pretty buzzy.

The only thing is i wouldnt lead with the mantis... its yeah really interesting, but also kinda fucking weird. Especially when the first gallery you go into is the mantis and dead mantis and shit. I reckon start with the landscapes I know it seems mundane but they are really good and eye catching.

btw..... I can tell you are a weird dude, talented, but weird as fuck. Keep it up.
>>
>>2804230
Really nice, I don't like the empty black page, but the photos are really nice. The colours and lights of Diane Coffee are stunning. The People shot too. How old are you ?
>>2804259
Wow that's a strange work but I really appreciate it. I remind me some Foncuberta works. I don't agree with >>2804564
Showing first the Mantis, and all the work you've done show us that you're are really interested in. Nice work !

http://photogenicunicorn.myportfolio.com
>>
File: 1458525891334.gif (2 MB, 370x319) Image search: [Google]
1458525891334.gif
2 MB, 370x319
>>2804564
>http://photogenicunicorn.myportfolio.com
I lead with the mantises because I intend to phase out the landscape work. Im still pretty attached to it which is why it's still up at all. Thanks though
>btw..... I can tell you are a weird dude, talented, but weird as fuck. Keep it up.
Why does everything think raising bugs is weird?

>>2804825
Play with your homepage in different screen resolutions. It doesn't look so great on huge screens and on small screens feels like a business card. I would lose the iris+name logo unless you're trying to sell yourself as a freelance portrait photographer and drop the "Welcome to my portfolio" If you can delete the line on the bottom saying powered by adobe and if you decide to get serious buy a proper domain. Consider removing your phone number, it's a needless risk and most people prefer to email. The back to the top link at the bottom is useful for the photo pages but not on the about page and the contact page. As always more good text would help a lot.

Your website runs smoothly the layout is fine at normal screen sizes. I would play with sequencing your images more and do so in a book format setting which you could then use on the website (eg it would show 1-2 photots at time and would scroll over or down to show more.

>Foncuberta
how do I miss these things.....thanks
>>
>>2804967
Thank you for the really constructive critic, I will take note of everything you said.
And for Foncuberta you might not like it, but Landscape + mantis make me think about him.
>>
>>2804056
>>2804063
>>2804069
Wordpress and host it either cheaply or yourself, the pi is good enough.

HTTP://2megapixels.com
>WP
>site origin
>compatible theme with woocommerce
>???
>proft
>>
>>2804825
Thanks, I'm 20 and started taking my work seriously about 8 months ago. I'm glad to hear the lights and colors stand out, I try to pay a lot of attention to colored lighting in my work.
>>
>>2804056

>http://www.alexfodenphotography.com

There's some really good critiques going on in this thread so I thought I'd throw my website into the mix as well. I've recently updated my website and tried to go for a more modern, professional look. I still need to reword some text/cut down on some of the images.

Oh and the panorama looks funky on mobile I'm going to try and see if I can change the scaling percentage because atm it crops to the middle of the panorama
>>
I bought a domain and would like to make a website/portfolio. I'm not a professional but I'd like a place to display my pictures in one place, especially since my pictures are currently scattered over a few services:

- Flickr, which I keep as a "Top 100" gallery of what I consider my best 100 pictures, but not organized into themes, categories, or projects
- Instagram, which consists of a mix of personal snapshits taken with my phone and some of my flickr pictures
- Tumblr, which is where I used to upload a lot of my film scans as well as snapshots, but I haven't shot film in a good while and I'm more selective of which pictures I keep so I haven't uploaded anything to my Tumblr in a good while
- Facebook, pictures of my family and friends basically

So I was basically thinking of "consolidating" all of these into my website, in a way. I would organize my flickr photos into categories (making flickr unnecessary), keep my Instagram for personal phone snapshits (and maybe making a new one for my "site"), keeping my Facebook for personal and family stuff, and either deleting my tumblr or keeping it as a blog/film snapshit depository.

