[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bad, but educationally Interesting Cinematography?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
i Just watched black mass, wtf?.
what is the deal with this bokeh effect? is it a lens with just two aperture blades? which lens would that be?
Its nice sometimes in the film, when it works in unison with straight lines and patterns, but they've used it wayyyy too much in this film.

Also the spherical distortion is really bothering and distracting sometimes when shooting corridors and the lines are bending almost fisheye-like. and the anamorphic lens makes the cars look like 1 passenger cars several times. wtf did they think?

Like, the cinematography is done really good sometimes in the film, but theres too much technical blunders and lots of mediocre shots with poor lightwork.

ITT: films with Interesting-bad cinematography. do you guys have some similar experiences?
>>
>>2802581
>Like, the cinematography is done really good sometimes in the film, but theres too much technical blunders and lots of mediocre shots with poor lightwork.

>sincerely, a non-cinematographer
>>
Sounds like this year is going to be full of crappy films.

>Black mass - Cinematographer given too much freedom.
>High Rise - Visually and narratively confusing and nauseating.
>Batman vs Superman - Consistently weak reviews so far, boring, uninspired.
>>
>>2802651
>Black mass
>this year
That shit went out of cinemas at the start of the year. Was released in November yo. I missed it because I was in hospital.
>>
>>2802683
>I was in hospital

It's a place not a state of being. You were in 'a' hospital.
>>
>>2802707
>It's a place not a state of being
I've barely lived my life since I was admitted. I never checked out of hospital. I'm still just a human in name only. I only exist as long as I breathe and have free thoughts.

pls give me my life back ;___;
>>
Batman Vs Superman's cinematography is pretty bad... so many awkward shots and horrendous blocking.
>>
>>2802713

That's direction, not cinematography.
>>
>>2802581
For me, sometimes some pretty sweet cinematography can make the film for me. That being said, I really did not like Black Mass. It would need to have some incredible shots to make up for the lack of character development and the poor script. I attribute this to the film being all-around too ambitious, in every category. Outdoor lighting was really poor, uninspired and purposeless color grading, and poor use of anamorphic lenses.

It was kinda going for a Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy-vibe but there are far better films along these lines. I'd watch that because its great and educational if you're after cinema inspo. Also along the lines of these and better films are Killing Them Softly and Sicario. Understated dramas/thrillers with beautiful visuals.
>>
>>2802723
>That's direction, not cinematography.

look at him and laugh.
>>
i liked the photo work at True Detective S1.
>>
>>2802832

Excellent riposte.
>>
>>2802832
You sound like a dumb motherfucker, go back to /tv/. But in an unrelated note, Batman v Superman had a cinematographer?
>>
>>2802830
killing them soflty is fucking great.
>>
>>2802651
what an uneducated post
watch more films before spouting shit
>>
>>2802950
Agreed, how this didn't get more press is beyond me.
>>
Sicario
>>
>>2803082
'no'
the way alejandro is hidden in the frame is great
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.