[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i dont mean to be a gearfaggot or anything but why would you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: image.png (5 MB, 2208x1242) Image search: [Google]
image.png
5 MB, 2208x1242
i dont mean to be a gearfaggot or anything but why would you buy a memecoh GR when you can buy this little chumble crumble? it's literally better in every way for a little over a hundo more
>>
yeah that looks pretty dang neato

was thinking about getting a gr but I'll put this on the compare list
>>
yeah that looks really nice

it's because no one knows what a lumix is and you can't go 4 threads without someone shilling ricoh
>>
>>2774140
probably due to the gr having great usability, small size, larger sensor
(compared to the memecro 4/3 sensor), and great files

lumix looks great though, but just because something is better on paper doesnt mean its better irl, like how the canon c series were shit on paper but people love them now
>>
File: P1070855 (Custom).jpg (125 KB, 1000x669) Image search: [Google]
P1070855 (Custom).jpg
125 KB, 1000x669
>>2774140
It's nice. Ridiculously fast AF in good light, even in servo AF. When it gets darker, not so good. Lots of bugs and quirks, and still no firmware updates.

If you can pick one up for under $400 go ahead. I'd wait for a revised model.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-LX100
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:12:11 12:54:38
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFlash
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length12.50 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2774140
I don't see that lens fitting in my pocket.
>>
>>2774173
are your pockets so interesting you need to keep a photographic record of their contents
>>
>not wearing a fanny pack
>>
>>2774179

They need to be constantly monitored.
>>
>>2774140
>crop m43
who thought that was a good idea?
>>
You can actually pocket the GR.
>>
>BUYING M43

The format is DEAD.

Stop recommending garbage. That camera is shit compared to every APS-C camera and no more pocket able than a A6000 which is far superior to it. Just get a GR or a X70.
>>
File: 1296754854779.jpg (16 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1296754854779.jpg
16 KB, 200x200
>M43

>>
>>2774344
I had the same reaction. Why do people take M43 seriously? It's so shit.
>>
>>2774346
>>2774344
typical sonyfag shitposting
>>
>>2774346
>>2774344

>he fell for the sensor size jew

The LX100 has great glass and great ergonomics and controls, components absolutely necessary when taking photographs and not shitposting in your basement with you A6000 on your desk.

I don't get why every time a camera gets talked about here the knee jerk reaction is to talk about the size of the sensor, as if we are sharing our sensors with others, not our photos.

Yes there are higher MP cameras. Yes other camera's edge it out in very low light situations. But this camera takes great shots, has great IQ, and ALL of the LX camera's have been absolute joys to use. These things lose the spec sheet wars, but when you pick them up and use them you realize they are excellent.
>>
>>2774414
Because /p/ are a bunch of gear autists who don't actually take pictures of anything worth photographing, so they spend all of their time pixel peeping boring shots of bland subjects.

They don't care about UI or controls or ergonomics because those things mostly matter when trying to use a camera quickly, and they're not under any kind of time crunch when doing generic landscape photography.
>>
>>2774414
this kinda

the "micro 4/3 format is dead" thing is kinda out of context, the sensor size is obsolete but alot of micro 4/3 cameras are amazing and are really held back by their sensor size, so its basically a bunch of amazing cameras on an obsolete sensor siizee
>>
>>2774732
>le street photog
>>
File: P1100160 (Custom).jpg (218 KB, 1000x669) Image search: [Google]
P1100160 (Custom).jpg
218 KB, 1000x669
>>2774865
>le street photog
The skills learned in the genre translates nicely into other kinds of photography, like photojournalism and sports. Even if shooting things that move isn't your thing, do you hate nice controls?

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-LX100
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image Created2016:01:25 13:32:01
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFlash
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length12.50 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2774414
>>2774732
>>2774858

Sure, the small sensor on this camera might not be holding it back too much right now, but it will in the future. Future FF and APS sensors will only reduce the relevance of M43 even more.

This isn't so important today, but if you are intending to stick with photography it could be an issue. I jumped on board with Nikon and their 50 1.8D lasted me 3 cameras across multiple product generations.

The fact that I hear the glass and ergonomics on many M43 cameras is great only adds insult to injury. In 5 years when the whole M43 system goes belly up you will have all this great glass and only aging dying equipment.

Don't believe me? While the facts aren't identical the Nikon Pronea was an APS film camera released in the 90s. Anyone who jumped ship to that system would be kicking themselves now!

