[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When people assume you will send them photos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
I was recently at a rodeo snapping some photos chatting it up with another guy who was also there, shooting just for fun or for his photography business or something.

When the event finished and I was heading out, concluding the conversation with the guy, some random woman swooped in and interrupted us and asked me for my card and if I could send her some of the photos. She asked the same of him.

I am not a professional photographer, I gave her one of my personal cards though, and told her to email me.

What is the appropriate response to tell this woman? I take photos for my personal enjoyment and perhaps to share with those I am close with. Or maybe I'll post them online, but I felt very bothered by some random person just assuming I'd want to send them to her.

What does /p/ do in similar situations?
>>
Just send her a fucking photo
>>
>>2779593
But why? What if this lady knits or makes model sailboats in bottles as a hobby,and I just happened to stumble upon her while she is engaging in said hobby. Should that entitle me to the fruits of the hobby,just because?
>>
>>2779588
I would suggest you never leave your basement ever again.

Rodeo? OK, fair enough.

>>2779593
>Just send her a fucking photo
this
>>
>>2779596

>Should that entitle me to the fruits of the hobby,just because?

Says the guy who literally felt entitled to the fruits of someone's hobby.

Or did you think that rodeo just materialized out of thin air?
>>
>>2779602
I paid to attend the rodeo. The rodeo contestants were being paid out as well.
>>
>>2779606
>I paid
kek
>>
>>2779606

Your meager entry fee doesn't give you carte blanche.

How do you know that the contestants were paid? I grew up in 4H country and a lot of of rodeos are a (mostly) volunteer affair. And, again, whether they get paid or not has no effect on your rights to document their passion. You can't just sit behind a painter and shoot his work because he will eventually get paid for it.
>>
I shoot concerts and people ask me at almost every single show. I always give them a card and 90% of the time they won't hit me back. I don't feel bad either because the ball is in their court.

if you don't give the photos to her then you're literally stupid
>>
>>2779588
I don't know maybe say it's just a hobby I don't give people pictures. Fucking austics nowadays.
>>
she's just a free-loader / chancer out to steal your best pics. ignore any contact.
>>
>>2779588

I can resolve this issue. Was she hot?
>>
>>2779640
No. Explains why I got all flustered. If she was I'd have asked for her card as well.
>>
You already mentioned that you don't have any intentions of selling prints, and you were there just for fun, and not being paid.

Why not give her a couple of photos? You're not exactly screwing yourself out of money if you aren't making money in the first place.

If you were there as a paid photographer, or were planning to sell prints to the riders or something, I can understand being a twat about it.
>>
>>2779645
>not hot
send some samples.
ask for money if want more.
>>
If you have a public site where you host your photos, or a social network page just direct her to that.
>>
>>2779588
OP you're a huge fucking faggit for making this into such a big deal.

I sense the choice of not sending a photo to a random stranger is probably one of many poor life decisions you've made.
>>
Three possible responses.

1. "Sorry, I'm afraid I don't send individual photos, I do sell these as prints however if you'd like to buy one."

2. "Sure, just contact me."

3. "No."

Why did you give her your card anyway?
>>
OP, pay attention to:
>>2779674
and
>>2779687

I personally direct such random enquiries to my web site. They can browse the event shots there, order prints directly, or buy digital downloads.
>>
>>2779687
>Why did you give her your card anyway?

She actually asked for the other shooter's card first. I am interested in actually following up with him and doing some shooting together, so I didn't want to seem like an asshole.

I suppose I will send her some okay shots, and just use >>2779687 advice in the future.
>>
File: gibs me dem photos.png (4 MB, 1245x3234) Image search: [Google]
gibs me dem photos.png
4 MB, 1245x3234
>>2779588
>I gave her one of my personal cards though, and told her to email me.

that was your first mistake. never do that. and while you're at it don't even think about reading/replying to her email
>>
File: A0000073-y600px.jpg (131 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
A0000073-y600px.jpg
131 KB, 900x600
>>2779680
This.
If you expect an environment where it's ok to photograph people then you have to expect them to want to see the photos.
Seriously, isn't that obvious?

Sometimes i get asked to email people photos, but anyone who isn't internet retarded asks "where can i see the photos?" ..which is a far more apropos question. Just disregard the former question and mentally replace it with the latter, hand them your card and a smile.

Chatting to people is great, but most people just want a URI. They probably don't want to give you their email address or have anything more to do with you than downloading the images and maybe bookmarking your site.
In most cases neither should you.

Simply have a site and a simple card that points to it.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePENTAX
Camera ModelPENTAX K-5
Camera SoftwareRawTherapee
PhotographerAndrew Wade Eglington
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width900
Image Height600
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2012:04:10 14:22:33
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
>>2779712
>If you expect an environment where it's ok to photograph people then you have to expect them to want to see the photos.

