[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just ordered this bad boy. Did I fuck up? I thought it was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9
File: Mamiya rs67.jpg (447 KB, 1440x1896) Image search: [Google]
Mamiya rs67.jpg
447 KB, 1440x1896
Just ordered this bad boy.

Did I fuck up? I thought it was a pretty good deal for what it comes with.
For $200 + free shipping I got the Metered prism finder, 120 back, 90mm lens, fancy little camera strap and of course the body that's all in decent shape.

Will I regret this decision on purchasing my first medium format camera? Or will I enjoy it for years to come?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2016:02:14 21:13:39
Image Height1896
Image Width1440
>>
>>2768987
yeah its a good deal, they're heavy as fuck and youll probably use it less than you hope but thats pretty common in MF
>>
If you already have a good tripod you're set, just get some cheap cable releases and you've got a great studio setup.
It will probably be much bigger and heavier than you thought it would be especially with the prism finder. I got a tlr after using the rb67 a lot, I only use the rb67 in the studio now.
>>
>>2769001
Yeah I heard they weigh in at around 7 pounds.. That's fucking heavy. But I already have a decent tripod and plan on using it for landscape / architectural along with some studio use now that I have access to one. The only thing I'll really have to learn is the flash. Is it possible to sync this camera up to any studio flash?
>>
File: Mamiya rz67 2.jpg (429 KB, 1427x1903) Image search: [Google]
Mamiya rz67 2.jpg
429 KB, 1427x1903
>>2768998
Do you have experience with one yourself?
Also, I'm curious if the price will depreciate or not. It would be great to be able to sell it down the road and make a few bucks off it or at least break even.

Image Created2016:02:14 21:38:56
Image Height1903
Image Width1427
>>
>>2768998
>Heavy
>Not paying double for a 12-pound Godzilla of a camera like the Fuji GX680 or a 6x9 Optika Rittreck
>>
It's a bit of a learning curve with this camera. You're going to forget to do a lot of things that are simple and don't require any though on other cameras. Prepare for a few accidental triple exposures and not knowing why you can't press down the shutter button.
>>
>>2769056
>not knowing why you can't press down the shutter button.

Explain pls?
>>
I got an Optech neoprene strap for my RB67 which made it much better for carrying. Doesn't feel much heavier than my DSLR with a heavy zoom lens, but it's still not a great walk around camera imo
>>
File: ektarmid111.jpg (403 KB, 1000x811) Image search: [Google]
ektarmid111.jpg
403 KB, 1000x811
>>2768987

It's a great camera system with great lenses. the backs can be fiddly and have light leaks. After you expose a frame (take a shot) cock the mirror/shutter before advancing the film. This will prevent back jams. Also consider a waist level finder, It drops 3-4 lbs off of the camera and makes it easier to carry around.

Image Width8191
Image Height6645
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution3200
Vertical Resolution3200
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
>>
>>2769067
The shutter button locks when you haven't cocked the camera, if the camera back is slightly rotated, if the dark plate hasn't been pulled out, and probably a number of other reasons too.
>>
>>2769075
Ah that makes sense. It's always the little things
>>2769073
Thanks for the tips, hopefully I'll be able to avoid light leakage.
>>
>>2769056
>Prepare for a few accidental triple exposures

The newer backs have a multi exposure prevention mechanism, you have to explicitly set a switch to its red position to do a second (or subsequent) exposure on the same frame.
>>
>>2769073
I don't understand why anyone goes medium format and then sticks to traditional, boring viewfinders. Using a waist lever finder is such a magical component of shooting medium format.
>>
>>2769298
As much as I love waist level finders I end up using my prism finder nevertheless most of the time because I just can't see a thing in sunlight otherwise
>>
>>2769328
Wow, really? What camera if you don't mind me asking? I've never had that problem with my SQ-A in the 9 years I've owned it.
>>
>>2769331
Hasselblad 500cm
It's not as bad as it may sound, but the prism finder makes things a lot easier. I shoot a lot of travel/work stuff in Africa over the summers and getting the right DoF without the prism takes too long.