Ergonomics are important, but you should always be thinking about the long term relevance of your gear. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but if I jumped on every new bandwagon I'd be out of house and home.

The same shit has happened with the Nikon 1 and Canon EOS-M series of cameras. No viewfinder, shitty handling and a 2x crop. These cameras are dead from the get-go as far as I am concerned. Sure they might work well, but the only thing a smaller sensor can offer is price and size reduction. These points are irrelevant though; prices will always plummet and cameras are as small as they need to be. Some might disagree with me on the latter point, but I have no issues with the size of a D800 and find its heft adds to its stability when anchored to my face.

I'm not bashing mirrorless mind you and think that it could be a way of the future once the tech matures. I would love for Nikon to release a proper mirrorless camera instead of this shit that they have out.
>>
>>2775008
This, Sony will soon take over and kill of m43 if it hasn't already. Nikon and canon have a lot to improve but they aren't a lost cause like M43.

M43 is on suicide watch.
>>
Why are we still arguing about a dead camera system? Just let it go and buy something good instead.
>>
Oh god what a joke.
>>
>>2775008
But you aren't investing in a whole system with the lx100. It's fixed lens. It takes good pictures now and it will for years, regardless of sensor size.

I understand frustration about buying into an interchangeable lens system and having the format lose support from manufacturers, but that's not really an issue here. All the gear autists here do not realize that a half decent photographer will always take better pictures on an lx100 than they ever will on an A7r, because the Lx100 still has everything you would want to take good photos regardless of format size. Except it needs someone who actually takes photos to press the shutter button.

This is one of the best compact cameras available now for actual photography.
>>
>>2774865
Not a chance. I'm a working photog, used to be a photojournalist and then switched to shooting very similar photos, but on contract for businesses instead of for publications.

I like my Panasonics for a couple of reasons. One is that the system makes the camera and lens so small that it can slip into a bag meant for a single DSLR system and act as a decent backup camera. The other is that it makes for a very usable "off-duty" camera, it's great for travelling with other people because the good ergonomics and fast controls mean not constantly having to make my companions wait while I stop to take snapshits of stuff.
>>
>>2774140
But I have an X70
>>
>>2775137
Perfection. Truly world class. Almost class leading. Almost as good as the A6000.
>>
>>2775150
I sold my a6000 to buy the x70. It's an infinitely better camera. Sony is shit, I found out the hard way.
>>
File: 23-thomas-pynchon.jpg (1 MB, 2200x3037) Image search: [Google]
23-thomas-pynchon.jpg
1 MB, 2200x3037
Sony Spillover Shills from /v/ are out in full force ITT.
>>
>>2775008
this makes sense, but theyre still making rangefinders so im just gonna assume that micro 4/3 is gonna be around for a long time
>>
File: IMG_20150625_210423350_HDRd.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150625_210423350_HDRd.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
I love my LX100 for :
- Really good controls, easy to reach, quick to use
- Good lens, good in low light
- Good at high ISO
- Good looking camera
- Really nice to use in A or M mode, and if I don't have time to set it right, the auto button is easy to reach, let you take a good snap and you press it again and roll back to full control

What I don't like :
- 75mm is a bit short, even for indoor shot, you have to move really close to the subject. And for outdoor, nature and landscape, it's really short
- It's a bit fragile : I broke the back wheel, I had some dust inside the lens, and the warranty covered it but they striped the body while doing it and loosen the thumb grip
- having to attach the flash can be an issue
- the zoom is slow, a mechanical one would be better.

But still it's a great camera if you're a little into photography and don't what an huge rig with tones of lenses.

Equipment MakeMotorola
Camera ModelXT1068
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:06:25 21:04:25
Exposure Time3/50 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/2.0
BrightnessUnknown
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length3.54 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height1836
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto Bracket
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessSoft
Geodetic Survey DataWGS-84
>>
>>2775446
Why?

What made the a6000 bad and what makes the x70 "infinitely better"
>>
>>2775787
>say something, anything, so I can disagree with it no matter what you say

Not sure why i'm bothering to say, but there was a smudge that appeared in my photos with the a6000 that could not be remedied by Sony or private repair shops.

Additionally the photos that did turn out just looked flat and had boring colors compared to the X70. Also, the Sony had shit low light performance. Also the X70 has a faster shutter.