I wasn't photographing the not-hot-woman. I was photographing cowboys and barrel racin' cowgirls. If any of those being photographed asked I would have gladly provided photos.
>>
>>2779588
If you don't like sending photos you should just be up front about it.
OR just use film, once poeple see antiquated technology they think its insanely hard to get a digital caopy and dont wanna impose
>>
>>2779857
>once poeple see antiquated technology they think
You have unrealistically high hopes for people. In my experience such obnoxious people don't tend to think, they only have demands and they expect you to meet them, no matter how bullshit it is.
>>
File: B0101158-y600px.jpg (64 KB, 399x600) Image search: [Google]
B0101158-y600px.jpg
64 KB, 399x600
>>2779742
In this case I'm going to say with some degree of certainty that you are just being a bit too spergy.
Theres a good chance she is expecting to see herself or her friends in them. Maybe she thinks you are a second shooter for the lolPro guy. Whatever, it's irrelevant.
If are into photography you have to expect people to be interested in the photos. Even more now than ever before.
In fact; you have some responsibility to be transparent in that respect by making them available. If you fail to make that part as effortless as possible for yourself then thats your problem.

People who take photos for their own 'personal use', upload them into private albums - if at all, and are inexplicably even weirder when anyone is interested in them make me feel like slapping heads. I know a few people who do this, film and digitalfags, and it's ridiculous.

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera Softwaredarktable 1.4
PhotographerAndrew Wade Eglington oh-hi.info
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)157 mm
Image Created2015:08:02 00:01:59
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
ISO Speed Rating1250
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length105.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width399
Image Height600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastHard
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeClose View
>>
File: B0122614-y720px.jpg (77 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
B0122614-y720px.jpg
77 KB, 480x720
>>2779742
>I wasn't photographing the not-hot-woman.
>the not-hot-woman.
mmmmhmmm
And of course: if you are shooting cute girls then people will assume you are a perv. So sometimes people who ask about the photos are going to give you a strange and disconcertingly demanding vibe simply because you can sense that they are being deceptive and do not have your goodwill at heart.
... Which is of course why you need to be transparent about what you shoot, and make giving them your photos URI as trivial and impersonal as possible.

Or just be a girl. They don't get subjected to the same stereotyping or assumptions of evil perversions as male photographers do.

Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)157 mm
Image Created2016:01:30 16:59:08
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length105.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width480
Image Height720
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastHard
SaturationLow
SharpnessHard
>>
>>2779712
>>2779882
What the fuck is a uri
>>
>>2779887
It's like URL but with a lower case l
>>
>>2779606
Send her your best photos with your watermark on them, you massive fag.

She'll get the hint and if she thinks they're good enough, negotiate then.
>>
File: B0128661-y720px.jpg (78 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
B0128661-y720px.jpg
78 KB, 480x720
>>2779887
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier

Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)165 mm
Image Created2016:01:10 18:12:52
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
ISO Speed Rating500
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length110.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width480
Image Height720
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastHard
SaturationLow
SharpnessHard
>>
>>2779870
>Theres a good chance she is expecting to see herself or her friends in them.
Have you shot rodeo, Eggy? Or motorsport? Or horseracing? Or the football? Or surfing?
Maybe you get the idea now...OP's subject wasn't the audience. Not everyone shoots the same repetitive plodders you do.
The woman was probably a horse or rodeo nut, not someone expecting to see herself from a distance in a shot.
>>
>>2779970
She probably wants a nicer photo than her own iPad/iPhone shots.
Just send her some nice ones with your watermark, maybe you can have a few extra bucks out of it. Only for the sake of the rodeo.
>>
>>2779970
Maybe she knows the riders etc?
Who knows, as you said, people just like shit, and photos of shit they were at.. Do I really need to outline every conceivable reason someone might have?
It doesn't even matter. She simply implied she'd like some photos. People do that. ikr.. Who knew?!
Yes, I have shot some of the things you mentioned. Makes no difference.
>>
>>2779989
I agree. I do photos of most weekends at the local RC model airfield and though the shots are mostly the same every week, the guys can't have enough of them. Maybe party to show the missus they spent the time with the geeky flying contraptions instead eyeing up other women.
>>
>FM2 with 35/2 ais and motor drive
This nigga knew what's up
>>
>>2779588
>What is the appropriate response to tell this woman?

No.

Or maybe act like a human being and have a conversation with the lady and understand why she's interested in your shitty snapshits.
>>
>>2779588

The appropriate response would have been

>I am not a professional photographer... I take photos for my personal enjoyment and perhaps to share with those I am close with. Or maybe I'll post them online.

By giving her your card and telling her to email you, you've essentially told her the opposite of that.

tl;dr - you're an idiot and want us to fix something you already screwed up
>>
File: IMG_5487 (Custom).jpg (138 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5487 (Custom).jpg
138 KB, 1000x667
>>2779588
She didn't assume anything, she just wants you to send her a picture. If you're that assfried for some reason, just say 'no.'

"Of course! Here's my card" / "Of course! What's your email?"

or

"I'd rather not."

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS-1D Mark II N
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.3 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:04:27 23:15:28
Exposure Time1/640 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
ISO Speed Rating1250
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias-1.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length70.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
should've shot it on your smartphone and then you could just friend her on hugbook and give her the photos immediately

---
guaranteed replies
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.