[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guest wedding photos.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 600x399
I'm going to be going to a family wedding soon and don't know if I should bring my camera or not. I know there will be a paid pro there. I don't plan on moving and shit to get the shot. Just casual photos of family and what not. What would be proper in this situation?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D700
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
PhotographerVIKTAR BAIKOUSKI
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)210 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2011:12:19 13:43:34
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/4.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating5000
Lens Aperturef/4.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length210.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width600
Image Height399
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2776842
I'd say contact the relatives organising it and ask if it's alright to grab a few shots and offer to email them a few choice ones or upload them to facebook, just say you're doing it for practice.
They'll inevitably just be like "shit yeah, free photos" anyway. Doubt it'll be an issue.
>>
>>2776842
>What would be proper in this situation?
Rent a 1D/D4, 200-400/4, spray and pray.
>>
>>2776850
Fucking this lol. Then ask the wedding photographer about his gear and make him feel inferior.
>>
>>2776842
A7R II + 70-200 2.8
>>
dont bring your camera. they hired a photographer so that you and others can focus on the wedding itself. he'll get all the shots you'd want of your family. any other reason is just pampering your ego, either in the form of 1. entertaining yourself rather than enjoying the day with your family, friends, the bride and groom, or 2. your need to be regarded among your family as the "professional" photographer/creative spirit.

plus you'll be a major pain in the ass to the guy they hired. just let him take care of it. you can go a day without being the one capturing every moment.
>>
>hurr durr don't bring camera
>every single person are gonna use their phone cameras and ruin every single moment
>>
>>2776962
yes, its fucking obnoxious as all fuck and disrespectful to both the bride and groom, as well as the pro they paid in hopes that you dont sperg out and force your new hobby on everyone around you

another persons wedding isnt the time or place, unless you're paid to do so
>>
>>2776842
Got married last year, the photograph took great shot but it missed the touch of the guy who was enjoying himself and wandering through the crowd.
Also enjoy yourself, put your camera down sometimes.
My brother was too drunk to take shots so he only took the pre-church events.
>>
If you want to bring a camera and grab a few shots, make it a point and shoot or compact mirrorless, and don't spend the whole time shooting.
>>
>>2776995
Something like the A6000 would be good.
>>
>>2777050
Thank you Mr. Sony marketing intern.
>>
>>2776842
Petite guy like a fuji x10 or ricoh or just enjoy yourself and don't shoot
>>
>>2777078
How can you enjoy yourself with such inferior cameras? Just take whatever you have to the wedding op. Take a few snap shots and get some good intimate moments. Remember, the photographer can't be every where at once so he/she will miss some nice moments. For example, the photographer may take pictures of the bride getting ready but the groom may be elsewhere. See what roles you can fit.
>>
>>2776962
>>2776962
Its kind of a shame how many beautful candids are ruined by people having a phone in front of there face. Its always the mother of the bride while all the reception stuff if going on. Right when you want reaction shots.
>>
>>2777050
Op Here
That's exactly what I have, I'll probably bring that with my 16 - 50
>>
>>2776850
>>2776879
lol
>>2776954
really this.
If you do bring photo equipment to wedding focus on fun items. I usually like to bring that spinner360 lomo and an instax in the bag. I took a minolta x700 to a friend's son's birthday once and felt dumb as all hell.

Having said that I am bringing a bunch of photo equipment on a trip to another friends wedding, but I'll only really use to take photos of the landscape.
>>
Op here again.

I found out today that it's not going to be a pro there but 2 family friends shooting the wedding. Would the same thing still apply or what would be different?
>>
>>2776842
from experience if your good they will appreciat it.
ps pro doesn't necessarly mean good.
>>
>>2776842

No. Just go and enjoy the day and enjoy being around family. Family > Photography.

Plus, in my opinion, it's extremely poor form to photograph at any formal occasion as a guest. I hate weddings so I've avoided as many as possible, but of the ones I've had to go to I've been astonished by the rudeness of people with smartphones flashing away. It's astoundingly poor etiquette.

As an aside, I think one of the most important things I learnt back when I was a beginner was when to put the camera down. There's times when it's better to enjoy the moment than to bag crap photographs.
>>
>>2777904
Take a film compact and one roll of film. Choose one picture, make a large print and gift it to the husband and wife.
>>
>>2779062
that's high risk and it won't be as good a quality as a digital camera like the sony A6000.
>>
>>2779063
When will this meme end?
>>
>>2776954
>plus you'll be a major pain in the ass to the guy they hired. just let him take care of it. you can go a day without being the one capturing every moment.

I kind of disagree with this, I think you can catch a few good shots throughout the day, as there are so many pretty things. For the most part just spray and pray, no one will notice/give a fuck. Stay out of the way of the pro, but take note of his positioning/framing etc. Stay away from the traditional posed shots and stick to getting candids throughout the day. You could do this on a phone honestly, but you wont have the same dynamic range in post. If you have it, use a mirrorless or some smaller camera, but if not even a proper dslr shouldn't bee too intrusive. Just don't throw on any white lenses and probably people won't even notice. Generally in these settings I go with asking forgiveness rather than permission. Imagine, the photographer is unwilling to work with someone else taking photos, but if you're just uncle bob and the issue has never been brought up then they won't like not work once they're there. Also even if they complain they won't do it right away, and probably not at the end, so they would have to complain at a logical break, which would give you more than enough time to add several quality shots to your port for future things and a nice keepsake to send to the bride and groom. Also I find it easier to talk to people when I have a reason, like I just took your photo, let me get your email and I will send it to you. Have a look, yeah it is a really great photo of you. hahahaha I'm in room 388 come by later I can show you all the photos I took today in my room. =)
>>
>>2777904
Just do it, don't ask, don't bring it up, you'll create pressure on yourself to provide photos if you bring it up and that kills the fun. I find I get more photos when I just go to a wedding and have fun with my camera in hand than when I tell the family I'm going to cruise the venue with a camera.
>>
There's definitely a strong case for leaving the camera at home and just enjoying the day, as may posters have suggested, and all being equal this is probably the best plan.

HOWEVER

If you feel you absolutely must amateur-shoot a friends / relatives wedding I would suggest three things:

1) Don't gearfag. One camera, one lens. (My preference is my D3200 and 35mm F1.8 - ymmv)

2) Be discreet. Don't try to pose people other than your own family / immediate friends. Shoot candids. No flash if you can help it.

3) Do not obstruct or distract the professional photographer(s). Do not piggyback shots by standing beside them. Do not speak to them unless spoken to. Just generally stay the fuck out of their way.

3.5) No really. Stay the fuck out of the way of the professional photographer. Seriously.

Other than that, have fun!
>>
>>2779108
I think the meme is great

Just like the a6000
>>
Bring your full kit, but leave it in the trunk. Just in case their paid photographer shits the bed, you can cover it.

Bring a compact in if you want, but unless you end up covering for a no show photographer, keep it in your pants during the ceremony.

During the reception and all the dancing and celebratory shenanigans, whip it out and stuff it in the bride's face.
>>
>>2776842
Seriously don't.
>>
>>2777904
There is a good reason they picked those two friends over you.
>>
>>2777904
fucking rekt them
>>
>>2779108
it depends, how many a6000 do you have?
>>
>>2777904
>(you) got btfo
>>
>>2776842
mfw my housemate's fat sister is too poor to get a real wedding photographer
yfw i offered to do it for free
tfw i will be shotting medium format film
>>
>>2779108
this thread is cancer, it's just a good thing that all of these really compact and high iq A6000 users are here to rescue.
I use it with G-Master lenses for the better than canikon quality and feel.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.