Basically when conditions were less than ideal in either direction, the Sony suffered while the X70 shines. Even regular everyday photos look better.
>>
>>2775896
The sony is shit meme, i hate that meme. Sony makes all the sensors you dunce. All the very best tech goes to sony.
>>
>>2775900
Wow. What a great, well thought out response. No wonder this board hates Sonyfags.
>>
>X70
>no visor
>fixed lens

It's not in the same category as an LX100.
>>
>>2775896
I quite like the x70, but it's a very different camera to the a6000. If you want more colour on the a6000 just turn it up. I'm not sure what you mean by better low light because the a6k has an extra 2 stops ISO.
Am I right in thinking the Fuji shutter tops out at 1/1000 but there's an electronic shutter that goes up to 1/32000?
>>
>>2774180
hi mr rockwell
>>
>>2775955
The x70 shutter goes to 1/4000, and its electronic shutter goes to 1/32000.

If you honestly think you can just "turn up the color" on a Sony to get an image that looks like one from a Fuji camera, you clearly have very little experience using cameras.
>>
>>2775955
>turn up the color

Sure, let's turn up the megapixels too, shit, why not just make planes out of black boxes
>>
>>2775896
Why do you I assume I'm looking to argue with you?

Maybe I'm just looking to buy a new camera and I want to hear your opinion?
>>
>>2776174
I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or not...
>>
>>2776190
Because its the only thing Sonyfags know how to do. Theres some faggot who talks about the a6000 any time anyone mentions photography on this board, so I assumed you were him. If you arent, then my bad.
>>
>>2774381
>le sonyfag bogeyman
>>
>sonyshills still haven't grasped the fact that glass beats bodies every time
>>
Guys, they're literally shills that sony hired for /v/.

All it takes is 5 minutes or less per day to complete inundate this board with shilling. It's the natural result of being several orders of magnitude slower than /v/.
>>
>>2776379
[citation needed]
>>
>>2776379
Why do you even go to that shithole of a containment board.
>>
m4/3 shooter here.

GX8 has nice specs but it is too big and expensive to consider buying. My GX7 is still a better alternative for the moment.
>>
>>2776751
>buying into a dead format.

sigh... /p/ i thought you knew better.
>>
>>2774140
>won't fit in pocket
>>
>>2776194
im being sarcastic, the "making planes out of black boxes" thing should have given it away
>>
>>2776753
I think most of us who shoot M43 bought into it before it was "dead." When I got my GF1, the only non-M43 mirrorless out there was the original NEX-5, and it had no lenses, an unusable interface, and no hotshoe.

I still like M43 for its size, no other mirrorless system can match the combination of thickness and quality that you get out of an M43 body and the Panny 20 1.7, but I wish the sensors were better and pricing is ridiculous. (The fact that the GX8 costs almost twice as much as the LX100, despite them being very similar bodies and the LX100 having a decent lens permanently attached, is ridiculous.)
>>
File: _W070632.jpg (564 KB, 662x1000) Image search: [Google]
_W070632.jpg
564 KB, 662x1000
>>2774307

yah this

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelGR
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image Created2016:02:26 01:34:54
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Brightness2.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.30 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2777226
it pains me to say it but that is a fucking awesome shot even though you shot it with a memecamera.
>>
>>2774307
Stop wearing skinny jeans and womens clothes.
Other compact and even mirrorless w/ pancakes fit into trouser pockets and jacket pockets easily.
If you're disappointed that you can't fit your camera into your jeans pocket, then you have other problems in life you should worry about first desu.
>>
>>2777205
Yeah but, you do realize that you can 'turn up the color' in literally any post processing software, right?
>>
I recently exchanged my X-E1 with two lenses for a Panasonic GX7 with 12-32 and a teleconverter for my X100 plus a little money.

Is the X-E1 a better camera for taking pictures? Probably. I LOVE all the manual controls, the image quality etc.

Is the Panasonic good enough? Absolutely. And with better video than on any Fuji camera up to date.

Do I regret my trade? Not at all. I want to try my hands on video and what the X-E1 or the X100 produces isn't good enough.

All this talk about m43 being dead might be true, as you can have a ff sensor in just as small a package. Or a Fuji APS-C, which I would prefer.

But are they bad cameras, totally without any redeeming qualities? Hell no! And if m43 is dying I can probably look forward to a lot of cheap equipment popping up second hand. I like it.
>>
>>2777475
it's not dying.
just some clickbait story on the internets.
>>
>>2777497
Exactly.
Let's take some pictures.
>>
File: 91MmVssVqhL._SL1500_.jpg (305 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
91MmVssVqhL._SL1500_.jpg
305 KB, 1500x1000
>>2777226
thumbnail reminds me of calvin and hobbes watercolor
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.