What do y'all recommend?
>>
>>2806743
wordpress, find a decent looking photography theme, then roll with that.

It'll take you a solid afternoon to figure it out if you've never dicked with such before, but wordpress is hella well documented and has a great community for support.

Plus free (there are great paid themes out there, but with what you're talking about probably isn't worth spending money).
>>
>>2806752
arent they prone to getting hacked
>>
>>2806799
Use a strong password and keep up to date on your updates.
>>
>>2804259
truly an inspiration, love the artificial landscapes
>>
>>2804069
I'm not a fan of that style of side scrolling. Incoming images are cutoff weird and the whole thing is too distracting. I much prefer seeing one image at a time in large view. As far as number of photos online goes, I really don't think it matters as long as the ones you put online are top notch. I would only hold images back if you're working on a particular series and wanting to make a zine or something.

>>2804230
In terms of a website I really dig the simplicity. The fades are great and it loads fast. I think restructuring would do you some good. I personally only like seeing one image at a time. The image set feels more like a story and it forces people to go through them in the order you intended.

>>2804259
I really really enjoy the simplicity. You have so many damn photos though. I don't think anyone will ever go through all of your landscape photos. Seeing how many there are at once makes going through them seem daunting. Edit them down and break them into smaller galleries. There are definitely a few that should be tossed out. The mantis portraits are killer though.

>>2805424
I like some of the architectural photos in your film gallery. As a website it's clean. I don't like how in the thumbnail view all of the images are cropped vertical. At first I thought that's all you shot. It's strange how some are cropped because they are actually horizontal while others aren't cropped since they were shot vertical.

Here's my site. I know it has a lot of shortcomings. Wrapping up a project this month and then I'm planning taking it to wordpress (something I've never worked with before). Comments on anything would be much appreciated!
>www.andrewtomchyshyn.com
>>
File: fgnhgv.png (20 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fgnhgv.png
20 KB, 1920x1080
>>2807893
wow m8
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (472 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
472 KB, 1920x1200
>>2807935
Just tried again and it opens up fine for me?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:04:05 09:53:50
Image Width1920
Image Height1200
>>
>>2806743 here.

What do y'all think?

http://carloscapetillo.com/
>>
>>2808380
Fuck it, took everything offline and starting the process of a wordpress build.
>>
>>2808395
Already looks better even with the basic structure. I looked at your source code on your other website and it was abysmal, definitely learn some more basics of HTML/CSS because it'll benefit you a lot in the long run. Also how the fuck can someone even copyright a simple slideshow lol. Looking forward to see where this goes, update us when you've finished
>>
File: 23886229804_e5f61d4e91_z.jpg (96 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
23886229804_e5f61d4e91_z.jpg
96 KB, 640x427
>www.aleczabrecky.com

squarespace as well. For the price you can do a lot and its very easy to update. I use the blog to post some keepers but leave the rest of the site for my best work.
>>
>>2809010
How about providing some thoughts on some of the other websites posted in this thread?
>>
>>2809003
Haha, yeah it was abysmal.

Got everything back up and it looks so much better. Going to to add a current photo project, update the Design/Build section with actual builds from concept to completion. and complete the about field. I also would love to figure out if I can make the transition between pages fade the same as the image galleries.

Anyway, here it is again...
>>
Are websites worth it?

Would they serve a better purpose than just a tumblr or na?
>>
Like many in here, recently converted to squarespace due to lots of things, particularly ease of updates.

http://www.matthewscottcosslett.com
>>
>>2804259
Glad to see you're still here NG.
>>
>>2807893
nuke a fair chunk of the landscapes

>>2810362
shhhhhh, I still post occasionally but almost never with a trip now, way too much drama
>>
www.ryanlindborg.com

>>2810336
enjoy your stuff!
>>
>>2810730
Do you mean the Somewhere set specifically? Or across the Lost and Somewhere sets? The Somewhere set is definitely long (24 images) vs 10-15 in the others.

