[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /p/ I was wondering why you guys do photography. I feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10
File: DSC02960-8.jpg (853 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
DSC02960-8.jpg
853 KB, 1000x666
Hey /p/

I was wondering why you guys do photography. I feel like a lot of people here have different reasons to do so.

My own personal reason is that taking photos in general makes me feel good, it gets my out of my desk chair.
I used to be some random gamer weeb, but photography got me out of that. It makes me get off my lazy ass every once in a while.
Also, whenever I take a photo I really really like, I get a warm feeling on the inside.

This is my reason. Why do you enjoy/do photography?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelSLT-A58
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:02:15 22:41:04
Exposure Time8 sec
F-Numberf/22.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/22.0
Brightness-2.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceShade
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2770714
Same here, OP. Also, as a challenge, I do some fashion shoots from time to time. Planning, set design, lighting, post production and that feel when you just can't fuck up... I like it.
>>
Personally I enjoy it because being out in nature gives a great feeling. Instead of being a couch potato, I'm now out in nature more.
>>
>>2770714
To document the things I do and the places I go.

When I get some beautiful photos alomg the way, all the better
>>
>>2770739
>as a challenge
>that feel when you just can't fuck up... I like it.

This is what it's all about for me, along with the satisfaction you get when a client loves the photos you deliver, and the opportunities to work in a world you'd never otherwise be part of.

"Casual" photography for my own personal use bores the hell out of me.
>>
>>2770714
simmilar story here, was a gamer dweeb, got into photography after moving interstate, got social, then was doing paid shoots, got sick of it, now im a gaming dweeb again, lurking 4chan, and thining about doing it all again
>>
>>2770845
how do you deal with constant client rejecting you for whatever reason they might have
>>
>>2770714
I'm a writer fag and I took up photography about a year and a half ago in hopes of better understanding visual space.

Now, I just really enjoy it. It's sort of the exact opposite of writing and I like having that break.
>>
I just enjoy taking photos and getting outside. I was very depressed before I took my interest in photography to the next level. It was nice to have a hobby that consumed me completely and made me feel like I didn't need anyone else as long as I had a camera with me. I love the challenge of getting better and the feeling of getting a prime shot.

In addition to all that, I feel like photography is one way to leave my mark on the world and be unforgettable.
>>
File: Chicken-Head-Appears.jpg (623 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
Chicken-Head-Appears.jpg
623 KB, 1000x667
>>2770714

I like it as a way of preserving memories. I came from an incredibly poor background. My family has no photos from my childhood or anything like that.

I get up to lots of things now a days and I want to be able to recount and document what has happened in my life. Photography is a good way to do that.
>>
Some of your stories are really nice. As I thought already. Thanks for the replies guys!
>>
Same as OP. I used to be a basement dweller. I now travel about 1000km per week (on average) taking photos. I genuinely experience #euphoria when I find find a good scene. I'm honestly in love with photography.
>>
Got my first full time job ever and went into depression from doing nothing but work, bought a camera and now spend the majority of the daylight hours outside of work walking around my city taking photos instead of moping around in my flat wanting to die :)
>>
Money.
I used to like taking pictures. Now I do that only for money.
Can't remember last time I took pictures "for fun".
And now when cameras have awesome filming options (sony 7rII) I can earn more money making videos.
>>
>>2771088
When I hear that people make money from photography I generally think they have some kind of portrait studio or something like that, what do you do to earn money from it?
>>
>>2771158
Not him, but I sometimes shoot corporate events on the weekends for some extra scratch. I usually double my weekly income that way.

I would rather be doing fashion style portraits, but there's not really any money in that in my area.
>>
>>2770714
mostly because I alwasy wanted to do something related to arts. I can't play any instruments or draw very well, but one day a friend of mine gave me his old Canon 300D and I started doing some minor shots. Now I mainly do it to get rid of the daily stress, to be on my own for once in a while and just enjoy seeing nice scenes
>>
I travel and camp alot on the weekends i wanted a way to capture the good parts of the vacations. wish i had bought a nice camera years ago.
>>
Photography is an excellent way to exercise my little-to-no social skills.

Otherwise, I'm stuck inside working, writing, playing music, or playing video games.
>>
>>2770910
I don't, thankfully. I have a full-time job that involves photography, and on the side I have a network of contacts at companies and publications who contact me when they need something shot, or if I've got a bunch of downtime I'll shoot some emails and calls out and see if anybody needs anything.