I guess you are happy with your SQ-A, if you owned it that long? I was thinking about getting either that, or a Mamiya 645 as a MF backup
>>
I was also thinking of picking up one of those badboys soon, but I think my tripod would die under its weight. Any recommendations for a good sturdy tripod, mostly for outdoors? Not too expensive (>300$) if possible
>>
>>2768987

I have one of these and enjoy it.

As mentioned it does weigh a fuckton. I use mine without the prism finder most of the time because that adds like 3lbs to the camera.

If I had to give any tips, it would be to use a cable release and tripod when you need ultra sharp photos, the mirror flip kicks back like a handgun. Also, some of the backs have a little tap you have to flick before you can advance the film.

have fun!
>>
>>2769298
Have you used a MF camera with a good prism finder? I have a 45 degree one for my Hassy and it's glorious, going from FF DSLR to it is like going from an entry-level crop body to a pro FF body, if that makes sense.
>>
>>2768987
I would have in a heartbeat for 200, had a 645 and have been looking, albeit not hard, for a new (to me) medium format.
Enjoy OP
>>
>>2769298
>I don't understand why people use medium format for the waist level finder. If you want the experience of a ground glass, why would you not just shoot an 8x10 view camera.

Most people pick a camera for the photos it produces, not for the experience of making shit a lot harder for themselves why trying to capture their photo.
>>
>>2769011
I would expect at least break even if it's in reasonable condition and OP doesn't abuse it.
>>
>>2769298
>Using a waist lever finder is such a magical component of shooting medium format.
OK, I laughed, well played
>>
>>2769298
The novelty wore off for me once i actually started using it lol. But if that's what you enjoy, then more power to you!
>>
>>2769565
Thanks man. Since it comes with a Metered prism finder, should I really spend the extra money to buy a waist level finder? I've used them before and it's really counterintuitive to use since left goes right and right goes left etc..
>>
>>2769613
OP here, I will treat it as if it were my child. My old video producer once made fun of me for caring about my gear too much.
In the video field shit gets tossed all over the place and it's so fast paced that there's really no time to be sentimental about your gear.
>>
>>2769347
Great camera! No complaints and never had to fix or replace anything. Why get another system though? I would think just getting another 500cm body makes the most sense.

>>2769597
My camera originally came with a 45 degree prism. Once I got my wlf I never put it on again.

>>2769604
I did too and found I enjoyed using a wlf better. Just personal opinion. Obvious reasons for not shooting LF...

I don't really know in what way using a wlf is harder. If anything it is easier because I don't need to crouch to take photos, the camera is already at a pleasing height most of the time.

>>2769620
Not sure what's funny about my comment. For someone who had never used a waist level finder the experience could be pretty awesome. Give it a few outings to get used to it and it becomes second nature. Again, just my opinion...
>>
>>2770032
You get used to it pretty quickly. If it always remained counterintuitive people wouldn't use them period. Normal prisms to me became counter intuitive when I was shooting 6x6 almost 100% of the time. Now I can switch between both with no hesitation when I go from 6x6 to digi or the other way around.
>>
>>2768987
You will love it, you arms will hate it, its a VERY solid camera in many ways
>>
>>2770204
>My camera originally came with a 45 degree prism. Once I got my wlf I never put it on again.

Interesting, what camera? I have a WLF for my hassy as well, but the 45 is so much more usable in sunlight, and a couple of decades of shooting with 35 and DSLRs have made it feel natural to lift a camera to my eye. I also find it kind of hard to focus without using the magnifier on the WLF, which basically turns it into a 90* finder that I have to put my eye up to.

I kinda get not liking them on the Mamiyas because they weigh a fuckton on an already heavy camera, but the Hassy one is super light.
>>
>>2770260
I had a WLF for my Bronica. Once I got my 45 degree, I never put the WLF back on again.
>>
>>2770260
Bronica SQ-A. The circle in my split focus screen is pretty big so that helps with focusing. I do use the magnifier frequently still. I think because I shot almost exclusively with this camera for years I just became accustomed to using a wlf. It also suits my shooting style which is slow and deliberate with lots of moving around to find the right composition.