Cheers for the feedback NG
>>
>>2810868
cheers, i enjoy yours too. In terms of your site maybe swap the prominence of 'home' and 'contact' with 'projects' and 'places'
>>
>>2810922
just of out the landscape set, I dropped down the number in there drastically. Not necessarily the best but the ones I'm more interested in
>>
File: image695.jpg (260 KB, 1024x805) Image search: [Google]
image695.jpg
260 KB, 1024x805
I just switched to squarespace a few months ago so I wouldn't mind some thoughts on the new layout.

http://www.alexburkephoto.com/

I'm hoping it's rather similar to my wordpress site from a user's view. I removed a lot of the photos and split up a few of the galleries. For example, mountains used to be all images *from* the mountains and now it is all images that have obvious mountains in them, and the rest were split into other categories. The website is pretty finished though I'm still fixing a few really old blog posts that died during the transfer. I'm thinking about adding a menu tab called "learning" for all of my educational blog posts.

>>2804069
I've never been a fan of side-scrolling sites, they are just hard on my eyes and don't work well for me. As for your question, I think it's important to show your best. If you have a ton of mediocre combined with your best it can bring down the overall first impression of your work.

>>2804230
It's simple, almost a bit too spartan but works very well. I agree you should have a touch more text and info about yourself. People want to hear a little more of a story, and you could let people know that band shoots are a thing you do. I almost think you should have a photo on the home page but respect that you're going for incredibly simple.

>>2804259
>http://www.reagandpufall.com/
Shit! The mounted skins are insane looking. That's a wild process and would be very cool to see in person. It looks like you've tended to your site quite a bit since I've last looked and it's nice. Though since it's squarespace you and me have practically the same site. That was one thing that made me sad about switching :/

>>2805424
It's a clean site and well laid out. I don't know if you're using some really high res files, but the intro images to each gallery loaded very slowly for me. Like 5 seconds slow, which is an eternity online. Otherwise a good site.

>>2807893
My post is getting too long, I'll continue

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2014:06:11 21:50:20
Image Width1024
Image Height805
>>
>>2807893
Continued... I've always been a really big fan of your photography, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding my favorite images on your website. I don't think I really like the slideshow for each gallery, and since I'm an average human I have just as little patience as everyone else when I'm online. I think I'd like to be able to see thumbnails so I can quickly find my favorites and then stare at them for an hour.
>>
File: _MG_5229v2klein.jpg (596 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
_MG_5229v2klein.jpg
596 KB, 1500x1000
How do you guys sell prints?

http://robinfranzmann.com/
>>
>>2811771
why did you switch to squarespace? Seems like a step back coming from wordpress.

Really well organized site tho. The Pictures are a bit small. Especially the pano's would look much better if they were bigger.
>>
>>2811778
>http://robinfranzmann.com/
Nice photos. I like your stuff.

Dont like the entrance to your site though, it seems confusing and sorta useless. Also the see more button on the front of the website... I havent seen anything yet, so that could change.

Other than that, you got a cool style and it emenates through the whole website. I like the ammount of photos you used in each project, not too many, but enough to get the gist that you got skills

Keep it up
>>
>>2811778
>>2811925

I agree with this guy, photos are really quality, but the entrance to your website is confusing and unnecessary.

The rest of your website is great though. i like the ammount of photos you have selected. Its not a spam of mediocre shit, but its enough to show that you know what your doing.

Keep it up, post more of your stuff here
>>
>>2811778
Do you do graphic design on your website? Otherwise the cover image is confusing
>>
>>2811772
Cheers AleAlex! Personally I enjoy forcing the viewer to follow a particular order but I understand where you're coming from. I'll try to figure out how to add a thumbnail option! I have so many images I'd like to include on my website but they just don't fit into a particular series... Going the thumbnail route like you're suggesting would solve that problem though.