I do automotive/motorsport photography, andhave kind of a range of types of client I work with. Some are big and pay big money but the gigs are kind of lame ("Hey, we're an E-cig company and sponsor a stock car, we're inviting our top sales reps to a race and want you to take pics of them with the car and driver"), and then others are small and don't pay much, but I get to do really cool shit ("hey, our blog can't afford to fly a staff guy to Pebble Beach/SEMA/F1 this year, but you're driving distance, we'll pay your expenses and get you a pass.")
>>
File: IMGP5221-2.jpg (929 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
IMGP5221-2.jpg
929 KB, 1000x665
Good to get out of the apt. and forget about uni and all the grinding work of design and job applications and shit. i average like 8-10 miles a week hiking now and found a surprising number of places to shoot less than half an hour from campus where i can find lots of cool shit. i shoot mostly wildlife, but i like this one a lot

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.3 (Windows)
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Horizontal Resolution99999999 dpi
Vertical Resolution99999999 dpi
Image Created2016:02:07 11:51:07
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length18.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeClose View
>>
I'm socially inept and I will never have children. My biological imperative to have children have been replaced with the need to take photographs to pass on to the next generation. My photographs are literally my children.
>>
>>2771712
>literally
>>
>>2771715
children in a metaphorical sense
>>
>>2771715
>not developing your film with your own semen
Do you even art?
>>
>>2771718
so not the literal sense..
>>
>>2770714
>I was wondering why you guys do photography.
personal reasons, like to capture something that looks good to me at the moment and i want to share it. if it doesnt, so what. if i get famous, awesome. i dont think i will, but i really just want to spread an idea of my view to people close to me
>>
File: 1k-January 23_ 2016-2.jpg (528 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1k-January 23_ 2016-2.jpg
528 KB, 1000x1000
I used to be a digital artist who was employed in retail and made my way up to operations manager. I'd been into Photography since college and really enjoyed it but never took it too seriously.
My mother got sick and I quit my job to be her carer for two years while I still worked as an artist. I sold my camera as money was tight and from 2011 - 2015 I was camera-less.

Over that time I was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and I was finding it harder and harder to hold a pen. I used to be exhausted from just working on lineart for 5 minutes and eventually I quit that job and went to work in a factory. My mother passed and I thought less and less about photography.

I got a cushy government job, moved back to a job I enjoyed and my condition got worse. Suddenly I couldn't even hold a pen for a minute or more without intense pain.
I had to quit my job and now live in chronic pain 24/7. About a year ago I saw an ad for a canon cashback offer and picked up a DSLR again. I enjoyed shooting as it got me out and about again. I barely play games anymore because of the pain involved.

A year later, I've switched camera systems and I'm not back in work yet but I go out to take photos whenever I can. I want to improve and get better while I still have time to.
I don't care about getting paid, but rather about getting out and about. Trying new things and enjoying what I have of life before I'm relegated to a wheelchair.I don't care if I take snapshits as long as I have fun. That may make me a bad photographer but at least I'm doing something.

Photography for me is something to do. I'm no HCB and I'm not changing the world but I'm just going to get out there and enjoy what I can do.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-T10
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Image Created2016:01:26 03:57:23
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1250
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Brightness3.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length23.00 mm
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: Untitled.png (8 KB, 468x193) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
8 KB, 468x193
>>2771723
>>
>>2771728
no that's logically invalid. you cant define something, then define it to also mean not what it means. it's a logical contradiction. it's an invalid definition that only pleb retards use because theyre dumb as shit
>>
>>2771738
Welcome to 2016. This is the world we chose.
>>
>>2771158
Occasionally some reportage things (last one was exhibition opening. Government spends shitload of money on terrible exhibition and I had to take pictures of that).

Lot of aerial photos. All that drone hype makes people go crazy and they want pictures from skies. Mainly tourism information pictures and what not. Season is over with minor crash

I hate taking pictures of people. So not even close to portrait studio but I enjoy on occasion some product photography. (Currently have to take pictures of hand made caps). Really liked to take pictures of e-cigarettes with small shiny parts ar round shape.

Food for restaurant menu.

I like that I don't do that every day so it doesn't get boring. Have to work as 3d "artist" and video guy too.
>>
>>2771158
Until recently, I was the media/marketing guy for a small shop that modified cars for trackdays, autocross, and racing, and also had its own parts line and race team. A major part of my job was photography, everything from photographing new products for our online store, to taking pics of cool customer projects we were working on, to photographing our race car in action.

Our niche of the industry is very photo centric, and nice images are really important, both because car guys flock to cool pics of cars and because they showed off the quality of work and the kind of clients that came to our business. Notably, we got a ton of business through Instagram, and were quite active on brand forums and stuff like that.
>>
>>2770714
I always liket photos, (who doesnt right?) and a friend had an extra new d3200 that sold to me cheap, and in payments, so far I have payed $150.

So I started taking pictures and asking my friend for tips, and for critique, I am not good but I like to do it.