>>2770261
Damn! We should have just traded. Have you sold the wlf? Years ago when I was looking for one they were commanding $120+ Not sure if they are still going for that much though.
>>
>>2770282
Ah, the split image screen would help a lot. My Hassy has an Accu Matte, so it's nice, bright and clear, but no microprism so focusing has to be done by eye.
>>
File: olympia.jpg (53 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
olympia.jpg
53 KB, 640x426
>>2769298
Technically you can find 35mm cameras with a waist level finder too :^)

PhotographerAlthouse, Matthew
>>
File: iPMyvkG.jpg (84 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
iPMyvkG.jpg
84 KB, 1200x800
>>2770466
There are much nicer 35mm waist level finders
>>
>>2770282
I do still have it, and it's currently for sale. They are not inexpensive, that's for sure. There's one on KEH for $160.
>>
>>2770486
I contemplated purchasing that viewfinder for my dad's old Nikon F3 that he handed down to me.
>>
>>2768987
never seen or used a medium format

but i found a neat video on this camera to learn about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZsjjc69-b8

the pro version has a secondary focus knob (the only real difference aparently) see if you can mod that on yours for super fine focusing
>>
File: Screenshot_20160216-103351.png (647 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160216-103351.png
647 KB, 1440x2560
>>2770209
This seems like a pretty good deal for a WLF.
Anyone know if there any other focusing screens that are worth buying?
>>
>>2770534
In the description it said pro s model but it doesn't have the badge on the front or sides. Only on the back.
>>
>>2770538
That probably means the body is the original model, whilst the back is from a Pro S.
>>
>>2770534
>the pro version has a secondary focus knob (the only real difference aparently)

Pro S added double exposure prevention & portrait/landscape indicators. Pro SD added support for the newer KL lenses. No difference to do with focussing afaik.
>>
>>2770534
I think they're similar, but the RZ67 is the version with electronic controls. OP has an RB67 which is fully mechanical.
>>
>>2770679
ohhhhhhh sorry

never heard of this cam before and was just googling
>>
File: mamirb.png (127 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
mamirb.png
127 KB, 1280x1024
>>2770537

There are a ton of accessories, but I only use the WLF and the prism when on tripod.
>>
>>2770537
$25 for item, $20 for shipping. I hate people.
The irony here is that I would spend $60 in gas and the time to drive to pick something up.
>>
>>2768987
prism viewfinders are so beautiful don't worry
and if you like the camera dont worry about the money you paid for it yr good m8
>>
>>2768987
make sure you have a good tripod
>>
>>2770756
Considering its from Japan the 20$ shipping doesn't bother me too much.
>>
>>2770719
Thanks a lot based anon for that ultra helpful chart.
>>
Here's a pretty good video about that camera.
>>
>>2772734
Forgot link

https://youtu.be/zHJSMSVVvYQ
>>
I really liked mine.

I like my Hasselblad 10x more, but they cost 10x as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vKDxmAxOIQ
>>
>>2772777
WTF did I just watch?
>>
>>2772777
Kekzoz
>>
>>2772777
Speaking of hasselblad:

I've had a beater of a 500C for years, but lately I've been neglecting it for the 4x5. That I only have the 80mm lens sometimes feels limiting, though. If I'm taking a mix of landscape and portraiture, but never studio-style close-up portraiture, would the 120mm be a good upgrade?

I'm a poorfag, thinking of going to Peru this summer, wanted to bring the hasselblad and my nikon f2. Working part time, I'm kind of worried it'll end up being a choice between

>go to peru

or

>buy another hasselblad lens

In the past two years I've just fallen out of taking pictures regularly because school and work is overwhelming me. Wanna' go on another honeymoon with my two starting cameras.
>>
>>2772777
i love your vids man
>>
>>2768987
No you really did well, but.

Why not the RZ67? Doesnt even have to be the Pro II Version, but i mean its lighter, has better lenses, electronically controlled shutter (more accurate), newer body and thus more reliable, more accesories etc.

But nevertheless i confess a full mechanical body is something really nice.
>>
>>2768987
>200
>medium format
>mamiya
im jelly, i wanted to find this kind of deal for a while so i can get into medium format
>>
>>2773676
If the choice is ever between traveling vs gear the answer is always traveling.