Your website looks killer. I honestly wouldn't change a thing. What did you switch to squarespade from?
>>
>>2816955
Fuck the multiple auto-correct errors in my post...
>>
>>2811771
Make your pics bigger. The changing aspect ratio in your slider is a bit annoying. I'd seriously consider a full screen slider. You want to jump out at your audience if you want to sell prints. Make them feel a part of your images, just having a small slider isn't enough.
>>
>>2811778
Your image load times are excessive. I would have left by the second image if I was a typical user. I recommend trying to optimise them further.
>>
>>2804069
I love your style. That sideways slider in the gallery section is pretty gimped though.
>>
>>2806799
Stick with well supported themes and you'll be safe. My mate got his site owned since he didn't update his shit and used some shitty slider plugin and so I had to clean it up for him and reinstall WP.
>>
If you aren't selling anything, is their any reason to create a site?
>>
>>2816971
Sure. If you want a personal place to keep sets of images that isn't flickr/tumblr/etc a website is a great choice.

It's not like it's expensive or too time consuming. I'll eventually use mine to apply to architecture schools when that time comes around and I've uploaded some of my projects from undergrad.
>>
>>2816979
I'm a webdev by trade, every reason to create a site, I just don't see the value for your average photographer. I'm pretty happy on 500px myself.
>>
>>2811771
>http://www.alexburkephoto.com/
I would drop your phone number. Can you realistically envision a time someone would need to call you over email you for the first point of contact? Shop should have an ebook selection in the drop down, sure it's redundant but it should be there. That said I would consider condensing shop, ebooks, and pricing under one drop down.

>Though since it's squarespace you and me have practically the same site. That was one thing that made me sad about switching :/

Yeah sure they're similar but not enough so be particularly noticeable. We've done enough different things with the template that it's fine.

>Shit! The mounted skins are insane looking.
I've been having to pay someone to do the actual mounting because of equipment. Success rate is about 1in 5 so not great and they're expensive to make. I have an idea how to do it in glass but I don't have the cash on hand to get the supplies and do the test. Framing is cheap enough, ignoring the time commitment I'm only $70ish to make a boss light up frame.

Looking forward to seeing you in June.
>>
File: ALSO SMALL.jpg (214 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
ALSO SMALL.jpg
214 KB, 1000x750
http://wyattslate.com/

needs to be refreshed soon

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 6
Camera SoftwarePhotos 1.0.1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:12:08 17:01:34
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating160
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness2.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length4.15 mm
CommentProcessed with VSCOcam with a6 preset
Image Width1000
Image Height750
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2817081
thanks dude
>>
>>2804259
Gud.
>>
File: leaf-small.jpg (394 KB, 1000x669) Image search: [Google]
leaf-small.jpg
394 KB, 1000x669
http://lenny.photography

Nothing good is on there yet. Haven't traveled much recently.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON 1 J1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)51 mm
Image Created2016:03:15 16:52:27
Exposure Time1/640 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/6.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCloudy Weather
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length18.90 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1000
Image Height669
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2819112
dude pretty impressed not gonna lie
>>
http://www.alinacelik.com/

simple
>>
>>2819112
>>2824311
>>2824673
Why don't you fuckers comment on some of the other websites instead of just posting your's?
>>
>>2825141
I have.
>>
>>2825141

bro that's what these threads are for.

no one ever gets any new flickr, instagram or 500px followers because no one actually follows through on the links. they just post theirs in case someone says something new.

don't want to fuck up your follower-to-following ratio, nahmean?
>>
http://www.msmartwork.com

>>2824673
Cover page doesn't really grab attention in an effective way, in my opinion.

>>2810868
>>2810336
>>2809010
Are these all the same squarespace themes?
>>
>>2825147
dont be a homosharus faggys
>>
thoughts?

http://coyotesnap.com
>>
>>2826331
Could you get any slower servers? Layout seems decent at first glance just ffs buy faster serversssssss. No one will look at your stuff if it loads like dial up
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.