I offered my self to take photos of a small theater company made out of volunteers in a small town and got rejected, I dont have many opportunities to shot stuff
>>
>>2770714
The biggest reason for me was that I realized I hadn't had a physical photograph of loved ones in a very long time. So I made a personal project to take photos of everyone I love and care about to make a giant photo album of all the ones who've made an impact.

From there, I wanted to learn more about the actual craft, and it was also a great way to socialize and meet new people. I get sick of being stuck at work or at uni doing the same damn routine day after day, so photography helps me seek out different perspectives and strange little things outside of the beaten path.

Plus I get to take pictures of hot chicks in their underwear every once in a while.
>>
I just do it for memories, so I look back on my youth when I'm old and see the good times I had. I don't normally take "artsy" photos but I love taking snapshots of chilling with my friends and urban exploring and cool places I've visited.
>>
>>2771738
Are you using the word logically in the literal sense or the literal sense?
>>
File: kicking horse bridge.jpg (401 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
kicking horse bridge.jpg
401 KB, 1000x666
>>2770714
Like everyone else has said - it gets me outside and its a creative outlet. I've only just started but it's a challenge I'm enjoying.
That and it's completely different to/an escape from my day job.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7200
Camera SoftwareWindows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.9
Color Filter Array Pattern22348
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)97 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:02:16 09:03:36
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/32.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating160
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFine Weather
Focal Length65.00 mm
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
I have MDD and I use it as occupational therapy.
>>
I like having pretty wall paper.
>>
File: IMGP7636.jpg (287 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
IMGP7636.jpg
287 KB, 1000x665
>>2771709
Only had two classes today so I went hiking in the woods like half an hour from campus. This is why I got into photography. This shot is not cropped btw, fucker flew within maybe 30-40 feet of me

Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)450 mm
Horizontal Resolution600 dpi
Vertical Resolution600 dpi
Image Created2016:02:18 15:53:57
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0.3 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
>>2772405
Pretty uninteresting shot and you cut off the wingtip.
I appreciate that it's almost exactly the same colour as the default 4chan blueboard background, though.
>>
File: IMGP7603.jpg (108 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
IMGP7603.jpg
108 KB, 1000x665
>>2772408
Yeah I should have zoomed out a bit but it happed pretty fast.

Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Image Created2016:02:18 16:05:58
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0.3 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2772412
Yeah, I know.
I guess there's nothing for it but to practice.
>>
File: OS1_4037.jpg (879 KB, 1200x795) Image search: [Google]
OS1_4037.jpg
879 KB, 1200x795
>>2771725
Good to hear more expanded stories. Thanks for that.

Had similar interest. Wanted to just get out and take pictures. Unfortunately can't live with my personal projects. My mind doesn't work that way. So I had to start to get better/invest time in other things.

One of reasons I started to read this board - hear all reasons to start taking pictures again.
Haven't finished this project (pic related).
And film roll has 12 finished shots for too long time. Can't even finish that.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
PhotographerOjars Saulitis
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Color Filter Array Pattern854
Image Created2015:02:23 02:49:07
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length18.00 mm
Image Width1200
Image Height795
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2770714
For all the gear. I love feeling superior by flaunting my expensive gear.
>>
>>2772859
Me too. I feel ashamed but when you drop 1,000+ on a Fujifilm prime lens you want to show it off. I half bought my Fujifilm XT1 to show off to my friends.
>>
>>2772412
this is neat.
>>
>>2772858
He's just mad he cant afford a car
>>
File: IMGP7623.jpg (226 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
IMGP7623.jpg
226 KB, 1000x665
>>2772918
thanks. i have my exposure point set the same as my AF point and sometimes when tracking birds i move just in from of it and it exposes for the sky instead of the bird. can get annoying, but can also yield some cool shots

Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Image Created2016:02:18 18:09:44
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0.3 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
I actually want to paint but photography is quicker.
>>
>>2770714
I go hiking a lot, and it its nice to be able to share a small part of what I feel when I am /out/ with the family and friends who will never do anything that could be remotely considered adventurous. At least that is what it was at first, now I do it for its own sake as well, it is nice to create something beautiful or powerful.
>>
>>2770714
Same as you OP :)
>>
>>2772988
Just genuinely gave me a good laugh. Thanks for that.
>>
I just really like photography. It's also the only visual art form I'm good at.
Last night I was just taking pictures of bokeh balls along a highway. Very enjoyable even though there's not much beyond those bokeh balls.
>>
>>2770714
I think I mainly do it to show my photos to other people hoping they'll give me compliments for what I do and also because I want to look like I have some sort of special skill that other people don't have.
I know it's fucking sad and patethic but if I think about it, this is the most honest answer I can give you. I'm now going to kill myself, thanks OP
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.