[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /p/'s thoughts on Leicas? I just inherited a flawless
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: masterrace.jpg (163 KB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
masterrace.jpg
163 KB, 1440x960
What are /p/'s thoughts on Leicas? I just inherited a flawless M3 and absolutely love it. It kind of makes me never want to buy a DSLR.
>>
>>2796976
They're beautiful, well-made cameras that are fun to shoot with. Film ones are nice, digital ones are decent but expensive so some poor/p/hags are sour grapes about it.

They almost feel like a part of you if you can get good with it.

Use the gear thread next time. Read the sticky before posting.
>>
>>2796976
The film Leicas are lovely cameras. Holding one and operating one you can feel that it's worth the money. It's the same sort of mechanical, tactile feel as a firearm. My one gripe with them is their weirdass film loading system. Why couldn't they do a swing-door back like literally every other film camera in existence.

The digital Leica's on the other hand really don't fire my rockets. Impractically expensive and really offer nothing more than being the only digital rangefinder on the market. Having operated a Fuji X Pro 1 and a Leica M9 back to back, I can say there's a difference between the two, but it isn't $6000 of difference. I'd really rather spend the money on an X Pro, some great M mount glass and a film Leica than buy a digital Leica that will be outdated in 2 or 3 years
>>
not really versatile but shines at a really particular type of shooting

think streety travely snaps and some casual portraiture

also prices for digital are nothing but ridiculous, think of digital leica like a sports car that has the function to drive stick but you're not going to use it 95% of the time
>>
File: leica.jpg (549 KB, 1000x702) Image search: [Google]
leica.jpg
549 KB, 1000x702
I like my Leica, it is hands down the best 35mm camera made, its my second favourite camera, right behind my Crown Graphic

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeRICOH
Camera ModelGXR S10
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.4
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2013:06:20 02:40:42
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/3.1
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/3.1
Brightness-0.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length8.30 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1000
Image Height702
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
>>
The M3 is such a fantastic camera. I have one and it is just the shit. Nothing superfluous, built like a tank, looks beautiful while still being discreet.

Their digital cameras, at least the rangefinders, are dope and I would be lying if I said I didn't want one, but I don't think they're worth the money. I just use zone focusing plus the optical viewfinder on the X pro and it's the same experience. No rangefinder, but I rarely actually focus with the rangefinder.
>>
Going to eventually upgrade my current film camera (Yashica Electro GSM)
Was thinking going for a used M6?
>>
>>2797152
Are you talking about the Electro 35 GSN? I'm thinking about getting one but I'm worried about the "Pad Of Death" problem, did you experience it? And is getting one with a degenerated pad?
>>
>>2797165
Yeah I have the 35 GSN*
I bought one in mint condition from a guy who (supposedly) had it cleaned and adjusted recently so I've had no issues thus far.
I'd like something a little more manual rather than being forced to use aperture priority though.
>>
>>2797165
I think you should expect that most of them have that problem. Mine had, and I fixed it myself using these instructions:

http://elekm.net/pages/cameras/repair_pad_of_death.htm

Not difficult, but fiddly. Now it takes lovely pictures.
>>
>>2797170
>>2797184
Emm, okay thanks.
>>
>>2796976
>I just inherited a flawless M3

>implying fucking rangefinders aren't flawed by design
>>
>>2797347
Implying rangefinder design is an inherent flaw because you don't like it.

K.
>>
>>2796976
That's great that you inherited it, by all means use it.
It's a good range finder, it's over priced because it's a luxury item and not much aside from the lens will set it apart from other range finders, by all means take care of that.
Just don't fall into that Leica stereotype of people who only take really bad B&W street photography
>>
>>2797347
and a fuckin slrs have viewfinder blackout

no ones perfect
>>
>>2797511

I can't say I totally disagree, most Leica's are luxury items, but this thing is and was a workhorse in its day. Used by a lot of photojournalists and pros. There's little about the M3 that suggests "luxury". If anything, it's the entry-point Leica rangefinder for poor people like me (I own one I got for $500). Granted, it's more expensive than most vintage rf's these days, but it's also built like a fucking tank and made to last.

Now the later rangefinders and digital leicas? Yea, a lot of bullshit.
>>
>>2797528

>mirrorless master race
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.