I've spent close to $15k on traveling in the past 4 years. I could have a lot of bad ass camera gear but instead stuck with my reliable kit and was able to shoot photos in 12 different countries. Added up I think all of those trips add up to almost 6 months of travel. No regrets at all. Fuck gear, buy a plane ticket. 80mm is such a nice focal length for general purpose on 6x6. I'd say the majority of my landscape photos are taken with mine despite me also having a 50mm and 150mm.

Go to Peru anon, ESPECIALLY if you're feeling burnt out from work and school. If there's a reason to hit the road for a bit it's that one...
>>
>>2774096

Man I am extremely burnt out on school. I'm one of those losers who went to school late, had some life issues that set me back another 2 years, and I'm finally set to finish this year.

All this time I postponed traveling in my early 20's, while friends went all over. I've decided that squirreling away shit in the bank when interest rates are low is useless. I'd like to finally do some adventuring.

At 24 it feels like I've missed out on a lot of life experience.

>>2774101

I just want to see the altiplano and a lot of ruins. Not Macchu Picchu shit, but the huge trove of ruins and archaeological sites all the fuck over. There have been so many sedentary civilizations in Peru/Bolivia for the last 4000-5000 years, that there is all sorts of cool shit to check out.

Also maybe the Yungas if I decide I don't mind getting kidnapped by the Sendero Luminoso remnants.
>>
>>2774133
Dude I've done all that shit since I turned 22 and I just turned 26... It's not too late
>>
Mamiyas are fun. Beware what other people have mentioned though -- you might forget the little things. I have a polaroid back on my RZ67 and I've probably lost a whole 10ct pack of polaroid from forgetting to take out the dark slide when shooting haha.

But seriously that's a pretty good deal. My RZ67 was about 175 after shipping (was 225 but one of the focusing knobs broke off during shipping so I got a partial refund). Mine came with both WLF and a prism. The prism was sort of nice because of the light meter, but the light meter is kind of meh when you compare it to modern ones, and the weight of it made me never use it. Thankfully they go for a decent bit on their own. I sold my prism finder for 130 on ebay. So total cost for an RZ67 was 45 bucks for 2 120 backs, a polaroid back, either an 80mm or 120mm lens I forget, and the body itself. It's sometimes pretty easy to score deals on these guys. So if the RB67 is similarly priced for accessories, sell off the prism finder and boom you have a supremely fun and cheap investment (minus film costs of course)
>>
>>2774069
Well it finally came in the mail today and looks like the light meter doesn't work. I put the right batteries in but the needle barely moves.
I must he doing something wrong. But for now I'm just gonna use my F3 as a meter.
Can't wait to shoot my first roll of 120!
>>
>>2774718
If you have a smartphone download the light meter Free+ app.
>>
File: Rb67.jpg (425 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
Rb67.jpg
425 KB, 2048x1365
Here it is
>>
>>2774718

it's not a big deal. most of the prism finders with meters are broken and the meter isn't that great anyway. make sure you check all the shutter speeds asap and always prime the camera with one single strong stroke. if that lever jams you are in for a world of hurt. also don't store with lever charged.
>>
>>2774810
Are light meter apps good enough or should I get an actual light meter?
>>
>>2776845
Light meter apps are good. Just err on the side of overexposure if you're shooting negative film
>>
What's the cheapest way to get into medium format film?
>>
I want to get a medium format so badly...
>>
>>2776845
On my phone, the light meter apps are very accurate - but only when the illumination level is above 1 lux. Above that, it can measure illuminance to three decimal digits, but anything below 1 lux is just flushed to zero, which means you won't be able to meter streets lit by street lamps and such.
>>
>>2776992
Mamiya 7
>>
>>2780155
>Mamiya 7
You're a shit troll and should feel bad.
>>
>>2777111

then do it, its cheap as fuck for what you get.
>>
>>2777111
Probably a folding camera, if you want something better than a holga.

I got an Ikonta for a fifth of the price of a TLR
>>
File: ikonta-521-2.jpg (50 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
ikonta-521-2.jpg
50 KB, 600x450
>>2780194
meant to quote
>>2776992

Pic related.
Some even come with Tessar lenses
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.